Volt Information Reviews in Redmond, WA

Updated July 23, 2014
2.7

Volt Information President & CEO Ron Kochman
Ron Kochman

Pros
  • Very tenured, professional staff; respectful culture; good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Affirmative work environment, decent benefits, good co-workers (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for growth or advancement here anymore, most of the time you're just stuck doing the same, repetitve tasks day in and day out (in 7 reviews)

• Was to he liked by upper management or be related (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good management, lots of longevity with staff. Great work life balance

Cons

not the place to build a career. there always seems to be someone out there that will take your job if you don't work hard for it....with little pay

Exceptional Care of Talent

Former Employee - Content Editor in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Content Editor in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with several people at Volt Technical Information Services in Redmond during my a- contract with Microsoft, all of whom were invested in me and who made me feel important and worthwhile.

Cons

People move up from places where they have achieved great training and experience, and that happens to Volt as well, several of the people I worked with there have moved forward with this great company on their resume.

I guess if I had to make a suggestion it would be that "career forward" be even more active in trying to line up previous talent with future contract positions with a clear upward path.

Working Condition

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Volt Information as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good hourly rate compared other Contracting companies

Cons

None, that I can think of.

Good company with good people

Current Employee - Financial Analyst I in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst I in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Volt Information as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They work with you to find the right fit for a contract or vendor role and stick with you till they find you work.

Cons

Sometimes they will find jobs for you that you are either not qualified for or are overqualified for.

Technical Recruiter focusing on contract and contract to hire positions

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training that allows someone with little to no experience ramp up quickly

Cons

Internal relationships are focused too much on seniority and not enough on partnership

Read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. You'll learn everything you need to know about working for Volt.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Getting hired is a cinch. You needn't have all your mental faculties to work their, they're really not picky, any warm body will do.

Cons

-You feel like you're being treated like cattle until you finally realize you're just a lab rat.
    -First day of work I was given no instruction whatsoever, just plopped in front of a monitor and a controller with a packet in front of me for my daily duties. Nobody spoke to me of my responsibilities with the exception of the man yelling at everyone that nothing done or seen there was to be repeated elsewhere.
    -I had to call in an average of 20 times for every 1 day of work I was offered. Took over a month after they hired me before they actually had me work.
    -They will take away your shifts without letting you know in advance and just send you home after you've arrived at work. Just because you called 15 times and they told you to finally come in doesn't mean they'll honor it.

Considering the quality of people they hire their tyrannical approach to the workplace is probably the only way to actually get work done.

Software Tester

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Volt Information part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Communication for this company

Cons

Temporary Work for this company

Microsoft contingent staff

Former Employee - Content Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Content Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I had little or no communication with Volt throughout my two one-year agency contracts at Microsoft, which was fine with me, although it could be challenging for someone who needs more guidance, direction, or feedback.

As an a-, I worked onsite at Microsoft and was integrated with the FTEs, which I preferred over working from home. Being onsite resulted in a more solid and productive relationship with the client team. I formed stronger bonds and had more impact due to increased awareness of what was really going on (there's only so much you can glean from emails and conference calls--it's the pre/post meeting and hallway conversations that make the difference). I've also contracted for Microsoft through a vendor (v-), and unless your company pays the monthly rental fee for you to work onsite, you'll have to work from home or at the vendor's offices.

Cons

Volt's benefits have deteriorated over the years.

During my first contract, my main Volt point of contact was reshuffled three times.

This is my perception and I have no evidence, but I think Volt has lost momentum and that other agencies are trying harder to recruit and retain talent.

I never felt valued by Volt, and that didn't bother me, but others may place a higher importance on that.

Welcome to the Machine

Former Employee - Tech Editor II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Tech Editor II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As far as contracting through Volt, it's not a bad place to work but nothing special either. I'd say it ranks about the same as any other enormous, monolithic, impersonal corporation. Sadly, this is the biggest "Pros" example I can provide.

Cons

Benefits have definitely deteriorated over the years and are not as competitive, relatively speaking, as with other contracting agencies. Communication is often an issue. When I had a question about my benefits, I was treated indifferently and passed along to three different people, the final person not at all confident about her answer.

Improve communication between yourselves and your employees, instructing them to improve communication with their contractors and vendors. Take a pay cut and improve benefits back to normal levels.

Good for short-term employment at Microsoft

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on the group that you get into, it can either be just a paycheck or an interesting gig to be a contractor at Microsoft. Because of the history between contractors and MSFT, team leads are somewhat limited in how they include you as part of the team, but some are better than others about including you at every opportunity. It's a good way to get your foot in the door at Microsoft and to get some good, focused experience in a particular area (dev, test, PM) for a year or two.

Cons

Volt will try to keep your hourly rate low, since they basically make the difference between what they charge MSFT and what they pay you. If, like me, you were coming from a permanent position into Volt, keep in mind that you have to take a 100 day break every year and you are paying for part of your medical benefits, so your hourly rate should be higher than you think it should be.

It's also hard for me to imagine building a career as a Volt contract at Microsoft. I always saw it as a way to pay the rent, have some flexibility (in when I started contracts) and build some skills in preparation for a real career-building job somewhere else down the line.

I think managment (or at least the reps that we, as contractors, interact with) know that many people are using it as a stepping stone to a permanent job (either at MSFT or elsewhere; and they are clearly rewarded for just getting relatively-inoffensive people in to fill positions quickly without any real concern for that person's career objectives. So it's an odd symbiotic relationship in which neither side really likes the other - and that's ok for what most poeple expect from being a contractor. I guess I'd just say don't pretend like it's anything more. Also, pay the full medical insurance premiums, rather than having the employee's contribute. At least in the software industry, that is the industry standard, and it might make people feel better about staying with Volt a little longer than we typically do, which would be good for Volt as well.

Volt Information Photos