Vovici

Vovici – US – “…”

Not yet rated.

Dan Bodner

A good small company

Senior Sales Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsStart up style culture where you can have an impact. The culture promotes getting to know and going the extra mile for your clients. Real team feel to most departments.

ConsResource constrained. HR has strict rules about compensation and raises. Lacks defined roles and responsibilities for non-traditional items, this leads to items falling through the cracks and meetings simply to figure out who will own an item.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage a culture that promotes your all stars not one that hangs on them.

Always changing, hopefully for the better...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsLaid back atmosphere, business casual to just casual some days
    Good benefits, decent pay
    Great people
    Good product, getting even better (acquisition by Verint should improve product offerings)

ConsNo regular reviews or professional growth opportunities
    Communication internal and external not always all-inclusive and beneficial
    Long hours, expected to be on all the time
    Acquisition makes many uneasy of when the axe will fall

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with Verint to get a more professional corporate structure that benefits your employees.
    Offer ways to give back to the community.
    Offer more growth opportunities and training...and raises.

Growing Company with A Handful of Acknowledged Growing Pains

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsVovici is a great company to work for. It's growing, which means that there are many opportunities to build the skills you want or need to build in your career. There's a strong culture that centers around the idea of team and customers, but I'd say we're pretty diverse and run the scale from pessimist to optimist, introvert to extrovert, critic to champion with everyone in between. And what I like best is that although the culture is strong, you don't have to be a Kool-Aid drinker to make it here (which is good, because in the original "drinking Kool-Aid" story everyone who drank it died.) In my experience, diverse opinions are expressed and ultimately respected.

The best part about Vovici, hands-down, are the people who work here. I am always learning something I don't know, and it's impressive how there are people who are great across the company. (i.e. we don't have that one department that gets all the eye rolls...unless of course I'm in it and just don't know about it. In which case we do have just the one.) We're small enough that it's still pretty easy to build relationships across departments without having to make a herculean effort to do so.

Senior leadership has a long-term strategy which hasn't really changed in the 2 years our CEO has been in seat. Unlike other places where I've worked, we seem to make moves that actually align with that strategy. That makes it a lot easier to prioritize what's on my plate.

ConsA growing company has growing pains. We're in that adolescent period where a company recognizes it's too small for the ad-hoc HR processes and now needs to build formal ones. Performance management, compensation management, career development--these things are all manager-dependent, so quality and quantity varies. These areas were surfaced in our employee engagement survey and each has an executive owner. So are they issues? Yes. Are senior leaders working to address them? Also yes. I would like for it to be faster, but having worked around the HR space before I know that it's usually better to take the time to set up these processes right then to do them quick and dirty.

Growth also means the pace can be quite fast, and it's easy to take on extra responsibilities which many employees do--work-life balance can get pretty skewed, pretty quickly if you and your manager aren't careful.

The last thing Vovici needs to work on is internal communication--things move really quickly around here and we don't necessarily stop for a breather as a company to make sure we're all on the same page before we dive back in again. This isn't just downward communication--it's also upward and across. But this also is something senior leadership is actively working to fix. In short, like every other company I've worked for, Vovici has "cons." But unlike other places where I've worked, the issues aren't swept under the rug and senior leaders are working to address them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're a company that specializes in surveys and feedback, so professionally I find this question weird and redundant: "Uhh...keep doing the things I like and stop doing the things I dislike?" But then I read the description and thought "I should offer feedback to the leadership at Vovici." So I set up a one-on-one with the CEO to answer this question, because employees here can do things like that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Voice and Vision a top priority

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsVovici has welcomed a highly intelligent group of exceptional individuals who work hard and share a common sense of community. While some complain of the layout and "noise" in the new office, the comradarie and ability to interact with fellow members of the pride is well advanced in comparison to the old location. Managers support the development of their teams professionally and personally, and internal recognition is given frequently through email communications on an ever frequent basis. After working for a company who clearly only cared about their bottom line and whose employees were there one day and gone the next, Vovici is an amazing breath of fresh air.

ConsComplaints from a few employees who are out of touch with the reality of what working for a company with truly gutter-level morale can hamper the work that Vovici does to maintain one of their most highly-regarded core values - "No Name Jerseys"

Long hours, no raises in years, a CEO and VPs who feather their nests at the expense of the employees... what a company!

Manager (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsVovici has some of the hardest-working and brightest employees (at the Director level and below) I've ever had the pleasure to work with. They are the ONLY reason I keep coming to the gulag--if only someone would listen to them once in a while and perhaps not treat them like indentured servants.

ConsWhere to begin?

* There haven't been raises in years now, and this year performance reviews stopped being given because "when people get good reviews they expect to get raises" (this is a verbatim quote from a senior manager). And yet, there was plenty of money to buy a $50,000 outdoor sign for the new building we moved into just off the Dulles Toll Road.

* Speaking of the new building: In April 2011 Vovici moved into a new headquarters building in Herndon, ostensibly to save money on rent. Besides the $50,000 ego vanity exercise that adorns our new home, the vice-presidents and CEO also received nicer window offices than they had at the old building. The employees, meanwhile, were herded into a pair of grim cubicle farms that are encircled by the cozy VP quarters. Privacy and noise, which were already a problem at the old building, are much worse now, and employee morale has sunk to rock-bottom.

* Vovici has completely lost its way. The CEO speaks in platitudes about things like teamwork and community service without following through, and the product management team has completely lost sight of where the competition is going. Vovici was an industry leader three years ago--no more. Senior management keeps their clueless friends employed while worker bees with ideas and vision for the company are ignored or fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is addressed to the Board of Directors: Fire the CEO and the entire current management team (with the exception of the new CTO and the support VP, the only two veeps with any insight) and install leadership that actually has a defined vision for the future success of the company. Take care of your employees before it's too late, because your best and brightest are already planning their exits.

unrealistic expectations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

Prosgreat peers, good customer install base

Consno flexibility, expected to work 24/7

Advice to Senior Managementallow employees to have better work life balance

Strong Growth Company with Huge Upside

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsVovici is a growing company with a strong management team and good direction. Exciting new product, lots of focus in getting the right people and strong commitment to increasing customer satisfaction. Overall, this is a company on the move.

ConsIf you need a lot of direction day-to-day, this may not be the place for you. Lots of opportunity for those who can think independently.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the momentum from 2010 with new product and new team hires. Continue the focus on the customer and increasing satisfaction.

The people here Rock!

Great healthcare program
    Customer focused

ConsEducational/tuition assistance
    Hire more Rock Stars

Advice to Senior ManagementFun, hard-working, involving company culture. Keep up the great work!

The Beginning of a Fantastic Ride!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsCoolest Place to Work in Northern VA!
    Team Camaraderie
    Fun Culture
    Strong Communication
    Rapid Growth
    Creativity is Rewarded
    Health Club Membership to Sport & Health

ConsCurrent HQ Location is not great, but New Herndon HQ in March 2011 will solve that. If you join, leave your title at Door; they really do wear No-name Jerseys.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great culture and focus on hiring A Players. Continue to innovate the technology and consider acquisitions to accelerate the product footprint. Keep listening to your customers.

Used to be a good place to work.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsGood solutions. Good location. Good colleagues (not the managment team). Good customers.

ConsVery frequent change with little thought about long-term effects of change. Rarely asked by senior team "What do you think about...?". Top-most levels of management are not well acquainted with honesty.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew guy at the top: employees are the company's greatest asset. Look up from the bottom line once in awhile. Go find your guys and talk to them...better yet, listen to them.

Worked for Vovici? Contribute to the Community!