Von Maur

Von Maur Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Von Maur President James D. von Maur

James D. von Maur

Pros
  • Great pay for a retail job; all holidays off; time and a half on Sundays(in 39 reviews)

• Ttime and half on Sunday and no crazy holiday hours(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Some folks consider the dress code to be a con, though it never bothered me(in 43 reviews)

• The lack of diversity within this company's upper management is amazing(in 32 reviews)

What a place !!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsNice employees , holiday pay, Sunday rate 1 1/2 time, employee discount

ConsThe low interpersonal skills in management - almost no connection to sales associates -
    Age of most floor managers shows lack of experience - Tess time clock system too ridged -
    difficult to make allowances for family circumstances when they occur. the feeling of most employees is that management is always spying on you with the security cameras - the dress code for women is archaic - this is a fashion business - get up to date.
    Associates are always asked to cover other areas that they in many cases are not familiar with - very unprofessional to customers - need more cross training. Retail has high turnover but it is extreme at this company - management doesn't care

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with the employees

Run!

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits for retail work, but not worth the "walking on eggshells" feeling employees have every day. Often come upon associates crying in the locker room, which does not say much for management.

ConsOutdated dress code for women. Dishonest, intimidating, manipulative management. No positive feedback, only negative. No matter how well you do, how much praise you receive from customers, it is never enough. You are as good as the dollars you brought in on the last day you were at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet honest. I have actually had a store manager flat out lie to me. Stop gossiping about employees...how unprofessional!

Von Maur

Buyer (Current Employee) Davenport, IA

ProsTravel, pay is good for area

ConsNot flexible, little support and high stress environment

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more positive feedback and not just negative

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strict Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospay
    no long retail hours
    paid holidays

Consstrict policy-women had to wear skirts and panty hose at all times

Prehistoric, unknowledgeable management

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsDiscount, time and a half on Sundays

ConsDegrading management, It's not your money, why do you care attitude. You're always wrong no matter what.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff. You wouldn't have a job without us so get off your high horse.

Family-owned company treats employees well

Floor Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCompany promotes almost exclusively from within
    Starting hourly wage for sales associate $10, very generous for retail
    Friendly environment -- everyone knows each others names
    20% discount on everything including sale merchandise
    Management is very accessible
    Fantastic merchandise
    No crazy holiday hours (close at 4pm on Thanksgiving eve, Christmas eve, and NYE)
    Great health insurance (yes, slightly more expensive than other employers, but worth it)
    Fun contests and "spiffs"
    1% commission for hourly associates on everything you sell (cosmetics associates receive 3% commission on the line they represent, shoe associates receive base wage or 10% commission, whichever is higher)

ConsWhile better than all other retailers I've worked for, it is still retail, so you have to be realistic about your expectations, particularly in regards to scheduling
    High standards make for high turnover
    Some folks consider the dress code to be a con, though it never bothered me
    At the management level, the salary did not adequately compensate for the hours and stress (it is best to be young, single, and childless)

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for treating your employees well. There should be much more leadership training for Department Managers, and more in-depth training for executives. The CSIP process is great feedback for associates, but a paperwork pain in the neck for DMs and executives -- we live in an age of wonderful technology, please use some of it.

Unbelievable bad place to work

ProsTime 1/2 on Sunday, off major holidays

ConsUnprofessional exec mgmt, mistrust toward dept managers and associates. After several yrs I still feel like my job is on the line at all times. Everyone is treated like a child- especially dept.managers!!! One writer said the turnover was due to high standards. NO, it's due to the absolute paranoia of the entire company. I cannot stress fully the tense, stressful working situation that is von maur!

Advice to Senior ManagementYOUR ASSOCIATES ARE NOT THE ENEMY, STOP RUNNING THEM OFF!!! ADVERTISE FOR GOSH SAKES BEFORE YOU'RE CRUSHED BY THE COMPETITION. FOLLOW UP BOOKS ARE NOT THE ANSWER. ADVERTISE !!!!!!!!!

Nice place to work & shop

Shoe Sales Associate (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsEasy to move up through company, nice place to work if you are in to working at a mall, nice facilities for employees, decent benefits

ConsToo many managers, a whole lot of emphasis placed on selling Von Maur charge cards, can be poor communication between management and sales staff

Advice to Senior ManagementFurther empower your employees to make decisions

Good job if you have no real career goals.

Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsClosed on major holidays and commission. Also, I was asked to be a manager after a couple months, I declined.

ConsVery catty work atmosphere, tons of gossip and high turnover rate. You can go two weeks without a day off and they many people steal their coworker's sales/clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better and don't allow senior workers to dictate a negative work environment.

Keep Your Mouth Shut If You Want To Keep Your Job

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat hours for retail, closed holidays, better than average starting pay, ability to move up within the company.

ConsThe most ridiculous customer service policies I've ever seen, and I've been in retail for over 20 years. The customer is NOT always right, and is quite often very wrong. They have trained their customers to take complete advantage of this policy, to the point that people are ripping them off by making purchases and coming back months later to get price adjustments. You might be able to live with that if the company treated it's staff well.

It's nice to be able to move up within a company, but they'll promote anyone, if they like you. I've seen people get promoted up to 5 times within one year, and no one is that good. They even publicize their promotions in a quarterly magazine, so that the entire company can see where you've been and for how long. If you get a floor manager that you like, who seems to be astute and intelligent, they'll soon be replaced by a twenty-something climber who has no clue what retail management is about. Whatever you do, don't voice your actual concerns or opinions to this person, because she'll use them against you in her climb to the top. If you are a department manager, you should never tell one of these Barbie dolls anything they might really need to know about your area, like who actually does their job, who violates policy, who has great skills, etc., You will be viewed as biased, playing favorites with your staff. Never mind that upper management plays favorites within their DM's. Any conversations you have with upper management regarding reviews or staffing are usually done with another member of upper management present, but you need to document things for your own protection, because if one of your witnesses leaves the company, your word is worthless. Upper management will lie to you and betray you, if they are told to by regionals, and they will claim that they have no recollection of conversations. Managers are regularly demoted, ruining professional reputations and causing embarrassment. If you want to get rid of someone you work with, go to upper management and make up wild stories and lies. You will be believed, and your target has to find a way to defend themselves.

The actual scheduling system is badly designed, and is not fair. If you want to manipulate the system, you cam plan things so that you work every Sunday, earning time and a half, while forcing you co-workers to work slow hours during the week. Some people haven't worked a Sunday in months, others never seem to close on Saturday night. Even though you get one weekend off a month, they process it so that you could go 7 weeks without a weekend off, then get 2 close together With the exception of my weekends off, I have currently worked ever Saturday and Sunday for the last 4 months, most weeks closing on Saturday nights. I am told that this is my fault, because I need to make requests to my availability, and that the system is deliberately designed to be unfair. What? So it's Ok for upper management to play favorites, it's OK for the schedule to be unfair, but if anyone randomly accuses a DM of having favorites, they can lose their job.

The dress code is archaic and sexist. How do you tell your employees that it's unprofessional for women to wear pants, yet we can have a female Secretary of State who wears pants? It's interesting that we don't have many skirts available for purchase, either, so we apparently approve of pants for our female business customers. Don't mention this to your buyers, though. They have no interest in what the customer actually asks for, and if you work for a smaller store, you'll never get the good stuff anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the scheduling system so that employees have a fair distribution of weekend shifts. Institute a five minute grace period for tardies. It would be good for morale.

Your DM's need to be people who have experience, and who can handle the job, not just those who ask to be managers. Value them for their leadership, and don't punish them for being strong. Don't validate whiners or gossips, and don't listen to spies and tattletales. Floor Managers need to be experienced and seasoned.

Be clear about policies, and enforce them fairly. If someone doesn't make their goal at the end of 90 days, let them go. Don't go back on your word when it's convenient.

Be consistent in your training. Don't tell your new hires that they need to make one contact for every 8 hours worked, then tell them that only certain contacts count. If I make calls to 6 stores to track down a sale sweater for a customer, when I call the customer to tell them their sweater has arrived, it should count as a contact. I certainly worked for it. Don't tell the Cosmetics associates that all 500 of their names/numbers count as valued customers, while associates in other areas are told to keep about 15-20 as actual "valued" customers.

Change the dress code. Period.

Be consistent, and treat all your employees fairly.

Worked for Von Maur? Contribute to the Community!