Volunteers of America

Updated November 18, 2014
3.2

Volunteers of America President & CEO Michael King
Michael King

Pros
  • trying to help make a difference in someones life (in 3 reviews)

• Great entry level work in the human services, mental health, chemical dependency counseling fields (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • ever changing upper management who would change the focus as soon as they entered position (in 8 reviews)

• A Non-profit organization that relied heavily on grant funding, making promised pay increase difficult to deliver (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A good place to grow

Current Employee - Program Supervisor in Milaca, MN
    Current Employee - Program Supervisor in Milaca, MN

I have been working at Volunteers of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

VOA is a faith based organization where you can live out your faith, but not a "religious" organization that tells you what to believe, they simply allow you to be a person of faith. There is opportunity to grow, to advance within your position, taking on more if you wish. There are committed to the people they serve and they do genuinely care. They are moving forward with technology and with constant improvement to current systems. They are affiliated with a national organization in 47 states so you can potentially move anywhere and still work with VOA.

Cons

There is not a lot of room to move up in positions. They recently became more lean and cost effective, which is healthy, but there are less upper level positions at this time.

Management has been great at developing a one VOA culture. It has also allowed people at lower levels to be involved in things at the corporate office. I would advise a continuation of moving in the direction thay are going.

Has to be the most unorganized company I have ever worked for in my life. They don't care ANYTHING about their employees.

Current Employee - Residential Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Residential Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Volunteers of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A chance to be the difference in someone's life.

Cons

The constant fake portrayal of having the best site in the organization.

Listen to the people in the lower positions. Such as front desk and childcare.

It's ok

I worked at Volunteers of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

When the program is doing well you are doing well. Compensation is decent but it is competitive with other non-profits. Very flexible with being able to balance work and home life.

Cons

If your program was not doing well not much was thought of you. There can be more talk than walk sometimes. Not a lot of chance for advancement.

Appreciate staff all the way down.

it was good a good experience

Former Employee - Cook in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Cook in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Volunteers of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

i learned a lot while i was there

Cons

there needs to be more training in the kitchen dept.

Low pay but great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Volunteers of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at Volunteers of America are salt of the earth and enjoy what they do.

Cons

As with any non-profit, the pay is hard to live on, but the benefits are allright and the "psychic income" of enjoying what you do helps.

Nice Atmosphere

Current Employee - Volunteer in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Volunteers of America part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I volunteer for this company. It's very low maintenance and I love working with the people here. I took a break to attend school but I recently returned. I very much enjoy my time there.

Cons

It is unpaid but most volunteer work is.

"Portland, OR VOA IS A NIGHTMARE, POMPOUS, JUDGEMENTAL, CLULESS MEDICAL & DRUG COURT MANAGEMENT IS HORRIBLE

Current Employee - Counselor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Counselor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Volunteers of America as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clients are highlight of VOA PORTLAND, OR. Specifically InAct.

Cons

Where to start? InAct is so bad that you are better off working in fast food. The management is ran with intimidation and a sexist bias towards any woman that is an embarresment to the entire organization.

I resigned after watching a talented, strong woman get railroaded and lied about pushed out of her job. It was shameful and I doubt that if the truth were known by CEO or someone unbiased anyone would have there job.
    Medical Adminstration is rude, unkind, condescending and selfish to the point of treating the underlings with complete bias and disregrad. The mission of social justice is laughable as they treat their employees with sexism, bias, injustice and harrassment is best you can get if you speak up.

Despicable

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Volunteers of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only saving grace was knowing that your work was wrapped around helping the disadvantaged. That your contribution mattered to those people who needed help, and the satisfaction of knowing, at the end of the day, that you made a difference, even if it was just buying toiletries for women in the shelter.

Cons

Miserable director who spent all her time whining about her love life, ignoring the complaints of long term employees, well versed in the "code" of conduct, who tried to improve the efficiency and comply with the standards.

Miss Misery gave all those folks horrible reviews, and had them terminated over bogus claims of poor performance. Employees that had been commended, and received awards for outstanding work were rewarded by being fired.

Miserable, miserable place.

CLEAN HOUSE. Terminate those directors whose only purpose in life is to protect her rear end by terminating loyal, hard working, DEDICATED, individuals devoted to upholding the mission of VOA before this woman single-handedly destroys your organization's reputation. One of your former employees is now HOMELESS. Despicable treatment....just despicable.

Volunteers of America Delaware Valley

Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Phila, PA

I have been working at Volunteers of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The clients in the developmental disability division. I'm a site supervisor and I enjoys the clients a lot. My staff are pretty cool and My supervisor is very good and understanding of my situation. Most days I like coming to work for the most part

Cons

The health insurance is way too expensive for the family plan and not good. Get a better insurance package for employees, that will go along way; The HR department are too critical of staff and does not understand what it's like to be on the front-lines; The managers in Collingswood NJ under housing and supportive service division treats employees poorly unless your one of their favorites. Last but not lease the site supervisors pay is awful. We need a raise, have not had a raise ever.

learn how to manage better, give employees raises, other companies pay site supervisors like $15 dollars an hour to do the same work, support us more

My coworkers and the customers in intellectual disabilities were great but I resigned abruptly from my position.

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Volunteers of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive and collegial staff, especially most of the other program coordinators and the service director who was pretty new when I resigned. I was looking forward to working with these people who had emotional intelligence social skills and smarts and who has just signed on to the company, however, the division director and the COO asked for my resignation in the middle of a crisis that I had no control over. I though this was unfair. Even though this was the case I ended up moving and I'm working in a much better place.

Cons

Low employee morale; stressful job; housing division director with no warmth, poor social skills/rude/mood swings and a bias against female staff; low pay for the amount of work you do; poor work-life balance because you are on call all the time; no training, you are literally thrown into the role and you have to sink or swim. The division director in housing literally yelled at the staff a lot of the time when frustrated and handled herself poorly when dealing with hard situations. Maybe it's slightly better now but I don't think so since I still keep in touch with a few of the staff there.

Volunteers of America Photos