W.L. Gore

Be The First To
Add Photos

W.L. Gore CEO Terri Kelly

Terri Kelly

Pros
  • Unbeatable work/life balance; best coworkers you'll ever work with(in 34 reviews)

• Great people and diverse product portfolio(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation lower than expected, especially for a city with such a high cost of living(in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, politics, arrogant leadership, hypocrisy(in 6 reviews)

A good place to work, there is pressure when a deadline needs to be met, otherwise pretty easy going.

ProsI love my vocation and Gore lets me attain greatness in it.

ConsIt is absolutely necessary to understand this culture so that you may take advantage of it for your personal benefit as well as the enterprise's benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is very supportive and there seems to be an honest interest in your personal experience at Gore. Keep up the good work.

Summer Hire

Summer Hire (Current Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

ProsGreat opportunitys to learn, really nice people everywhere, freedom to chose your own commitments which work well with you.

ConsI have no cons about this company.

Very laid back and relaxed

Lab Technician I (Current Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

Prosyou make your own commitments and take on how much you choose to handle

ConsWaiting on people to continue with your projects can take a very long time

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is pretty great

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Family-oriented

Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Elkton, MD

ProsThe people you get to meet are all very nice, talented, and laid back in general. Everyone is willing to help you when you are new, and it is never difficult to become part of the community.

ConsChange is not welcome - older employees tend to fear new ideas that are being brought onto the table. Sometimes, management is not very in touch with what the company needs, since they have a background unrelated to what they're leading.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Make a better effort in understanding the needs of your department, rather than running off your past experience in different areas.

Amazing place to work!

Associate (Current Employee) Elkton, MD

Prosbenefits and time off, laid back

ConsYou are responsible for your own work

Great place to work, but keep your head down and your mouth shut.

Manufacturing Operator (Former Employee)

ProsFun company culture, great benefits, nice environment (buildings are clean and updated, large kitchen w/ all the appliances, etc.)

ConsSome leadership issues, depending on which dept. you work in. Seems that people with seniority can make wild accusations about co-workers, and leadership will taken them seriously, regardless of how outlandish or repetitive the claims are. Not much room for advancement if you start in manufacturing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take people's word for it when you hear a complaint. Try to see for yourself if the issue really exists or not. There really are people who work for you who just like to get others into trouble for their own mysterious and weird reasons.

Great Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Elkton, MD

ProsEveryone is very friendly and sociable
    Works hours are very flexible
    Events hosted by Gore both inside and outside of work hours
    Super smart associates (employees)

ConsForces you to be social since pay is based on pier review
    Pay isn't the best

Choose your career path wisely.

Operations (Current Employee) Elkton, MD

Pros-Most of the individual contributors are genuinely good people. They are friendly and helpful in any way they can help.
    -The operations side of the company is so far behind compared to external companies that a halfway competent person could make big impacts.
    -Some folks have a great work life balance and can take vacations and sick time throughout the year with no impact to their career or earnings.
    -Pay is fair when you first join the company.
    -The benefits package is on par with external companies.

Cons-No work life balance for those in operations (professional and production associates) due to no processes, backups, or proper business planning. This is a direct reflection of poor/incompetent leadership.
    -No standard processes or training for any of the new or new to the job associates (causes fires).
    -Not a quality driven company. Most products I had experience with cannot be made the same way twice and product specs are vague at best. The company has a lot of scrap and waste and makes it up with its high margins.
    -The most nepotistic company I have ever had the experience working at in my career. Many family members hired as they have direct relationships with leaders. The company hires based on who you know and not what you know unless they are in dire need of external help. Good ol’ boys network is alive and well at Gore along with the friends and family plan. “Successful” leaders have at least 3+ family members working within Gore (some have divorced and remarried internally in Gore).
    -The company is very stingy on vacation and will tell you that you actually have more vacation then you had externally as you now have 2 weeks sick time that can be used. However, they don’t tell you that sick time will be used against you during compensation time if you use it for any reason.
    - Leadership is very unethical. I have experienced business leaders using their position for personal gain with external vendors/businesses within the same industry.
    -Leadership will also have conversations with you to find out ways to “improve” and if everything is going ok. However, they are looking for an ego stroke and for you to say that everything is great and what they are doing is the best thing since sliced bread. If you tell the truth, you will be quickly targeted as a poor performer and HR will be pulled in to start your exit process (unbeknownst to you). I have personally witnessed 2 examples of this situation in the past year.
    -Leadership will also tread lightly on folks that are over 40 and are minorities due to fear of lawsuits.
    - There are two types of folks who love it at Gore. All of the Industrial engineer new hires that are brought on board and nurtured by leadership to promote the Gore culture and are made to feel they are making a difference and the gore lifers who have 15+ years of service and are unable to function in any external company.
    - Firefighting is rewarded and encouraged. 99% of these fires would be avoided if they had a clue about a quality culture.
    - The company has internal marketing campaigns on how it is the best place to work and that you cannot go anywhere better than Gore. Those that came from external companies know better that to listen to this lie but it is a very useful retention tactic for Gore lifers as well as new associates.
    - If you come up with a great business strategy for a project, your business/production/plant leader will take your project idea and give it to one of their “friends” so that they can be successful. You will be required to be a part of the team and drive these results but will not ever get the credit you deserve on the project.
    -Career development is a joke. Most of the people that are in charge of developing you are lifetime Gore associates who have no idea on how to effectively run an operation, process or have the knowledge of external best business practices.
    - The Lattice “Flat” structure is real within Gore but there are lattice layers with stairs between the layers (those that have the access to the stairs are good ol’ boys and are well connected).
    - Leaders tend to be culture cheerleaders (human resources and company culture salespeople) and are not brought in for hard skills but rather selling the culture as real and that Gore is the best place to work.
    - Note for external candidates: Gore will only post external roles that no one internally wants. Be wary of any external roles. If the role is not gravy enough for a family member than they will bring someone externally in to fulfill the role. Again, most of these positions will be due to very poor leadership decisions and lack of skill sets throughout the organization and they are in dire need of help. Once the help has been provided you will be expendable.
    I would have loved to read a review like mine before accepting my position at Gore to know what I was getting into. Be cautious about accepting any role that is close to operations/engineering.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a lot of house cleaning to do in order to course correct the enterprise.

Not a bad place to work

Process Development Engineer (Current Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

ProsBeing privately held, the company can invest for the long term. Most people are nice and easy to work with. You have freedom to work on your projects with a lot of interference.

ConsThere seems to be quite a bit of age discrimination. Younger engineers have more opportunities. Don't believe everything you read about the "Gore Culture"

Summer hire

Summer Associate (Former Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

Prosgreat experience to learn during college

Conswork gets slow and ends up being busy work

Worked for W.L. Gore? Contribute to the Community!