Von Maur Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great job, great pay, awful management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Normal, IL

I worked at Von Maur

Pros

Great hourly pay, commission, monthly reviews, good discount, steady hours, good training program

Cons

AWFUL MANAGEMENT! It seemed like this store was being ran by a clique of high school aged, catty little girls. They expect their employees to basically be robots programmed to work for Von Maur and have no other outside life or commitments. Even if you're bed ridden with the flu, have a death in the family, or any other serious personal problem, they refuse to have any empathy and will write you up no matter what the situation is. Also, if you work in a department that isn't very busy, it gets INCREDIBLY boring. There is only so much straightening and organizing you can do, especially if your department is rarely shopped in. They also sometimes held very unrealistic hourly sales goals for associates. You can't schedule four people to work in the same department at the same time on a weekday and expect them to each sell $500 worth of merchandise in a hour. And if you don't meet your sales goal, you're written up for that as well, no matter how dead the store is.

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees are PEOPLE. If someone has been a great employee the entire time theyve worked there, you have no reason to be mad and snotty and passive aggressive if something serious comes up and they're incapable of working. Try to build a relationship with your employees instead of just treating them like your servants, and you'll gain much more respect and your turnaround rate will decrease dramatically.

slave

I worked at Von Maur

Pros

getting paid so you can pay your own bills

Cons

Everything. Dress code is extremely outdated. schedules are impossible and not predictable. If the clock-in machine rolls over to one past while you are clocking in to work or from after lunch, you are considered late. How stupid!

Advice to Management

They think their crap doesn't stink. They are snotty and don't listen to workers. They need to have a professional company do research to see what workers need and stop that really old, out-dated rules there. What's next, corporal punishment?

3. Brainwashing

I worked at Von Maur

Pros

Holidays off and in sales you get a small commission

Cons

Favoritism and backwards dress codes and no work life balance

Meh.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Von Maur part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good for retail. There were some fun memories/moments (it was a new store that had opened, so it was kinda cool getting to be a part of that.) Some of the other sales associates (in my department and other departments) became good friends of mine. The discount (20%) wasn't too bad, especially when items were on sale. Von Maur does have good sales, things can get mark downed pretty low. There is definitely room for growth. They love to promote from within.

Cons

Management can be a bit stuck up at times. My DM was nice, but had never had experience as a manager before and that definitely showed. I worked part-time since I'm in college still and have classes, but even on days (weekdays) that I could come in earlier in the day, they would still schedule me 5-9. And even on weekends I always got closing shifts. It made it difficult to meet all the outrageous goals you have to get (sales, charge card, and contact list goals) when they kept scheduling me to work shifts when the store was barely busy. There were many nights I worked where I seriously only helped one customer. The absent/tardy policy is a joke. If you clock in ONE minute late, it counts as a tardy. I sometimes felt like I was a Von Maur robot and if I happened to not meet my goal requirements, it would make me upset because I was really trying. It would be different if I didn't care, but I did. In the end however, it didn't matter.

Advice to Management

There are some people who will love working here and some people who will hate it. I didn't necessarily hate it, but I didn't love it either. If management would change/update a few things about their policies and be more understanding with their employees (sometimes things come up and you can't make it to work or can't make it on time) than I think they would on the right track.

Poor management, high-turnover, but good pay for part time

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Normal, IL

I have been working at Von Maur part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company values, time-and-a-half pay on Sundays, holidays off, good pay for part time

Cons

no structure, no leadership, high turnover, long hours with short breaks, you are on your own from day one.

Advice to Management

Be more readily available to the sales staff, treat the staff with more respect, assist the sales associates when necessary

Not worth the time

I worked at Von Maur

Pros

You get one weekend off a month. Paid holidays. Time and a half on Sunday's.

Cons

Managers like to spy on employees in camera room. Give expired food to employees for a "treat". Managers rarely ever on the floor. Employees hardly ever acknowledged for hard work. Unrealistic sale expectations for such a slow store.

8. Very Structured, Newest store in Oklahoma City. OK. Opened Oct.18 ,2014

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Structured, we joke and say "Theres no having Fun at Von Maur".... The insurance is very good. Sunday is time and a half. We keep mall hours. You get 1 weekend off every month. You only work 2 nights a week.

Cons

Unless you are a favorite you may not get moved up. Full time means 32-36 hours. never hit 40.

Sales person

I have been working at Von Maur

Pros

Not one thing I can even think of that is a pro or positive

Cons

Management incredibly rude, harassing and bullying in the hosiery dept Very unreasonable sales goals that No one can meet HR doesn't care, they are not interested in helping the employee one bit, not sure why they are even there, oh yes I do know, it's to protect the Company when their own management is bullying the employees. This place is such a joke, management disguises the warnings as really write ups for employees don't meet their sales goals in a dept where you can only sell $8 panty hose or a $6 pair of socks. Good God! Oh and they fire people for stupid reasons, and seriously they are better workers than Management itself.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, stop the harassing and bullying and start acting like an ethical company....most horrible place to work at in Nebraska

Please go back to wherever you came from! The worst company I've ever had the displeasure to work for!!!

Former Employee - Department Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Von Maur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Major Holidays off. Time and a half on Sundays.

Cons

Although you do not have to work most holidays, during Christmas and events you will be working 6 to 9 sometimes 12 days straight!. Management is too young or inexperienced and have no idea what they are doing, so rules change almost daily. Associates are leaving by the bus load but management still expects you to make the same numbers as if you are fully staffed. When you are off or on vacation, you are still some how supposed to keep your numbers up in your department. Management talks down and belittles the employees with threats and continuous harassment. Every day your are expected to call the same customers harassing them for sales. Customers will not answer their phones any longer or will demand for you to take them off of your call list.

Advice to Management

Grow up and learn from the Associates that have been in this business long before you were born. You are making the work environment a place that everyone dreads. You have wonderful Associates and it's not because of your Management it's because most are season veterans of this business and know what they are doing. You are in denial about your tacky merchandise and no advertising! You are not Nordstrom and you will never be. Pack up and go back to the Midwest! No one wants you here! Oh and we all know that you get a bonus Store Manager if WE make your credit goal! That's why now harassment for credits has been added to your list of demands!

This Place Is Not For Everyone!!!

Former Employee - Counter Manager in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Counter Manager in Wichita, KS

I worked at Von Maur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No crazy holiday hours, decent base pay, decent benefits, commission.

Cons

Very micro-managed. SM can be very unprofessional. Corporate disconnect with what's going on with employees in their stores. Yelling at and threatening hard working employees in order to get things done the way you want them is NEVER necessary!! Happy employees equal productive employees and vice versa. TESS schedule system is a mess! No flexibility whatsoever. Employees are not productive when they're working 8 and 9 days in a row.

Advice to Management

Be more aware of what's going on in your stores. Please fix TESS. You lose so many good employees because of scheduling system. Don't hold DMs and Counter Managers responsible for things they cannot control. We do not get to hire our staff our set schedules yet we're accountable for lazy employees who refuse to contribute and lack of coverage due to bad scheduling.

RSS Feed </> Embed