Volvo Trucks

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dennis R. Slagle

Pros
  • Great work/life balance infact insisted by the higher management(in 7 reviews)

• good benefits, okay pay, cafeteria onsite, work gym, good people (generally)(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Volvo is a very large company, thus being very slow in decision making(in 5 reviews)

• Core developement is done at sweden and only dust cleaning jobs are given to India(in 5 reviews)

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company, love working here.

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsEuropean company, good work/life balance.

ConsCumbersome processes that make it hard to get things done.

Good employer with great benefits

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsGreat Benefits and vacation, Good work life balance

ConsSlow moving process oriented environment

Very rewarding

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsGood location, great people, good vacation plan, good pay.

ConsOverloaded with projects, raises hard to get sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter chance of moving up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, short, product focused project

Project Manager (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsGreat management & coworkers. Open culture regarding company goals and product features.
    Camaraderie is great, and works well in between layers of hierarchy.

ConsStrict career ladder structure, dated and crowded office landscapes.
    Located a bit off the beaten path for HQ-standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on premium product and long term strategy.

A great company to work for but hard to get hired full time.

Parts Specialist (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsIt's a large company with well set policies and procedures so there's never any confusion.

ConsIt's easy to get lost in the shuffle in a company this size and even harder to get hired from temp to perm.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the experience and hard work of your contractors and reward them with a full time job. There are a lot of folks who have been temps for several years.

Manipulation and Intimidation

IT Consultant (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

Prosif you absolutely have to gain some experience in the IT field or just need a paycheck, Volvo User Request Services is a job. Regardless of degree or IT certifications, most of your job will be inventorying outdated computers, stacking them on pallets for disposal and running the daily mail around. i.e. "everyone starts at the bottom"

ConsYou are intentionally set up for failure from the beginning. Your mistakes will be used as opportunities to exercise authority and instill dominance upon you. The real managers never come in. You will be at the mercy of their unqualified secret assistants on a daily basis. The office culture is simple pack mentality. If you're a young pretty girl, you will probably have opportunity. However, if you've been there less than 3 years, you don't really matter. Their carefully practiced songs and dance will make you question everything about yourself. There is a point to that. To succeed? Figure out how to do their job better and more efficiently and then let them take the credit for it. Be submissive in their presence and take responsibility for their failures. Volvo User Request Services motto: "do everything for me while I watch youtube all day. Don't complain about it either because I have a personal relationship with the boss that his wife doesn't want to know about and I'm looking for dirt on you in case you find out about it. If you do find out or I just don't like you, you WILL be fired. I'm four for four, so far

Advice to Senior Managementcome to work and do your own job instead of installing office spies to take pictures and digitally monitor the moves of others. This isn't the Marine Corps; employees aren't new recruits. After twenty years, though, I guess old habits are hard to break. If you're going to demand that employees never make mistakes maybe you should come to the office every once in awhile. You aren't "working" from home and you aren't faithful to your wife either.

Good workplace. Very multicultural

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsMulticultural, open, fair, good benefits

ConsBig company, hard to make changes, difficulty to advance (unless you are swedish)

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote some non Swedish

Wonderful

Sales (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsExpanding company that is truly growing

ConsNo bad things to report here.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Its a job, no advancement unless you're connected to a Swede or "good old boy"

Senior Buyer (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

Prosgood benefits, okay pay, cafeteria onsite, work gym, good people (generally)

ConsLow starting salary when young& new so you get pigion holed (+2.5-3.5% annually) long term. Either jump between departments or leave then come back for advancement. Non-empowered (decisions made by Swedes) & silo (not my within my job scope= don't care) work mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hard-workers get more work load, rotated around, and "trash" dumped on them with very little raises or bonuses. "tenured" people barely performs because they are "pigion hold" in their current job and extremely protective of the knowledge & contacts or "just don't care anymore" therefore creates a very non-motivated & silo work environment overall. Consulting positions that are non value added or outsourcing to India & Brazil because people are "riding" it out not realizing they are setting the future up for failure.

There would be less moving around between business groups if people were properly compensated. One either has to transfer to a new job in a new department or leave the company then come back. Work life balance depends if you to become "the dumping ground" or not.

Management can't make decisions (decision bodies, steering committees, etc.) to save their lives, no direction just execution! "Good old boys" in top management "strategy" creates personal vendetta among the excess politics. Promotions are based on who you can pound a "beer" with or kissing their "behind". Downside to that is if they leave they may be replaced by a Swede or a French that just simply can't understand the NA's market.

Interesting work, but low pay

Engineer (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsYou get an inside look at how the big rigs work and how they are designed. The Greensboro facility has extensive testing facilities to allow engineers to understand what makes truck parts fail. A relaxed atmosphere with European customs makes people feel more at home.

ConsMany new people come in as contractors. To go direct the pay drops 30%. Office politics abound.

Worked for Volvo Trucks? Contribute to the Community!