Volusion

Volusion Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Volusion CEO Clay Olivier

Clay Olivier

Pros:
  • "They also hire a pretty good group of people that really make or break your experience there"
    in 5 reviews
  • "We get to have fun in an open, relaxed work environment and have quarterly outings with our teams"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Growing pains as company develops"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Nothing compared to other places I've been, but sometimes work/life balance can be a challenge when rolling towards a deadline"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company, great team

Front End Developer (Current Employee)

ProsTons of extra little things that make coming into work enjoyable, like too many to list. But my favorites are always stocked free ice cream, playing video games with team members occasionally, not being micro managed and being trusted to do my job, friendly and hardworking team members, team outings, work from home sometimes, and casual dress/casual atmosphere.

ConsHonestly none so far! I'm excited to be working here and it would take a lot to persuade me to work somewhere else

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work.

QA Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe people and the culture are great. I enjoy everyone I work with and they each have something unique to offer. Career development is pushed and rewarded.

ConsLoud. Fast paced. Offensive and annoying at times. If that's your kind of environment then you can flourish at Volusion.

Really enjoy my time here

Front End Developer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe culture and people are fantastic. I don't dread coming into work. The perks and benefits are quite nice as well, and they continually ask us what they can do to make it better. The company is also trying to stay with the times and create products that are up-to-date, so there are always new things to learn.

ConsThe company has grown so large that there is no real upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being transparent about your expectations for the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to be but more of a stepping stone to something better

Search Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsPositive work environment, good company culture, great people to work with. Overall, this is a good place to work day to day. As long as you get your work done, there is not any micromanaging and it is a great place to work. I enjoyed my time at Volusion

ConsSalaries are low, not much room for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensate the employees you want to keep around. More transparency.

Working at Volusion

Design Services Consultant (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsFun Environment, Great coworkers, pushes you to better yourself, culture is top notch, opportunities are endless. I've learned so much while working there! Because of my time there I was able widen my scope of eCommerce and take those skills onward and upward. I'm thankful for that. The management team and HR are there for our best interests. Past all that, it's a legit place to be.

ConsThis isn't a job to collect a salary. This is a job to grind your way to the top and be the best you can be. It requires you to bring your A game daily and top notch.

Advice to Senior Managementwork-life balance

Great ecommerce experience during its early growth period.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy manager was the reason I was there. Free yoga, casual dress

ConsOut of communication with everyone. Super competitive market. Hard to transfer departments. Wasting quality talent, Lack of leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in communication with employees and departments. Promote, promote, promote people

Quantity Over Quality

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsFree ice cream. I really like the people and the vibe here.

ConsFree ice cream. I saw a sign posted "Done > Perfect". This pretty much sums up the philosophy at Volusion. Getting things done is far more important than putting out a quality product. The founder has to have his fingers in everything and has problems deferring responsibility where appropriate, making arbitrary deadlines based on absolutely no data whatsoever, which stresses out everyone involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementThose in management have bosses too, I know, but sometimes you have to push back when necessary.

Was a great startup company with idea of great opportunities but none came true for tenured employees

Ecommerce Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prosculture, celebrating birthdays, team building, training that is ongoing, community involvement,

Consinexperienced management in sales, too young and arrogant for the knowledge and lack of product knowledge they carried. Continuous communication about internal growth and new opportunities for vertical advancement yet no positions would ever come available for anyone to apply to. Changes in the Sales Department that negatively affected the sales teams pay structure that made them work harder for less pay and took away motivation for selling more by constant negative changes to commission structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give your management across all departments the proper training to communicate properly to their team, to do whatever it takes to show your team as a manager you are working hard for them and if you schedule 1x1s and career building meetings for your reps MAKE TIME for them and if they need to be rescheduled SHOW UP and MAKE TIME. show your employees you are investing in them and you will not have such a high turnover rate as you do now

Good People & Bad Management

Austin, TX

Prosdecent perks, snacks everywhere, game room, lots of events, smart & kind coworkers, work is easy, hiring process isn't bad

Consdon't expect a lot of training, everyone keeps quitting(meaning that we have delays on clients), they put people in charge that should not be in charge, BOGUS meetings, etc.

Advice to Senior Managementtry harder. Actually THINK about who you're putting in charge.

Decent work/ TERRIBLY managed

Support Concierge (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsDecent software, way more feature packed than any of the competitors out there.
    1st line managers/leads are awesome
    Design/Marketing are great departments

ConsWorse pay than all the other competitors
    More work than the competitors
    Support and dev is very mis-handled by management (IE. major feature release was tested by QA for less than a week and released during the busiest time of the year)

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement in support minus the new head is pretty terrible and there are some people that should NOT be in leadership roles. Pay your GOOD/SMART employees more so they don't leave and recognize them. If they can make 5 an hour more at BigCom or somewhere else for doing LESS work, they WILL leave. Pay to Play. Take better to criticism. If lots of people are complaining about something, maybe its a company policy or set of management that should change, don't blackball them. I was one of the smartest employees theyve had in support ever, but was blackballed because of my strong personality. Management usually spends more time on FB or not working than doing actual work.

Worked for Volusion? Contribute to the Community!

Volusion Videos

Volusion – Why Work for Us?

Our mission is to help turn your big idea into a successful online business From the start in the bedroom of Founder, Kevin Sproles, to today’s worldwide operations, we’ve kept one goal in mind: provide an easy and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Volusion reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Volusion CEO Clay Olivier. All 85 reviews posted anonymously by Volusion employees.