Volunteers of America

Volunteers of America Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Volunteers of America President & CEO Michael King

Michael King

Pros:
  • "trying to help make a difference in someones life"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Decent benefits, a good place to start entry level work"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "ever changing upper management who would change the focus as soon as they entered position"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Yes, I am aware it is a non profit but its terrible"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It's a good starting point

ProsCompany community philosophy, programs offered, good place to get a career start, many different areas of services, decent health care. Pay is OK for not-for-profits, and good for starting out.

ConsPay is lower than other not-for-profits, and shockingly lower than for-profits. There are very few pay increases, even for cost-of-living, and little room for advancement. Benefits could be better as well. PTO/Vacation/Sick benefits are dreadful. Even after a few years of service, they still do not compare to others. Senior management is good, but I can understand how people would not like corporate level executives. At first they appear as difficult to work with, very hierarchical, a little controlling, and not overly open to change. That perception has changed a little, but it's still there. I think the company is also too focused on being uniform across the organization, and do not fully understand there are inevitable differences.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand differences in your services, and what those mean for creating benefits, salaries, policies and positions specific to each service area, not as you would like for the entire organization. Understand how to better increase moral through benefits like better PTO, if pay increases cannot happen.

Great Company

Direct Support Professional II (Current Employee)
    Manassas, VA

ProsI really enjoy working for this company. They promote from within and coming from retail this field is extremely laid back. You dont have to worry about being micromanaged and if you do your job the only time management really pushes you is when its licensing time. Other than that the company is great. If you are knew to this field it is a great company to start and branch off to higher paying organizations if you dont decide to stay.

ConsPay, many companies pay more and have better benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementNo really advice to management other than maybe they should look into increasing the base pay for DSPs.

Great company to work for.

Crew Lead (Former Employee)
    Brunswick, OH

ProsThey promote from within, based on performance.

ConsThey are very structured and adhere to strict rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are very structured and adhere to strict rules.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Celebrate diversity and caring for those left behind

Housing Case Manager (Former Employee)
    Spokane, WA

ProsLeadership, creative, caring, outreach, core mission was shown through daily support of supervisors

Conslittle room for advancement; no over time pay; budget cuts

Great Job

Property Manager/Communities Administrator (Former Employee)
    Mobile, AL

ProsHuman Service Organization, providing Affordable Housing for 3 Senior Citizen (PRAC 202s). Great team, great supervisors, excellent training and compliance standards! Great Mission Work! Great Benefits

ConsLow Salary for 3 area properties after 9+ yrs. (A Non-profit organization that relied heavily on grant funding, making promised pay increase difficult to deliver.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a devoted employee has above average evaluations, excellent (Superior) MORs & REACs; management should value employee to the point that compensation commensurate with job responsibilities.

It was a very rewarding job.

Residential Trainer (Former Employee)
    LaFayette, GA

ProsIf you enjoy helping people to get back on their feet, this is the job for you. If you enjoy working with dysfunctional, disabled adults by helping them learn daily goals and helping them achieve their goals then this is the job for you.

ConsThe challenges are working with these special persons and them not able to achieve their goals.

Great Company!

DSP (Current Employee)
    Woodbridge, VA

ProsAlot of autonomy. I really like working here

ConsNot all staff are on the same page. Management doesn't like squeaky wheels.

terrible they lie and don't due what they say there going to do

Recovery Assistant (Former Employee)
    Murray, UT

Prosit did help women and children

Consquit the business closed the doors

Advice to Senior Managementcare about other people

Great organization to work for

Saint Paul, MN

ProsThe staff are welcoming, friendly and qualified. I have worked at multiple sites through out the area and am always welcomed with a smile. From the bottom to the top, employees are connected to the mission and the residents they serve. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 8 years with this organization.

ConsI do not have any Cons to list

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work making the employees feel appreciated and spreading the word on the amazing work they do.

Huge personal growth potential in a ministry of service to the most vulerable populations.

Eden Prairie, MN

ProsI love working for VOA, this company has brought me from a Nursing Assistant to a HR professional over the course of 18 years of employment and counting.
    I have been able to take advantage of scholarship opportunities to advance my education and career and am forever grateful for the support of many amazing direct supervisors and leaders who have and continue to mentor me.
    Working for VOA will give you an opportunity to make a difference in the people and communities you serve and will leave you with a sense of satisfaction that you cannot get in many other companies. There are many dedicated employees with over 30 years of service and that to me speaks volumes to the integrity of this organization.

ConsThere are no cons that I can think of that are unique to this organization. I feel that VOA does there best to live the mission as it realates to both the people they serve and to the staff members they employ.

Worked for Volunteers of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Volunteers of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Volunteers of America CEO Michael King. All 103 reviews posted anonymously by Volunteers of America employees.