W.L. Gore Reviews in Flagstaff, AZ

Updated September 23, 2014
3.5

W.L. Gore CEO Terri Kelly
Terri Kelly

Pros
  • work-life balance is (or was) excellent - better than any other company I've worked for (in 38 reviews)

• Great people and diverse product portfolio (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation lower than expected, especially for a city with such a high cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of new hires with little experience (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good experience, but tinged with negativity

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, no dress code, loosely choose working schedule, freedom to do pretty much whatever floats your boat.

Cons

Lots of cliques, politics, good old boy's club, localism, and the pay sucks. Due to lack of heirarchy there are no promotions, and thus no way to make stepwise changes to your salary. After 5 years I was still making $69k as a mechanical engineer, whereas my peers working at other companies quickly surpassed me. When I finally decided to leave I immediately got a $20k salary increase while still staying in Flagstaff. New ideas are quashed by the old timers who want to retire comfortably without having to gain any new knowledge. This kind of environment is a killer for young talent wanting to stay current with industry standards. New talent is better off staying for a few years to get it on the resume, and then leaving before they stagnate and become useless elsewhere.

Pay more competitively, promote new ideas, try to be a little more up with the times by promoting the ideas of the next generation of engineers.

MPD

Former Employee - Associate in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, profit share, ASOP, ranking process and facilities top my list as positives. The earlier Gore, 1990's and early 2000, was the place to work where fairness and lattice were guiding principals. Stretching the imagination and the value of associate input was appreciated and encouraged. Associates loved going to work and being associated with the name W. L. Gore. Back then, associates wanted to do even more for the company and for healthcare as a whole - not so much for themselves.

Cons

Definite hierarchy while boasting lattice structure. Leaders are royalty (some boarder on bullying) and possess way too much power. Gone are the days of pride, contribution, fairness and freedom. They've been replaced by bullying, a hierarchy structure and using the Contribution/Compensation process as a tool for leadership to lift themselves and others to the top of the list. Used to be the contributor's input was guarded - not so now. I've seen fellow associates input brought back to them by leadership and questioned. Definitely not the company it used to be. Now with the loss to Bard, this company of the 1990's and early 2000's will no doubt cease to exist.

Listen to what the average associate is saying regarding how they're treated by their superiors. Also, try to remember when "The Gore Culture" meant something and was of value. Reinstate the value of associate input during Contribution/Compensation to what it used to be. Don't forget that lattice, freedom, fairness and contribution/compensation were what built W. L. Gore & Associates to the company you have today.

W.L. Gore & Associates is a great place to work, it truly is an innovating company.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sponsorship is a strong attribute of this company. The want to see others succeed, grow and develop is apparent. The lattice is a great way for associates to have the freedom to approach any level of management and discuss any subject of concern or ideas.

Cons

People skills are a must for this company and also having the ability to receive and give positive and negative feedback. sometimes this is not always done in "best practice", such as direct one-to-one communication.

Compensation does not always have to be a monetary gain. A "thank you" or a pat on the back, no matter what the job title can go a very long way. Take the time to know who is working towards the same goal as you are for the enterprise.

Interesting place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It depends on the individual, if you can work effectively without direction, and with ambiguous goals, you might really like it here. The culture is interesting, and can be an asset, but it is not utilized by every department, and varies quite a bit from plant to plant.

Cons

Something of a popularity contest at times, the feedback you receive can be quite inaccurate and harsh. The culture is both an asset and a hindrance. I really don't know how to rate it. I have noticed a number of people complain that Gore says one thing and does another...frequently.

Need to bring in some experienced persons and start running like a normal company.

Summer Hire

Current Employee - Summer Hire in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Summer Hire in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunitys to learn, really nice people everywhere, freedom to chose your own commitments which work well with you.

Cons

I have no cons about this company.

Very laid back and relaxed

Current Employee - Lab Technician I in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Lab Technician I in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

you make your own commitments and take on how much you choose to handle

Cons

Waiting on people to continue with your projects can take a very long time

Everything is pretty great

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Process Development Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Process Development Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being privately held, the company can invest for the long term. Most people are nice and easy to work with. You have freedom to work on your projects with a lot of interference.

Cons

There seems to be quite a bit of age discrimination. Younger engineers have more opportunities. Don't believe everything you read about the "Gore Culture"

Summer hire

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great experience to learn during college

Cons

work gets slow and ends up being busy work

Medical Device Operator

Former Employee - Medical Device Operator in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Medical Device Operator in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, Very military friendly, Low-stress atmosphere

Cons

May be difficult to move up in the company

some people have to work; and some don't.......

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

freedom with schedule, vacation, etc..

Cons

Too much middle management erupting across the division. The people that really know their business (job), are the last to be asked for input on that business. Playing pig pong seems more important to leadership than a job well done!

Keep an eye on the green engineers squandering money, and time like it grows on trees. No one monitors what they're actually accomplishing.