Vonage

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Vonage – “Vonage office”

Vonage CEO and Director Marc Lefar

Marc Lefar

Pros
  • Free lunch, good cafe, nice gym, fun special events(in 5 reviews)

• Great pay, good people overall, nice tablet, upper management very good(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little room for advancement or career growth(in 5 reviews)

• The call center is located here and it can attract a young less experienced crowd(in 7 reviews)

Revolutionary company challenging the status quo

Guru (Former Employee) Holmdel, NJ

ProsEnergizing place to work, truly fulfilling mission of brining affordable phone service to the masses. Great start-up culture per-IPOD

ConsBelieved it's own hype. Fell behind competitively after IPOD, lost innovative edge after original leadership left.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget why you're different in the market or lose sight of what your unique advantages are over competition.

Horrible

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) Holmdel, NJ

ProsHad Benefits
    Food was pretty good
    Exercise room was also pretty good

ConsTime was so tightly monitored you needed manager permission to go to the bathroom
    Time kept getting more and more tightly controlled
    Constant coaching for all of your supposed faults yet management never got called on theirs

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees like they are mindless, if you treat people with respect they will reciprocate

No market growth and not self-aware enough to improve

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Holmdel, NJ

Pros- Nice campus and facilities
    - Most people try to be nice

Cons- The technology and services are antiquated and basic
    - Corporate culture is highly political and based on "getting along" rather than results
    - There's a lot of residual AT&T and other "big company" employees who bring a "dinosaur" mentality to everything - especially those with NO telecom background
    - Changes are at glacial speed; all processes require political correctness and consensus of even irrelevant parties, stand-alone decisions are punished
    - Has an unrealistic view of itself as bigger, more savvy and "cutting edge" than they are
    - High tolerance for incompetence from those "tenured" - the Peter Principle at it's finest

Advice to Senior ManagementRemind yourselves that you are a telecom, and take a look at what success in the industry looks like; agile, aggressive, and with deep technical skills. Finely tuned back-office operations are important, but NOT what makes customers whip out their credit cards to sign up. You know you've plateaued, and you know you need to change but you can't have "Agents of Change" be or act like those that got you stuck in the first place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty boring and not employee centered

Account Manager (Former Employee) Holmdel, NJ

Pros- Great Gym
    -Employee incentive

Cons- Management looks down at call center employees
    - No room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage leadership and promote from within instead of external

Caveat Emptor if you are in the job market

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Holmdel, NJ

ProsGood campus, cafeteria with $100 a month food credit, fitness center, idyllic town for business

ConsAt least four rounds of layoffs since 2003, mutliple department closings, downsizing happening all the time, very little loyalty to long time employees, silos

Advice to Senior Managementcut upper management team salaries, everyone doesnt have to be a VP or manager or something. Ad campaigns really gone downhill since 2003.

Advance Operations Technician I

Advance Operations Technician I (Current Employee) Holmdel, NJ

ProsGreat environment to work and great career growth

Consnone for me none for me none for me

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on growth

Great Company. A lot of potential for the organization and individual employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Holmdel, NJ

ProsInteresting work. Constant innovation. Community-minded organization. Opportunity to learn and grow, with the freedom to be creative. Flexibility to enhance work-life balance.

ConsThings move at light speed. Sometimes it's hard to keep up. Multiple priorities and demands that don't always come with the resources for proper execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinued innovation and support for community engagent.

no job security

Customer Service (Former Employee) Holmdel, NJ

Prosmonthly visa card for food in there facility

Consnot sure if will have a job.can't count on retiring with company

Advice to Senior Managementshow that you can be counted on

Feels like a sinking ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Holmdel, NJ

ProsBenefits, meal card, co-workers and environment. If you like to keep busy, you'll keep moving and won't find to many dull moments. Decent amount of time off provided, mgrs understand of personal needs.

ConsMinimal opportunity to grow career, once you reach a certain point you begin to feel as though your on the radar. Seems more faces disappear, not much backfill. Seems to be way of keeping costs down is by slashing heads. Leaves a feel of uncertainty in the air. No tuition reimbursement. Mgmt doesn't provide much to invest in their staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementLosing good talent, just letting it walk out the door. Business politics are becoming transparent, rebuild faith and trust. It's beginning to feel as though Vonages plan is to sell off, not invest in a future.

Little incentive to stay

Software Engineer II (Former Employee) Holmdel, NJ

ProsFood benfit: $100 a month for lunch

ConsOverworked, very strict with hours

Worked for Vonage? Contribute to the Community!