W.L. Gore

Updated November 6, 2014
3.5

W.L. Gore CEO Terri Kelly
Terri Kelly

Pros
  • work-life balance is (or was) excellent - better than any other company I've worked for (in 38 reviews)

• Great people and diverse product portfolio (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation lower than expected, especially for a city with such a high cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of new hires with little experience (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Very social workplace -- It can be fun but it's not for everybody.

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

Many associates genuinely care about each other much more than any other company I've worked for. If you're in the right team within Gore, it's a ton of fun and the business results can be amazing.

Cons

Long term personal growth seems to be tied to impressions of leadership rather than a focus on results. I've seen many people advance without really ever having a significant business contribution.

Some of the most genuine/caring people I've ever met (except a few outliers)

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

People around you genuinely care about your personal satisfaction and growth, they try to point you in the right direction, nudge you when you need it, help you when you're struggling, and try to make opportunities for you.

Cons

Decision making for high priority projects is an excruciatingly slow and messy process. Only a handful of knowledgeable people around a room full of opinions make this a dreadful process. Ownership of decisions is diluted with teams of leaders trying to make a decision - if it goes well (happens rarely) then everyone is happy, otherwise everyone points the finger at everyone else.

I've only heard stories of "the good old days" when Bill or Bob Gore roamed the halls... In my opinion, I believe the company did so well in that era is because of a leader (with his name on the front door) who could own his decisions and not have to worry about getting it wrong. Bring back the decision making ability to the people who are making the products or the processes - let these guys have the ability to change the paradigm.

Great place to learn, not a place to retire

Former Employee - Business Leader in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Business Leader in Newark, DE

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible job, ease of moving to different roles in the company.
    They have a great training program for product managers.
    Base compensation was in-line with industry peers, a bit short on performance bonus

Cons

better enjoy the culture, it is everywhere, think cult. you must demonstrate you "fit" if you want to get promoted
    promotions often turn into popularity contests rather than being based on merit

Great Company for learning and development with opportunities to expand and try new things.

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Gore is great. There is flexibility in work schedule. There is no specific show up time. I work forty hours in a week and have the rest of my week to do what I want. I decide what I work on (within business needs) and have the flexibility to explore and learn. I am able to feel like what I do makes a difference and that I am accomplishing something. It is great to be able to interface with so many people on a regular basis.

Cons

Projects tend to move slowly due to the amount of people that have to buy in before moving forward with any changes. This can be frustrating if you like getting things done quickly

Nice place to work for

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The lattice structured organization is great for people who are self-motivated and anti-micromanagement. Work-life balance is unbeatable. For young engineers, it is a nice place to start a career because Gore likes to grow the leaders internally.

Cons

Career paths for skilled/seasoned professionals are limited. People skills rather than technical skills are more appreciated.

It will be nice to have a clear rewarding system to reward people who truly contribute to the company's creative technologies.

Good experience, but tinged with negativity

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, no dress code, loosely choose working schedule, freedom to do pretty much whatever floats your boat.

Cons

Lots of cliques, politics, good old boy's club, localism, and the pay sucks. Due to lack of heirarchy there are no promotions, and thus no way to make stepwise changes to your salary. After 5 years I was still making $69k as a mechanical engineer, whereas my peers working at other companies quickly surpassed me. When I finally decided to leave I immediately got a $20k salary increase while still staying in Flagstaff. New ideas are quashed by the old timers who want to retire comfortably without having to gain any new knowledge. This kind of environment is a killer for young talent wanting to stay current with industry standards. New talent is better off staying for a few years to get it on the resume, and then leaving before they stagnate and become useless elsewhere.

Pay more competitively, promote new ideas, try to be a little more up with the times by promoting the ideas of the next generation of engineers.

great but very long process

Current Employee - Sourcing in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Sourcing in Newark, DE

I have been working at W.L. Gore as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom is exception for me

Cons

technology issues plague me all the time.

less meetings

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

Its a great company.I have worked at other companies before gore so I appreciate my job.

Cons

Some of the challenges are the younger generation has no work ethic. They think freedom means do what they want to do

Nice Place to Work

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

The company culture is strange, frustrating, and exciting. While there are challenges, you always have the ability to impact the company in a positive way. Leaders are typically grown organically, although there are politics as in every company.

Cons

Many associates don't have much experience outside of Gore. It can be a challenge to discuss or suggest industry best practices due to belief that Gore's practices are better.

Still a great culture - they care about their people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkton, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkton, MD

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, Work - Life Balance, Technology

Cons

If you have weak leaders the culture really suffers

Get out on the production floor more!