Würth Baer Supply Co.

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014
2.8

Thomas O'Neill

Large company, numbers focused.

Current Employee - Sales in Penn Wynne, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Penn Wynne, PA

I have been working at Würth Baer Supply Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company provided me more support vs. what I realized at the time. My current employer is unreasonable, doesn't care. Baer Supply cared I just didn't realize that when I was there. But now it is very obvious to me that the grass is not always greener.
    Baer gave me the tools, the freedom and I had no clue on how good I could of had it. Baer always went to the board to find us more tools and programs and always tried to motivate us which I get none of that now.

Cons

Baer is hard on you when you are not achieving your numbers... Sometimes they were impatient but now I have realized that actually they tried to help even though they were impatient they just wanted me and my group to all do good.

Fix the pricing and truck routes and your team will be on top of the world. Keep open the communication with the president. He is impatient but is supporting and seems to understand the street perspective from my working with him.

Terrible Experience

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Würth Baer Supply Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits. That's all!! There is nothing else positive to say about this company outside of benefits.

Cons

Management, does not listen to employees, false promises, never fulfills what they preach, condescending, unrealistic expectations, unrealistic goals, no real understanding of their customers and marketplace, ridiculous pricing, favoritism, etc, etc, etc. Any current employee who claims opposite is doing so out of fear of retaliation. Thank The Lord above that I found another job.

Completely change upper management. Rethink your pricing strategies before you're out of business. Customers only buy from you when they have to.

Hard work and creative thinking is valued.

Current Employee - Rep
    Current Employee - Rep

I have been working at Würth Baer Supply Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership/management team is very open. You are able to communicate with them, share ideas and if the idea makes financial/marketing sense you are encouraged to move ahead. Empowering employees to make a difference.
    The company listens to their sales team: takes criticism, suggestions, challenges and creates opportunities to change.

Cons

Would encourage sharing of successes at every level not just sales.

Need to continue to promote from within and develop talent

Rewarding experience, never would of been given the same chances anywhere else

Current Employee - Staff in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Staff in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Würth Baer Supply Co. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Freedom when I am performing and meeting my objectives. Always challenging me to think more. Even paid a holiday check to having a good year.

Cons

Pressure is high to succeed. Can be stressful at times, but rewarding when successful.

Get rid of the slackers quicker, that are allowed to last to long.

Accept a job here at your own risk

I have been working at Würth Baer Supply Co. full-time

Pros

Decent car allowance, decent marketing material, decent promos on occasion, decent health insurance and benefits, and a whole lot of emails all day, every day.

Cons

This company thinks that running "sales blitzes" every other week is a good idea and management doesn't realize that our customers absolutely hate them and think that they're bush-league.

Care more about the opinions of your sales reps and fire managers that add nothing to the equation. If every rep in three different regions can't stand their sales manager, maybe that's a good indication that he's incompetent.

A Great Place to Work and Grow

I have been working at Würth Baer Supply Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Since the current leadership team took over 2+ years ago Wurth Baer Supply has flourished. Employees have a better work ethic, a better work environment and many more opportunities to grow within the Wurth organization. With some hard work and dedication the sky's the limit.

Cons

Working with a slim staff.
    As with most companies sales growth is very important, but as we grow financially internal personnel needs to be added. Work overload could cause ill will by employees and ultimately employee turn over.

When a policy is put in place it needs to be adhered to by all with no grey areas.

Great organization with ample opportunity for a challenging and rewarding career.

I have been working at Würth Baer Supply Co. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wurth Baer Supply provides abundant opportunity to advance based on one’s merit and aspirations. Compensation is more than fair and, for industrious employees, can be excellent!

Cons

Days are too short to get done all that you wanted to accomplish. (To be fair, this could probably be said about most career positions!) :-)

Management, at times, can react too slowly to a slothful or incompetent employee. Inevitably, when this less than industrious employee is confronted, they tend to lash out as if they had gained some sense of entitlement. Earlier intervention may curtail this cultivated sense of privilege.

Loved my job position, hated the hostile work environment within my department.

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Würth Baer Supply Co. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked very well with purchasing, customer service, and Baer's vendors. IT department was very knowledgeable and quick to resolve technical problems. Learned position quickly and accurately thanks to training by (now former) co-worker. Company has user-friendly SAP computer software. Baer did try to keep employees informed with quarterly meetings.

Cons

I had an ongoing HR problem with a hostile coworker; she refused to cooperate and to work with me; she made discriminatory comments about my young age and caused unnecessary commotion in the workplace. She caused another coworker to quit and got my supervisor fired because he yelled at her on the office floor after becoming upset by her negative attitude and lack of cooperation. Went to HR, supervisor, CEO, CFO, and COO in order to get resolution to this problem. After a year and a half, the problem still was not resolved so I decided to quit.

I took great pride in the company and my job position, but I am very disappointed that this issue was not resolved. Did not want to quit, but it was my last resort. I worked at Baer previously (was laid off due to the recession in 2009.) I was happy to return in 2011 and pursue the new career opportunity; in hindsight, it was the worse decision I made in my life.

I also had great interest in working in the purchasing department. It would have been a great transition from accounts payable. I spoke with the Chief Operating Officer, and he told me that I was "first in line" when a position became available. The first open position was given to another employee. Not sure why this false promise was given.

The work environment was extremely outdated and filthy. Bathroom stall doors would not even shut.

Do not have an open-door policy if you don't intend to stand by it. I cannot count how many times I went directly to the CEO seeking resolution to this problem. I was told that it would be resolved, but it never was. Even worse, my supervisor disliked that I repeatedly brought this issue up... I was even told not to go to HR because it made her look bad. I was also penalized on my merit review because of this coworker. I made every effort to be friendly and work with my fellow colleague, but the effort was not mutual.

The department was in great need of a supervisor.

Worst mistake of my career

I worked at Würth Baer Supply Co. full-time

Pros

If you like micromanagement, then this is your place. No, seriously I don't think there are any, but if something has to be listed I would say that the benefits are decent.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for their employees. Zero trust between the management and the managed. Archaic sales style, not a consultative approach at all but rather they try to force sales on their customers.

good luck

Proud to work for WBSC, we've come a long way!

I have been working at Würth Baer Supply Co.

Pros

Senior Leadership is involved and takes personal interest in each employee.
    CEO has a true passion for Wurth and tries every day to make customers and employees happy.
    Great health benefits - better than any of my peers outside of WBSC, regardless of company size
    Holiday bonus paid to all employees in 2012 and hopefully again in 2013 :)
    Being a part of The Wurth Group can open many doors for training and advancement, the sky is the limit if you're willing to work hard and possibly relocate.
    Huge quantity and variety of inventory, 19 locations to better serve customer needs, 60+ commercial company drivers to make personal deliveries.

Cons

As with most organizations, inter-departmental politics / bickering can be tiresome.
    Website for customers is not the easiest to navigate.
    Paystubs are not electronic (still get delivered in mail)

Top management has done a great job modifying the culture, continue doing what you're doing. Consider feedback given by employees throughout the organization. Many people have great ideas that might help.

Würth Baer Supply Co. Photos