Vungle
www.vungle.com San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Vungle Reviews

Updated Mar 4, 2014
Vungle – San Francisco – “Welcome to Vungle!”

Zain Jaffer

Exactly what I was looking for.

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vungle full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people, the culture, the mutual respect, and the mission. If you are a hustler, if you take pride in what you do, if you want to build something amazing, if you want to have freedom of creativity and great people to share it with, if you are an entrepreneur, you might be a good fit. I love it.

ConsIf you're not willing to hustle, this isn't the place for you. If you aren't willing to be all in, this isn't the place for you. If you are looking for something corporate and 9-5, this isn't for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture great

Hardwork, Opportunity + Personal Growth

I have been working at Vungle full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking at Vungle has been a dream job for me. I am challenged to be a better team communicator and passionate about the customers we support.

ConsThe long hours could be a con for some.

They'll dangle the carrot in front of you, until you are no longer needed...

Sales Operations (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Vungle as a contractor for less than a year

Pros- Zain is great guy to work for and an impressive leader
- Very talented engineering team
- Innovative technology
- HR team does a great job
- Great office location with a lot of good food nearby
- Great people to work with! I made a lot of great friends and was very sad to leave such amazing co-workers
- Lunch on Tues/Thursday was good
- Receptionist is always willing to help you with anything you need
- Fun work events
- Dog friendly (sort-of)

Cons- If you are a contract hire beware. I put in an extra 8-10 hours unpaid every week, prospected for new clients on the weekends, went to work events after hours, played dodgeball, heck even grew a mustache just to show how dedicated to the company and they did not have the decency or respect to give me at least a few days notice before firing me.

- Management wanted you to believe that Vungle is a "relaxed" environment and as long as you get your work done, you could play ping pong and shoot nerf guns. Be warned... My manager, when letting me go, stated that I played too much ping pong during my time at Vungle. What he failed to notice was that instead of taking hour long lunch breaks or playing games on my phone, I played a couple games of ping pong a day (some of which were his invitations to play!!), which leads to the next con....

- Lack of visibility with management~ My manager was gone every other week. As a result, I think he relied too heavily on peer reviews as a way to assess my performance at the company, not fully realizing what I was doing on a daily basis. I was blown away by his comments he made on my last day, as he made it seem like all I did during my time at Vungle was tend to my dog and play ping-pong. I have never been so offended in my professional career and expected so much more from a company that preaches respect and culture so adamantly.

- Team meetings can be very difficult. People will cut off one another and finish one another's sentences left and right. Management seemed to have no control over the group communication dynamics and meetings quickly became free-for-alls. If you are a good listener and a respectful communicator you may never get a word in and therefore be looked at as a "non-contributor" by your manager.

Advice to Senior Management- Set clearer goals for your employees with hard deadlines
- Don't deceive employees
- Manage

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Building a great company while having fun with amazing people!

Engineering (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vungle full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people! We are constantly having fun with each other whether working, playing, or drinking together. The leadership absolutely insists on a healthy, positive culture that encourages individuality, cooperation, innovation, and initiative. I am excited and energized to come to work every day to see what is possible with my coworkers!

I often tell my friends that the people at Vungle could be doing anything together - building houses, running a dog walking service, building a tech company - it wouldn't matter and I'm sure it'd be fun no matter what we were doing together.

ConsNone that I can think of!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the great culture going!

Best place to work and amazing people

I have been working at Vungle

Pros- Great people
- Management listens and allows everyone to collaborate
- Exciting and challenging work
- Great benefits: health care, vacation, food, gym, company outings
- A lot of growth and learning potential

ConsI've been thinking about this for a while and haven't been able to find anything. No cons as of yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Finally.. I've always wanted to work for a company like Vungle

Advertiser Relations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vungle full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLoving Vungle is two-fold for me.
1/ Right product right time - the intersection of mobile and video is in the early stages of a booming industry. Vungle, over the last 10-12 months has solidified a top spot in what's continuing to grow into a massive opportunity - I love that.

2/ Our team - the icing on the cake - It's a truly special thing to wake up every morning and want to hurry to work to spend the whole day with friends. I say friends because that's what our team has become. On top of the close bond, it's a team of hustlers. Everyone is held entirely accountable for their part in continuing our growth. We thrive on this accountability and it's core to our success.

ConsGlassdoor reviews require Cons but I don't have any..

Open, honest, and lots of opportunity.

I have been working at Vungle full-time for less than a year

Pros- We're winners. We are killing it in our domain and definitely regarded as one of the top solutions in the space. It's not a question of if, but how we are going to accomplish our goals.
- Ambition. Even though it's a young team, it's one that is insanely hungry.
- Trust. From unlimited PTO to WFH, there is a lot of trust to get your job done. Sick for 2 weeks? No problem, just WFH and get your stuff done.
- Open. The CEO has lunch with everyone once every 2 months. Not sustainable, sure, but you have to admire the commitment to making sure employees are happy and bought into the vision. Mgt is committed to making sure there is transparency to goals and expectations as well, which always makes life a lot easier.
- A people. You are working with some of the most talented, hard working, people in the industry, especially on the engineering side. Yet, they're some of the most down to earth people you'll ever meet.

ConsI suppose the hours could be a bit long sometimes. That's just part of being in a startup, and there's a lot to do!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture open and fun.
Keep hiring awesome people.

That's what makes it Vungle!

Great people, great market, great product

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Vungle full-time

Pros--A way of doing business you can be proud of
--Growing fast, lots of opportunity for career growth
--Great culture; nice people who get stuff done, no egos, lots of transparency from leadership team
--Dog-friendly!

ConsNone -- it's pretty awesome

Excellent group of highly motivated individuals.

I have been working at Vungle full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome work environment and benefits (flexible hours, unlimited PTO, medical & dental, expense your lunch/phone/gym, brand new MacBook Air, etc). You get to work cross-functionally with a small group of individuals who are all super intelligent and highly motivated. Lots of learning potential.

ConsNot so much a "con" but a caveat: Vungle is a startup and coming here from a big company can be a major culture shock. You'll be given the ability to lead new projects & initiatives and expected to do so with little direction. This "act like an owner" mentality isn't for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing! Continue to be open, honest, and constructive.

Fast-paced, Evolving, Amazing Company

I have been working at Vungle full-time for less than a year

Pros- Coworkers who feel like family
- Energetic office environment
- Fast-paced with an emphasis on personal growth and learning
- Very transparent leadership team with great bottom-up input available
- Amazing company roadmap
- TGIF Party, Lunches, and general wonderful atmosphere

Cons- The hours can be a bit nuts, but everyone is great and the job is a blast so it's worth it!

Worked for Vungle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vungle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vungle CEO Zain Jaffer. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Vungle employees.