Volusion

www.volusion.com
  www.volusion.com

Volusion Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
1,000 Reviews
4.3
1,000 Reviews

Volusion CEO Clay Olivier
Clay Olivier

Pros
  • Free food, opportunity to learn important and useful skill set, cool co-workers (in 12 reviews)

• Good perks, good culture, good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing compared to other places I've been, but sometimes work/life balance can be a challenge when rolling towards a deadline (in 4 reviews)

• Things can move crazy quick at times, and sometimes you feel the growing pains (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A fun place that takes itself very seriously

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time

Pros

The workplace atmosphere is pretty laid back, which is great for a mid to large company. The HR department does a really good job of making the place seem fun and inviting. The benefits packages are also very good. They also hire a pretty good group of people that really make or break your experience there.

Cons

Despite the work hard, play hard mentality, it doesn't balance out very evenly. It's a serious company way more than it is a fun company. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but beware, you can't coast by. You step out of line and they have no qualms about letting you know and/or go.

The people make the atmosphere and are what keep people coming to work. Don't forget that, you can loosen the reigns a lot more so people don't all feel like they're so expendable, even if they are.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People - The people at Volusion are definitely the best thing about working here.

Work - The work is challenging and exciting.

Environment - The office space is nice with a living room and a number of different sitting areas you can work in. They give most teams laptops so you can move around during the day and not be tethered to a desk. The game room has a ping pong table, shuffle board, and pool table. People ride scooters to get to and from conference rooms. Nerf gun wars and office games are common.

Perks - Perks like hack days, bring your dog to work Fridays, and the occasional free lunch are very nice.

Cons

Mid level management - Some of the Product Managers at Volusion routinely practice behaviors that are notoriously disheartening for their employees. Practices like stonewalling, taking credit for ideas/work, throwing team members under the bus, and lying about agreed upon criteria and delivery dates. I’ve had the pleasure of working with so many great product mangers in Austin’s tech community, unfortunately, Volusion can’t seem keep any of them.

Outdated technology - Their current SAAS product is outdated and their plans for replacing it are too conservative. With this comes a pervasive “can’t do” kind of attitude that prevents the company from getting ahead of their competition.

IT Team - The IT team is overbooked most of the time and this leads to project launch dates getting pushed back 6 months to a year. This is unacceptable for a technology company practicing agile, in my opinion.

Fake Perks - Volusion advertises a number of what we lovingly call “ferks,” which means fake perks. They advertise items like massages, dry cleaning, oil changes, food trucks, beer fridays, fitness classes, life insurance, pet insurance, etc - which are benefits you can opt for, only if you foot the bill 100%. Don’t get me wrong, I love having these options, I just don’t agree with how Volusion advertises them, as if they were paid for by the company.

Hire better Product Managers

Ecommerce Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great job right after college if you are looking to stay in Austin. Not the best pay, but fun gig. Also if you enjoy software/internet/SaaS you will enjoy it. Lead generation is pretty simple, and the cold calls aren't bad, especially compared to true cold calling.

Cons

Responsible for monthly quota for a sales cycle of anywhere from 1 call, "first call close", 14 days after their trial, and some beat around the bush for 45 days. Also reps who have strong pipeline and many contacts usually hit quota, and are appeared as "rockstars". However, these people have just shared their contact information with everyone and overtime are reached more frequently. They set quotas so these top 10% make okay money, while the rest do not..simply because of pipeline. End of month gets too intense. The bonus structure is horrible. I had huge numbers and did not get paid at all what I should. Sales dependent on marketing for good leads, and also dependent on Volusion pricing. Which could have "waived" set up fees, gold, sign up here and downgrade here.. blah blah..

Volusion is great. Leads were greatness. I would say my recommendation is to take out the "cheese". Volusion felt really, really, cheesy. Change the bonus structure up.

A high-intensity developer experience that rewards self-starters

I have been working at Volusion

Pros

Expected ability to perform coupled with good amounts of leeway and self-determination mean that you can perform to the best of your ability with a group of coworkers that are likewise engaged.

Cons

It can be high-pressure at times, this comes with the accountability of having as much free reign as we do.

Shy away from the big-company style moves that separate you from the small company you try to project as.

So so.....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work/life attitude. Some staff, especially the newcomers, dedicated to providing great support - and having fun. Good original product....

Cons

Prone to executive fads, tending to let the latest buzz words and managerial nostrums obscure actual results and issues.
    Poor reward system, a few Werther Originals are not industry standard compensation.
    Rule by silence and decree with no real interest in employees - us and them attitude.

As if they would listen!

Only worried about their bottom line.

Former Employee - Technical Support in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Volusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked with some cool people and had a variety of shift options (based on seniority).

Cons

The managers have zero concern for you, you'll be asked to work overtime often, raises are borderline non-existent. I left after roughly nine months, shortly after that they shuttered the entire branch laying everyone off without notice and moved the entire operation to Texas. I've never seen a company with less concern for their employees. They'll just replace you with someone else. Extremely low pay and unfriendly management. I wouldn't recommend anyone work here.

They need to start managing their employees, not ignoring them. Basically their answer to everything was "if you don't like it, leave". There is zero focus on employee loyalty or retention.

Developer

I have been working at Volusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Volusion has a really good atmosphere for developers. They have very talented people with a lot of experience. The best part of working as a developer at Volusion is their culture of iteration and problem solving. They work hard and play hard. If you like a atmosphere that pushes the envelope with technology while shooting Nerf guns, riding scooters and while being provided catered food, then you will love working at Volusion.

Cons

Be prepared to work in a open floor environment. This is not a con for most people because it helps collaboration.

Don't change the culture.

Great company and great culture

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very laid back and the ability to perform at a high level

Cons

Communication style of team managers is often aggressive

Upper-management is doing a good job leading the company. Mid and lower level managers need communication training when dealing with employees.

A fun place to work with interesting challenges, and a friendly, supportive staff

I have been working at Volusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I wasn't looking for employment when Volusion first contacted me about a position. Every step of the process, from the initial contact, to the first day on the job, convinced me that I had made the right decision. My experience so far has been positive, and Volusion has demonstrated on numerous occasions that one of their priorities is to create a workplace where you look forward to coming in on Monday morning.

* Supportive, helpful, team members
    * An HR department that works hard to keep employees happy and engaged.
    * Resources to help one grow as an employee

Cons

I started working when I was a teenager, and have been in the workforce for over twenty years. There is no such thing as a perfect place to work.

Volusion is growing quickly, and while HR does a great job of getting you acclimated on the first day. After the initial orientation from HR, however, department-level on-boarding can be disorganized or non-existent. Make some friends in your department quickly, and ask for help. Your peers will do their best to make sure you're getting what you need.

Members of upper management all seem to be great at what they do. Some in middle management would do well with a round of leadership training to learn how to build positive relationships with their staff members, and communicate appropriately.

You have a great vision. Volusion is a great place to work, and with some attention to middle management, it would almost be perfect!

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

#1 the people. Volusion has done an outstanding job staffing. Everyone there grows as a family and welcomes new members with open arms. Volusion is constantly trying to better the company and get new perks for it's employees

Cons

It's a growing company, and it's growing fast. With that comes growing pains that are expected.