Vox Mobile Reviews

Updated February 4, 2015
16 reviews filtered by
2.7
Kris Snyder

1. Enjoyable and rewarding place to work.

I have been working at Vox Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees who make up the company are excellent. Everyone is easy to get along with and contribute to the relaxed environment in which we work in. As a lower level employee, I have been treated to many events on the company's tab which is a really nice perk. I feel like I have a chance to move up within the company and I have seen multiple lower level employees move up within the company in a relatively short amount of time.

Cons

As the company continues to grow, there should be more "concrete" policies with in the company. There is a degree of uncertainty when certain policies are brought up with no clear cut answer to them that should be addressed.

Advice to Management

Try to acknowledge all employees, not just other management, this will make you more approachable. A simple "Hi, how are you?' goes a long way for lower level employees.

Nov 19, 2014Director of Demand Generation

Thank you for writing a review of Vox Mobile! As our company continues to grow so too will the way we operate. We’re evolving at an accelerated rate, as such, a certain level of pain is to be ... More

Great place to work if you're not in tech

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Independence, OH

I worked at Vox Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid PTO Policy

Easy entry level "IT" experience.

Great people/personalities to work with.

Work from home options.

Lots of overtime opportunities

Cons

The "support center" that they run is actually more of a call center. Expect anywhere from 20-30 calls a day with 15 seconds of "follow up" time in between each call. There are "non call statuses" you can use for more follow up time, but expect an IM from a member of the leadership team within the first 3 minutes.

Ineffective on-boarding and documentation processes. When new customers are brought on key information is often missing, common areas of failure are custom application documentation and e-mail configuration settings. When this happens, the stress is felt most by the tech team.

Vox Mobile is a great place to work at as long as you're not on the technical support team. Tech is the only group that is expected and required to work the entirety of their shift.

Promotions within the tech team.

During my multiple years of employment with Vox, 5 people made it out of the technical support team over to a position that didn't require having a phone glued to your ear. Getting out of the tech team is hard, this due largely to the fact that the team is very understaffed. When people are promoted to positions outside of tech they are frequently asked to come back and "help with the phones". Promotions within the tech team (i.e Tier 1 to Tier 2) are paper titles, compensation is generally just 1$ more an hour and your day to day work does not change.

Personal growth is not encouraged, I say this because there is no emphasis on obtaining certifications or advancing technical skill sets. There are no certification programs or reimbursements at Vox.

Many members on the technical support team leave at their first chance, frequently for contract jobs.

Compensation is very below industry average.

Quality of the technical support team has declined steadily since 2012, they are beginning to replaces "techs" with customer service.

Advice to Management

Implement some actual hiring standards/requirements, the quality of people you are now bringing in is dragging the team down by creating more work for your good techs and stressing them out. Find and staff a legitimate recruiter, consider paying your core tech team members just a few dollars more, it will go a long way.

Ditch utilization, its an inflatable number that doesn't reflect the work actually done by the team, just how much time they waste in tickets, the entire team knows how to make their numbers. All you've done is create a culture where all a tech cares about is whether their numbers look good or bad; not the actual quality of work they do. This why you get so many calls because people are frequently calling back for something that wasn't fixed right the first time.

Remember when you said "We are a help desk, not a call center:" ? You've turned your help desk into a call center. Try to get some people off the phones once a week, maybe they will enjoy their jobs just a bit more. Asking someone what they are doing every 30 seconds when they aren't on a call is very stressful and makes them believe all you do is stare at a call board.

Promote from within your technical support team, many of these people actually as you guys like to say "Breathe Mobility". They also have a solid understanding of what you do, how you do it, and how to improve it. No team sees the errors first hand and how they effect the customers like Tech does, I think you'd be surprised what some of your core tech team members are capable of when they aren't scrambling to answer a phone every 15 seconds.

Come up with a certification/educational based compensation program to encourage employees to better themselves. Remember when you did that years ago and haven't since? Just shows the values of management now compared to back then.

3. It is rewarding to work for a growing company in a fast paced industry!

Current Employee - Operations in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Operations in Independence, OH

I have been working at Vox Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is little to no micro-managing, you truly are given the ability to craft your day around your client's and employees needs.

The pay is more than fair. The ability to work from home, casual dress code, quarterly bonuses and plenty of employee activities are other great benefits.

There is a tremendous culture of promoting from within. This certainly helps keeps most everyone motivated and working hard. And the occasional long day isn't an issue as it is clear that we are all working towards a common goal.

Cons

The open office layout can make it difficult to concentrate at times. Training opportunities are limited, especially with the technology changing so frequently. We need to keep investing in making us the true experts in this field.

Advice to Management

Please continue investing in training, development and keeping your best people.

Nov 19, 2014Director of Demand Generation

Thank you for your review of Vox Mobile! The speed at which technology, in the mobility-space, changes keeps everyone in our industry on their toes. As such, we are sometimes left ‘catching-up ... More

5. You Reap What You Sow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

I have been working at Vox Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Hours with Flexible scheduling. They are willing to work with you.
    Good amount of PTO.
    Great People to work with.
    Awesome work environment.
    Fun inter office activities.
    Fells like a community or family.

Honestly, people are always complaining about getting a raise or a promotion. That you have to be a member of the upper management cliques to get anywhere when in reality, all you have to do is work hard and show you care about your job. Put as much in to the company as you want to get out of it. There is an air of entitlement to rocks the world today and people are forgetting that hard work and dedication get you where you want to be. If you are given a task, make sure that you are putting your all into that task. There is no fake it till you make it. If you are offered responsibility, show them that giving you that responsibility was not a mistake and they can trust you with tasks and that's how you get ahead. Vox is a place where hard work and dedication pay off, you reap what you sow.

Cons

No discipline policy. (Attendance, dress code and other HR issues)
    Short staffed currently.
    A little too laied back

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Keep working on staffing. Keep working with your dedicated team members to remind them that you like what you see. When you value an employee, make it known. There needs to be some more structure and discipline added to the everyday work force. Right now, people are taking advantage of the atmosphere, of your rules. If you do these things, Vox will be unstoppable.

Nov 19, 2014Director of Demand Generation

Thank you for posting a Glassdoor review! It isn't often that we see someone who desires ‘more discipline’ in the workplace, but we understand your point. There are employees that have taken ... More

6. Config Tech

Current Employee - Config Tech in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Config Tech in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Vox Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible work schedules
    Flexibility to meet family needs, personal obligations.

Cons

Little pay Compensation .

Advice to Management

n/a

Nov 3, 2014Director of Demand Generation

Thank you for posting a review of Vox Mobile on Glassdoor. Vox Mobile is focused on "family-first" and goes to extraordinary lengths to accommodate it's employees' family obligations. This includes ... More

7. Fun and Awesome.

I have been working at Vox Mobile

Pros

Great pay and benefits and the company has a great vision of what is now and what is wants to be in the near future. Opportunites are there, but you have to work from the ground up to get there.

Cons

Hard to juggle multiple products and priorities that need to be done ASAP.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Demand Generation

Thank you for posting a review of Vox Mobile on Glassdoor. We appreciate your comments and are glad that your experience has been positive. Vox Mobile is very much a company on the rise, as such we ... More

If you enjoy losing, work here.

Former Employee - Mobility Specialist in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Mobility Specialist in Independence, OH

I worked at Vox Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture of the company prior to the Venture Capital money injection was great. People, management and work environment was great. The exposure to a new and exciting space was extremely beneficial.

Cons

Leadership is clueless, immature, out of synch with reality and lacks a solid plan on how to establish a sound growth plan. The culture has deteriorated to the point where talented and actively contributing employees have either been dismissed or left the company due to the "incestuous" nature of the management team and the broken promises. During the sprint to growth, large amounts of money was spent in all the wrong replaces, including a rebranding effort that wasn't needed nor did anything to help advance the company in a meaningful way.

No telecommuting in this day and age? That's unreal. The antiquated thought that if you're not in the office, you're not working is ludicrous. The location of the office is also ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Mean what you say and say what you mean. Dissolve the cliquish nature of management and be more transparent. Be brutally honest with yourselves and make a whole-hearted attempt to restore the culture.

Nov 6, 2014Human Resources Manager

Thank you for posting your review of Vox Mobile on Glassdoor. Currently there are team by team guidelines for work at home. The majority of our support staff covering night and weekend shifts work ... More

Empty Promises

I have been working at Vox Mobile full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work scheduling; work from home options for some staff.

Very friendly coworkers.

Good entry level experience

Good amount of PTO

Cons

Disconnected Management.

Much of the Management team literally has no clue what they are doing; only have positions due to personal relationships with Executive team, essentially just delegate work off to the supervisors.

Overworked, underpaid and understaffed support center.

If you work in the support center good luck getting out; they will make promises of "opportunities to move up" which are really lies because the support center is so short staffed that moving anyone anywhere that doesn't revolve around answering phone calls is out of the question.

Canadian side of the support center is very incompetent; US team will frequently have to pick up for the other teams "Slack" also; Canadian support center has more days off due to holidays.

Company has a very hard time keeping their "Best and Brightest". People who work there are generally there because they have nowhere else to go and get out with the first chance they have.

Pays the core of their workforce well below industry standards; but will create random Director level positions for people at a whim. Also; management likes to hand themselves promotions.

Advice to Management

Think outside the red bars.

Staff your support center properly.

Hire actually qualified people; not just anyone off of the street with customer service experience.

Pray your products and services continue to sell themselves.

Serious issues at the executive level

Current Employee - Sales (Engineering) in Independence, OH
    Current Employee - Sales (Engineering) in Independence, OH

I have been working at Vox Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We do a lot of good things in the mobile space. CEO is an excellent salesman.

Cons

- If you're not in the "inner circle" then look out; there is a well-defined buddy system from the C-level down
    - The core employees that are doing the critical work rarely get any recognition. When there IS recognition, it feels fake and forced
    - No performance reviews; good luck getting a raise
    - Employees are constantly told they will have opportunities to move "upward" but it never seems to happen. When it does, it's typically just a title change with no real substance
    - Extremely high job turnover, even for a relatively new company
    - Average salaries
    - Expected to work extra hours with no OT compensation

Advice to Management

Look at how many talented employees have left the company over the years and try to figure out how to keep others in the future. Turnover is inevitable, but the reasons that people are leaving are not the right ones. Look at the success that we have had, and imagine how that could have been improved upon if we kept that talent.

11. Great CEO - Great Experience - great skill builder

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Independence, OH

I worked at Vox Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience in a fast growing industry. Kris the CEO was a true professional and visionary. He changed his flight and schedule to assist me personally in Columbus when I was only 7 months in. The employees became a family that I want to be successful even though we have parted ways.

Cons

Some management folks do need to focus on how to motivate and relate to the staff.

Advice to Management

Ummmm.... Your in management and the company has consistent growth. I think I'm the one who should take the advice. Thanks Vox, I wish you all the best.

Vox Mobile Photos