Von Maur Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
2.2

Von Maur President James D. von Maur
James D. von Maur

Pros
  • Great pay for a retail job; all holidays off; time and a half on Sundays (in 39 reviews)

• Ttime and half on Sunday and no crazy holiday hours (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Some folks consider the dress code to be a con, though it never bothered me (in 43 reviews)

• The lack of diversity within this company's upper management is amazing (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Set Up For Failure

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Von Maur full-time for more than a year

Pros

-One weekend off a month guaranteed
    -Time and a half pay on Sundays
    -Clean/Pleasant work environment
    -Other associates are like family
    -Wonderful merchandise to work with
    -Hour long lunch breaks
    -Great customers
    -1% commission based on sales
    -Little perks like gratis for contests
    -20% employee discount on all merchandise including mark-downs
    -Decent insurance packages after 90 days of employment

Cons

-Completely outdated and archaic dress code, especially for women. For a high-end 'fashionable' store, their dress code is about 60 years too late.
    -Long shifts. Usually 9 hours. Sure, you get an hour for lunch, but nine hours is a lot for someone to be on their feet, especially when uncomfortable dress shoes are a requirement.
    -"Not a minute late" clock in policy. EVERY other company I have worked for at least allows a 5 minute window before they mark someone tardy. Here, if you are just a minute late they mark it down. 12 of those in a year and you are written up.
    -Not able to ask off on weekends. If you need a certain weekend off you have to organize within your department and see if you can get the time off. Otherwise you are out of luck.
    -Turn-around shifts. At least 1-2 times a week you will have to work a 12-9 (9:30 by the time you leave) shift and then turn around to work again at 7am. Stinks for those who have to drive 30+ minutes to get home.

-Upper management is a joke, and that is putting it lightly. I read in someone else's comment that is was like working for the mean girl cheerleaders that picked on everyone back in high school. I couldn't agree more. They are inexperienced, juvenile, idiots who have no business running a store. The majority of them care more about which color Tory Birch shoes they are wearing that day than the fact they are running the store into the ground. They pick and choose a handful of brown-nosers that they like and those are the select few that have a shot at any sort of promotions. The rest of us that sit quietly and do our job the right way every day get overlooked. God forbid you show more promise with this company than they do because they will literally find ways to make your life miserable until you give up and quit. I've seen it first hand several times. They are losing valuable employees every day because they feel threatened by anyone who could do their job better than they could (which is just about anyone with an elementary school diploma).

WAKE UP!
    It's time to get in touch with your employees as well as your consumers. They whole family run company thing was nice for awhile but this is 2014. You can't expect your employees to meet unrealistic sales goals when you don't even advertise your products.

Quit hiring your management teams from within. As nice as it is to have higher chance at a promotion because you work there, it is forcing immature, inexperienced people into positions they cannot handle and it is driving your stores into the ground and forcing wonderful employees to look elsewhere.

Drinking the kool aid

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager

I worked at Von Maur full-time for less than a year

Pros

The store is nice looking, customers were great overall, time and a half on Sundays, no black Friday weird hours.

Cons

Floor managers on up were gossipy, inexperienced, unrealistic, and didn't want to hear helpful suggestions. They tell you this is an amazing place and the advancement potential is amazing but after a few months you see who is advancing. Its the girls who aren't particularly good with customers or smart but are cute, can suck up, and are a size 2. I saw one girl get promoted 3 times in 2 months when her department numbers were terrible. And another have amazing numbers and way more experience in the same spot for years. Managers pull you in the office for gossip. They have unrealistic goal expectations and don't listen to helpful advice or ideas. The hours can suck too. I had to work split shifts and work up to 12 days in a row during gift with purchase. Also unloading truck in a skirt is ridiculous.

Hire people who can communicate and who can lead. Listen to advice and implement good suggestions. Start advertising because that's what businesses need to do. Biggest thing is shut down the gossip train and punish those who do gossip about others not the ones who are already getting hurt by the gossip. Also pay people more fairly not having one person making $10 an hour with another person with similar background and sales numbers making $15.. Yeah I have seen that..more than I'd like to say..and we should be able to talk about our salary without fear or being reprimanded.

A wolf in sheep's clothing

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Von Maur full-time for less than a year

Pros

Time and a half on Sunday
    Closed on holidays
    No extended holiday hours

Cons

It's all listed in my "advice to management"

This company is a joke! While opening the store the executive managers talked to us about promotion from within and opportunity for growth but they forgot to mention the "fine print." If you have experience in retail management from previous retailers that doesn't matter because this company comes up with its own rules that fits the person they want to promote, not who is more qualified. When a position opens up, they post it for the employees to see and tell you to come forward by a certain time and when you do come forward you are turned down and not even allowed to interview for the position. How are you turning me away and telling me I'm not ready for the position and you haven't even
    interviewed me? Do you know my work experience or educational background? So many of us come forward and are told you haven't been a DM with the company long enough, you need to be in a bigger department or you are too friendly with your fellow DM's and you need to separate yourself. I can take that feedback if you were being consistent with everyone and not a select few. All of us DM's started in September of last year at the same time so how does one DM get a promotion over the other when you are telling me I haven't been in my role long enough? The sad thing about this company is that you presented a company to all of us during the interview process as a great place to work with endless opportunities but it is far from it. A wolf in sheep's clothing is the best way to say it because behind that sweet talk lies favoritism, prejudice, ageism, and racism. I wish I would've known about this website prior to working for the company. The reviews about this company speaks volumes and I wish I would've done better research before joining this place.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay, but not worth it.

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Von Maur part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is very good for a retail position. With a higher-than-minimum wage base rate, plus commission, you can make quite a bit of money. Plus, there are "sales games," where if you reach certain goals you get incentives like money or perfume samples.

Cons

The upper-level managers do not care about their employees. Period. If things are amiss in a department or if there are problems with a customer, the managers go-to response is "I'll look into it." But it's all talk. They can be very stingy with time off (funerals, weddings, surgeries, etc). And if an employee is having problems meeting sales goals, they don't offer help. They are trained to pin the fault on the employees, who may be fired if sales are a continuous problem, This creates a very stressful environment, even for part-time employees. This place offers $50 - $100 for new employee referrals, but I would never take advantage of it because I wouldn't want to put any of my friends through this experience.

Great people - incredibly outdated company

I have been working at Von Maur full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a nice discount on everything, and Sundays are paid time and a half. Most major holidays, the store is closed, so people can spend time with their loved ones. The people there are super warm and welcoming, and it's easy to feel comfortable. Based off what I've seen, if you work hard, you can get promoted incredibly quick.

Cons

As with most retail, hours aren't great, and you can only take off one weekend a month. They value coverage, so there are times where there are too many people on the floor and not enough stuff to do. Management doesn't dictate, and I feel like they could be more straightforward. In my personal opinion, pay is low for what's supposed to be a higher-end department store; department managers barely get paid more than associates. Biggest gripe is definitely the fact that EVERYTHING about the store is outdated. Systems, policies, dress code, and just the overall look of the store all haven't changed in about 100 years.

Be more flexible. DMs need to learn how to actually manage employees and dictate duties.

Pleasant

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate  in  Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Bloomington, IL

I worked at Von Maur full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, good hours, good benefits

Cons

Pantyhose, skirts, long hours on feet

N/A

The Worst Company

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Wichita, KS

I worked at Von Maur full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is slightly better than other retailers. But this is not worth the hassle.

Cons

This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. Associates and Managers have no power over their own career. Von Maur virtually makes it impossible to transfer or grow. During my 2 year prison sentence, I came to find that Von Maur is horribly outdated, conservative and backwards and if you want a promotion you have to be precisely the same. The merchandise is absolutely horrendous, which makes one question the competency of the buying office. Relatively speaking Von Maur is in the stone age compared to their far superior competition. If you are seeking employment in retail because you love fashion, do not pick this company as it is a complete disappointment.

Decentralize the power and allow associates and managers to have more control.
    Allow more progressive thinking instead of being a slave to corporate.
    Listen to employee needs.
    Get a new buying team.

Good, but not great.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Von Maur full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment, beautiful store and great products, happy customers and employees. The dress code is not that bad, not sure why everyone is all upset about it. Overall a fun place to work.

Cons

Being in upper management, you are required to put your job first, above anything else including your family. Must be 100% flexible when it comes to your schedule, no questions asked. Work week consistently around 50 hours/week. Pay doesn't reflect how much time and effort is put into our jobs. Not much recognition for executives in the stores. We are there to make our employees happy and keep them motivated. Who does that for us? The store manager and regional director should provide more feedback, not just twice a year at review time. A lot of things we do go unnoticed, most managers feel this way...

It would be nice to hear a thank you every once in a while. Make us feel appreciated.

Archaic

I have been working at Von Maur full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overtime on Sundays. Closed on holidays.

Cons

Extremely poor communication. No internet access, not even to the stores own site. No email or other automation. Dress code for women is so outdated: no pants, no sleeveless shirts, no sandals or boots, must wear hosiery. Dress code in force even when doing inventory or other times when customers are not present. TESS system not flexible and poorly written. Must request days off 3 weeks in advance. No access to outside world when on the floor. Not allowed to drink water on floor. Unrealistic sales goals.

Must change old fashioned ideas about technology and dress code. Store is viewed as an old lady store. Advertising in new markets would be money well spent as no one has heard of this store unless they are from the mid-west. Von maur likes to think of itself as a "high-end" store that doesn't need to market itself. If they want to succeed in new markets such as the south they need to develop a marketing strategy. The brand isn't strong enough to draw the customers it will need to sustain itself.

Get your experience and run.

Current Employee - Buyer  in  Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Von Maur full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience for someone out of college who wants to be a buyer. 1-2 years as a buyer with Von Maur and you can go to any other buying office.

Cons

Horribly outdated. Clients laughed at us because we had to adhere to the strict dress code of panty hose, close toed shoes, and dresses or skirts.

Change.

Worked for Von Maur? Contribute to the Community!