Vungle

www.vungle.com

Vungle Reviews

Updated May 16, 2014
Vungle – San Francisco – “Welcome to Vungle!”

Zain Jaffer

Fast-paced & exciting culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCulture is great - values personal initiative, hustle and innovation. As a whole, the company values hard work and people are genuinely excited to come to work every day to build out the product and vision. Health and Financial benefits are on par with industry standards and other perks like PTO, expenses (lunches, gym, supplies) and equipment are great.

ConsHours are quite strenuous and work-life balance is often very skewed as people are passionate about everything they pursue. This also means that the salary compensations tend to be low due to hourly conversion.

In Service of Vungle

ProsThe first thing you'll notice when you walk into Vungle is the buzz in the air. People are laughing, working intensely, and collaborating like crazy. People from all over the company are exchanging ideas and making major moves. Its basically a full functioning Hustle Factory!

Culture
    Team
    Organizational structure
    Technology
    Leadership
    Benefits and awesome perks that make hustling great!
    Thought leadership
    Move fast and build things!

ConsCompany is growing up in the right way. We are enhancing perks and benefits across the board but not in a way to emulate other big tech companies. The only cons are that playing in the major leagues is an all encompassing pursuit.
    oh.. Office equipment could use an upgrade

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on bringing it all the time!

Sr. QA Engineer

7. Flexible environment
    8. Family like culture
    9. Lots of fun and perks
    10. Transparent

ConsIf you do not live close to SF then the commute could be of a challenge but there is always a work around.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrently it is not an issue but as the company grow make sure each individual in the company is empowered otherwise motivation fades away and this is the most critical problem in any job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exactly what I was looking for.

Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people, the culture, the mutual respect, and the mission. If you are a hustler, if you take pride in what you do, if you want to build something amazing, if you want to have freedom of creativity and great people to share it with, if you are an entrepreneur, you might be a good fit. I love it.

ConsIf you're not willing to hustle, this isn't the place for you. If you aren't willing to be all in, this isn't the place for you. If you are looking for something corporate and 9-5, this isn't for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture great

Hardwork, Opportunity + Personal Growth

ProsWorking at Vungle has been a dream job for me. I am challenged to be a better team communicator and passionate about the customers we support.

ConsThe long hours could be a con for some.

They'll dangle the carrot in front of you, until you are no longer needed...

Sales Operations (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Zain is great guy to work for and an impressive leader
    - Very talented engineering team
    - Innovative technology
    - HR team does a great job
    - Great office location with a lot of good food nearby
    - Great people to work with! I made a lot of great friends and was very sad to leave such amazing co-workers
    - Lunch on Tues/Thursday was good
    - Receptionist is always willing to help you with anything you need
    - Fun work events
    - Dog friendly (sort-of)

Cons- If you are a contract hire beware. I put in an extra 8-10 hours unpaid every week, prospected for new clients on the weekends, went to work events after hours, played dodgeball, heck even grew a mustache just to show how dedicated to the company and they did not have the decency or respect to give me at least a few days notice before firing me.

- Management wanted you to believe that Vungle is a "relaxed" environment and as long as you get your work done, you could play ping pong and shoot nerf guns. Be warned... My manager, when letting me go, stated that I played too much ping pong during my time at Vungle. What he failed to notice was that instead of taking hour long lunch breaks or playing games on my phone, I played a couple games of ping pong a day (some of which were his invitations to play!!), which leads to the next con....

- Lack of visibility with management~ My manager was gone every other week. As a result, I think he relied too heavily on peer reviews as a way to assess my performance at the company, not fully realizing what I was doing on a daily basis. I was blown away by his comments he made on my last day, as he made it seem like all I did during my time at Vungle was tend to my dog and play ping-pong. I have never been so offended in my professional career and expected so much more from a company that preaches respect and culture so adamantly.

- Team meetings can be very difficult. People will cut off one another and finish one another's sentences left and right. Management seemed to have no control over the group communication dynamics and meetings quickly became free-for-alls. If you are a good listener and a respectful communicator you may never get a word in and therefore be looked at as a "non-contributor" by your manager.

Advice to Senior Management- Set clearer goals for your employees with hard deadlines
    - Don't deceive employees
    - Manage

Building a great company while having fun with amazing people!

Engineering (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people! We are constantly having fun with each other whether working, playing, or drinking together. The leadership absolutely insists on a healthy, positive culture that encourages individuality, cooperation, innovation, and initiative. I am excited and energized to come to work every day to see what is possible with my coworkers!

I often tell my friends that the people at Vungle could be doing anything together - building houses, running a dog walking service, building a tech company - it wouldn't matter and I'm sure it'd be fun no matter what we were doing together.

ConsNone that I can think of!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the great culture going!

Best place to work and amazing people

Pros- Great people
    - Management listens and allows everyone to collaborate
    - Exciting and challenging work
    - Great benefits: health care, vacation, food, gym, company outings
    - A lot of growth and learning potential

ConsI've been thinking about this for a while and haven't been able to find anything. No cons as of yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Finally.. I've always wanted to work for a company like Vungle

Advertiser Relations (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLoving Vungle is two-fold for me.
    1/ Right product right time - the intersection of mobile and video is in the early stages of a booming industry. Vungle, over the last 10-12 months has solidified a top spot in what's continuing to grow into a massive opportunity - I love that.

2/ Our team - the icing on the cake - It's a truly special thing to wake up every morning and want to hurry to work to spend the whole day with friends. I say friends because that's what our team has become. On top of the close bond, it's a team of hustlers. Everyone is held entirely accountable for their part in continuing our growth. We thrive on this accountability and it's core to our success.

ConsGlassdoor reviews require Cons but I don't have any..

Open, honest, and lots of opportunity.

Pros- We're winners. We are killing it in our domain and definitely regarded as one of the top solutions in the space. It's not a question of if, but how we are going to accomplish our goals.
    - Ambition. Even though it's a young team, it's one that is insanely hungry.
    - Trust. From unlimited PTO to WFH, there is a lot of trust to get your job done. Sick for 2 weeks? No problem, just WFH and get your stuff done.
    - Open. The CEO has lunch with everyone once every 2 months. Not sustainable, sure, but you have to admire the commitment to making sure employees are happy and bought into the vision. Mgt is committed to making sure there is transparency to goals and expectations as well, which always makes life a lot easier.
    - A people. You are working with some of the most talented, hard working, people in the industry, especially on the engineering side. Yet, they're some of the most down to earth people you'll ever meet.

ConsI suppose the hours could be a bit long sometimes. That's just part of being in a startup, and there's a lot to do!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture open and fun.
    Keep hiring awesome people.

That's what makes it Vungle!

Worked for Vungle? Contribute to the Community!