Volusion Reviews

Reset
3.3
Volusion CEO Clay Olivier
Clay Olivier

Pros
  • There is so much free food, be prepared to gain weight (in 11 reviews)

• Good perks, good culture, good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing compared to other places I've been, but sometimes work/life balance can be a challenge when rolling towards a deadline (in 4 reviews)

• Growing pains as company develops (in 5 reviews)

1. Fast-Paced and Fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion (More than 5 years)

Pros

Passionate coworkers, professional growth, you can make an impact and build your career, no micromanaging, flexible schedule, fun culture, work from home, fast paced place - if you thrive omn change, you will feel fulfilled

Cons

Volusion is cost-minded and the purse strings are tight. This is a rare thing in the Austin tech world and probably in the company's best interests... but it does impose challenges at times. If you are uncomfortable with change or ambiguity, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Better cross department communication

2. Love working at Volusion

I have been working at Volusion

Pros

Great work environment, challenging work, love my co-workers, relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Some co-workers who have been here a long time get complacent and dont like to push themselves to make the team better.

3. Challenging work, smart, friendly coworkers

Former Employee - TX - Texas in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - TX - Texas in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company cares about its employees. They provide free food at least once a month. It is a casual work environment. Working from home is okay occasionally.

Cons

Some individuals become too comfortable with their jobs and do not seem to care as much as everyone else.

5. People and Culture

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Volusion is a fantastic place to work. Everyone I interacted with was very accommodating, professional and worked well in their respective teams. Here are some of the things that are most memorable about working there:

-Bring Your Dog to Work Fridays
    -Casual attire, every day of the year (you could even come to work in your PJs)
    -Employee birthdays are automatically considered/given as a Floating Holiday
    -Competitive pay and an excellent benefits package
    -Proactively encourages social events and team-building throughout the company

These are just some of things I really enjoyed while working for Volusion. It really is quite different from any other employer I've worked for, even in the Austin business climate/office culture.

Cons

The *only* negative I can even write about Volusion is that they don't have a presence in other cities in Texas. Even then, this is more of a personal/unique tidbit because my own residence situation brought a relocation to Houston.

Advice to Management

-Keep listening to your employees
    -Keep your People and Culture team prioritized accordingly

6. Fun place to work, but overall a low level of focus on customer service

I worked at Volusion full-time

Pros

Fun and laid back work environment, good perks, 4 weeks of paid time off a year. Good director in CE department.

Cons

Low pay overall and minimal raises if any. There is a very high turnover rate which can lead to poor customer experiences as new reps have little job knowledge. There is a strong focus on numbers as the call center is minimally staffed (in other words, high wait times for customers and a heavy focus on cranking out calls, sometimes at the expense of top quality service).

Very little feedback for team leaders. Leads are expected to have regular meetings with their direct reports, but rarely get any coaching or guidance from senior managers.

Advice to Management

Put more value into your CE department. Pay experienced reps more to keep them at the company to reduce turnover. Your CE team represents your business, if you don't invest in your CE team you will lose clients. Simple as that.

Short and Sweet

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of about this place is that you get a pay check.

Cons

Everything the whole place is toxic and will bring a great developer down to mediocre standing. Even if there are smart people working there, nothing really gets done. Stay clear of this company if your a good engineer.

Advice to Management

Change how everything is managed.

If you want a social club...

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fine folks, great if you want a social club atmosphere for a workplace, cool office, incredible internal IT staff that fix problems FAST, great Volusion dev managers, Volusion QA folks that will rock your socks off, super cool documentation manager, and people working hard to build product.

Cons

Poor planning for new products on Mozu side, painfully loud environment (huge open space fun at first, nerve grinding later), required to be a "joiner" to get anywhere even for a raise (yeah what?!), bad job titles, raises nearly non-existant (even professional dev gets barely enough of a raise to buy extra coffees per month).
    The strangest HR department I have experienced in my life. They could not handle insurance at all, instead seemed more like social event coordinators.
    Poor health insurance (claims never paid for by Volusion, you will be hounded by your doctor office because of it).

Advice to Management

You need to focus less on how many social events you have per month/year and far more on the excellence of your staff, rewarding your great staff for their hard work, cutting the loads of chaff staff, properly use your management to make decisions (most decisions should not have to go up every step including the CEO...).

9. Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great PTO, the office environment is laid back, bring your dog to work Fridays and they cater often for special events.

Cons

Not enough relief for when you take PTO. Some managers leadership styles can be harsh. The pay is less competitive for a company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more, learn leadership skills that motivate employees.

This place was a joke and I am truly glad to be gone

Former Employee - Support Concierge in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Support Concierge in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion

Pros

They have free food all the time as well as other free snack type items in the office.
    They don't really take themselves seriously so it is a care free and fun environment most of the time. Thats about it.....

Cons

Well where should I start?
    I worked for Volusion for three years and only moved up a dollar in pay while yet consistently being a top performer. Like others said here there is no incentives/pay raises (EVER) and the management is a joke.

This place tries to have fun and play office games and ride scooters all over the place and emulate what I would imagine what a Google office would look like, yet they are NOWHERE near where Google is. I am absolutely certain that when real companies like Google were in the beginning phases they were getting at it and busting their butts, not running around on scooters and rolling pigs around.

I remember a conversation I had with a member of upper level management about the fact that I was continually passed over for raises/promotions when I was consistently one of the top performers, and discussing how that there was really no incentive for me to excel there and if it would be acceptable to just perform at the same level as the others there since they made the same amount as I did and I was clearly not going anywhere. His response was "well when you came to work here you agreed to give your 100% and if your numbers went down we would have to talk to you about your performance." Essentially saying that I would be punished for not covering everyone elses workload while they surfed facebook and barely met the minimum daily requirements for contacts.

Oh and in that same conversation I was told one of the reasons I was passed up for promotion was because I was not "social enough" and that I didn't participate in enough of the office activities. Well the issue with that is that at that time they actually had a contest going based on contacts and taking time off of the computers while doing literally the ONLY thing that may get me any kind of extra money out of this place was really not a smart thing to do in my book.

Advice to Management

Take a long walk off of a short pier with at least 100 lbs tied firmly to your ankles. The way you treat your employees like a commodity and not like people you actually care about is going to HOPEFULLY be your demise. You work people into the ground and your lack of caring about your employees and their lives outside of work is exactly why you will continue to lose your best talent to other HIGHER PAYING companies and never have a tenured and effective support team.

Stay the current course and see if you ever become anything more... I doubt you will.

11. Work Here!

I have been working at Volusion

Pros

Great company to work for. Great leadership with a "start-up" feel. They really value their employees and make a lot of effort to show appreciation. From beer Friday's, bring your dog to work day to an onsite gym..at Volusion we work hard and play hard. I really enjoy working here!

Cons

None to share at this time!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

RSS Feed </> Embed