www.volvogroup.com

Updated January 29, 2015
3.5

Volvo President & CEO Olof Persson
Olof Persson

Pros
  • Fair work life balance for a person who plans his/her work schedule (in 16 reviews)

• A professional organization, would good opportunities and space to explore them as well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Cold decision making or very slow in (in 5 reviews)

• No full time hiring taking place at the time of my co-op (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst Work Experience I've Ever Had

Former Employee - IT Support in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - IT Support in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Volvo as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It was nice working 1st shift Monday through Friday, I guess.

Cons

the office culture in Volvo User Request Services is very political. The manager (team lead) entrusts a few "key" office personnel to stealthily take pictures and text him regarding the work and going-ons of other employees so he can "work" from home every day. There is no open communication on the URS team; a few of us addressed the issue. However, all communication is routed through his unofficial lieutenants, one of which he's had a personal relationship with for a few years now. I don't believe the team lead could care less what a new employee thinks or how they are treated by his "key" personnel. The leadership is absentee. The lower minions would rather yell at someone for making mistakes than train a new employee how they want something done the first time which is actually a rather effective strategy when your goal is only to instill fear and obedience (ooh-rah, marine corps, etc, the chain of command.) When asking questions about daily processes, I was often treated as if I had spoken out of turn. i.e. "we'll tell you if you need to know something." However, that communication seldom comes. Team meetings provide no clarification and are often conducted without all employees present. The only team meetings I was invited to were spent reviewing statistics comparing the Greensboro Volvo location "numbers" to that of other Volvo locations. No assistance was given with how to utilize the online team-meeting application either. After months of working through lunches and staying late (without pay) to help when the workload was heavy, I was let go when the work lightened up. My terminable offense? A single occurrence of tardiness. I was terminated wrathfully and then humiliated. The manager cursed at me as he yelled for me to get my things and get out. He smiled down at me asking how old I was as I cried and fell down to my knees begging him to reconsider. They'll probably delete this review too like the last one. That's okay, I'll keep writing them.

some members on your teams have only become loyal to each other. Assigning a rotation of duties might be of great benefit to Volvo.

If you can't cope with change don't work for Volvo.

Current Employee - Process and IT in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Process and IT in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Volvo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is nice working in a global environment. The vast majority of people actually care about what is going on and what they can do to progress the company. Your ideas are always looked into and if they are an improvement they will be implemented. Great place to balance work and family. The benefits are wonderful!

Cons

Advancement I think can be difficult at times. Once you "master" your job you become a valuable asset to the team when it comes to reaching it's goals and vision. I believe this leads you to being left in place at times.

Share your vision with your employees better. We know what is needed and expected but sometimes the delivery of the message is foggy. Ask people if they want to move on to other things which will make better employees in the long run. Nobody wants to be "stuck" in a job. We want to move our careers forward just like Volvo wants to move it's business forward.

very good place to work at that company

I worked at Volvo

Pros

secure
    nice
    excellent atmosphere
    i like the food

Cons

lots of work
    hard to climb up

A good way for me to get my foot in the door

Former Employee - Driveline Engineering Co-op in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Driveline Engineering Co-op in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Volvo as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good treatment of co-ops/interns. Got to do a fair amount of hands-on and actual engineering work as compared to what I have heard about similar internships at other companies

Cons

No full time hiring taking place at the time of my co-op

Great company!

Former Employee - Executive in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Executive in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Volvo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dynamic, challenging, varied, global and fun.

Cons

Complicated, matrixed, cyclical and large.

Great job in general. Remeber employees are always the real assets of any company.

Great pay and benefits, great people, great company!

Current Employee - Assembly Line Operator in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Assembly Line Operator in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Volvo as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, some of which are quite unique to the company.

Cons

Not much time to learn/adjust some roles. Not every person instructing such roles (at each of the stations) is a fit instructor.

Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Volvo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, flexible work schedule depending on your manager, opportunity to travel internationally, good vacation

Cons

average pay at best, little opportuniity for advancement, too many chiefs not enough indians

too many chiefs - not enough indians; get out of your office and work

Nice place to study operations management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Volvo

Pros

interesting place to work for, people there are very kind and professional, knows their business and is leading the industry

Cons

lack some key variables such as communication between different departments, technology applied to manufacturing is high but low on supporting teams like logistics and transportations

could be more accessible in terms of communication and providing more cross departments supports, overall a very nice place to work for

Very political.

Former Employee - Senior Buyer/Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer/Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Volvo

Pros

You can certainly advance within the Volvo Group e.g. Volvo Parts, Volvo IT, etc. Non Automotive Purchasing is only one organization within Volvo Group.

Cons

USA employees have to follow globabl directives. No advancement opportunities within the local organization. Very high focus on cost savings. No bonus.

Trust your employees judgement. Global does not always know what local people know.

Good place to work if you enjoy working hard for limited advancement.

Current Employee - Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Volvo

Pros

Strategically the company is run very well financially.. Volvo is methodical in decision making to best balance profit, customer service, growth and employee satisfaction..

Cons

Career development is talked about or limited to specific category of people to meet quota requirements.

Great hidden talent within the ranks of workers who are held back by lack of developmental policies that would promote growth and career development. All talk but little action.

Volvo Photos