Vox Media Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
4.1

CEO

Great company and amazing people

Former Employee - Operations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I worked at Vox Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at Vox Media for 2 and a half years. My time there was very pleasant. I was in corporate/operations and loved everyone I interacted with. I was given autonomy to get stuff done and was thanked when my projects ended up going well and being completed satisfactorily. I could picture myself working there for many many years but I unfortunately outgrew my position.

Cons

Lack of support and growth opportunities but understandable from a startup perspective.

Consider moving people up the ladder instead of hiring from outside the company. Often you just hired someone to do something someone else was already doing successfully. Recognize the hard word people put in and listen when they need support. Management should also be willing to mentor a bit so others can learn areas they might not have as much experience in but areas that would be useful to their future careers.

Little investment in human capital

I worked at Vox Media full-time

Pros

Great people from a social perspective, relaxed atmosphere and dress code, casual (maybe too much), free seltzer/beer/soda/salty snacks/fruit/coffee.

Cons

Paltry bonuses for core staff, no annual raises or bonuses, an air of cronyism among senior mgmt, sparse promotions. Raises are denied in light of unanticipated, significantly increased workloads.

Instead of spending all funding on growing network so quickly, give employees their due. No 401K match? Unacceptable.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Vox Media full-time

Pros

Working on great websites that have lots of users who love them. Great collaboration across teams - product/engineering, editorial, and revenue. Innovative environment. Fun people.

Cons

Things can get hectic during crunch time, with lots of hours put in. But that is typical of a startup-style environment. Work/life balance is usually good and you usually only have to put in extra hours if you want to.

Great time, great people

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Vox Media as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very strong team atmosphere. Interns treated very well and as part of the overall larger team.

Cons

Can be a little bit difficult to break out of the intern group but over time everyone does become a bigger team.

Great Company

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Vox Media as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Cool people, everyone is friends with everyone. People hang out/go drinking all the time. Also the company is growing pretty quickly, so there is a very positive energy in the air

Cons

Their is a fair bit of drama, not sure if it's more or less than a normal company but since people know each other pretty personally sometimes it can get dramatic. Also they are very guarded about access to the site, and like to keep secrets/segment information.
    Also the pay is pretty poor.

Management Missing The Point

I have been working at Vox Media full-time

Pros

Great potential as a company, with a rapidly expanding portfolio of verticals and brands. Growing quickly, with lots more room to grow.

Cons

Management does not seem to connect with the employees, specifically on the sales side. They are unresponsive, and do not seem to understand the broken systems/processes in the lower levels of the company. Guarantees are often broken, or significantly delayed.

Sales Management is Young & Immature

I have been working at Vox Media

Pros

Great products, awesome sites and amazing technology.

Cons

Sales management is extremely young and that immaturity shows in the operations side of things. There is no sales training and the organization is allowing young managers to rule the roost without any real 360 review type aspects allowed or encouraged.

It is time to bring in more experience to nail sales.

Great media company with a bright future. Smart, hardworking leaders.

Former Employee - Production Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Vox Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great people at all levels
    -Continued growth. ex: development of Polygon
    -Killer new office in NYC
    -Hands on environment, everyone open to new ideas

Cons

-Sports world never sleeps, so long hours + weekends
    -As an intern, sometimes got left doing high school level work.

Keep it up.

Great Sales Organization

I have been working at Vox Media full-time

Pros

-Groundbreaking new properties that are re-writing the rules for engagement online and on mobile.
    -HTML 5 sites that are cleanly designed and gorgeous to engage with
    -Fantastic management who fundamentally know the limitations of the sites but also have such a passion for team work and winning together
    - Goals are reasonable and their expectations are attainable
    - Team attitude is awesome, sales team is great

Cons

- Need more traffic to all sites

Overall, SB Nation appears to be company on the rise and has been a pleasure to work for.

Current Employee - Newsdesk Writer
    Current Employee - Newsdesk Writer

I have been working at Vox Media

Pros

The newsdesk position offers flexible hours and an opportunity to supplement income while keeping up to date on current sports. You can work from home, you make a decent wage, and you can typically get off work as needed without hurting your ability to perform at a high level.

Cons

There is not enough hours to work their full-time, so the opportunities to move up are very limited. Eventually, when the network is generating more income, it will probably have more room for advancement, but for now, it's mostly just part-time income positions. Another con is that the mid-level management might be overburdened, what with network growing so rapidly. The net result is that changes and help from anyone two steps up can sometimes be slow.

Offer more full-time positions. The first generation of writers are nearing a full year of writing, and turnover is inevitable as many of them are college students and will be seeking full-time employment soon.