Volusion

Updated August 14, 2014

3.4

Volusion CEO Clay Olivier
Clay Olivier

Pros
  • We get to have fun in an open, relaxed work environment and have quarterly outings with our teams (in 9 reviews)

• They also hire a pretty good group of people that really make or break your experience there (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains as company develops (in 5 reviews)

• Nothing compared to other places I've been, but sometimes work/life balance can be a challenge when rolling towards a deadline (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A heavy handed and demeaning experience

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

Company culture and friendly HR staff

Cons

Being treated as a high school student and not given free reign to be an adult and manage my own time.

Read a resume clearly and know your employees skills

Where hard work still pays off.

Current Employee - Business Development  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX

Pros

I started in the support department and in less than two years have been promoted twice and now hold a position in our corporate office. This, of course, is not the case for every employee, but I can say without a doubt hard work gets noticed here. Volusion values their employees and does what it can to provide a clear path to success. The free food, game rooms and gym are appreciated, but it is this company's culture, spirit and work ethic that keep me walking in the front door.

Cons

Volusion is still in that awkward stage between start-up and going public. While I find working for a company in this stage an opportunity of a lifetime, I can see why someone else would not. It often scares away great employees who need more stability. That said, I've not worked for a company where so many former employees have returned.

Solicit feedback from your employees (especially customer-facing) more often on company policies, software features and services. The people on the front line aren't all cynical.

So Far So Great!!!

Current Employee - QA Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Company tries very hard to take care of their employees. Still small enough to allow a person to make a difference, but not a one person shop. Work hard, play hard.

Cons

None encountered yet. Great benefits, competitive pay, they try really hard to make the job as enjoyable as possible. Please remember everyone, it is still a job. Unless it is lounging on a beach, it will never be perfect.

Keep up the great work. Maybe a bit more flexibility on in office requirements. Food truck additions are great. Love the company events. All in all, an awesome place to be working.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great in the beginning, but went down hill after the first year and half

Pros

The people are great and it is what made you want to come to work every day. Other than that not much I can honestly say that is a pro. Every place has free food, relaxed environment, etc....So those are really not Pros.

Cons

The overall morale of the company was low, poor compensation (compared to industry standards), little to no advancement opportunity, the company was non-transparent, and management was lacking in many areas.

The job I have been looking for my entire life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

I, literally, have been waiting for this job my entire life. Here are some of the reasons why I feel this way...

Top notch manager and team members. My manager really knows the tech side of the business well. I have had "non-technical" managers in the past. Not the case here. I feel comfortable collaborating with my Manager and look to him for insight into upper level managements potentially rapid changing business priorities. If he suggests a technology related change, I know a) it will work and b) the suggestion is based on the best interests of our team and an understanding of upper level managements current pain points.

True autonomy. I am allowed to set direction, build business cases for tool set selection and have support for implementing cutting edge tools and technologies as long as there is a solid business case.

Comprehensive Benefits Package. Medical Insurance for myself and my children effective my first day at work. This is a "real deal" insurance package too, not some package that costs a fortune and covers nothing.

Not just "lip service". I cannot remember the last time an employer actually paid the bonus that is typically a part of every compensation plan. Volusion does.

Employee focused. Everyone knows this is a "Culture Company". Cool stuff happens pretty much every week. Watch out for the free ice cream and energy drinks (extra pounds...). People are encouraged to bring their favorite beer and drink a few on Friday Afternoons (as in, EVERY Friday). Flexible time-off policies. I missed work to have two procedures done on my lower back in my first 90 days. My manager was nothing but supportive.

Support for Work/Life Balance. My Manager frequently reminds me that he does not expect me to work 24/7 and supports work/life balance. At my level, there will always be challenges with regard to that balance. I leverage the Volusion "Work from Home" policy (one day a week) as much as possible. "Crunch time" I frequently work from home. It allows me to be a part of my son's lives even when I am putting in long hours.

A flat organisational model with upper level management that are accessible. I brought my sons to work on National bring your kids to work day. They loved it. My oldest boy wants to be a Developer. I mentioned it to the Director of Development here. He took my son and I to lunch and is making time to evaluate my son for an internship. Hopefully my son will have an opportunity to learn and grow here as well.

A Company with a solid financial future. I have read reviews from people who are or have been employees stating Volusion is in trouble. I am not at liberty to say how well the company is doing, but I am responsible for producing the financial reports. I take my job and the accuracy of the data I surface seriously. Based on the current and projected growth of the company, Volusion Stock Options already have substantial value. This is the first time in my life I feel the options I am offered have substance. You do not need a Crystal Ball to see the direction of a privately held company that is profitable, has been for a while, and continues to grow.

I truly cannot say enough good things about being a part of Volusion.

Cons

I am sure that if I stopped focusing on the positive aspects of working here I could probably find things to complain about. I choose not to.

No Vision

Pros

The people who do the work are wonderful. They have lots of fun perks like doggy yoga and free ice cream.

Cons

Sometimes, those same perks feels fake. Like who really has time for ping pong tournaments when deadlines aren't met? Apparently, a lot of people. They had to get a second table. Goals are identified and dropped.There are two buildings, which gets in the way of team collaboration. If you can stick your head in the sand and believe everything will be OK, then this is the perfect environment for you.

Great ecommerce experience during its early growth period.

Pros

My manager was the reason I was there. Free yoga, casual dress

Cons

Out of communication with everyone. Super competitive market. Hard to transfer departments. Wasting quality talent, Lack of leadership

Get in communication with employees and departments. Promote, promote, promote people

Quantity Over Quality

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Austin, TX

Pros

Free ice cream. I really like the people and the vibe here.

Cons

Free ice cream. I saw a sign posted "Done > Perfect". This pretty much sums up the philosophy at Volusion. Getting things done is far more important than putting out a quality product. The founder has to have his fingers in everything and has problems deferring responsibility where appropriate, making arbitrary deadlines based on absolutely no data whatsoever, which stresses out everyone involved.

Those in management have bosses too, I know, but sometimes you have to push back when necessary.

Great company, great team

Current Employee - Front End Developer
    Current Employee - Front End Developer

Pros

Tons of extra little things that make coming into work enjoyable, like too many to list. But my favorites are always stocked free ice cream, playing video games with team members occasionally, not being micro managed and being trusted to do my job, friendly and hardworking team members, team outings, work from home sometimes, and casual dress/casual atmosphere.

Cons

Honestly none so far! I'm excited to be working here and it would take a lot to persuade me to work somewhere else

None

Great place to work.

Current Employee - QA Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

The people and the culture are great. I enjoy everyone I work with and they each have something unique to offer. Career development is pushed and rewarded.

Cons

Loud. Fast paced. Offensive and annoying at times. If that's your kind of environment then you can flourish at Volusion.

Worked for Volusion? Contribute to the Community!