W.L. Gore

Updated March 5, 2015
3.6

W.L. Gore CEO Terri Kelly
Terri Kelly

Pros
  • work-life balance is (or was) excellent - better than any other company I've worked for (in 38 reviews)

• Great people and diverse product portfolio (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation lower than expected, especially for a city with such a high cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of new hires with little experience (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience overall, but...

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

Benefits were some of the best I've had in the Clinical Research industry. The flat management structures allows a fair amount of latitude, autonomy, and freedom to create your own niche. "Small teams" culture provides flexibility to generate and manage new ideas and improvements. Very stable company with strong growth while I was there. A good fit for self-directed, self-motivated people that don't require structure or need lots of direction.

Cons

Salary increases were below average and bonuses/profit shares were far below average for my job level. Many departments are not adept at integrating and valuing high skilled or highly experienced new hires. There is often too much "we've always done it this way" from the long tenured employees. Change is often glacial in coming. The freedom to explore new and better ideas does not mean they will be implemented. You must really make a strong case and be a champion for your ideas to get people to follow you. The idea alone won't move. Leadership development is lacking and leadership opportunities appears to be more favoritism based than merit based. That is perspective only, but one shared by several current and former employees with which I've spoken. Be aware that the unique company culture is not for everyone. There is often too much flexibility and latitude and the pace can be slow at times and crazy at others, not well balanced workloads across teams.

A better incentive program for associates would help drive higher performance. Dig deeper into the culture to find areas where the status quo is being maintained instead of positive changes or progress. Coach leaders to better orient and integrate very experience new hires so that they can more fully contribute at the high level you hired them for.

Gore is great

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

Good work atmosphere with many pluses. Fun working at Gore as you work on teams and everyone gets to pick their leader and rate their fellow Associates. Sure makes you play nice at work.

Cons

Too many meetings but then you get to attend fun parties as you will be celebrated every 5 years as long as you are still employed.

End the temp employment system as they work for low pay without benefits to boot, a cruel system.

Great medical device company

Current Employee - Clinical Study Manager in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Clinical Study Manager in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

High degree of individual freedom- I really feel like I can shape my own career. Flagstaff is a great city to live in. Produce some really great products.

Cons

Product excellence company means that support functions are relatively immature. Not sure how long a little medical device company can continue to pay with the big boys of the industry.

Pay more competitively, especially in the support functions. Emphasis on product specialist role had negative implications on functional and regional contributions.

My time at Gore

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elkton, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elkton, MD

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Gore is a great place to work unless your job gets eliminated....line mine did after 16 years. However, the 16 years I spend with the company were great. Flexible schedule, family orientated, they match vacation from previous job (if you had 3 weeks of vacation at old employer, then you automatically get 3 weeks coming into Gore). Room to grow, they try to train leaders from within.

Cons

After 16 years of service and a great associate, my job was eliminated due to the downturn of government contracts. Felt like no one had my back when trying to find another job within the company.

When you have a good associate who never missed time, was never late, etc, try to give more help when people are in "job jeopardy"

I had a nice experience in my senior capstone project in NAU sponsored by W.L. Gore.

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

My teammates are nice and friendly. We had a good job in design and manufacturing a portable sanitization chamber. You can learn a lot of things in this senior capstone project.

Cons

The project is a little complicated and last one academic year and you should spend a lot of time on the project.

Project tied for first place with Arizona State University

Great summer internship for students

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

Great pay, hands on experience

Cons

Limited freedom, sometimes not enough work

Provide more duties

Worked at GORE for 8 years. It is an OK place to work...but funny reading ALL of these reviews which are very accurate!

Former Employee - Engineer in Elk Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Elk Mills, MD

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, people, and environment for the most part, vast array of products and positions, some opportunity for career growth. Family-style relaxed environment with smaller plants and headcounts, continuous extra curricular activities enpowers team morale. The benefits are good, but not great.

Cons

'Culture' used as a tool, extreme nepotism/favoritism, cliques, self-promoting 'best place to work' campaign to counter comparatively low pay, peers-ranking-peers system is a popularity contest, 'good ole boy' network makes it more difficult for experienced new hires to contribute, politics, extra marital affairs, lack of quality senior leadership, and dated resources are all very true. Electronics Products Division (EPD) is and has been failing for years. Avoid that division if possible. Other businesses within such as Fabrics, Industrial, and Medical Products all do well for the company.

Evolve resources and the culture before it hinders the company any more than it already does. Retain employees by paying them based on merit- not kin, relationships, or popularity. Self promotion campaign of best place to work does not compensate for lower wages.

Vaunted culture is not practiced the same throughout the organization

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

Enterprise genuinely cares about associates. The Bill Gore designed culture can allow for contributing to the success of the enterprise outside of one's comfort zone. Many opportunities to grow one's skill set and learn new things.

Cons

Extremely clannish organization with a lack of transparency. Lack of strong leadership. Culture is too often used as a means for decision makers and leadership to hide from their decisions. Too much emphasis on quick win/short term solutions. Long term goals are viewed as somebody else's problem.

Leadership needs to support their own decisions and those working to make those decisions successful.

Good place to work if you are happy coasting through life

Former Employee - Clinical Affairs in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Clinical Affairs in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

Very laid back and family friendly, low pressure, light workload. Lots of trust in the individual and strong development opportunities. If you are happy chugging along in stump pulling gear and have no desire to work hard and be rewarded, this is the perfect place to work.

Cons

Maybe Gore used to live what they preach, but that was not my experience. Leadership based on followership- not even close in my previous area. Internally fair and externally competitive pay - even less the case. Having to rank fellow associates and calling it "objective" is just plain stupid in certain fields.

After working for 2 years at Gore I left not know what leadership actually does and felt that at best they do nothing substantial at all. Do something that actually affects your associates

Things just seems to get worse. Leadership breaks promises and makes poor decisions.

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

The benefits are really good

Cons

Bad leadership, feeling of being underpaid for amount of work done, the "culture" is hard to believe in

Make better decisions, hire competent workers