W.L. Gore Reviews

Updated October 8, 2014
3.5

W.L. Gore CEO Terri Kelly
Terri Kelly

Pros
  • work-life balance is (or was) excellent - better than any other company I've worked for (in 38 reviews)

• Great people and diverse product portfolio (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation lower than expected, especially for a city with such a high cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of new hires with little experience (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn, not a place to retire

Former Employee - Business Leader in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Business Leader in Newark, DE

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible job, ease of moving to different roles in the company.
    They have a great training program for product managers.
    Base compensation was in-line with industry peers, a bit short on performance bonus

Cons

better enjoy the culture, it is everywhere, think cult. you must demonstrate you "fit" if you want to get promoted
    promotions often turn into popularity contests rather than being based on merit

Nice place to work for

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The lattice structured organization is great for people who are self-motivated and anti-micromanagement. Work-life balance is unbeatable. For young engineers, it is a nice place to start a career because Gore likes to grow the leaders internally.

Cons

Career paths for skilled/seasoned professionals are limited. People skills rather than technical skills are more appreciated.

It will be nice to have a clear rewarding system to reward people who truly contribute to the company's creative technologies.

Good experience, but tinged with negativity

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, no dress code, loosely choose working schedule, freedom to do pretty much whatever floats your boat.

Cons

Lots of cliques, politics, good old boy's club, localism, and the pay sucks. Due to lack of heirarchy there are no promotions, and thus no way to make stepwise changes to your salary. After 5 years I was still making $69k as a mechanical engineer, whereas my peers working at other companies quickly surpassed me. When I finally decided to leave I immediately got a $20k salary increase while still staying in Flagstaff. New ideas are quashed by the old timers who want to retire comfortably without having to gain any new knowledge. This kind of environment is a killer for young talent wanting to stay current with industry standards. New talent is better off staying for a few years to get it on the resume, and then leaving before they stagnate and become useless elsewhere.

Pay more competitively, promote new ideas, try to be a little more up with the times by promoting the ideas of the next generation of engineers.

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

Its a great company.I have worked at other companies before gore so I appreciate my job.

Cons

Some of the challenges are the younger generation has no work ethic. They think freedom means do what they want to do

Nice Place to Work

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

The company culture is strange, frustrating, and exciting. While there are challenges, you always have the ability to impact the company in a positive way. Leaders are typically grown organically, although there are politics as in every company.

Cons

Many associates don't have much experience outside of Gore. It can be a challenge to discuss or suggest industry best practices due to belief that Gore's practices are better.

W.L. Gore & Associates is a great place to work, it truly is an innovating company.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sponsorship is a strong attribute of this company. The want to see others succeed, grow and develop is apparent. The lattice is a great way for associates to have the freedom to approach any level of management and discuss any subject of concern or ideas.

Cons

People skills are a must for this company and also having the ability to receive and give positive and negative feedback. sometimes this is not always done in "best practice", such as direct one-to-one communication.

Compensation does not always have to be a monetary gain. A "thank you" or a pat on the back, no matter what the job title can go a very long way. Take the time to know who is working towards the same goal as you are for the enterprise.

great but very long process

Current Employee - Sourcing in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Sourcing in Newark, DE

I have been working at W.L. Gore as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom is exception for me

Cons

technology issues plague me all the time.

less meetings

Still a great culture - they care about their people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkton, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkton, MD

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, Work - Life Balance, Technology

Cons

If you have weak leaders the culture really suffers

Get out on the production floor more!

MPD

Former Employee - Associate in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, profit share, ASOP, ranking process and facilities top my list as positives. The earlier Gore, 1990's and early 2000, was the place to work where fairness and lattice were guiding principals. Stretching the imagination and the value of associate input was appreciated and encouraged. Associates loved going to work and being associated with the name W. L. Gore. Back then, associates wanted to do even more for the company and for healthcare as a whole - not so much for themselves.

Cons

Definite hierarchy while boasting lattice structure. Leaders are royalty (some boarder on bullying) and possess way too much power. Gone are the days of pride, contribution, fairness and freedom. They've been replaced by bullying, a hierarchy structure and using the Contribution/Compensation process as a tool for leadership to lift themselves and others to the top of the list. Used to be the contributor's input was guarded - not so now. I've seen fellow associates input brought back to them by leadership and questioned. Definitely not the company it used to be. Now with the loss to Bard, this company of the 1990's and early 2000's will no doubt cease to exist.

Listen to what the average associate is saying regarding how they're treated by their superiors. Also, try to remember when "The Gore Culture" meant something and was of value. Reinstate the value of associate input during Contribution/Compensation to what it used to be. Don't forget that lattice, freedom, fairness and contribution/compensation were what built W. L. Gore & Associates to the company you have today.

Started out pretty good, went downhill about a year ago

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* work-life balance is (or was) excellent - better than any other company I've worked for. There's been a recent focus on hours more than in the past - whether this continues or not is an unknown.
    * It's almost impossible to screw up, especially if you're friends with "leadership". I've seen people completely screw up a project and suffer no consequences. They move on to bigger and better things, and leave the mess behind for someone else. Accountability is severely lacking.
    * most of the people are truly good people and easy to work with. There are exceptions, but for the most part I like everyone I work with on a personal level.
    * Flagstaff is a nice place to live if you can survive without big-city conveniences.

Cons

* recent reorganization led to approximately 4 times more "leadership", and an org chart that can't fit on one page. In other words, Gore just invented middle management, and about half of that "management" is either incompetent or not willing to be accountable (see point #2 in Pros).
    * The recent reorganization has led to buildings operating as individual units (Bill Gore originally wanted each building to have no more than 200 employees. As a result, Gore in Flagstaff has 12 buildings). This has resulted in buildings stealing employees from other buildings without oversight from management. Some teams have lost all of their experienced engineers, and are left with only new-hires to make critical decisions. At some point this will backfire, and that backfire will most likely involve a recall.
    * There are only a set number of major projects in the works right now. If you aren't part of those projects, you are a second-class employee, regardless of your skills or contribution.
    * Obamacare could sink Gore Medical, since we charge way more than others for our products. Usually we have the performance data to back up the additional cost, but if any of the major projects can't show a significant performance advantage, I expect medicare will refuse to pay for these new products. The result will be layoffs, or worse.
    * As other reviews stated, Gore is family-oriented. If you don't have a family, you will be treated differently.

Reorganize, again, but this time don't allow leadership to reorganize leadership. That will only result in more leadership, and more "me and my buddy" situations. Instead, lean out leadership and place the emphasis on technical associates who are technically competent.