Von Maur Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014

2.1

Von Maur President James D. von Maur
James D. von Maur

Pros
  • Great pay for a retail job; all holidays off; time and a half on Sundays (in 39 reviews)

• Ttime and half on Sunday and no crazy holiday hours (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Some folks consider the dress code to be a con, though it never bothered me (in 43 reviews)

• The lack of diversity within this company's upper management is amazing (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

New employee

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Von Maur full-time for less than a year

Pros

Higher hourly rate than most retail stores.

Cons

Unfriendly co-workers and management discourages friendships among associates; although EXPECT teamwork among associates. Very "high-school" atmosphere, cliques among associates, petty gossip, back-stabbing are common!
    Management act like they are coaches at a cheerleading camp or teachers at a preschool; very hard to respect when they don't act professional.

Department Manager

I have been working at Von Maur

Pros

Great retail schedule. Great benefits.

Cons

Low base pay. Discount isn't much.

Pay more.

Wonderful Experience! A company I will retire with!

I have been working at Von Maur for more than a year

Pros

-Competitive Pay
    -No Holidays
    -Supportive/Understanding Management Team
    -Ease of Communication with Upper Management, Regional and Buying Team (Really cool that you are able to meet your Regional and talk with Buyers/Since it is a smaller company it is still very close knit/Very impressed when the Regional remembers associates/DM's by name)
    -Old Fashioned Concept but the company is definitely trying to add a more Contemporary/Updated feel to keep up with competitors
    -Family Owned Company- Von Maur truly cares about it's employees and their well being/"Von Maur Family"
    -Great Product/Buyers listen to feedback from the stores and we will sometimes recieve the brands if they are in high demand
    -Fun Work Environment
    -Heroics
    -Fun Selling/Credit Contests
    -Upscale/Beautiful Store (Women's Restrooms are AMAZING!)
    -Room for Advancement/Company Promotes from Within- You are rewarded for a job well done!
    -CEO and family visit the stores for their Grand Opening and regularly shop at the stores near Corporate/Very down to Earth/Friendly Family
    - Great Training Program/Very thorough and informative/Provides you with the tools to get out on the floor and be prepared to help customers
    -Awesome Customer Service Philosophy/"The Customer is Always Right!"/It makes it so easy to be able to always ensure 100% Customer Satisfaction
    -CSIP Monthly Reviews with DM allows you to always know where you stand
    -Dress Code makes the company look uniform and very professional/Discounts on hosiery since it is a staple for women and men that work for Von Maur
    -Awesome Benefits/Fair Prices/Good Coverage/401K Package/Paid Holidays after you've worked for the company for a year
    -Freedom to merchandise/There are Visual Guidelines but no Planogram's which allows a lot of freedom when merchandising
    Overall, a great company to work for!

Cons

-None
    I enjoy my job at Von Maur. The company sets high expectations for the employees but they are fair and reasonable. Make your sales goals, give great service, respect your fellow coworkers and managers and have a good time! It's a simple philosophy and a very rewarding career!

I am very grateful to work for Von Maur! I have a positive outlook for the future of this company! Von Maur is a respectable company and I am proud to be an employee here!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company!

I worked at Von Maur

Pros

They truly care about their employees and their customers.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. Von Maur has great values and will forever be a great business.

Very traditional company

I have been working at Von Maur

Pros

This company offers good pay and benefits and upper management is generally very friendly. Career advancement is high if you are a college graduate willing to start as a sales associate and work your way up.

Cons

Policies are very outdated for example- women must wear dresses or skirts with panty hose and men must wear suit with a jacket. Corporate office is very strict- no personal items on the desk, no water allowed at desk, no gum, cannot change background on computer

Reassess policies to align with 2014

Welcome to the town of Stedford wives!!

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Victor, NY
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Victor, NY

I worked at Von Maur full-time for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful store, pay not bad, no holidays and time in a half for Sundays!

Cons

Upper management is under 23, single white females with NO retail experience!!! It's almost as if corp. wants Stedford wives that they can mold! (To fit into their cult) They talk down to you as if your special needs, even though you have 20 years retail experience. They are not open to any ideas, suggestions or your opinion at all. When you do try to give your opinion, they look at you like a deer in the head lights. CLUELESS!!!!
    Whatever you do don't be one min late or you'll get canned! Well unless they like you and your a top sales producer in your department.
    During my time at Von Maur I saw so many awesome people get let go or just quit, cause they couldn't take it. Management could careless, everyone is replaceable. Our floor manager had Zero people skills, but that's what to expect from a dingbat 22-year-old! Again that's what Von Maur wants! God forbid you actually have intelligent people with retail experience, HR experience and professionalism.

Upper managent in Davenport, IA needs to look at the big picture!! You would think they would be concerned that a stores turns help like crazy. Yet I don't think Jim Von Maur cares, he was too busy talking to the pretty young DM's when he came to our store. Funny???? Some of those ladies ended up getting promoted! Suprize, suprize!!!!!!!

If I could give it less than one star I would

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Von Maur part-time for less than a year

Pros

$10 an hour, 15 minute breaks are nice I guess?

Cons

So robotic, stiff & dry, awful environment

.....maybe learn the names of your employees

If I could give it zero stars, I would.

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Von Maur full-time for less than a year

Pros

Full vision, dental, medical, and life insurance, a few good staff members

Cons

running several departments alone, tasks that are inhumanly possible to complete on time, getting harassed/threatened by department managers

Better communication between staff and management, hire/assign more workers on a shift

i hated it.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Beavercreek, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beavercreek, OH

I worked at Von Maur part-time for less than a year

Pros

pay, time and a half on sundats

Cons

dress code, ltaeness, managers are annoying

A joke for a retailer!

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager  in  Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Davenport, IA

I worked at Von Maur full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clean stores

Decent merchandise selections with a few high end brands

Time and a half on Sunday

Loyal customers

No crazy holiday hours

Cons

Inexperienced management

Archaic and stiff dress code

Lack of efficient technology

Micro managing and distrustful of employees

There are lots of "hidden rules" that you are unaware of until you are called out and it's too late to find a solution

A cult like atmosphere

Horrible scheduling system

Department Managers have no real authority to run and lead their respective departments

The compensation is not all it's cracked up to be...1 percent commission...come on! That's nothing compared to what Nordstrom pays it's employees.

Lack of diversity in upper management

Managers get promoted too quickly and they haven't really gained enough experience in their trade

This company tries to copy cat Nordstrom and sorry it doesn't cut it!

Lack of advertising

High turnover and having to cover other departments

While going thru an actual interview or training process if you call it that, HR had to read verbatim from a book to conduct an interview and the training was done kind of the same way.

Need I say more??? There are too many other cons to mention!

My advice to Jim Von Maur would be to make changes on how the company is run. For example, hire a regional director for specific departments such as cosmetics to assess strengths, weaknesses and ways to motivate and drive business.

Allow Department Managers to have authority to write/approve schedules to maximize coverage, hold team meetings, and be involved in the hiring process!

Stop hiring young twenty somethings with no retail or customer service backgrounds for management positions and then promoting them into upper management.

Allow and listen to feedback from your staff and department managers. Remember, they are the ones on the front lines making it happen!

Ease up on the dress code and be a little more fashion forward. Women can look very classy in a nice pants suit and guys don't have to wear a jacket and tie to look presentable...ever seen a guy in a nice sport coat with a dressy classic tee underneath?

Worked for Von Maur? Contribute to the Community!