Vulcan Materials Reviews

3.1
Vulcan Materials President and CEO J. Thomas Hill
J. Thomas Hill

1. Good company

Pros

Excellent benefits and great co-workers.

Cons

This really depends on what department you're in.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the heart of the company employees.

2. Do you want to keep your CDL? if so, don't apply here. you will violate FMSCA everyday.

Former Employee - Ready-Mix Driver
    Former Employee - Ready-Mix Driver

Pros

Got experience. Learned about concrete and now I know how to make a concrete patio in my backyard

Cons

Horrible company to work for. They preach never to break Federal and DOT law by not violating under any circumstances, even if that means rejecting a load if you're close to 15 hours.. Yet, if you reject the load, you get either fired, reprimanded, or retaliated against by dispatch sending you to the worse job and high possibility of getting in to an accident. Trust me, I know. They retaliate against employees for trying to sticking up for yourself: when your right, yet management blames you so they don't have to take the heat. Horrible working conditions. The Ready Mix trucks they own are unsafe and dangerous - trucks flip over taking left and turns going 5 MPH, tires constantly blow on highways while fully loaded, dispatch will "forget" about you when your broken down with an expensive load and tell you a mechanic is on the way, but yet he has no idea your broken down. So when that load goes bad, you tell your manager you called dispatch for a mechanic, dispatch will cover there own job and lie which leads to you getting fired. Federal Law says trucks cannot be hauling more than 5 yards on the Interstates Highways, well, they carry 9.5-10, so the drivers are taking the loads bellieving it's okay, when it's actually against the law (they won't tell you that, but with my recent meeting with The Department of Transportation, they said it is "highly illegal and dangerous". You work the worst hours possibly. 15+ hour days, with a "mandatory" 8 hour break in between shifts) yet they won't obey that. You'll come in at 1a.m, work until 5 or 6 p.m (again, breaking 15 hours) then clock out and you find out your start time the next day is at 12a.m (6-7 hour break) and at the end of the year they will tell you that your load count needs to increase while giving you a $.10 raise while management is getting massive bonuses and raises. Favortism is to the point that Batchman, and dispatch will try very hard to get you transferred to another division, or drive you out of the job just so their favorites don't have to take the last load or violate.. HR is goody-goody with management. I filed a grievence asin't my manager for trying to load me up at 14 hours and 54 minutes to go to a job 25 miles away, at 5pm in the afternoon, with the only way to get there is to go on the interstate. When I expressed me concern about violating he told me to take it and "i'll make an accepetion for the FMSCA law" (How can you do that for a law??) anyways, i was about to back my truck up to the plant to get loaded because if didn't then i'd be fired. So even though I didn't want too, I got in my truck but heard over the radio from my back up batchman (plant operator) not to back up the plant. It turns out that dispatch voided my ticket after being grilled by my back up plant operator that I'd violate... So they told me to wash out, park my truck and go home.. Well, I ended up getting written up for "rejecting" that load, when I NEVER DID! i explained my part of the story about how dispatch told me to wash out.. Well he tells me that he made his decision and that dispatch said I rejected the load.. When I had 8 witnesses telling my manager that it didn't happen like that.. I still got written up. The next Monday I go in to work with wires hanging out the back of a truck (mine was in the shop), the back lights didn't work, there was a hole in the hopper that would blow cement powder over cars following me, and 2 tires were flat. After my PTi I deemed the truck unsafe to drive. I tell my Plant Operator, and he tells me that if i didn't take the truck and get loads out, he will contact my manager. In a normal company, that'd be okay, i'd say "go for it the truck is broken", yet at VMC, management will side with the batchman and completely disregard the driver. Well i refused to drive it and he called my manager and he suspended me for "slashing the tires and pulling the wires out myself" when that was impossible, I had people around me while I was doing my PTI and they told my manager that i didn't do it and they were with me... he still suspended me and blamed me while laughing saying "i should have taken the truck". I filed a Grievence and when I went to a mediation (with my manager present) The HR guy asked me why I was in this office with him when I haven't had any infractions, write ups (until 2 weeks before) and had been a "perfect employee".. I explained my situation and really focused on the 15 hour violation and how it's against the law and even though we are told not to violate, but when it comes down to it we are written up or fired. The HR guy said "well that is a grey area in this company that will always exist. Management has to make that decision everyday, but rest assured, if ANYTHING happens, it falls on the manager" Well that's false, 'cause drivers have been forced to take loads after 15 hours, and something always happens, whether it be an accident or whatever, but when the cop asks why your over 15 hours and you tell him you were told by the manager it was okay.. The cop explains to you every time, that if you are caught behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle after 15 hours, it is 100% your fault because you are considered fatigued. Also, when your manager arrives and the cop asks if he gave permission to take the load, the manager covers his job and says something along the lines of "we have a policy that states that driver should know when they are going to violate and communicate that to management, I never recieved a call from this driver" it's absolutely disgusting. P.S. If your single, it works, if you have a family or baby due soon, don't expect to get off for the baby being born, a driver as on stand by at the end of the day, when he got a call from his wife's friend asking where he was at, they were at the hospital because his wife was in the middle of labor and she called his manager to tell him that (drivers aren't allowed to have cell phones in trucks) they wrre on the way to the hospital an hour ago. Well the manager didn't tell the driver, didn't get on the radio to inform him of his daughter being born, or even call the Plant Operator to tell him because the driver had been at the plant for 4 hours on stand by doing nothing but sitting in his truck.. The driver responded to her wife's friend that nobody told him anything.. When he confronted the manager, the manager said he never got a phone call from anybody. I was right by the driver when all this happened. if you have a family and request off to spend time with them on a saturday, they won't let you because it's a work day.

Advice to Management

All management should be Ready-Mix Drivers before being moved up. Learn to obey laws Listen to drivers, they know more about the company than you do. Stop being verbally abusive and vengeful - be professional. When you tell somebody that you're going to promote them, do it, don't lead them on and look for ways to "out" that employee as you like to call it.

3. Great Company, great people and great benifits

Pros

people, hours, overtime, near house

Cons

pay,too much overtime, too many supervisors,

5. Vulcan is a great place to work

Current Employee - Plant Manager in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Plant Manager in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Vulcan Materials (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vulcan is a good, solid company with great benefits and great employees. With the recent promotion of Tom Hill to CEO, we now have a great forward vision that was missing in the past. With the economy picking up, Vulcan is poised to do great things in the future.

Cons

Some upper management positions are filled with the wrong people just because they've been with the company a long time. In my opinion, positions should be filled with the most qualified people and not filled with people due to their longevity with the company.

Advice to Management

Time should be taken to find the best candidate for a position and not just filled with a long term employee, who someone "thinks" deserves a shot. Unless of course that person can do the job. If a person isn't performing, then changes need to be made ASAP.

6. Ready mix driver

Current Employee - Concrete Mixer Driver in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Concrete Mixer Driver in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Vulcan Materials (More than 8 years)

Pros

Have no other choice, it's the only work I can find right now

Cons

They don't treat there employees good.

Advice to Management

Very rear

7. Anonymous

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The pay is competitive . They offer a good benefits package. They also do a 401K match which is better than most companies. Company wide everybody receives boot allowance and safety equipment.

Cons

The work schedule is unpredictable. There is NO opportunity for advancement within the company. Work/Life balance does not exist. Management is out of Sync. Operates under the good ole' boy system.

Advice to Management

Management should promote from within. There are many talented (current) employees that have the skills to fill (OPEN) positions. There should more opportunities for training/certifications/school if applicable.

8. Good Job

Current Employee - Plant Office Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Plant Office Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Vulcan Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful benefits. Great office hours.

Cons

Working at the plant destroys the lookmof your car:/ ALWAYS dusty.

Awesome

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

you get to be apart of a great IT Team. Teamwork

Cons

you have to do a lot of traveling at times.

10. Great place to work

Pros

Interesting work, great coworkers, and opportunities to travel

Cons

I didn't experience any while I worked there

Advice to Management

Management seemed fine to me

11. Good Experience.

Former Employee - Landfill Class IV Operator in Litchfield Park, AZ
    Former Employee - Landfill Class IV Operator in Litchfield Park, AZ

I worked at Vulcan Materials full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work. I was a heavy equipment operator at their Litchfield Park Landfill. I retired from full-time work.

Cons

I have no Cons to report.

RSS Feed </> Embed