Von Maur Reviews

339 reviews filtered by
2.3
Von Maur President James D. von Maur
James D. von Maur

Pros
  • Great pay for a retail job; all holidays off; time and a half on Sundays (in 44 reviews)

• Great co-workers, no crazy holiday hours (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • For a high-end 'fashionable' store, their dress code is about 60 years too late (in 54 reviews)

• Upper management sits in their office and seldomly shows their face on the floor (in 40 reviews)

1. Department Manager

Current Employee - Department Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Time and a half every Sunday. You pick any weekend you want off per month. Closed 4th of July, Easter, and labor day

Cons

I think there high turnover sends an unwelcoming feeling. You are never going to get a decent raise once you are locked in you pay doesn't change too much. No bonuses for making your department numbers at the end of the year.

Advice to Management

Give your department managers the opportunity to hire employees. Give them bonuses for making plan. Rethink your annual raise amounts.

2. Floor manager

I have been working at Von Maur

Pros

The hours were great and they were closed on holidays. Some of the best hours in retail.

Cons

Policies are strict, you must wear skirt and pantyhose

Fragrance Manager

I worked at Von Maur

Pros

Great pay, fantastic company, promotes within, promotions ACTUALLY HAPPEN, amazing benefits!

Cons

Dress code, men- full suit women- dress or skirt that meets the knee with pantyhose at all times.

Advice to Management

when asking for your expected wage, shoot high.

5. Great college job

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Von Maur part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Friendly coworkers
    -20% discount on full-price and sale items
    -Von Maur tends to hire from within so if you are looking to move up in the company starting at the bottom is the best option
    -Most departments earn 1% or more commission on all sales which greatly impacts your pay checks
    -Sales goals are very achievable
    -Good benefits for full-time employees
    -Offer many incentives such as cash and merchandise

Cons

-High turnover rate
    -Not always well organized

6. I've been working as sales associate for about 3 years, and all this time have been thinking about changing a company.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The store is closed on major holidays. Very nice customers, clean and beautiful environment. The pay is decent for retail.

Cons

Very inconsistent unpredictable schedule which makes it almost impossible to make any plans and appointments. Long hours of work, very unprofessional management resulted from promotions from within, resistant to changes

Advice to Management

To appreciate employees that work on the floor and keep the company going.

7. Gift wrapping was a lot of fun!

Current Employee - Seasonal Gift Wrapper in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Seasonal Gift Wrapper in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Von Maur part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, Nice co-workers, Nice pay, Easy work.

Cons

I have no cons. It was a really great place to work and I had a lot of fun doing it.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management.

8. Great job, great pay, awful management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Normal, IL

I worked at Von Maur

Pros

Great hourly pay, commission, monthly reviews, good discount, steady hours, good training program

Cons

AWFUL MANAGEMENT! It seemed like this store was being ran by a clique of high school aged, catty little girls. They expect their employees to basically be robots programmed to work for Von Maur and have no other outside life or commitments. Even if you're bed ridden with the flu, have a death in the family, or any other serious personal problem, they refuse to have any empathy and will write you up no matter what the situation is. Also, if you work in a department that isn't very busy, it gets INCREDIBLY boring. There is only so much straightening and organizing you can do, especially if your department is rarely shopped in. They also sometimes held very unrealistic hourly sales goals for associates. You can't schedule four people to work in the same department at the same time on a weekday and expect them to each sell $500 worth of merchandise in a hour. And if you don't meet your sales goal, you're written up for that as well, no matter how dead the store is.

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees are PEOPLE. If someone has been a great employee the entire time theyve worked there, you have no reason to be mad and snotty and passive aggressive if something serious comes up and they're incapable of working. Try to build a relationship with your employees instead of just treating them like your servants, and you'll gain much more respect and your turnaround rate will decrease dramatically.

9. Brainwashing

I worked at Von Maur

Pros

Holidays off and in sales you get a small commission

Cons

Favoritism and backwards dress codes and no work life balance

Poor management, high-turnover, but good pay for part time

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Normal, IL

I have been working at Von Maur part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company values, time-and-a-half pay on Sundays, holidays off, good pay for part time

Cons

no structure, no leadership, high turnover, long hours with short breaks, you are on your own from day one.

Advice to Management

Be more readily available to the sales staff, treat the staff with more respect, assist the sales associates when necessary

Meh.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Von Maur part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good for retail.
    There were some fun memories/moments (it was a new store that had opened, so it was kinda cool getting to be a part of that.)
    Some of the other sales associates (in my department and other departments) became good friends of mine.
    The discount (20%) wasn't too bad, especially when items were on sale. Von Maur does have good sales, things can get mark downed pretty low.
    There is definitely room for growth. They love to promote from within.

Cons

Management can be a bit stuck up at times.
    My DM was nice, but had never had experience as a manager before and that definitely showed.
    I worked part-time since I'm in college still and have classes, but even on days (weekdays) that I could come in earlier in the day, they would still schedule me 5-9. And even on weekends I always got closing shifts. It made it difficult to meet all the outrageous goals you have to get (sales, charge card, and contact list goals) when they kept scheduling me to work shifts when the store was barely busy. There were many nights I worked where I seriously only helped one customer.
    The absent/tardy policy is a joke. If you clock in ONE minute late, it counts as a tardy.
    I sometimes felt like I was a Von Maur robot and if I happened to not meet my goal requirements, it would make me upset because I was really trying. It would be different if I didn't care, but I did. In the end however, it didn't matter.

Advice to Management

There are some people who will love working here and some people who will hate it. I didn't necessarily hate it, but I didn't love it either.
    If management would change/update a few things about their policies and be more understanding with their employees (sometimes things come up and you can't make it to work or can't make it on time) than I think they would on the right track.

Von Maur Photos