Volvo Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
93 reviews filtered by

1. Good place to work if you enjoy working hard for limited advancement.

I have been working at Volvo

Pros

Strategically the company is run very well financially.. Volvo is methodical in decision making to best balance profit, customer service, growth and employee satisfaction..

Cons

Career development is talked about or limited to specific category of people to meet quota requirements.

Great hidden talent within the ranks of workers who are held back by lack of developmental policies that would promote growth and career development. All talk but little action.

Multiple Headquarters

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Volvo

Pros

I really like the way Volvo executed projects. There was always an avenue to approach upper management. I liked the way they handled difficult situations.

Cons

Volvo bought out Mack Trucks Inc. Therefore I had two headquarters to report and recieve requests. There seemed to be an internal competition as to who knew the best way. I was caught in the middle of the conflict.

The mainframe systems at my location were being phased out. I did not see any opportunity for the future. I really liked Volvo alot, but there should have been an avenue for me to pursue with them.

Antiquated workplace

I have been working at Volvo

Pros

Big global corporation, brand name, relavtively stable job

Cons

Cube farm culture, Middle level mangers are directionless, Most of the challenging engineering work is handled in Sweden

Introduce open office culture and more flexible timings/vacation schedule for work/life balance. Enhance engineering capability in North America to serve the local market better

volvo way - questionable

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Volvo

Pros

no pressure at work and decent amount of allowed time off.
    you can keep your job without doing much work.

Cons

No room to advance and grow and strict one-way communication from the management.
    'Global' way is Swedish way and no real clear goal or vision other than big talks from the management.

please value regional (non-EU) employees, and senior regional management should focus more on regional growth and should listen to the voices from regional folks.

6. Excellent company to work for

I have been working at Volvo

Pros

Great medical and dental benefits and one of the last companies to offer cash pension plan.
    Takes care of employees, does not lay off employees at the slightest whim and fancy.
    Management supports your ideas and information flows freely between management and employees.
    Personal business plan for employees - excellent way of stating actionable goals to achieve in a year and monitoring them.

Cons

Slowest decision making process and after spending countless weeks discussing it in "workshops".
    Senior management lacks a backbone to take tough decisions.
    Decisions made in Sweden sometime absolutely make no sense.

management in Sweden: There are awesome guys working in NA. Listen to them so that they feel that thier opinion is being heard.

Good pay at the expense of career advancement

Former Employee - IT Support in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - IT Support in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Volvo

Pros

Volvo's pay rate appears to more than competitive compared to other organizations. The management is quite competent and very personable, which is more than I can say for many companies. The work environment is relaxed and generally fun; certainly nothing you will dread going to every day.

Cons

At least in my area, there was no clear path to advancement. In many cases you would need to transfer to a different department or take a significantly different job to move to a higher level. If you are unwilling or unable to do this, you will potentially be waiting years for a position to open up.

Create more opportunities for employees to advance within the company

The processes are in charge

I have been working at Volvo

Pros

Global, profitable and environment concious
    A good reputation as a responsible company

Cons

Everything is controlled by processes
    The individuals hide or are hidden behind those processes.
    HR are centralized and live a life of their own without proper feedback from the contributing parts of the company.

Decentralize HR and put the working parts of the organisation in charge of HR issues.
    Dont hide the indviduals behind processes.
    Make sure to get the right information, not just the middle management version.

Good employer to gain experience, but not a career.

Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Volvo

Pros

Company has very strong growth. Has a global presence. Strong engineering capability. A strong vision of where the company's wanted position is in the future. Strong opportunities for growth if you are Swedish or French. Opportunities to work in a multi-cultural environment.

Cons

For North Americans there is a significant glass ceiling; although, making up over 20% of the Powertrain workforce less than 5% of Americans in a senior role. At N-2 level of 24 positions only 1 or 2 Americans, at N-1 of 11 positions there are none. Personal Business Plans are how individuals are held accountable for their performance; however, there is no followed standard and evaluations can be arbitrary. One individual may have 4 objectives; whereas, another may have 10 and the one completing 9 of the 10 will get a lower rating than the 1 completing 4.
    There is also a visible distinction between how employees at various levels are treated with respect to travel conditions, busines class vs. economy class.

Senior managment could be more proactive in ensuring that the "Volvo Way" is followed across all sites.

Volvo is a great place to work with teriffic benefits

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Volvo

Pros

Great benefits and a great work life balance.

Cons

The company is so large that it often takes a long time to get things moving in the right direction and often there are multiple groups working on the same things without communication between those groups.

Break projects and objectives down into smaller pieces. Most projects I have seen here are started with many things that need to be done instead of do these 5 things and then move on in order to get to the end goal. What ends up happening is there is a lot of wasted time and effort and the results often end up being poorly implemented.

Neutral. Needs more improvement in having a competitive pay and benefits package.

Current Employee - Software Architect in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Volvo

Pros

Flexibility with schedules and a variety of business domain and technology areas one can get exposed to.

Cons

Slow in evolving, keeping up with changes. Rewards, pay raises are below industry practices.

Make the organization more competitive and reward employees suitably

Volvo Photos