Volvo Trucks

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dennis R. Slagle

Pros:
  • "Great ambient and a good work - life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "good benefits, okay pay, cafeteria onsite, work gym, good people (generally)"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Volvo has actively developed a bureaucracy which makes rapid action and decision making difficult"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Core developement is done at sweden and only dust cleaning jobs are given to India"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good employer with great benefits

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits and vacation, Good work life balance

ConsSlow moving process oriented environment

Very rewarding

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsGood location, great people, good vacation plan, good pay.

ConsOverloaded with projects, raises hard to get sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter chance of moving up.

Good, short, product focused project

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsGreat management & coworkers. Open culture regarding company goals and product features.
    Camaraderie is great, and works well in between layers of hierarchy.

ConsStrict career ladder structure, dated and crowded office landscapes.
    Located a bit off the beaten path for HQ-standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on premium product and long term strategy.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company to work for but hard to get hired full time.

Parts Specialist (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsIt's a large company with well set policies and procedures so there's never any confusion.

ConsIt's easy to get lost in the shuffle in a company this size and even harder to get hired from temp to perm.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the experience and hard work of your contractors and reward them with a full time job. There are a lot of folks who have been temps for several years.

Manipulation and Intimidation

IT Consultant (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

Prosif you absolutely have to gain some experience in the IT field or just need a paycheck, Volvo User Request Services is a job. Regardless of degree or IT certifications, most of your job will be inventorying outdated computers, stacking them on pallets for disposal and running the daily mail around. i.e. "everyone starts at the bottom"

ConsYou are intentionally set up for failure from the beginning. Your mistakes will be used as opportunities to exercise authority and instill dominance upon you. The real managers never come in. You will be at the mercy of their unqualified secret assistants on a daily basis. The office culture is simple pack mentality. If you're a young pretty girl, you will probably have opportunity. However, if you've been there less than 3 years, you don't really matter. Their carefully practiced songs and dance will make you question everything about yourself. There is a point to that. To succeed? Figure out how to do their job better and more efficiently and then let them take the credit for it. Be submissive in their presence and take responsibility for their failures. Volvo User Request Services motto: "do everything for me while I watch youtube all day. Don't complain about it either because I have a personal relationship with the boss that his wife doesn't want to know about and I'm looking for dirt on you in case you find out about it. If you do find out or I just don't like you, you WILL be fired. I'm four for four, so far

Advice to Senior Managementcome to work and do your own job instead of installing office spies to take pictures and digitally monitor the moves of others. This isn't the Marine Corps; employees aren't new recruits. After twenty years, though, I guess old habits are hard to break. If you're going to demand that employees never make mistakes maybe you should come to the office every once in awhile. You aren't "working" from home and you aren't faithful to your wife either.

Good workplace. Very multicultural

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsMulticultural, open, fair, good benefits

ConsBig company, hard to make changes, difficulty to advance (unless you are swedish)

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote some non Swedish

Black/white collar divide creates chaos

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCafe right next to offices, friendly plant workers, lots of tech to get work done

ConsIT system very convoluted, management is meant to reach corporate goals and may avoid what might help the plant, poor vision for future goals other than "produce more, spend less"

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a better plan for the future for each division of the plant with concrete goals and communication

Wonderful

Sales (Former Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsExpanding company that is truly growing

ConsNo bad things to report here.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great job to get experience.

ProsGet experience. Learn about manufacturing and design process. Great ambient and a good work - life balance.

ConsLow salary. Low compensation and benefits. Not a good salaries for training.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease Compensations & Benefits

Operations (Current Employee)
    Hagerstown, MD

ProsThought going by name Volvo seemed great but after spending some time, don't see any pros that stand out as such.

ConsPeople don't stick around, they move internally, leave the organization, team leads have resentful and adamant attitude most of the times. They have to learn a lot on how to treat people.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more resources in employee development and training, try to retain good people, talk to them about their issues, understand them first hand, make them feel they belong there. I am sure you will reap benefits if quality of management changes.

Worked for Volvo Trucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Volvo Trucks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Volvo Trucks CEO Dennis R. Slagle. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by Volvo Trucks employees.