Vonage Reviews

Updated October 7, 2014
Updated October 7, 2014

Vonage CEO and Director Marc Lefar
Marc Lefar

Pros
  • Great pay, good people overall, nice tablet, upper management very good (in 5 reviews)

• Free lunch, good cafe, nice gym, fun special events (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little room for advancement or career growth (in 5 reviews)

• Middle management doesn't tells upper management the truth about the business (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience has been pleasant

I have been working at Vonage full-time

Pros

You can move around in the company within diffrent departments

Cons

the salary isnt great at all the company is below average with pay rate

Vonage Management needs a refresh

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Holmdel, NJ
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Holmdel, NJ

I worked at Vonage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

$100 Cafe card for food in the Expensive Aramark Cafe / Two week long service bonus / 10 Years you get the latest and greatest IPAD/ On Site Fitness Center complete with Lockers/Showers / Building is very comfortable.

Cons

You have to earn your days, if your in care they charge the days you call out sick unexcused even if you bring a doctors note in - If you don't have enough days in the bucket, your not paid, you need to be there 5 years to accumulate a decent amount of days. Care Management is the worse, they bully everyone for FCR and then when you don't make it, your the first one fired - Stay away from AOS you will be glad you did. The "Network" Side of the house is much better and the managers actually do care not like in AOS. There was an employee survey they used to do, but we all think that it showed Management how unhappy people are and they did not do in 2014 and have no intention to do so.

Replace all Management with people that care and are family oriented and will give time off. Change the Sick policy and allow 10 sick days per year without using your FDO balances - If someone is sick they should not have to choose between working and being terminated and Doctors notes are excused, not unexcused absences. Allow for more personal growth, The Whistle-blower / Safe Workplace is a fraud, if you report your supervisor or Manager, you loose your job even when they say "We do not retaliate against any employee" - stop the lies, fix the issues, I know Marc Lefar is leaving but maybe the new CEO needs to go on "Undercover Boss" and see what really goes on!!

Get out while you can.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ

I worked at Vonage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My early years were great, where it was definitely an environment of fun and team.
    Most of the people are great and fun to work with.
    They sometimes provide activities & events to lift morale.
    Decent benefits and vacation days.
    Community Volunteer program.
    Onsite Cafeteria w/$100 monthly meal allowance (although, you will grow tired of the food very quickly because it's the same menu every month)

Cons

If you are promoted from within, you will be grossly underpaid. HR will acknowledge that you are underpaid, but then never do anything to correct your paycheck. Positions aren't given to the best candidates, instead promotions are handled politically.

Lack of communication across the company, especially to the Care Organization when products are being launched, which often lead to poor rushed roll outs where most individuals are not prepared because most information is missing up until a few days before roll out.

The company claims to take employee feedback, but I couldn't tell you the last time I saw an employee suggestion that was acted upon. There's an annual "Great Place to Work" Survey, which most people are told how to answer.

Management does not always appear to support the worker or their growth. You will be given a yearly goal to improve your skills, however when you present your manager with options, they are often declined because of budgetary reason and are instead told to just read articles on the internet

The only way the company is able to make money is to consistently raise prices on existing customers. Poor marketing department that doesn't know how to attract new customers, which is causing tenured customers to leave due to raising rates. It's like they don't understand how business works.

A LOT of layoffs recently, and the process by which people are laid off appears backwards. Many of the harder workers with strong work ethics are laid off, while the people whose job function you couldn't explain no matter how hard you try because it's a made-up role or people who truly are poor performers are kept on board. When they let you go, they tell you that you no longer match the job description, but when you ask for the new job description, it's what you are currently doing.

Take a good look at the entire organization - do you really have the right people in the right roles? (The answer is No)

Re-evaluate your marketing program and learn how your consumers really utilize phone service in this day-and-age.

If you are going to do layoffs, lay off the correct people - there are plenty of people there who don't bring value to the organization.

good pay, manager too demanding

Former Employee - Sales Representative in El Cajon, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in El Cajon, CA

I worked at Vonage part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay great coworkers great environment

Cons

selling home phones is very hard due to everyone having cell phones, manager only cares about sales instead of employees

n/a

Average business in declining industry

I have been working at Vonage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people at Vonage are very easy to get along with. People "in the trenches" generally work together well and want to do the right thing. The company is fairly generous with time off and other such fringe benefits.

Cons

The higher level direction of the company is very erratic. It tries to do everything at once by constantly shifting focus between multiple concurrent priorities. This contributes to burn out for the employees stuck doing the work.

Account Manager

Former Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Vonage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It has a very family like culture. Co-workers were great. The benefits are also really good.

Cons

Management needs a lot of training. They only promoted their friends. If you don't like to be micromanaged I would highly not recommend working here.

Less micro-management, bring people from the outside to do internal promotions.

Satisfying experience

Current Employee - Advanced Operations Support in Holmdel, NJ
    Current Employee - Advanced Operations Support in Holmdel, NJ

I have been working at Vonage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pace is workable for all of us

Cons

Has been laying off lately

Management is currently adjusting for the future. It is mostly approved by all of us.

A 21st Century company that tries to reward it's Employees.

Former Employee - On-boarding Agent in Holmdel, NJ
    Former Employee - On-boarding Agent in Holmdel, NJ

I worked at Vonage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training for tech agents and ample opportunity for promotion if you want to study and work hard. Good work environment and great food. Pay is good and can be great if you move up. Overall a pleasant environment if you just want a job in the communication industry.

Cons

Some politics to say the least. Some real idiots manage to get supervisory positions (again, some politics). Draconian rules about attendance, maybe that has changed since I left. I worked there for almost 4 years and was released without a care because of one mishap with a customer who was abusing me on the phone (I hung up, a big no, no).

Less meetings about BS and more pay and flexibility for the employees This was the direction the company was going in when I first arrived (just before there was a major management and employee shake-up).

Supervisor review.

I worked at Vonage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Over all it was a good company to work for.

Cons

Certain supervisors should not be working there, that is the only bad reason to not work there.
    They have no people skills, but for some reason upper management protects them.

Get rid of supervisors that don't know the business or how to treat your employees.

Okay If You Need Extra Cash

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Snellville, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Snellville, GA

I have been working at Vonage part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Paid weekly
    - Builds confidence, since you're job is to walk up to random people and ask if they want to buy our product.

Cons

The hours are long, you work alone -- so everything falls back on you, and not much help from management, and I work in a store that has barely any foot traffic and will probably close down within the next two years.

Improve the product so that we can compete better with our competitors, and help your sales people get sales.

Vonage Photos