W.L. Gore Reviews

257 reviews filtered by
3.6
W.L. Gore CEO Terri Kelly
Terri Kelly

Pros
  • work-life balance is (or was) excellent - better than any other company I've worked for (in 38 reviews)

• Great people and diverse product portfolio (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation lower than expected, especially for a city with such a high cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of new hires with little experience (in 7 reviews)

1. Awesome company!

Current Employee - Medical Device Operator in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Medical Device Operator in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, motivated associates and leadership! Really allow you to thrive and pursue career goals.

Cons

The only con that I have is that I didn't find this job sooner!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The culture and environment are absolutely wonderful. It is really a joy to work here.

Cons

Decision making is a very time consuming process and can slow down projects. Learning to navigate the process to streamline projects can be very difficult.

3. Production Leader

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

Can be a fun environment where you can learn and grow if you have the right leader and sponsor.

Cons

Ranking is a pretty sick and political process that everyone has to endure every year. Must drink the Gore Culture Kool-aid to be successful.

Advice to Management

Understand that the further a site is geographically from the headquarters, the further it will be philosophically from the Gore Culture that they try to promote.

5. Good place to work

I have been working at W.L. Gore (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of emphasis is placed on the company culture, which is intended to foster one-to-one communication at any "level" of the organization, and places trust in individuals to do what is right for the business in the long term. The structure is relatively non-hierarchical and collaborative, which is great for people who don't need someone to tell them what to do. As a privately held enterprise there is no need to produce quarterly results for Wall Street, so decisions can be made that might hurt short-term revenue but will pay off in the long term.

Cons

The collaborative culture results in a lot of meetings and the need for many people to provide input before a decision is made, which can be frustrating for those who come to Gore from another company.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the "pulse" of the organization; consider more family-friendly policies; ensure that openness to change is encouraged of all associates.

6. Good experience overall, but...

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

Benefits were some of the best I've had in the Clinical Research industry. The flat management structures allows a fair amount of latitude, autonomy, and freedom to create your own niche. "Small teams" culture provides flexibility to generate and manage new ideas and improvements. Very stable company with strong growth while I was there. A good fit for self-directed, self-motivated people that don't require structure or need lots of direction.

Cons

Salary increases were below average and bonuses/profit shares were far below average for my job level. Many departments are not adept at integrating and valuing high skilled or highly experienced new hires. There is often too much "we've always done it this way" from the long tenured employees. Change is often glacial in coming. The freedom to explore new and better ideas does not mean they will be implemented. You must really make a strong case and be a champion for your ideas to get people to follow you. The idea alone won't move. Leadership development is lacking and leadership opportunities appears to be more favoritism based than merit based. That is perspective only, but one shared by several current and former employees with which I've spoken. Be aware that the unique company culture is not for everyone. There is often too much flexibility and latitude and the pace can be slow at times and crazy at others, not well balanced workloads across teams.

Advice to Management

A better incentive program for associates would help drive higher performance. Dig deeper into the culture to find areas where the status quo is being maintained instead of positive changes or progress. Coach leaders to better orient and integrate very experience new hires so that they can more fully contribute at the high level you hired them for.

7. Great medical device company

Current Employee - Clinical Study Manager in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Clinical Study Manager in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

High degree of individual freedom- I really feel like I can shape my own career. Flagstaff is a great city to live in. Produce some really great products.

Cons

Product excellence company means that support functions are relatively immature. Not sure how long a little medical device company can continue to pay with the big boys of the industry.

Advice to Management

Pay more competitively, especially in the support functions. Emphasis on product specialist role had negative implications on functional and regional contributions.

8. Gore is great

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

Good work atmosphere with many pluses. Fun working at Gore as you work on teams and everyone gets to pick their leader and rate their fellow Associates. Sure makes you play nice at work.

Cons

Too many meetings but then you get to attend fun parties as you will be celebrated every 5 years as long as you are still employed.

Advice to Management

End the temp employment system as they work for low pay without benefits to boot, a cruel system.

9. I had a nice experience in my senior capstone project in NAU sponsored by W.L. Gore.

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

My teammates are nice and friendly. We had a good job in design and manufacturing a portable sanitization chamber. You can learn a lot of things in this senior capstone project.

Cons

The project is a little complicated and last one academic year and you should spend a lot of time on the project.

Advice to Management

Project tied for first place with Arizona State University

10. Great summer internship for students

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

Great pay, hands on experience

Cons

Limited freedom, sometimes not enough work

Advice to Management

Provide more duties

My time at Gore

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elkton, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elkton, MD

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gore is a great place to work unless your job gets eliminated....line mine did after 16 years. However, the 16 years I spend with the company were great. Flexible schedule, family orientated, they match vacation from previous job (if you had 3 weeks of vacation at old employer, then you automatically get 3 weeks coming into Gore). Room to grow, they try to train leaders from within.

Cons

After 16 years of service and a great associate, my job was eliminated due to the downturn of government contracts. Felt like no one had my back when trying to find another job within the company.

Advice to Management

When you have a good associate who never missed time, was never late, etc, try to give more help when people are in "job jeopardy"