Volusion Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
3.2

Volusion CEO Clay Olivier
Clay Olivier

Pros
  • We get to have fun in an open, relaxed work environment and have quarterly outings with our teams (in 9 reviews)

• They also hire a pretty good group of people that really make or break your experience there (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains as company develops (in 5 reviews)

• Nothing compared to other places I've been, but sometimes work/life balance can be a challenge when rolling towards a deadline (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard and this place will take you places

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been working at Volusion for a year and it is one of the best places I have ever worked. I was a Design Services Sales Consultant for the first year and recently got promoted. Just like in any sales role, you have to work hard and be efficient in order to make your quota. I was promoted to my new position based on the hard work I put in day in and day out. Sales is not a 9-5 job and some people expect it to be. Successful sales people know that you have to put in long hours to achieve results. There is so much free food, be prepared to gain weight. The bonus structure is great, I was making great money in my previous role and continuing that in my new role. You are working off warm leads and people that want to buy, so there's no cold calling involved. There are tons of fun activities and games, unlimited snacks and drinks. The people here are amazing, everyone gets along great.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that there are 2 separate offices which makes it hard for the entire team to get together. We are rapidly growing so maybe one day we can move to a bigger office that will fit the entire company.

Get rid of the negative people, there are some people that actually really like their job and come to work prepared to put in everything. Reward those people.

Long hours, talk time & micro managing

Current Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun peeps and Great food
    good location
    people and culture are nice

Cons

Long hours, weekends, talk time really high, constant micro management from director, PTO limited, avg. healthcare, it's all about Mozu, can be miserable at times :(

Work life balance, Hire experienced sales leaders not kids, Train better

A true Start up sweatshop with no work life balance. Heavy micro management from stressed, inexperienced sales leader

Former Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food and Good hard working young people

Cons

Long hours for small bonuses
    An inexperienced sales leader who micro manages and awards only those who work excessive long hours. Expects call volume to be 24/7

Poor training if any- hitting the phones unprepared is standard
    Commission quota goes up every month so you are punished for achieving
    Little advancement
    Unprofessional environment with Sales leaders cussing, etc
    CEO only focused on enterprise
    Promise of going public far fetched

Don't make friends cuz its revolving door with 50% or more sales reps leaving in a year or usually less. Everyone wants to leave!
    Product is outdated, support is non existent, many merchants quit
    Call expectations double the norm in Austin call centers
    Burnout job
    Don't go to competition or they sue
    Don't take vacation, frowned upon
    weekend work encouraged

Start taking care of your people. No company can go public when they abuse the salespeople doing the hard work!

Free food does not equal a TOP workplace

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unprofessional - Not a place for Computer Science Majors - You're Either Management or Nobody

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time for less than a year

Pros

Real Perks - Free Coffee, Ice Cream, Fitness Equipment, Game Tables.

Young, pleasant/cheerful/friendly environment.

In a market that has potential (eCommerce)

Company Values (on paper)

Cons

In a nutshell: **There is no value of employee potential** No attempt to develop employees and guide/drive them to the best of their abilities; the focus becomes merely on what can be produced.

If you ever cross your manager you will get fired.

No flexible work arrangements. No Privacy - completely open with a 4'x2' desk. It's tough to have your headphones on for hours a day...

Software development bonus structure is abysmal - it is tiny a carrot on a stick; expect to work a considerable amount of extra time to consistently not meet the projected percentage each quarter.

Software development department forcibly has no lighting - If you get a walk through the facilities you will see most of the overhead lights off. Any attempt to have a safe level of lighting will be met with criticism and fierce opposition.

The software development department is dominated by people that learned to program or read the most current agile/architecture design patterns and are now software engineering leaders. The latest JavaScript framework, Document Database, or Service Bus gets added because it's all the rage.

Adding to the unprofessionalism - Employees are encouraged to write positive (not objective) reviews here on Glassdoor.

Be careful never to become an individual contributor or you will get canned.

A true delusion

Former Employee - Tech Support  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time for more than a year

Pros

If any pros can be mentioned it would be free food.

Cons

Well they want you to embrace change, but when the shoe is on the other foot it is a totally different ballgame. An open door policy at Volusion is exactly that an "open door" nothing more nothing less.

They promote people with no idea of what they are doing, while the employees that do have the experience are pigeon hole'd. The pay is at best a joke even on a good day and the management is the epitome of an insult to intelligence. If you want to work at a place that is the equivalent of an air conditioned slave plantation then this is your place. But with that said they do lead the industry in one area and that would be: TURNOVER. There is a review on here that mentions so many former employees returning, well an option of last resort is an option of last resort. People leave volusion quicker then the company can hire new people, they waste absurd amounts of money on hiring people which they could save if they only changed things.

In closing:
    If you want a company that rewards mediocrity this is your place.

If you want a company that promotes poor performance while black listing top performers this is your place.

If you want management to be seen many times through the day while on the clock playing games on tablet computers and using facebook this is your place.

If you like micro management this is your place.

Bottom line before applying, checkout your local McDonalds or Costco first because at least there you would have advancement, better pay and better morale.

Stop the bait and switch routine, your turnover sooner or later will make you the epitome of where job hoppers go.

Learn how to manage people, promote people, reward people. Stop blacklisting people who speak up.

And tell HR to stop putting out so many bogus reviews on glass door, I mean honestly they sound like such fantasy.

A heavy handed and demeaning experience

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture and friendly HR staff

Cons

Being treated as a high school student and not given free reign to be an adult and manage my own time.

Read a resume clearly and know your employees skills

Where hard work still pays off.

Current Employee - Business Development  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started in the support department and in less than two years have been promoted twice and now hold a position in our corporate office. This, of course, is not the case for every employee, but I can say without a doubt hard work gets noticed here. Volusion values their employees and does what it can to provide a clear path to success. The free food, game rooms and gym are appreciated, but it is this company's culture, spirit and work ethic that keep me walking in the front door.

Cons

Volusion is still in that awkward stage between start-up and going public. While I find working for a company in this stage an opportunity of a lifetime, I can see why someone else would not. It often scares away great employees who need more stability. That said, I've not worked for a company where so many former employees have returned.

Solicit feedback from your employees (especially customer-facing) more often on company policies, software features and services. The people on the front line aren't all cynical.

So Far So Great!!!

Current Employee - QA Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company tries very hard to take care of their employees. Still small enough to allow a person to make a difference, but not a one person shop. Work hard, play hard.

Cons

None encountered yet. Great benefits, competitive pay, they try really hard to make the job as enjoyable as possible. Please remember everyone, it is still a job. Unless it is lounging on a beach, it will never be perfect.

Keep up the great work. Maybe a bit more flexibility on in office requirements. Food truck additions are great. Love the company events. All in all, an awesome place to be working.

Great in the beginning, but went down hill after the first year and half

I worked at Volusion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great and it is what made you want to come to work every day. Other than that not much I can honestly say that is a pro. Every place has free food, relaxed environment, etc....So those are really not Pros.

Cons

The overall morale of the company was low, poor compensation (compared to industry standards), little to no advancement opportunity, the company was non-transparent, and management was lacking in many areas.

The job I have been looking for my entire life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time for less than a year

Pros

I, literally, have been waiting for this job my entire life. Here are some of the reasons why I feel this way...

Top notch manager and team members. My manager really knows the tech side of the business well. I have had "non-technical" managers in the past. Not the case here. I feel comfortable collaborating with my Manager and look to him for insight into upper level managements potentially rapid changing business priorities. If he suggests a technology related change, I know a) it will work and b) the suggestion is based on the best interests of our team and an understanding of upper level managements current pain points.

True autonomy. I am allowed to set direction, build business cases for tool set selection and have support for implementing cutting edge tools and technologies as long as there is a solid business case.

Comprehensive Benefits Package. Medical Insurance for myself and my children effective my first day at work. This is a "real deal" insurance package too, not some package that costs a fortune and covers nothing.

Not just "lip service". I cannot remember the last time an employer actually paid the bonus that is typically a part of every compensation plan. Volusion does.

Employee focused. Everyone knows this is a "Culture Company". Cool stuff happens pretty much every week. Watch out for the free ice cream and energy drinks (extra pounds...). People are encouraged to bring their favorite beer and drink a few on Friday Afternoons (as in, EVERY Friday). Flexible time-off policies. I missed work to have two procedures done on my lower back in my first 90 days. My manager was nothing but supportive.

Support for Work/Life Balance. My Manager frequently reminds me that he does not expect me to work 24/7 and supports work/life balance. At my level, there will always be challenges with regard to that balance. I leverage the Volusion "Work from Home" policy (one day a week) as much as possible. "Crunch time" I frequently work from home. It allows me to be a part of my son's lives even when I am putting in long hours.

A flat organisational model with upper level management that are accessible. I brought my sons to work on National bring your kids to work day. They loved it. My oldest boy wants to be a Developer. I mentioned it to the Director of Development here. He took my son and I to lunch and is making time to evaluate my son for an internship. Hopefully my son will have an opportunity to learn and grow here as well.

A Company with a solid financial future. I have read reviews from people who are or have been employees stating Volusion is in trouble. I am not at liberty to say how well the company is doing, but I am responsible for producing the financial reports. I take my job and the accuracy of the data I surface seriously. Based on the current and projected growth of the company, Volusion Stock Options already have substantial value. This is the first time in my life I feel the options I am offered have substance. You do not need a Crystal Ball to see the direction of a privately held company that is profitable, has been for a while, and continues to grow.

I truly cannot say enough good things about being a part of Volusion.

Cons

I am sure that if I stopped focusing on the positive aspects of working here I could probably find things to complain about. I choose not to.

Worked for Volusion? Contribute to the Community!