Vons

Updated October 27, 2014
2.8

Vons Interim President Gary Rocheleau
Gary Rocheleau

Pros
  • Can help develop time management and customer service skills (in 13 reviews)

• It is a great place to work if you need a flexible schedule when your attending school (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • You MUST pay your union dues or else get fired (in 12 reviews)

• This causes poor customer service because everyone is too busy (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Work and decent wages if you're willing to stay with them for years.

Current Employee - Food Clerk in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Food Clerk in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Vons part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent wages after a long time of putting in hours. Years it takes to actually make real money. On the job training and no degree needed.

Cons

People are the challenges. People you work with as well as the people you have as customers. Put your customer service to the test. Also, no way to really move up, past the store. Managers have no power, district managers don't care, and hell even the Vice president has come in multiple times and no one care to give you opportunity.

Get some power to be able to promote those you feel are the best and can do better.

Frustrating nightmare

Current Employee - Clerk in El Cajon, CA
    Current Employee - Clerk in El Cajon, CA

I have been working at Vons part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you were hired under the old contract, you have good union benefits, decent pay. Depending on what area you work in, most customers are respectful and know how to behave in public. Fortunate to have a few co-workers who still have a work ethic, a sense of team work and care about good service.

Cons

Training: trial by fire. Watching a video is not training. Schedule changes every week, shifts are back to back.
    Management's top priorities are the bottom-line numbers and appearances. Does not back up her people.
    Most employees do the minimum, pass the buck. Indifference. Serious lack of work ethics. Being chronically understaffed affects morale and service. Lots of lip service. No serious investment in hiring special needs people. It looks good. More than anything, you're doing damage control.

Support the people who help you earn your bonus.

Co-workers work hard, but everyone is underpaid.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Vons part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co workers are great! I like the atmosphere in most of the stores. Benefits are horrible, very expensive, and no 401K match, what you put in is what you get. You can move up if you prove yourself, but raises, even for exceptional workers, are woefully small and demeaning.

Cons

There is never enough time and/ or money to have enough staff to cover all the tasks that get done. This causes poor customer service because everyone is too busy. Lots of Lots of double checks and checklists, it seems you are not trusted to think and get your job done without being checked on and verified. Not a lot of trust from upper upper management. Everyone is nervous about what the upcoming merger with Albertsons will bring. Some auxiliary divisions have already been axed, who is next?

You hired good people, now get out of the way and let them do their job without looking over their shoulder and micromanaging them all the time.

What a joke

Current Employee - Clerk in Encinitas, CA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Encinitas, CA

I have been working at Vons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Locked in hours weekly
    union support and the union rep

Cons

Bervery the boss. She is meaner than the devil.
    horrible training
    dirty
    not flexible
    plays favorites
    lies
    weekly dues
    the initiating fee

Understand school is important as well as family. Have a heart. We are not slaves. We are people!

Great Company!

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Vons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing. Too amazing. Way too amazing.

Cons

Amazing, Just Simply Amazing. Great

Keep being amazing. Please keep being amazing.

My only experience with huge grocery stores as an employee.

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Escondido, CA

I worked at Vons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The medical benefits, although, available only through Union membership, are enticing because they're cheap. Vons contributes a lot.

Cons

Working at Vons caused me to use the medical benefits more than I think I would have: stress, repetitive motion, constant standing and lifting 50 pounds at time.

Compassion

Like a family

Former Employee - Jamba Juice Clerk in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Jamba Juice Clerk in San Diego, CA

I worked at Vons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved working with the people. If I had a problem I simply talked to my manager and they did everything they could to help me out.

Cons

i didnt stay as long as i wanted to.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA

I worked at Vons part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is very easy to get promoted in your store. If you work at a busy location, shifts go by incredibly fast due to the amount of work there is to do. You can get overtime after 9 hours. You are guaranteed 16 hours a week minimum.

Cons

Management does NOT care and WILL overwork you for little pay. Customers are almost as rude as careless management. You are forced to join a union and pay monthly dues. My boss literally did not let you call in sick, fired you if you did. Schedules are very inconsistent, not a good job if you are a student because they will schedule you when they want to regardless of your availability.

Listen to your employee's needs... be more empathetic. Why have a "request box" policy if you are going to schedule employees the days they need off anyway?

Positive team to work with.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Vista, CA

I worked at Vons part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is difficult for me to say anything good about this company right now because I really needed the unemployment benefits to help me continue with succeeding with basic living expences. When I was working with VONS I feel that this company would not turn there back on me; they had opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

While taking steps to move up in the company; they would change there minds & give the position to someone older. I am not joking the store that I got transferred to would do this too any employee my age. I got over worked and left with all the responsibilities just during rush hours while someone who they desided needed more help financially left the department. It was not humanly possible to run a deli of 100 customers alone. Yet I did it time and time again. CONFLICT OF INTEREST

Unemployment Benefits are a nessity

Been working there for 8 years

Current Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Vons part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay once you max out, which took me 5 1/2 years woking as many hours as I was allowed.

Cons

Even though they state it's a flexible job and they will work with your requests for time off, some managers will and some won't. That is unacceptable to me because I do have a life beyond Vons, also discouraging after working there for so long.

Making your employees happy will in turn equip them with the best tools to perform their job. A miserable/sleep deprived employee is hardly a smiling, good customer service giving one.

Vons Photos