Von Maur

Employer Engaged

Loss Prevention

Former Employee - Full Time Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Full Time Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Von Maur full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, no real holiday hours, insurance, clean working place, pretty much paid to stand around...Good employee discount..

Cons

Very old fashion in multiple areas of the company.. One write-up stops you from getting a promotion regardless of the good work you may have done of the time you have been employed.. They like to use the phrase "the grey area" this mean since a lot of things are not in black and white, it allows them to enforce unwritten rules whenever they want..

Management should be more in touch with their associates and not play favorites. Promotion should be based on experience and not your just like by management.. Von Maur needs to pro-active than re-active.. Their should be no reason a person of color should have to file a lawsuit to get a promotion for him to move up..

It was okay working there.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Von Maur full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Health Care, Pay, Holidays off, time and a half on Sunday. Easy work, flexible with school, commission.

Cons

Young Management, high turn over, slow customer flow.

Schedules Shouldn't Be Made By A Computer...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the people I work with, I've met some wonderful friends here. The pay and hours are good for a retail job. Lots of vacation/sick days for everyone.

Cons

TESS (the scheduling system) is extremely flawed. It has scheduled me 10+ days in a row when I was told that wouldn't happen/there was an alert built into the system. I sometimes feel "overworked" and I can't really take off when I need to.

Try not to play favorites. Not everyone works the same way as everyone else.

Too old fashioned in some respects

Former Employee - Customer Service in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Davenport, IA

I worked at Von Maur part-time (more than a year)

Pros

For full time employees there were opportunities to move into other areas of the organization. The company maintains better hours that other stores in the mall, even during the holiday season.

Cons

Women cannot wear slacks. Women can only wear dresses or skirts with hosiery. Dress code needs to loosen up a bit. Office employees are not allowed to have water or coffee at their desks.

great experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Von Maur part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

very classy working environment. friendly co workers. nice management.

Cons

have to wear dresses. women can not wear pantsuits.

no problem with them

Full time sales associate

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Victor, NY
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Victor, NY

I worked at Von Maur full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Health care benefits are good

Cons

Management was useless & rude. You don't have to have blonde hair or be a "Stepford wide" to be a good employee.

Treat your employees like you want your employees to treat the customers

Great at first, but the illusion wears off quick

Former Employee - Clerical in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Clerical in Davenport, IA

I worked at Von Maur full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Office program training, health, dental, life, & short term disability insurance offered, Major holidays off.

Cons

Once there and established in your role, there will never be a way to move up. You are labeled as soon as you are hired. They will let you think there is room for growth, all the while knowing they will never promote you and it will take years for you to get even a dollar more an hour than you did when you first started. Office staff are not appreciated or valued and are often reminded that everyone, including you, is replaceable. They will always choose the 22 year old blonde female sorority sister with zero experience over degreed office staff to promote to buying and management positions. If you have free will and half a brain you will be miserable working there.

Truly promote from within. Look at all of your employees and their assets. It's time to stop hiring only young, dumb, and blonde girls to run your store. Just they have a bachelors degree doesn't mean they are smart or know what they are doing. Trust your training programs and promote from the bottom up.

It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there...

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Von Maur full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Comprehensive initial training period
    - Beautiful store atmosphere
    - Exemplary customer service policy
    - Decent associate discount, and benefits for full-time employees
    - Time and a half pay on Sundays
    - Closed all major holidays, with no extended hours during holiday season.

Cons

My journey through the dark side of Von Maur began -- as many others likely did -- with an outstanding customer experience.

When the department store chain first opened a location within driving distance of my small farming community, I was both fascinated and intrigued. I spent hours browsing -- and indulging -- in merchandise that probably cost more than my monthly truck payment. But I was sold... hook, line and sinker. I couldn't get enough.

Upon finding myself needing employment at a later date, I dashed off a hasty application, thinking to myself, "If I love shopping there so much, why wouldn't I love to work there?" After sending off the application, I was contacted almost immediately, set up for an interview, and hired, practically on the spot.

However... mirroring their beautiful complimentary gift-wrap, the idea of employment at Von Maur is packaged gorgeously, and topped off with an extravagant bow. But, once one opens the package, there is unfortunately nothing beautiful -- nor even positive -- to behold inside.

I truly wanted to love working for Von Maur. I bought into everything that I was fed during training... probably for a little longer than the average employee. (And I may have been a starry-eyed country kid, but I can tell when things aren't quite right, and I can tell when people aren't happy. And none of the co-workers I ever met seemed truly happy... in fact, most seemed kind of miserable.)

In an interesting twist, I was actually promoted to a Department Manager position about six weeks after I started. At the time, I couldn't have been more proud or pleased... but looking back, I wasn't ready. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had no retail management experience whatsoever. Basically, I was still just a dumb country kid with, apparently, a lot left to learn.

So, needless to say, there were a few things I didn't do quite right, initially, but it wasn't for lack of trying. Even as naive as I was -- and I hate to say this -- but I never really had a lot of respect for upper management. I truly wanted to, mind you... because, I was raised to respect those above me. But... any time I would ask them a question regarding a policy, or whatnot, that I was unclear about... they'd just look at you like they were a deer in the headlights, and tell me that "That's a great question, I'll look into it." And then I'd never hear a single thing about it again. Ever.

I think, though, that the final straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, was when I had to ask for a couple days off when my grandfather passed away... and I was told, "We can give you bereavement, but... you don't really look that sad." Yes... that's an exact quote. From the store manager. Verbatim.

I wouldn't recommend working here... I'm glad that I left with at least a little of my soul intact.

Not worth wasting my time here, really...

Great Pay, Horrible People, Ridiculous Policies.

Former Employee - Fragrance in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Fragrance in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Von Maur full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The money is pretty good, especially around holidays since its pretty much commission in most departments.

Cons

Horrible management, Ridiculous dress code, rude associates. Lots of turn over!

Management is the biggest problem! How do you not realize management is horrible to the staff when the turn over rate is HUGE???

We are not "family".

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Von Maur full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This being my first experience in retail, I can only compare it to what I've heard of other retailers and what my own expectations were. The merchandise and sales are great. I have shopped at this store with my family since I was a little girl. I always loved the piano player in the middle of the store as well as it being an area for those not shopping to sit. The interest free credit card,free shipping,and free gift wrap are nice oerks as well. For an entry level position,the pay is not bad. A typical pay rate for a sales associate is $10/hour plus 1% commission. Good benefits,also.

Cons

Where to begin! Upper management communication is lacking in a big way. The inconsistencies with rules and decisions takes a toll on you. Security system is not up to par,in my opinion. I did not feel safe half or more of the time I was working there. There is TOO much pressure put on employees to keep theft from happening. Von Maur does not take enough pride in their merchandise; if they did they'd get a better security system. I felt very undervalued as an employee. Yes,I understand it's retail,but I do have a life,and there was no balance between my personal and professional life. I was questioned many times as to the validity of my health issues. The way the managers approached any illness I may have had, they were insensitive and sometimes downright rude in their responses/reactions. They were always understaffed,which led to associates covering in other departments on a constant basis. I hated this because if I was not familiar with a particular area,I could not offer the customers the kind of service that they deserved,and I looked like an incompetent idiot. But,really,the real incompetent idiots hang out in upper management. The dress code is outdated and stuffy. I worked in the women's contemporary department,but you would never know it by the way I dressed. Why buy designer jeans from someone in pantyhose who virtually has no idea what kind of wear and tear the product has that they're selling?! We,as sales associates,and DM's, also had to unbox stock in our nice work clothes. We were also discouraged to try to make friends at work. Sorry,but I'm not from here,and if my entire life is working at your bogus place of employment,where else am I really going to get to know anyone? This is not the "family" environment that you talked about in my interviews.

Those exit interviews you do...maybe it's time you notice the consistency in certain areas with which many of your employees were dissatisfied.

Von Maur Photos