Volusion Reviews

110 reviews filtered by
3.2
Volusion CEO Clay Olivier
Clay Olivier

Pros
  • There is so much free food, be prepared to gain weight (in 11 reviews)

• Good perks, good culture, good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing compared to other places I've been, but sometimes work/life balance can be a challenge when rolling towards a deadline (in 4 reviews)

• Things can move crazy quick at times, and sometimes you feel the growing pains (in 5 reviews)

1. Amazing culture

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Group unit tested
    Lot's of fun place to work at inside the building
    Got a lap top, so if needed you could work from home
    Strongly believes in continuous integration
    don't micromanage your in and out time
    endless supply of snacks
    friendly and smart people

Cons

manager's attitude was hot and cold (hear this has changed, which is why the company overall review is higher in stars)
    Open environment only getting a small desk (table size) to function on

I was going to say make your manager friendly and open to conversation, but I heard he is removed now

2. Great Company for those looking to build their resume

I worked at Volusion

Pros

-Your coworkers are usually fantastic. Volusion does a great job of hiring great people
    -With the company in a transition stage, you are usually given tasks that would not be asked of the position. This is an opportunity to build your experience as well as your resume
    -It's located in Austin, a city I am happy to call home.

Cons

-Poor compensation in regards to the industry standard
    -Low benefits and culture. The company is split between two buildings with little to bring them together. A snack wagon is used in lieu of real benefits with lack luster invest intended to lull the Volusion masses into putting up with occasional sub par treatment. With that being said, my time at Volusion was mostly enjoyable
    -Fair treatment across departments. My department was encouraged to think of itself as it's own entity against the others, better than the others. In addition to this, the duties of the department and pressures put upon it by upper management created an atmosphere of fear in that if you were to look up from your screen or read the occasional news article, you might be berated with passive aggressive remarks. All of this, under the guise of playful teasing that would cause you to always be on edge, like a dog that has been beaten one too many times.

Once again, overall, decent company. But I think I do have a form of PTSD that has carried over into my current work environment

Try to institute culture all across the board. If you are going to send half your employees home because it is sunny outside, for God's sake, don't send that message to the employees who have no option to go home (i.e. support)

Pay your employees fairly and recognize them. A plaque and a parking spot doesn't pay bills like it used to.

3. Support Concierge

Current Employee - Support Concierge in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Support Concierge in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion

Pros

Definitely the abundance of food and ice cream that they have.

Cons

Typical call center job, what can you expect

5. Friendly environment. Lots of young folks.

Current Employee - Web Designer
    Current Employee - Web Designer

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome people, good work/life balance.

Cons

The company grew fast so they have associated growing pains.

Hire the best.

6. Fast-Growing Austin Tech Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Quickly growing company, room for growth & promotion in many departments
    Company culture relies on being fun. Free food, birthday celebrations, beer Fridays, etc. Your typical "we're a cool tech company!" deal.
    Healthy work-life balance, I never felt crushed by my workload.

Cons

Location (north Austin) is inconvenient for those of us living in downtown/eastside/south Austin
    I would rather be paid more and have more vacation time than receive free snacks and other "fun perks"
    There was a sense of negativity and disconnect between teams in some cases. Some people were really happy here, the ones that weren't took it out on their coworkers.

Be transparent. There is more to cultivating a great place to work than just fun free food and team-building activities.

7. SEO Associate at Volusion Inc

Former Employee - SEO Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - SEO Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best Culture, lots of team outings, opportunity to learn new things, great team and work environment

Cons

Lots of waiting time getting tasks approved or pushed through dev team.

Support Concierge

Current Employee - Support Concierge
    Current Employee - Support Concierge

I have been working at Volusion

Pros

Very positive and fun culture and work environment. Great benefits package. Lots of growth and possibilities for career advancement .

Cons

Low pay for hourly workers, raises are rare and small. Favoritism is common, promotions seem heavily influenced by out of office relationships.

Offer more incentive for support concierges to stay with the company to reduce turnover.

9. Volusion review

I have been working at Volusion

Pros

- there is an open WFH policy 2 days a week(developers)
    -LAX environment where you can really work and dress as you please
    - People are generally nice and want you to advance

Cons

- Company is split up into two offices so you have no idea what others are doing
    - Teams are very siloed, and there is rarely cross team collaboration
    - Product is a bit lagging compared to competition

Volusion Response

Feb 11, 2015People & Culture Team Member

It is great to hear you enjoy the work environment at Volusion! We are constantly working to cultivate a relaxed, enjoyable office presence. Having a divided workforce is not easy nor ideal, but we ... More

Great Jumping Point for Your Future Career

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is great about recognizing talent within individuals and redefining their role in the company to utilize those strengths. I began my time in this company with many others at the bottom of the company in the Support department. Within a year, everyone who desired to move out of the department into another role within the company did so (the department contained roughly 50 people at that time). This is a common recurrence every year, so that the company is beneficially saturated with those who have changed roles multiple times, honing in on their expertise.

The culture here is also very relaxed, open, and fun. A fair amount of good food, quarterly outings during company time with your department, all the main holidays off, and various fun events during the year.

Cons

Although it is easy to move freely from role to role, the salary is not very high in any position unless you are in upper management or in one of the few select departments (such as Product) who seem to actually have money.

Great job at promoting individuals within your company, but pay them what they're worth.

Volusion Response

Jan 22, 2015People & Culture Team Member

Thanks for your feedback! At Volusion we love to cultivate talent and promote from within the organization – so I’m glad to hear you were able to experience that. Helping employees advance into a ... More

It could be worse?

I worked at Volusion full-time

Pros

This is not a bad place to work... it's just not a good one. If you are looking for a services role or already have an established resume, I would skip this and just look elsewhere for employment. However, if you have made some bad life mistakes or have no technical knowledge, background, or work history... they will probably still give you a job in Support.

The rest of this summary assumes you are looking at an entry level Support role... although savvy job-hunters from any field might wish read on to see how they treat "the least of these". I did get to work with other departments and this applies to a much lesser extent for them... although they have their own issues.

In general the culture is toxic and pretty phony, benefits are on the low end of acceptable (mostly token gestures outside of the mandated medical), training is negligible, and compensation is going to be significantly lower than normal for most roles. However, there is an upside...!!

Because of the systemic lack of pay parody and upper managements inability to be honest with themselves, they are always starved for talent. Better companies constantly draw off their best with roles opening and filling in an endless revolving door. This makes working there a bit disjointed but means that if you can stick it out... you may be able to make a career for yourself that a better company wouldn't let you hammer into. Just be aware that this cuts both ways as the truly mediocre can get to positions they aren't qualified for (Peter Principle) and then stick around indefinitely. That being said, some of the people you will meet here are fantastic (always be networking).

Basically, Support is a great place to cut your teeth if you have made some mistakes in life or just need an entry point into tech jobs. It can also a good way to break back into a career that's fallen off since the recession. The key is to get friendly with your boss and repeat their core 'message' (no matter the department) and push for promotion as soon as you can reasonably do so. Along the way, study the marketable skills as much they will let you, network with the best people you meet, and keep your head down. Raises are a joke and career pathing is something you have to network into... but it can be done, and you can wind up with a career level title. Learn fast, play ball, and stick it out for 2-3 years and you can get into a better role and then move on to better things.

Cons

Before I go on, let's take a look at something that will tell you everything you really need to know about the 'Cons'. Let's stop for a second and look at the rest of these reviews ... and really look at them. Open up the Review tab and do a sort-by Date. Then scroll down, check page 2, page 3, and page 4.

Take a look at the 1-2 star reviews... and then notice the 4 and 5 star reviews. Pay close attention to the 1/2 vs 4/5 star reviews that sit right next to each other where both people held the same role. Across that dividing line between 1/2 and 4/5, they sure sound different don't they? It's almost like there are some people being strongly encouraged to leave glowing reviews (hint: they totally are).

However, if you need to get into tech... that makes this a very viable option. They play cover up passably well but the hiring patterns don't lie. The Support role can get you in the door but then you should learn/work your tail off for 6-9 months (a year+ for slow learners) and start applying for positions outside of Support. You will probably have to study up on your own time to be ready for those roles (they won't train you much on marketable skills unless you make the technical squad) but (if you've done your networking) it's very doable in a year. After two or three years, take your shiny new title and get out.

Along the way remember a few things.
    1) Don't trust your managers -
    They are not your friend, they are not your mentor... they are the voice of their managers and so on up the chain. But they can be your ticket to better things if they like you. Work your tail off and volunteer for any extra work you can get. (This is a pit-stop, remember?)

2) Don't ever criticize the company (even in passing, even in private) -
    This is key to getting in good enough with the decision makers to be given opportunities to learn.

3) Play Ball but.... Don't Drink The Cool-Aid -
    Play it cool, but don't buy in... what they're selling is a dream.

How should I know? Maybe if bolder decisions had been made before the recession an IPO would have been viable by 2009. They weren't and it wasn't. All the other symptoms flows out of the strain of milking the money cow when she is probably past her prime. An innovative mainline (SMB) product could change this, but that's how it looks now.

If you lost a battle, maybe the strategy was bad or you were just unlucky... but if you're losing the war, maybe the general is the problem.