Volusion

Volusion Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Volusion CEO Clay Olivier

Clay Olivier

Pros
  • We get to have fun in an open, relaxed work environment and have quarterly outings with our teams(in 9 reviews)

• They also hire a pretty good group of people that really make or break your experience there(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains as company develops(in 5 reviews)

• Nothing compared to other places I've been, but sometimes work/life balance can be a challenge when rolling towards a deadline(in 3 reviews)

So Far So Great!!!

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCompany tries very hard to take care of their employees. Still small enough to allow a person to make a difference, but not a one person shop. Work hard, play hard.

ConsNone encountered yet. Great benefits, competitive pay, they try really hard to make the job as enjoyable as possible. Please remember everyone, it is still a job. Unless it is lounging on a beach, it will never be perfect.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Maybe a bit more flexibility on in office requirements. Food truck additions are great. Love the company events. All in all, an awesome place to be working.

The job I have been looking for my entire life

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI, literally, have been waiting for this job my entire life. Here are some of the reasons why I feel this way...

Top notch manager and team members. My manager really knows the tech side of the business well. I have had "non-technical" managers in the past. Not the case here. I feel comfortable collaborating with my Manager and look to him for insight into upper level managements potentially rapid changing business priorities. If he suggests a technology related change, I know a) it will work and b) the suggestion is based on the best interests of our team and an understanding of upper level managements current pain points.

True autonomy. I am allowed to set direction, build business cases for tool set selection and have support for implementing cutting edge tools and technologies as long as there is a solid business case.

Comprehensive Benefits Package. Medical Insurance for myself and my children effective my first day at work. This is a "real deal" insurance package too, not some package that costs a fortune and covers nothing.

Not just "lip service". I cannot remember the last time an employer actually paid the bonus that is typically a part of every compensation plan. Volusion does.

Employee focused. Everyone knows this is a "Culture Company". Cool stuff happens pretty much every week. Watch out for the free ice cream and energy drinks (extra pounds...). People are encouraged to bring their favorite beer and drink a few on Friday Afternoons (as in, EVERY Friday). Flexible time-off policies. I missed work to have two procedures done on my lower back in my first 90 days. My manager was nothing but supportive.

Support for Work/Life Balance. My Manager frequently reminds me that he does not expect me to work 24/7 and supports work/life balance. At my level, there will always be challenges with regard to that balance. I leverage the Volusion "Work from Home" policy (one day a week) as much as possible. "Crunch time" I frequently work from home. It allows me to be a part of my son's lives even when I am putting in long hours.

A flat organisational model with upper level management that are accessible. I brought my sons to work on National bring your kids to work day. They loved it. My oldest boy wants to be a Developer. I mentioned it to the Director of Development here. He took my son and I to lunch and is making time to evaluate my son for an internship. Hopefully my son will have an opportunity to learn and grow here as well.

A Company with a solid financial future. I have read reviews from people who are or have been employees stating Volusion is in trouble. I am not at liberty to say how well the company is doing, but I am responsible for producing the financial reports. I take my job and the accuracy of the data I surface seriously. Based on the current and projected growth of the company, Volusion Stock Options already have substantial value. This is the first time in my life I feel the options I am offered have substance. You do not need a Crystal Ball to see the direction of a privately held company that is profitable, has been for a while, and continues to grow.

I truly cannot say enough good things about being a part of Volusion.

ConsI am sure that if I stopped focusing on the positive aspects of working here I could probably find things to complain about. I choose not to.

Great company, great team

Front End Developer (Current Employee)

ProsTons of extra little things that make coming into work enjoyable, like too many to list. But my favorites are always stocked free ice cream, playing video games with team members occasionally, not being micro managed and being trusted to do my job, friendly and hardworking team members, team outings, work from home sometimes, and casual dress/casual atmosphere.

ConsHonestly none so far! I'm excited to be working here and it would take a lot to persuade me to work somewhere else

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe people and the culture are great. I enjoy everyone I work with and they each have something unique to offer. Career development is pushed and rewarded.

ConsLoud. Fast paced. Offensive and annoying at times. If that's your kind of environment then you can flourish at Volusion.

Working at Volusion

Design Services Consultant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFun Environment, Great coworkers, pushes you to better yourself, culture is top notch, opportunities are endless. I've learned so much while working there! Because of my time there I was able widen my scope of eCommerce and take those skills onward and upward. I'm thankful for that. The management team and HR are there for our best interests. Past all that, it's a legit place to be.

ConsThis isn't a job to collect a salary. This is a job to grind your way to the top and be the best you can be. It requires you to bring your A game daily and top notch.

Advice to Senior Managementwork-life balance

Austin Best Place to work!!!

Volusion Sales (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI have been with this company for close to a year. Everyday the perks just keep getting better. Very relaxed place to work that has goals like every other company. Not sure there is a sales position without one. A manager is not breathing down your neck yet readily available when you need them. You have a set work schedule and its all about how you manage your time when it comes to hitting your goals.

Jay Motwani is the Director of sales which is a very humble and straight forward guy. If you can imagine having a manager that you can talk to like your having a beer in a bar then its that guy. He fights for his sales team and gives them the tools they need to make bank.

ConsOffices are split so its hard meeting upper level management. It would to have more interactions then the quarterly mixer. If you ask me the effort you put in will make you stand out. It is a small company so there is not a specific career path in this company. Company is driven by self motivated individuals. If you are not motivated by growth or money then this is not the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive that feedback to your employees weather its positive or negative. Upper level management dont be afraid to come buy and chat at the other office.

Fun, positive work environment where you have the opportunity to work with so many talented individuals!

Sales (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsStrong, positive culture. The type of environment where transparency exists, you are respected, treated well and are rewarded for excellence. I come to work everyday because I thoroughly enjoy my job and I feel my work makes a difference in peoples lives and is truly meaningful. One of our values is to "Have Fun and Kick Butt"- if you are willing to work hard then you get to play hard. We get to have fun in an open, relaxed work environment and have quarterly outings with our teams. Not only is feedback welcome and heard, it is encouraged. My direct leadership team is fantastic and I truly feel they have my best interests at heart. They check in, talk to me and help me carve out a career path for myself. I have had such challenging yet positive experiences that have proven to be invaluable to me. There are plenty of opportunities and incentives to learn, develop and grow.

If you want to be challenged and have the opportunity to work for an industry leader then this is the place for you. Be willing to come and work hard, you will get out of it what you put in. Overall my experience has been such a positive one and I have grown exponentially both professionally and personally.

ConsBecause of our tremendous growth we had to split into two separate buildings and at times the disconnect can be felt. Hopefully soon, we will be able to move back together all in the same building where we can be one team again.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue encouraging feedback and listening to your front lines. You do a great job of recognizing those that make positive contributions, don't ever forget your employees are your greatest asset.

Never dull fast paced environment.

Services (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCulture. Hands down. Work is always going to be work but if you enjoy the culture it makes a world of difference.

ConsI honestly have nothing negative to say.

A high-intensity developer experience that rewards self-starters

ProsExpected ability to perform coupled with good amounts of leeway and self-determination mean that you can perform to the best of your ability with a group of coworkers that are likewise engaged.

ConsIt can be high-pressure at times, this comes with the accountability of having as much free reign as we do.

Advice to Senior ManagementShy away from the big-company style moves that separate you from the small company you try to project as.

Developer

Software Developer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVolusion has a really good atmosphere for developers. They have very talented people with a lot of experience. The best part of working as a developer at Volusion is their culture of iteration and problem solving. They work hard and play hard. If you like a atmosphere that pushes the envelope with technology while shooting Nerf guns, riding scooters and while being provided catered food, then you will love working at Volusion.

ConsBe prepared to work in a open floor environment. This is not a con for most people because it helps collaboration.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change the culture.

Worked for Volusion? Contribute to the Community!