Vonage

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Vonage – “Vonage office”

Vonage CEO and Director Marc Lefar

Marc Lefar

Pros:
  • "The free lunches we get on Friday is a great bonus compared to a lot of other companies out there"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Good work environment, good mix of technology, nice people"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "The call center is located here and it can attract a young less experienced crowd"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Very little room for advancement or career growth"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Micro-Management at Every Level

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Vonage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is making a lot of money and they don't share it with their employees. However, they do have a great cafeteria.

ConsThe whole structure is not conducive for advancement or any contributions from junior, middle, or even senior staff. They are led purely by the dollar and everything is controlled by just a few C-Level people. No one else really adds anything in the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean-up your HR process and let more staff actually play a role in where the company is going. Don't focus so much on profits for shareholders focus on innovation for the future of your company.

Run as fast as you can..

I worked at Vonage full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFree lunch, good cafe, nice gym, fun special events

ConsHorrible salaries, no work/life balance, demoralizing managers, some of the things that went on here are illegal in regards to how employees are treated, women are rarely promoted, many unprofessional people, the absolute worst place I ever worked.

Call Center Customer Service

Bilingual Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)
Durango, Durango (Mexico)

I worked at Vonage full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you are looking for a job, it is sure they will hire you

ConsIt was a call center in Mexico, so the pay was really badless than 6.00 USD per hour

RUN!!! Huge mistake taking a job here!

I worked at Vonage full-time for less than a year

ProsOther than a very select few people, there is not a single pro I can give you to ever work here. Do yourself a favor and just don't apply or accept an offer here!

ConsThis is the most unprofessional, disrespectful joke of a company I have ever worked for! I decided to leave within a month of being there and eventually left without another job lined up after less than 1 year there. There is no management, leadership and the concern is more with who to blame and doing the same things over and over with no results then the want for progress or success.

I gave more than 2 weeks notice and agreed to staying a couple weeks longer after being asked by 1 of the very few people there I respect. I wanted to leave knowing I was professional until the end and left delivering more than any other person on my team including my boss.

I was recently offered a new job and after multiple attempts by my new company to verify my employment they contacted me for help. After multiple attempts myself and eventually a phone conversation with my old HR rep, who agreed to get it done by the next day....you guessed it...still nothing! Thank goodness I keep my own records and was able to provide the verification myself. However by this time I missed my scheduled start date and was made to wait a month for the next orientation.

Not only are they unprofessional while you work there, they continue that practice even after you have left.

I wouldn't recommend anyone apply or work here!!

Horrible

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Vonage full-time

ProsHad Benefits
Food was pretty good
Exercise room was also pretty good

ConsTime was so tightly monitored you needed manager permission to go to the bathroom
Time kept getting more and more tightly controlled
Constant coaching for all of your supposed faults yet management never got called on theirs

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees like they are mindless, if you treat people with respect they will reciprocate

A company run on wishful thinking

I worked at Vonage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA cafe inside the building. Pay is decent.

ConsLong term success at Vonage requires learning how to blame someone else for your problems. This is mostly done through lying and intimidation. The longer you stay there, the more you realize that your time will eventually run out, as someone else will eventually do you in. All decision-making appears to be based on wishful thinking; hope overrides fact. When projects fail, the failure is often redefined as success, ensuring that those in charge continue to be covered in glory.

Advice to Senior ManagementJettison all middle management; establish control over IT contractors. Upper management appear to be decent business people but are technically clueless, so they cannot tell when middle management misleads, which is often.

Sad unethical company with terrible management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Vonage full-time for more than a year

Prosnice location and facility. decent benefits

Consexecutives from the top down are unethical and run the business in that way

NEVER AGAIN!

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vonage

Prosfree food, clean toilets, plenty of parking and friendly staff.

ConsIt’s beautiful on the outside and smells like dirty laundry inside. You have to work as a poly-lingual therapist to succeed at Vonage, if you sign up for any kind of phone-support position. The place is a huge revolving door. There is no real HR. They measure employee performance by analyzing the fake surveys they receive from their customers. The management gets paid to act like they care. THEY DO NOT DRUG TEST. Great clean toilets and they hand you 5$ for lunch. Sticking your head in the wall for $14.99 plus tax sounds good at Vonage.

Advice to Senior ManagementLEARN HOW TO MANAGE AND DEVELOP SOFTWARE THAT WORKS. ENGLISH IS A BIG PLUS.

Think twice about working here.

Software Developer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vonage

ProsThe salary has been steady, and they give decent bonuses.

ConsNo appreciation for work done.
No communication or input on software development deadlines.
Very little advancement based on technical skill.
If you're the kind of person who sends emails to show you're working instead of cutting code, this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership at the director and technical manager level needs a serious overhaul.

Run and don't look back ...

I worked at Vonage

ProsI did get a paycheck and was able to eat and keep a roof over my head at the same time. I was very glad to have a job in these economic times.

ConsVonage is just a very bad environment to work within, PERIOD. The company breeds negativity and complacency. There is no professional track for growth. Management doesn't know up from down. Agents are the backbone of the business, but they ALWAYS get the short end of the stick. Not a good place to work, even on a part-time basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people hired with authority to make change, should also have a double dose of integrity.

Worked for Vonage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vonage reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vonage CEO Marc Lefar. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by Vonage employees.