Vulcan

Updated October 27, 2014
1.9

Vulcan President & CEO Jody Allen
Jody Allen

it can be wonderful and it can be really difficult

I have been working at Vulcan (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of great opportunities with the various departments

Cons

not always clear on direction or expectations

Could be a great place, but isn't

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Vulcan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salary, interesting work

Cons

Poor people management; managers who suck up the best are the ones who keep their jobs, regardless of their skills or abilities.

Listen to the employees - if enough of them are giving significant negative feedback over many years about a manager, there's probably a very real problem there. I had at least two coworkers who were told by HR that they needed to just quit complaining, the HR rep didn't want to hear about problems with that manager anymore - they either needed to suck it up or move on.

Great for a few years

I worked at Vulcan full-time

Pros

Great benefits and perks, really cool projects, lots of divisions that can make an actual real and visible difference in the world. I met so many high-powered and very highly intelligent people while working there.

Cons

Management is not always the most qualified. Basically you are serving a billionaire and his toys/ hobbies, and sometimes that leads to favoritism and terrible work-life balance.

Potential Vs. Reality -- an amazingly wide gulf....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Vulcan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, and building amenities are great.

Cons

Where to begin? The Owners think they're really smart but when you own an environment in which you are never challenged (and pity the poor soul that does speak up...), the brain goes soft. There is no honest debate of ideas. The company has some amazingly talented people at all levels who have been attracted by the possibilities but the reality hits hard.

If you're not an Owner, don't count on being here too long. The half-life of senior management has shortened dramatically. For the Owners -- trust people. Some will let you down but the vast majority of people want to achieve the potential they saw upon joining Vulcan. You'll be happier and the work will improve.

I would stay clear

Former Employee - Technology in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technology in Seattle, WA

I worked at Vulcan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The money, they pay well.

Cons

It was very frustrating dealing with HR, Legal, and most of the C - level management.

Advice would be to do a better job of communication. Do not play games with people's life and be a company about change not change the people every other year. The hiring tatic of a "possible bonus" then not giving a bonus is shamefull.

Good people.

Former Employee - Administrative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Vulcan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary & great benefits - medical/dental/vision, PTO, 401k matching, and cool perks you can only get working for the Allen family. I was fortunate to work with a great team of people. Most employees are smart and hard working. Chance to work on or get exposure to some really interesting projects.

Cons

Everyone has an "expiration date" - the longer you've been there and the higher your pay, the closer it gets. Lots of poorly thought out layoffs over the last years I worked there. Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of dollars are wasted "just in case" the owners want to go somewhere/do something (they usually don't). People who go to HR with legitimate complaints are usually the ones who end up losing their jobs.

Treat employees with respect. Recognize the value of having knowledgeable & loyal long-term employees who make a little more money over the high turnover that currently exists.

A "Family Business" with a wide breadth of initiatives and experiences to be had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vulcan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The breadth of initiatives that Vulcan takes on is amazingly wide: the scope ranges from local to global, internal media projects to world-changing initiatives like climate change and ocean health. The compensation package is a good: salary midpoint targets at 60th percentile of the market, reasonable vacation and personal days that increase with tenure, private gym in the building, health club reimbursement, good health care coverage, and all kinds of fringe benefits that come with ownership of three major sports teams. The company is at the size where there's diversity of activity, but small enough where one could get to know almost everyone in the company, and the people working here are talented and great to work with.

Cons

Vulcan is after all a "family business", and there are idiosyncrasies that come along with that. Vertical communication, up and down, is not healthy: there is some "yes"-men/women mentality, and I think honesty in interactions suffer for that. Despite being an organization owned by a billionaire, there is an unreasonable financial austerity when it comes to HR that can sometimes stifle growth of employees and success of projects. In my opinion, the performance appraisal process here is very counterproductive. Employees are graded on a curve (remember college courses?) HR rejects the notion of "stack ranking", but under the hood, managers have to stack rank to determine how their teams members are distributed under the curve. The curve is determined by how well the company and department has been rated that year. The PA and goal-setting processes together extend over several months.

Treat employees as people, not human resources and focus on people's strengths more than their weaknesses.

Interesting Work, Culture of Fear

Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vulcan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company has very smart people who desire to do well. The benefits are good and the 401k match is great. The work is interesting. There are celebrations (Cinco de Mayo) with beer and wine.

Cons

Am approaching my six month anniversary and realize that I have made a mistake. There is a climate of fear. If you make a mistake or express an unpopular opinion, you go on the radar screen for being fired. Everyone is just a disposable pawn. This is a small company, yet the CEO doesn't interact with the employees. My coworkers tell me that the way to survive is to stay under your desk and keep your head down.

Keep your head down and keep your resume updated.

It's not worth it

I worked at Vulcan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and some of the talented people. There were some interesting and unique projects you may have a chance to work on.

Cons

I would give them 0 stars, but 1 star is for the benefits and perks. Everything else is a con. Upper management that won't listen or take credit for your ideas. As others have said, CEO is not available and doesn't interact with employees. There was also no clear direction from the owners. Directives could change on a whim and contradict previous ones.

Revamp your upper management completely. Some are hanging on and provide very little value and take credit for things they don't do.

Low morale generated by random firings of talented people, great benefits

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vulcan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits: matching 401k, good health insurance, decent vacation time, salary is okay. Good projects that really do have the potential to make a difference. There's almost no where else I could work and do what I do here. For that, I feel extremely blessed. Smart, talented people work here. Vulcan recruits and hires the best of the best.

Cons

Morale is just lousy. Anyone who has survived more than a few years operates by keeping their head down and trying to stay "off" the owners' radar. Once you're on the radar, it's just a matter of time until you're fired. Good projects, but the Owners are never satisfied with the project outcomes no matter how successful that project may be, they will always find the negative. Upper management who deal with the Owners are constantly demoralized...and that flows down. Upper management is working hard to cut bonuses...so if you're negotiating for a salary, don't take the bonus into account. Work/life balance is off - but remember you'll get fired eventually anyway, so don't work too hard. Thankless job. No opportunity for advancement...but you can take on more work!

You're in a really tough position. I don't envy you. Morale is already so low that cutting bonuses even further will just demoralize everyone even more. Is it worth it?

Vulcan Photos