Volusion Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
3.2

Volusion CEO Clay Olivier
Clay Olivier

Pros
  • Free food, opportunity to learn important and useful skill set, cool co-workers (in 12 reviews)

• Snacks, catered lunches, food trucks, a freezer solely dedicated to ice cream (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing compared to other places I've been, but sometimes work/life balance can be a challenge when rolling towards a deadline (in 4 reviews)

• Things can move crazy quick at times, and sometimes you feel the growing pains (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard and this place will take you places

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working at Volusion for a year and it is one of the best places I have ever worked. I was a Design Services Sales Consultant for the first year and recently got promoted. Just like in any sales role, you have to work hard and be efficient in order to make your quota. I was promoted to my new position based on the hard work I put in day in and day out. Sales is not a 9-5 job and some people expect it to be. Successful sales people know that you have to put in long hours to achieve results. There is so much free food, be prepared to gain weight. The bonus structure is great, I was making great money in my previous role and continuing that in my new role. You are working off warm leads and people that want to buy, so there's no cold calling involved. There are tons of fun activities and games, unlimited snacks and drinks. The people here are amazing, everyone gets along great.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that there are 2 separate offices which makes it hard for the entire team to get together. We are rapidly growing so maybe one day we can move to a bigger office that will fit the entire company.

Get rid of the negative people, there are some people that actually really like their job and come to work prepared to put in everything. Reward those people.

Where hard work still pays off.

Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started in the support department and in less than two years have been promoted twice and now hold a position in our corporate office. This, of course, is not the case for every employee, but I can say without a doubt hard work gets noticed here. Volusion values their employees and does what it can to provide a clear path to success. The free food, game rooms and gym are appreciated, but it is this company's culture, spirit and work ethic that keep me walking in the front door.

Cons

Volusion is still in that awkward stage between start-up and going public. While I find working for a company in this stage an opportunity of a lifetime, I can see why someone else would not. It often scares away great employees who need more stability. That said, I've not worked for a company where so many former employees have returned.

Solicit feedback from your employees (especially customer-facing) more often on company policies, software features and services. The people on the front line aren't all cynical.

So Far So Great!!!

I have been working at Volusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company tries very hard to take care of their employees. Still small enough to allow a person to make a difference, but not a one person shop. Work hard, play hard.

Cons

None encountered yet. Great benefits, competitive pay, they try really hard to make the job as enjoyable as possible. Please remember everyone, it is still a job. Unless it is lounging on a beach, it will never be perfect.

Keep up the great work. Maybe a bit more flexibility on in office requirements. Food truck additions are great. Love the company events. All in all, an awesome place to be working.

The job I have been looking for my entire life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I, literally, have been waiting for this job my entire life. Here are some of the reasons why I feel this way...

Top notch manager and team members. My manager really knows the tech side of the business well. I have had "non-technical" managers in the past. Not the case here. I feel comfortable collaborating with my Manager and look to him for insight into upper level managements potentially rapid changing business priorities. If he suggests a technology related change, I know a) it will work and b) the suggestion is based on the best interests of our team and an understanding of upper level managements current pain points.

True autonomy. I am allowed to set direction, build business cases for tool set selection and have support for implementing cutting edge tools and technologies as long as there is a solid business case.

Comprehensive Benefits Package. Medical Insurance for myself and my children effective my first day at work. This is a "real deal" insurance package too, not some package that costs a fortune and covers nothing.

Not just "lip service". I cannot remember the last time an employer actually paid the bonus that is typically a part of every compensation plan. Volusion does.

Employee focused. Everyone knows this is a "Culture Company". Cool stuff happens pretty much every week. Watch out for the free ice cream and energy drinks (extra pounds...). People are encouraged to bring their favorite beer and drink a few on Friday Afternoons (as in, EVERY Friday). Flexible time-off policies. I missed work to have two procedures done on my lower back in my first 90 days. My manager was nothing but supportive.

Support for Work/Life Balance. My Manager frequently reminds me that he does not expect me to work 24/7 and supports work/life balance. At my level, there will always be challenges with regard to that balance. I leverage the Volusion "Work from Home" policy (one day a week) as much as possible. "Crunch time" I frequently work from home. It allows me to be a part of my son's lives even when I am putting in long hours.

A flat organisational model with upper level management that are accessible. I brought my sons to work on National bring your kids to work day. They loved it. My oldest boy wants to be a Developer. I mentioned it to the Director of Development here. He took my son and I to lunch and is making time to evaluate my son for an internship. Hopefully my son will have an opportunity to learn and grow here as well.

A Company with a solid financial future. I have read reviews from people who are or have been employees stating Volusion is in trouble. I am not at liberty to say how well the company is doing, but I am responsible for producing the financial reports. I take my job and the accuracy of the data I surface seriously. Based on the current and projected growth of the company, Volusion Stock Options already have substantial value. This is the first time in my life I feel the options I am offered have substance. You do not need a Crystal Ball to see the direction of a privately held company that is profitable, has been for a while, and continues to grow.

I truly cannot say enough good things about being a part of Volusion.

Cons

I am sure that if I stopped focusing on the positive aspects of working here I could probably find things to complain about. I choose not to.

Great company, great team

Current Employee - Front End Developer
    Current Employee - Front End Developer

I have been working at Volusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tons of extra little things that make coming into work enjoyable, like too many to list. But my favorites are always stocked free ice cream, playing video games with team members occasionally, not being micro managed and being trusted to do my job, friendly and hardworking team members, team outings, work from home sometimes, and casual dress/casual atmosphere.

Cons

Honestly none so far! I'm excited to be working here and it would take a lot to persuade me to work somewhere else

None

Great place to work.

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people and the culture are great. I enjoy everyone I work with and they each have something unique to offer. Career development is pushed and rewarded.

Cons

Loud. Fast paced. Offensive and annoying at times. If that's your kind of environment then you can flourish at Volusion.

Working at Volusion

Former Employee - Design Services Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Design Services Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun Environment, Great coworkers, pushes you to better yourself, culture is top notch, opportunities are endless. I've learned so much while working there! Because of my time there I was able widen my scope of eCommerce and take those skills onward and upward. I'm thankful for that. The management team and HR are there for our best interests. Past all that, it's a legit place to be.

Cons

This isn't a job to collect a salary. This is a job to grind your way to the top and be the best you can be. It requires you to bring your A game daily and top notch.

work-life balance

Austin Best Place to work!!!

Current Employee - Volusion Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Volusion Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with this company for close to a year. Everyday the perks just keep getting better. Very relaxed place to work that has goals like every other company. Not sure there is a sales position without one. A manager is not breathing down your neck yet readily available when you need them. You have a set work schedule and its all about how you manage your time when it comes to hitting your goals.

Jay Motwani is the Director of sales which is a very humble and straight forward guy. If you can imagine having a manager that you can talk to like your having a beer in a bar then its that guy. He fights for his sales team and gives them the tools they need to make bank.

Cons

Offices are split so its hard meeting upper level management. It would to have more interactions then the quarterly mixer. If you ask me the effort you put in will make you stand out. It is a small company so there is not a specific career path in this company. Company is driven by self motivated individuals. If you are not motivated by growth or money then this is not the company for you.

Give that feedback to your employees weather its positive or negative. Upper level management dont be afraid to come buy and chat at the other office.

Fun, positive work environment where you have the opportunity to work with so many talented individuals!

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong, positive culture. The type of environment where transparency exists, you are respected, treated well and are rewarded for excellence. I come to work everyday because I thoroughly enjoy my job and I feel my work makes a difference in peoples lives and is truly meaningful. One of our values is to "Have Fun and Kick Butt"- if you are willing to work hard then you get to play hard. We get to have fun in an open, relaxed work environment and have quarterly outings with our teams. Not only is feedback welcome and heard, it is encouraged. My direct leadership team is fantastic and I truly feel they have my best interests at heart. They check in, talk to me and help me carve out a career path for myself. I have had such challenging yet positive experiences that have proven to be invaluable to me. There are plenty of opportunities and incentives to learn, develop and grow.

If you want to be challenged and have the opportunity to work for an industry leader then this is the place for you. Be willing to come and work hard, you will get out of it what you put in. Overall my experience has been such a positive one and I have grown exponentially both professionally and personally.

Cons

Because of our tremendous growth we had to split into two separate buildings and at times the disconnect can be felt. Hopefully soon, we will be able to move back together all in the same building where we can be one team again.

Continue encouraging feedback and listening to your front lines. You do a great job of recognizing those that make positive contributions, don't ever forget your employees are your greatest asset.

Never dull fast paced environment.

Current Employee - Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture. Hands down. Work is always going to be work but if you enjoy the culture it makes a world of difference.

Cons

I honestly have nothing negative to say.