Volt Information
www.volt.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Volt Information Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014
Volt Information – US – “VOLT Information Sciences”

Volt Information President & CEO Ron Kochman

Ron Kochman

Pros:
  • "Ability to maintain work / life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Affirmative work environment, decent benefits, good co-workers"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Was to he liked by upper management or be related"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Very flat organization--not much room for growth"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nothing special about the company

Assembler (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsMost jobs are temp to hire

ConsLike most temp agencies, when they don't need they wont let you know in advance. No benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementI have seen some talented guys who spend a few days and quit

Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen your contract is over they are willing to help you find a job, if you left in a good stand.

ConsRepresentatives change continuously. You are kind of on the dark in finding out information.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the great work.

Run, don't walk, run as fast as you can and don't look back!

ProsYou are paid every Friday.

ConsMore and more work will be assigned, vacation and personal day off requests denied, long workdays and weekends included in fixed salary, non-flexible micromanagement of tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need more work-life balance and vacation/personal day off requests should be respected.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Test II at Microsoft

ProsGood stepping stone to computer industry.

ConsRunning automated tests everyday, and having developers close bugs as won't fix wasn't very rewarding.

This used to be a great company to work for..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey " USED" to have Great management..great employees.. And a fair employer.. But over the 13 years I was employed there.. The company went a whole other direction!

ConsIn order to get any where in the corporate office.. Was to he liked by upper management or be related! A lot of nepotism on this company! I worked 13 years for this company and was eventually forced to resign due to the pressures being bestowed upon me by a VP and his side kick! Unfortunately, going to HR was just a BIGGER JOKE!

Advice to Senior ManagementCLEAN YOUR HOUSE! LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES.. JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE A VP TITLE DOESNT MEAN THEY KNOW WHAT THERE DOING.

Bad management, great hours, lots of overtime.

Warehouse Receiver (Former Employee)
    Elk Grove, CA

ProsThere is plenty of hours and overtime available. reasonable amount of vacation time and working conditions are reasonable.

Consterrible management, and staffing. The place is set up in a way that the trainees know more than the trainers. If doesn't make sense but that is volt. Be prepared to work next to convicts and under them also , volt hires a lot of them. Volt does not care about you, you are only labor to them.

Advice to Senior Managementget some, its like the place runs itself. Don't higher trainers that know less than trainees. There is no uniformity in the work environment and it makes it hard to stay consistent with the weekly objectives.

A means to an end that might fit the bill for a time

Senior Software Engineer (Contract Placement) (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsMostly professional, seemingly competent, the only agency I could find that would work with TN Visa applicants. (In this admittedly narrow area, I have to say they did excel!! Their legal department provided information and assistance that took the guesswork and explanations out of making a successful TN Status application.) If you're prepared to drive and ask for what you want, and if circumstances are such that your needs can align with theirs such that they make as much money as you do, they will probably help make it happen.

ConsNotwithstanding the occasional email and even lunch meet to the contrary, you are just a product to be sold, and maybe not even that. Their cut of fees is high, their benefits low. Medical wasn't worth considering. Training opportunities were spoken of but never panned out. Even the amount of effort and/or concern to keep you happily and productively employed sub-basement. I had trouble discovering when my contracts were scheduled to end.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have to presume management is running the company they wish to run. I would hope for a company that treated both sides of the employer-employee match as valuable resources to maintain and build relationships with, with slight preference of course to the side that pays the bills. Still I would hope to be at least a name and number that mattered at least some of the time.

Exceptional Care of Talent

Content Editor (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsI worked with several people at Volt Technical Information Services in Redmond during my a- contract with Microsoft, all of whom were invested in me and who made me feel important and worthwhile.

ConsPeople move up from places where they have achieved great training and experience, and that happens to Volt as well, several of the people I worked with there have moved forward with this great company on their resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementI guess if I had to make a suggestion it would be that "career forward" be even more active in trying to line up previous talent with future contract positions with a clear upward path.

People don't leave companies, people leave people....

Recruiter (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGood foundation to get into the industry
    Great people on a local level - Northern California

ConsPay, executive management direction, communication from the top is not clear nor is it transparent whether the company cares about it's employees, shareholders, or customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe re-org was the best thing to do to have your best employees exit the company. Great job

Tenure Has No Value

Orange, CA

ProsGreat ability to move around within the company. Always had the feeling that we were contributing to a growing company that helps people find jobs.

ConsRecent restructuring has made the environment more stressful. While previous management always claimed to value the employees, recent changes have proved that tenure and dedication don't really count for much. Many tenured, experienced, excellent employees have recently been laid off as the company direction has changed dramatically.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the original "family" concept of the founders and treat your dedicated employees with the respect and appreciation they deserve.

Worked for Volt Information? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Volt Information reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Volt Information CEO Ron Kochman. All 270 reviews posted anonymously by Volt Information employees.