Volunteers of America

Volunteers of America Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Volunteers of America President & CEO Michael King

Michael King

Pros
  • trying to help make a difference in someones life (in 5 reviews)

• Great entry level work in the human services, mental health, chemical dependency counseling fields (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • ever changing upper management who would change the focus as soon as they entered position (in 7 reviews)

• There was no room for advancement or any type of professional growth (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Tremendous Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis was a great place to work. Must stay on top of your game and work hard. No room for slacking off.

ConsNeeds some room to expand for conferences and meetings. A little cramped in certain places.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Great atmosphere and coworkers

Case Manager (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsCadillac health, vision and dental plans. In fact all of the benefits are wonderful

ConsHourly rate could be better

Great opportunity for entry level experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proseasily gain entry level experience

ConsLack of organization. Lack of employee support. Corporate minded.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue and communicate with your good employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a good starting point

ProsCompany community philosophy, programs offered, good place to get a career start, many different areas of services, decent health care. Pay is OK for not-for-profits, and good for starting out.

ConsPay is lower than other not-for-profits, and shockingly lower than for-profits. There are very few pay increases, even for cost-of-living, and little room for advancement. Benefits could be better as well. PTO/Vacation/Sick benefits are dreadful. Even after a few years of service, they still do not compare to others. Senior management is good, but I can understand how people would not like corporate level executives. At first they appear as difficult to work with, very hierarchical, a little controlling, and not overly open to change. That perception has changed a little, but it's still there. I think the company is also too focused on being uniform across the organization, and do not fully understand there are inevitable differences.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand differences in your services, and what those mean for creating benefits, salaries, policies and positions specific to each service area, not as you would like for the entire organization. Understand how to better increase moral through benefits like better PTO, if pay increases cannot happen.

NAR

NAR (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGot the shift I desired right when I started. Gentle on attendance.

ConsManagement yanks you around this way and that. Change your holidays to work without telling you, even after you've taken vacation around them. It's communism, all the aides get the same pay based on time not on performance. So for those that work hard, why bother, when someone slacking off tremendously gets the same pay as you. Oh and the nurse manager blames them slacking on you! HR doesn't stand up for you. When you file against someone harassing you. It goes no where's. And if your the right race, you can get away with anything and get everything you want. Just crazy there! Desperately looking to get out soon

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open minded. Look at both sides of the situation. And don't favor based on race!

Great Company

Direct Support Professional II (Current Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsI really enjoy working for this company. They promote from within and coming from retail this field is extremely laid back. You dont have to worry about being micromanaged and if you do your job the only time management really pushes you is when its licensing time. Other than that the company is great. If you are knew to this field it is a great company to start and branch off to higher paying organizations if you dont decide to stay.

ConsPay, many companies pay more and have better benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementNo really advice to management other than maybe they should look into increasing the base pay for DSPs.

Great company to work for.

Crew Lead (Former Employee) Brunswick, OH

ProsThey promote from within, based on performance.

ConsThey are very structured and adhere to strict rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are very structured and adhere to strict rules.

Celebrate diversity and caring for those left behind

Housing Case Manager (Former Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsLeadership, creative, caring, outreach, core mission was shown through daily support of supervisors

Conslittle room for advancement; no over time pay; budget cuts

Great Job

Property Manager/Communities Administrator (Former Employee) Mobile, AL

ProsHuman Service Organization, providing Affordable Housing for 3 Senior Citizen (PRAC 202s). Great team, great supervisors, excellent training and compliance standards! Great Mission Work! Great Benefits

ConsLow Salary for 3 area properties after 9+ yrs. (A Non-profit organization that relied heavily on grant funding, making promised pay increase difficult to deliver.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a devoted employee has above average evaluations, excellent (Superior) MORs & REACs; management should value employee to the point that compensation commensurate with job responsibilities.

Great organization to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsThe staff are welcoming, friendly and qualified. I have worked at multiple sites through out the area and am always welcomed with a smile. From the bottom to the top, employees are connected to the mission and the residents they serve. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 8 years with this organization.

ConsI do not have any Cons to list

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work making the employees feel appreciated and spreading the word on the amazing work they do.

Worked for Volunteers of America? Contribute to the Community!