Voortman Cookies Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

Harry Voortman

Business ownership, supplying quality products to your local supermarkets with affordable operating cost.

Current Employee - Independent Distributor  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are the business owner. You must be a self-starter because your income is determined on how hard you want to work. Building relationships in your accounts will open opportunities for displaying your merchandise in high traffic areas creating more sales and a higher income. Voortman makes the headquarter calls, gets the items authorized and sets up all the promotions, you just follow the monthly planner and create extra sales in your geographic area.

Cons

There are some challenges associated with business ownership; you wear a lot of hats, salesman, delivery driver, stocker, inventory control, purchasing, and problem solver. When you do all that you must have great time skills to accomplish everything, and unless you have someone to run your business for you it’s hard to get away for more than a few days in a row.

It would be nice if the company had a relief person, that knew how to run a route, in each region. That person would be very helpful to all distributors who just wanted a little vacation once in a while and not worry about their business

Many better route choices for owner operators

Current Employee - Independent Distributor  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Voortman Cookies part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are a good route person, you can work at half effort and they will praise your sales increases and ability (my present situation). They have such poor route people that even at half effort I can beat most. Not bragging, just pointing out how low their standards are because they tend to not attract very good route people for the most part. I work no more then 20-25 hours a week as I do something else. Very good product.

Cons

Charge you for displays unlike any other route out there. Their meetings are hilarious. They claim to care about their Voortman family and say prayers at the meetings but they don't really care about you. Words are cheap. If they really cared and wanted to get good route people they would do something like pep. Farm does. Routes are bought and sold at different prices according to the area. So a area like South Carolina might be assigned a value of 15 times weekly sales while a area like New Jersey might be 30-40 times. Pep farm routes can be bought for just 10-15% down. When you are done you have something you can live with and obviously since the routes are worth real money you actually put effort into it, not like these part time Voortman routes. They cap everyone at 4 times! Then they would get full time route people who could really boost this company but it will never happen unfortunately. I will be out soon after building my route multiple times at half effort. It would have been interesting to know how much I could have got my route up to if they made it worthwhile.

Hire managers to replace you that have actual route experience that may fix your route mess. I hope someone in Canada someday realizes how much they are losing by most distributors not working full time or if they do work full time not real hard because there is no money to look forward to here. Put yourself in a distributors shoes. Please don't say the route is "affordable" like someone did to another post. Your best route people want to get into a route worth money so if they increase it they are well compensated. I can increase my route $3,000 (I have done that with part time effort by the way) at Voortman I can look forward to $12000 more then I paid. At pep farm or any other route co. I would be looking at $60,000-$150,000!! Where would you go? Would you stay here for 20-25 years and retire with $20,000? I can make more the I do at Voortman working a route for other companies with full benefits included and a 401k. I have nothing to look forward to here. It's too late for me but if you want good people and keep the few good ones you do have fix your system.

Agree with last few reviews

Current Employee - Route Sales  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Route Sales in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Voortman Cookies part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I agree having product delivered to you is great. Also they are really, really good cookies! I also agree I would rather see the cookies in the weekly flyers even at a higher price to help pay for the ad as I know I would sell more. For the most part the district managers do a good job helping you build sales although they are so overloaded they do not spend much time on your route to help grow it.

Cons

I have been here less then 5 years and half the distributors in my are have changed. Why? Because there is no future. With every other route distributor you talk with in your area they will be able to sell their routes for anywhere from 15-50 times weekly sales. Translation they will have $$$ which makes all of the route building worthwhile. Voortman distributors have 4 times weekly sales price to look forward to which means you will be poor!!! I work my route part time as I have a side real route business that I will be able to sell at going price. If Voortman route was a real business that I could selll at even 15 times I would be doing it full time and would sell at least 30-40% more the I do now. I will to put the time needed to grow the route to that point with the low price they want to keep the routes at.

Read the reviews on this and other sites and act on them. These are from people who care or they wouldn't take the time to fill out these forms. If you want to grow your business you need good people and those people expect to be compensated like other route distributors are!

Jul 15, 2014Representative

Thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion, and to show you care. We completely agree that we have really, really good cookies and we continue to look for new ways to efficiently work ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very unprofessional company to work for.

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - District Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Voortman Cookies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hard to think of any.

Cons

No brand support
    Distributors Gross less than 30K on average so a challenge to find top people.50% turnover in distributors nation wide.
    Distributors are charged back first... guilty until proven innocent.
    No element of trust .
    Upper management is clueless on how to grow their brand. They don't look at things from the sales side but from a manufacturing view.
    Upper management is criminally incompetent.
    Cookie cutter sales strategy ... all regions are the same. They don't take demographics into account at all.

See above in Cons section... reverse those trends!

Jul 15, 2014Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you feel this way about Voortman Cookies. Recently we launched a successful TV and social media campaign across the United States and Canada to increase ... More

Brand Support Needed

I worked at Voortman Cookies

Pros

Great products, leader in sugar free segment, good variety of flavors, good variety of forms, excellent packaging, room to grow.

Cons

The brands are not very well known and the company does not spend enough time, effort, or money on increasing recognition. Also, distributorships are capped at 5x and free market forces should be allowed. No support for stales and display fixture costs should be subsidized.

Jul 15, 2014Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. You summed up our products quite well: professional packaging, large variety, and great tasting healthier choice cookies. We understand that we have ... More

Best Job To Have

Current Employee - Independent Distributor  in  Anniston, AL
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Anniston, AL

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work/life balance. You get what you put into it. Very little investment to start. I took a route that wasn't doing very much and within a year turned it around easily and started making great money. I am my own boss and can take off when ever I want to do whatever I want. I have a great boss who is always asking how he can help me and always does. I can't say enough about how much I love this job and the freedom it allows me.

Cons

Not enough advertisement as of yet for a great brand. Need TV commercials. But I hear those are coming.

None. So far Upper management has been great and helpful at all levels.

Superior sugar free healthier choice products, packaging, and taste.

Current Employee - Distributor  in  Carolina Beach, NC
    Current Employee - Distributor in Carolina Beach, NC

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Grow your business at your own pace.Our Products are growing in demand, the market for Healthier choice items is expanding. Our regular cookies are competitive in quality and price.

Cons

Distributors with growth exceeding preexisting growth should be compensated with bonuses, or free company promotional products. We need greater exposure as one of the leading producers of healthier choice products in the country.

Please continue the effort to get our foot back in the door of the grocery chains we are not currently in.

good and bad

Current Employee - Distributor  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Distributor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

freedom to work as hard as you want

Cons

small company tough to compete with big guys

institute a bonus system for hard working distributers

No Support for your business.

Former Employee - Distributor
    Former Employee - Distributor

I worked at Voortman Cookies full-time

Pros

No one breathing down your neck on a daily basis. Low pressure.

Cons

No credit for stales. No base salary. Not competative enough on pricing.

Give the distributor more imput on pricing for his particular area. Give the distributor 50% stale support.

Buying a job with no future

Current Employee - Distributor
    Current Employee - Distributor

I have been working at Voortman Cookies

Pros

Set your own hours, sell more to earn more. Good cookies, 4 and8 week programs make it easy to pay for product.

Cons

They limit to 5 times your weekly sales MINUS commissions the amount you can sell your route for!!
    How can you work here until retirement when you will be lucky to get 15 or 20 thousand for your route? The management has a 401k but they want to ke you poor in retirement. This is why they cannot attract good route people. I wil be leaving them soon.

Advertise. Stop charging for displays. LET DISTRIBUTORS SELL ROUTES AT MARKET RATES!! You would attract top route people then and people would put more into a business that is potentially worth decent money. Your distributors that build your business and that you supposedly care about then stay with you a long time and retire with a decent amount for retirement. Anyway I will be another good distributor that has tripled my route in a short time that will be leaving to buy a real equity route.

Worked for Voortman Cookies? Contribute to the Community!