Volusion Reviews

Reset
3.2
Volusion CEO Clay Olivier
Clay Olivier

Pros
  • There is so much free food, be prepared to gain weight (in 11 reviews)

• Good perks, good culture, good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing compared to other places I've been, but sometimes work/life balance can be a challenge when rolling towards a deadline (in 4 reviews)

• Growing pains as company develops (in 5 reviews)

1. One of the best places to be in Austin

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

I've been with Volusion several years and have seen huge growth and expansion. This is a great company and a great group of people to be a part of. The company is financially sound. The growth has given us plenty of opportunities for doing new things. We work hard but we also play hard and have a lot of fun every day.

Cons

There's no room for free loaders. To some this may be a con, but to others its really a benefit as it means we can count on our co-workers to do their part.

2. The best company I've ever worked for

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent, open-door leadership Best work environment - casual dress, frequent catered lunches, free healthy snacks, a gym and more world-class ecommerce product that's only getting better Great work/personal life balance Great benefits Great fellow employees

Cons

No company is perfect, but I really don't have any problems with Volusion. Like I said, this is the best company I've ever worked for.

Fun environment, good people, product and company stability

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment Product you feel good about working with Good company trajectory - stability, profitability and growth Great people to work with every day New office spaces and amenities

Cons

Growing pains of any expanding company. Must have a tolerance for ambiguity to work here. However, with that ambiguity comes opportunities to make a difference.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide benefits as we grow. Was glad to see HSA contributions this year and added disability coverage.

So far so good!

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entire company is dedicated and determined to create the next best ecommerce product on the market, and they seem to be sparing no expense to get there...hiring the best talent, building out a cool work environment, and giving us the freedom to maintain a good work/life balance. Best company I've ever worked at, and I've worked for some companies that would appear seem more glamorous.

Cons

Too many tasty choices in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

Keep on pushing for excellence.

6. My experience has been fantastic.

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales managers, great place to learn about sales, leadership team really values the front lines and does everything they can to ensure a sales reps' success. its awesome that the CEO knows our names!

Cons

offices are split now; so its hard to meet with other people from other departments to learn about what they do. i can still schedule meetings with them but it takes more time of out of the day to do that since i have to drive to the other building.

Advice to Management

hire more people. the intense growth that the company is facing is the company's biggest challenge.

7. Great tech company...solid pay, embraces creativity.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with incredibly talented people and the latest technology. Quirky and fun place to be. Creativity is rewarded. The pay is better than most other places in town, and not all the politics of a bigger company. Happier than I've been in a long time being at a place that understands what it takes to write great software.

Cons

Constant interviews and onboarding as we hire new people. Sometimes the keg in the office is empty.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring talented people and don't bow to the pressure to lower the bar in order to fill seats. I don't want to work with some of the weasels I worked with in the past at other companies.

8. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else

Pros

Great product, Phenomenal Culture, Great Perks - free food, drinks etc People take pride in the work they do and everyone's contribution directly effects the success of the business

Cons

You may be required to work hard but this only leads to more opportunities for you to succeed.

9. An amazing software company with heart

Current Employee - Product Development in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing, talented people - Latest and greatest hardware/software (Mac & PC) - Agile development - Weekly breakfasts - So many snacks - A clear, achievable mission Volusion still manages to have a start-up feel, even after 13 years of successful business. The development team is the brightest I have ever seen assembled. The company culture is casual, fun and uplifting (meeting rooms are named after video games, the VP of product has a kegerator in his office for beer Friday). It's a great place to apply your skills and talents toward improving the ecommerce experience for tens of thousands of merchants.

Cons

- High expectations - Interviews are tough, but relevant

Advice to Management

Would love to see Volusion host a hackathon.

Volusion really cares about their employees

Current Employee - People & Culture in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - People & Culture in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We do "Happy Surveys" at work and the Leadership at Volusion really listens to our suggestions. We asked and we got: *More time off (including our Birthday!). *Bring your dog to work Fridays. *Onsite gym or gym stipend. *Healthy snacks - lots of fruit yum! *Better 401K plans. *Great activity rooms w/pool tables, ping pong, video games & golf practice Not to mention the perks we've had for awhile: *Casual dress *Free Yoga classes *Volunteer days off *Beer Fridays Also, In my role I have a great balance of creative freedom and help when I need it.

Cons

I'm painting a rosy picture, but of course there are challenges. It can be difficult to engage other departments at times, and I feel we would benefit from a more 'Systems Based Thinking' approach. Having employees in 2 buildings causes a bit of separation. This is something that can be worked on however. I've worked with several software companies and in other industries, so I know what's out there and with Volusion I actually enjoy coming to work every day.

Advice to Management

I wish we could have company-wide "All Hands" meetings once a quarter to discuss the direction of the company to give all departments more insight into our vision. I myself get a lot of information in my position, but I can see where other departments are less informed and may need motivation through this insight.

11. One of the best places to work in Austin...and for a good reason

Current Employee - Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. People I work with are the best! Everyone truly cares about their work and loves being a Volusioneer. 2. Feels great to be part of a growing company! There's more opportunities at Volusion than a lot of other companies. 3. Open work environment makes it easy to communicate with everyone. 4. In my department, everyone works on special projects aside from client projects which is nice. We are all encouraged to contribute to our growth. 5. Love the food trucks and free snacks and ice cream!

Cons

Two locations sometimes makes it difficult to interact with everyone in the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

RSS Feed </> Embed