Vulcan Materials

Vulcan Materials Chairman and CEO Don James

Don James

Great place!

Scale Clerk (Former Employee) Lorton, VA

ProsGreat health benefits, good people to work for, standard compensation

ConsEarly start times, long days, working weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

plant manager

Manager (Former Employee) Elizabethtown, KY

Prosthe market will all ways be there

Conswork-life balance is out of balance

Not Bad

Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) Lombard, IL

ProsGreat pay!
    Nice people to work with.

ConsWhen the economy goes south, so does your job. MASS layoffs across the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that people are what make or break a business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent company to work for, but there is a copious amount of room for improvement.

Equipment Operator (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe benefits are good. Most of the people are great to work with. I was able to get task trained on several pieces of heavy equipment and I also got my CDL through the company.

ConsMid-level management lacks interpersonal communication skills, leadership qualities. Several benefits discussed during interview were pulled off the table at a later date (tuition reimbursement, sick days). Not very many opportunities to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with mid-level management to reinforce the importance of employee morale. Emphasize leadership qualities and tactics and use them to create a more pleasant and efficient work environment.

Watch your back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and 401k plan, money is great

ConsSome plants are great some plants are horrible, it's a watch your back atmosphere. Lots of people with years of experience and new people are targets. And mentioning HR is painting a target on your back!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are gone so much they don't know what's really going on at their own plants, they only know what the foreman let them know.

Great opportunity to learn the rock quarry concept.

Equipment Operator (Former Employee) Oshkosh, WI

ProsVery rewarding and well paying job.

ConsManagement was not people friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that all of your employees know that they are being recognized for being part of the team.

Ouch I got fired after only sex weeks

Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood benefits and I was very excited to be working there.

ConsWow I wanted to stay there forever but I got fired after six weeks

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch who you have in HR. I had 16 years experience in mailrooms but for some reason my fellow workers chose to continually call HR and tell them how I made numerous mistakes. My termination came as a complete surprise. In fact I was flabberghasted.

Things changed

(Current Employee)

ProsFriendly co-workers, many great people that are excellent at their jobs, 401K match is good after you have been with the company while. Corporate headquarters is more progressive than the divisions. The company was down during the recession, but now I expect the company to recover and have strong growth, despite the CEO, Don James, because of the strength of others.

ConsMany people accepted salaries that were sometimes far below the standard, with the understanding that long-term benefits made up for those, and now those long-term benefits like pension and low-cost insurance have disappeared. People often feel pressured not to take sick days. The company seemed very employee centered with a small company feel before the Florida Rock acquisition, but after, it felt like working for a large corporation headed the wrong direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire Don James and promote Michael Mills or Dan Sansone. Embrace the 90s and get rid of the "old boy" club in operations... there are many competent women who deserve consideration for promotion, but get passed by.

If you read one review make sure its this one!!!!!!

General Support (Former Employee) Norton, VA

ProsThe benefits are the only thing that made me punch in on the time clock. Pay was descent but that type of work it could have been a little more. Working here did make me realize what job I had before I was at vulcan and made and how they are better things out there

ConsShew where do I start?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? The most important one that got to me was that "upper management" had no respect for the men. I hired in as general support which consisted of plant clean up, maintenance, inspecting rollers, belts pulleys etc etc. I have a background of welding which i was told there would be welding involved in this job, yeah sounded great to me. The catch was I would do 90% of the welding and continued not to get welders pay. There is no room for improvement like "upper management" talks about. Only way to move up was to take some college which i have. I once even asked about going back to school to help me move up with the company. That went in one ear and out the other with the bosses. They're really not that concerned about the working man. Scared to death of MSHA and getting wrote up. During the winter months you better hope your wife has a good job because if it snows, rains or the temp drops below freezing you was lucky if you got to work. They are so old school it isnt funny its a shame. The tools they supply you with is awful. Reminds me very much of a Ma and Pa shop. Oh and not to mention I worked with men that had 25+ years there and there salary was only 38k to 40k. Upper management really needs to open there eyes and understand that its the men doing the manual labor work while supervisors push a pencil and if it wasnt for the men there paycheck wouldnt be there>

Advice to Senior ManagementHAVE A LITTLE MORE RESPECT FOR THE MEN WHO MAKE YOUR PAYCHECK!!!!

Good company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

Pros-Pay is good
    -Benefits are not bad
    -Birmingham is not a bad place to live; living costs are low
    -Friendly coworkers

ConsThey need to recruit locally. Universities in the Birmingham area have not seen a VMC recruiter in the past five years. They are missing out on great talent in their hometown.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit at the local colleges and universities.

Worked for Vulcan Materials? Contribute to the Community!