Von Maur Reviews

Reset
2.4
Von Maur President James D. von Maur
James D. von Maur

Pros
  • Down time, time in a half on Sundays (in 44 reviews)

• No crazy holiday hours (close at 4pm on Thanksgiving eve, Christmas eve, and NYE) (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Dress code needs revised shouldn't have to freeze or be sweating in front of customers (in 54 reviews)

• Expect upper management to look at you with no sympathy (in 40 reviews)

1. Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I worked at Von Maur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really care about their customers and help associates have the tools to be great at their job

Cons

No cons. Be prepared to work weekends. It is retail.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work! you were a great manager

Mixed emotions about the store

Former Employee - Men's and Kids Shoe Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Men's and Kids Shoe Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at Von Maur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discount, great merchandise, interest free credit card, great pay, great co workers, mostly laid back environment

Cons

Management only cares about the customers, they will not work around your schedule for dr appointments, all management are like little robots, almost all upper management was mid 20's or early 30's women who knew very little about running such a massive department store. They had no college and were promoted from within. All having started as a sales associate that fit the robot requirement so they quickly climbed the corporate ladder. Which is great for the company because with no management expierence or college they can lowball them and pay them half what most department store managers are making.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees, get to know them, don't be fake to them, treat them like real people.

3. Cosmetics Department Manager

Current Employee - Cosmetics Department Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Department Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No crazy holiday hours, Sunday Time and a half, good pay rate

Cons

some favoratisom Department managers are not given any real authority.

Great place to work

Pros

Everything is great!!! I enjoy working here. I can't ask for a better work environment. Being off all holidays is a plus.

Cons

Nothings perfect. It's all in what you want to get out of the experience. Having a positive attitude is contagious. Do your best and all will fall into place.

Advice to Management

Awesome team!

6. Mens Counter Sales and Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service & Fragrance Counter Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service & Fragrance Counter Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Von Maur full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount and the incentives for great sales and customer service.

Cons

The management philosophy and overall general staunch culture.

Advice to Management

Focus on the principles that matter. Being professional and completely by the book is wonderful, but being professional and to the letter- in spite of generating revenue-is not good business-for any retailer.

7. Strategist

Former Employee - Strategist
    Former Employee - Strategist

Pros

Was a great place to be

Cons

none all is good and

Advice to Management

none great

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate

Pros

Most of the sales associates were professional and like-minded people, the management at my store did a decent job, and the customers were generally respectful and friendly.

Cons

It's been about 6 months since I quit, so I feel like I have enough hindsight to write a fair and mostly unbiased review. Von Maur is like a very fancy prison for its employees. From the strict dress code, to the long hours without breaks, to the overhead surveillance of employees, it's difficult to not feel trapped (not to mention, hearing the same recorded piano tracks 4 times a day, every day, feels like psychological warfare). There are other ridiculous rules and procedures, like having add people to customer binder (I forgot what it's called) even if the store is always dead and no one is interested in being added to your stupid book. You will get fired for excessive tardies, and by that, I mean if you live in a part of the country that regularly experiences snowstorms and your car doesn't start or if you are unable find a safe route to work, TOO BAD. I often drove with excessive speed or without regards to my personal safety out of fear of being fired. That is not okay. Also, the commission procedure is unfair. Working full-time and consistently meeting rather unobtainable sales goals, I made less in commission than others who worked part-time in more "lucrative" departments. I could go on. And on. And on. Since I left my job, I have not given Von Maur any business. I don't support companies that treat employees unfairly.

Advice to Management

Don't ask for employee feedback if it means nothing. And for god's sake, let women wear dress pants, especially if you're going to keep the store frigid.

Department manager

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is so friendly and welcoming. You have alot to learn but everyone is supportive and there to help. Dress code is strict but its professional and that shouldnt be such a downfall as many of these reviews had made it seem to be.

Cons

Alot of responsibility with all your tasks and juggling customer service

Advice to Management

Have more staff in each department to help juggle bigger tasks. (Stock for holiday season/cold weather)

10. Great place to work if your career path is in retail management.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Hoover, AL
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Hoover, AL

I have been working at Von Maur part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay, holidays off, advanced scheduling, and one weekend off per month off

Cons

Sale goals can be challlenging to meet due to scheduling. For example, having more staff scheduled than needed on a slow night. That impacts the associates ability to meet the sales.

11. Sales Associate (women's shoes)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Von Maur part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great money, good managers, decent hours, holidays off

Cons

part time hours can greatly affect how much money can be made Tardy by one minute? Might as well be an hour.

RSS Feed </> Embed