Volkswagen

Updated September 19, 2014
3.6

Volkswagen Chairman Management Board Martin Winterkorn
Martin Winterkorn

Pros
  • Biggest brand name in Auto industry (in 3 reviews)

• Future Good company for existing employee irrespective of profit of organisation (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • German culture too strong and sometimes difficult the work (in 5 reviews)

• Take time to deal with HQ in Wolfsburg (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A great experience working for a top world-class auto manufacturer

Former Employee - Assembly Team Member  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Assembly Team Member in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Volkswagen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Loved with with the advanced technology.

Cons

Not a very good work life balance.

Look beyond what employee tells you in interview to determine who is/is not prmotanle. Too many people know what to say that cannot back up with their actions.

Stohlman Volkswagen Subaru of Tyson's: 3 years I'll never get back

Former Employee - Service Technician  in  Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Vienna, VA

I worked at Volkswagen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful sales staff, advisors and technicians. My coworkers were my friends. Good benefits. Great location.

Cons

Terrible hours. HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE LEADERSHIP. Stohlman service managers create a hostile work environment and verbally assault their employees (LAWSUIT TIME-BOMB). Cost-cutting and profit-bloating rampant. They hire and fire weekly. I remember constantly training new hires, only to watch them leave a few months, or weeks, later. My schedule changed on average every 6 weeks, etc, etc, etc....

Mrs. Stohlman, Mr. Reznek,
    I advise you audit your service department. I implore you to create a better environment for your service employees.
    I have used Stohlman Automotive as a good example of a bad example, in my own business endeavors and discussions. My experience with Stohlman Automotive engraved in me memories of the worst work environment I have ever had. How many more of me are there?
    Also, use your product ;)
    -Anyone who has worked for you

VW

I have been working at Volkswagen

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

No career advance, felt stuck

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunities are not what I expected

I have been working at Volkswagen

Pros

The people are fantastic to work with and the company is genuine in its caring for the customer.

Cons

I was advised I would be able to move through positions quickly and increase my rate as I went. I am now in my third position and my rate has not increased at all.

Be more up front about the opportunities that are available to the worker.

Wonderful place to work

I have been working at Volkswagen

Pros

People share a passion for the brand

Cons

Can't seem to think of one

Keep up the good work, and we will be the number one product in a few years.

great pay but not worth the drama over and over if you have self respect

I worked at Volkswagen part-time

Pros

great pay/laid back work when management absent

Cons

management superiority complex, high schoolish drama, fear tatics and the blame game a normal thing

stop hiring idiots who capped out in high school be in charge cause most of the time their disrespectful bullies who are costing your company customers but blaming their underlings

Had a great time during an Internship.

Former Employee - Parts Logistics Intern  in  Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Parts Logistics Intern in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Volkswagen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very Busy and Competitive environment. Always working on the next goal. opportunity for advancement. Great co-workers. Awesome place to work.

Cons

i don't see any. :)

Great experience

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  Wolfsburg, Lower Saxony (Germany)
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Wolfsburg, Lower Saxony (Germany)

I worked at Volkswagen as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Great management and bonuses. Different job and evolution from one department to another is quite easy. Communication with overseas offices is frequent and valuable in some departments.

Cons

Long decision chain and might take some time to take actions, but not really different from other multinational I worked with. Some difficulties to change of location, but not of department.

Volkswagen INDIA Pvt. Ltd. NOT Volkswagen in Wolfsburg (Glassdoor won't let me select the correct one)

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Pune (India)

I worked at Volkswagen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Its a great environment to be in if you love cars (all of them) as much as I do. If I wanted to take a break from work, I'd follow one of them along part of the assembly line and watch it come to life.

The factory is HUGE and if your boss is as good as mine was, he/she can arrange for you to tour the various departments and study all aspects of the assembly line. Only the machine shop, where the body panels are built, is run by an outside company which did not allow VW employees in to have a look.

My colleagues were great and all of them spoke English so I was able to communicate with them effectively (I speak a little Hindi but English is my stronger language). People wear casual work attire so the work environment is less formal, but you still have to address people formally (using "sir or "madam").

The canteen was actually pretty good and switched up the menu everyday so I got to eat some of my favorite dishes which were made using healthy ingredients.

My head-of-department (Mr. Gosavi) was absolutely fantastic and took interest in my work even though I was just a short-term employee. He greeted me everyday and came around to ask me how my work was going and even took tea breaks with me on occasion. My direct boss (Mr. Kulkarni) was equally great and took time from his very busy schedule to answer my questions and help me with my work.

Cons

As a short term intern (worked for just 6 weeks), I did not get much work to do, and the work I did get was "donkey work" that the full-time employees don't want to do. I spent my first 2 weeks manually entering data into their system and begging my boss for some real work. The interns who work for 6 months get real work to do so I had to cozy up to them and ask them if I could help them with their work.

The employees (both full-time and part-time) get REALLY suspicious when you ask if you can help them with their work, I don't know what it was, but the people felt to me like individual contributors rather than team players.

The commute to and from work is excruciating! The factory is in a remote location (since it occupies 400 acres) and was a good hour away from when I lived. To get to work by 8 am, I had to be at the bus stop by 6:30 am to catch the bus. I usually got home by 7:30 or 8 pm. Volkswagen runs a fleet of 90 buses to pick-up/drop-off most of their employees but the buses themselves are in terrible condition. I fell asleep in the back seat one morning and the bus driver (who thought he was Sebastian Vettel) did not lift off for any potholes, so I was actually lifted off my seat and my head hit a window pretty hard. Did not dare fall asleep on the bus again...

Indian employees are not allowed to hold posts above a certain level, which I thought was a little unfair, but Volkswagen obviously knows what they are doing.

I was an unpaid intern but some of my colleagues who were paid interns earned 8000 rupees per month, which is $133 to put it in perspective. Relative to everyday expenses and the cost of living, this value isn't low compared to interns in other companies, but it is still quite a small sum of money, and not enough to cover expenses.

Investor Relations intern

Current Employee - Investor Relations  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Investor Relations in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Volkswagen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Small team, hands on learning experience, very organized

Cons

Short term role, since I was an intern only

Keep valuing your team members

Worked for Volkswagen? Contribute to the Community!