W.L. Gore

Updated December 17, 2014
3.5

W.L. Gore CEO Terri Kelly
Terri Kelly

Pros
  • work-life balance is (or was) excellent - better than any other company I've worked for (in 38 reviews)

• Great people and diverse product portfolio (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation lower than expected, especially for a city with such a high cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of new hires with little experience (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best companies I have ever worked for!

Former Employee - Field Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Field Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The culture and working conditions are great. Compensation is fair. Benefits are world class with many opportunities for growth. Vacation and leave are excellent.

Cons

Sometimes new product development is slow due to lack of qualified personnel in a given division. Mature product lines grow stale with customers, resulting in loss of business to competition. Leadership sometimes is out of touch with the "feet on the street".

Listen more closely to associates that are with customers on a daily basis.

Great place to work and to be recognized for your contribution and hard work.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

You make your own commitments
    Work life balance is understood and valued
    Great people
    Technology is amazing
    Continuously innovating and brining new meaningful products to the market place.
    I'm proud of the work I do, the good our products do for the world and that we are recognized as a company that cares
    Gore is one of the "Best Companues To Work For" for a reason - our products, our associates and our culture
    The culture is not a "cult" its a "guide" - a guide on how to make money for the company and function within a team oriented environment
    The people are great - it's very common for any associate to be able to walk through their home plant and know almost everyone they see by name.
    You know what they do and how they can help get things done
    Most of the people you work with are consider friends, to the point that many associates do things together outside of work.
    There are many activities and company based sports where plants compete against each other - Vollyball, Soccer and Softball to name a few.
    The company has a very diverse portfolio and is very profitable.
    Valueable products area supported, less valuable products are not and eventually discontinued
    There is a substantial investment in R&D with new products being launched on a regular basis
    Leaders emerge from the team and earn followership.
    In the rare event that leaders are put into a position, they still need to earn followership. Leaders that do not earn follower ship are not leaders for too long.
    Terry Kelly - our president - is a true story of success. She started in the company as a fresh out engineer and through proven result oriented successes over many years earn the respect and followership to allow for promotion to lead opt he enterprise.

Cons

Gore is not petfect - what company is - but Gore as a whole is a pretty amazing place to work
    Anyone at Gore could leave and make a little more money someplace else
    The overall Compensation package is very fair
    Your salary is most likely average as compared to external benchmarks but the ASOP and Benefits help to close any gap.
    Retirement benefits could be strengthened
    If your only driven by the money you may be at Gore for more than few years
    The biggest con I see is that the company is not for everyone
    If you are self motivated, can work within a team environment and strive for success then you will do great.
    If you are the type of person that needs a lot of directing or told what to do you will not like the Gore work environment.

Continue to promote from within
    Continue to embrace the roots that made the company a success - teamwork, innovation and personal accountability to doing a great job every day.

Gore itself is probably a nice company to work for, but the Jersey Shore plant is not one of them.

Former Employee - Associate in Wall, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate in Wall, NJ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is not bad. They have great benefits. Some people are great to work with and for. They make some cutting edge products.

Cons

This really is a good place to work, This really is a good place to work. Thought maybe if I said it a couple of times I might start to believe it. Didn't work

I enjoyed going to work and I felt like maybe I was making a difference in someones life, until I realized they didn't really care if they were making quality products or not, as long as they can justify keeping their jobs and the numbers are met. There's a lot of fall guys before they get to them

First problem is -Management shoves the culture down your throat , when most of them have no idea what the culture really is all about. (I don't think any of them even practice it.)

Second problem-Raises are based on popularity not on merit. Some associates are reprimanded for their mistakes while others are overlooked for doing the same things. If you bring it to anyones attention you're told don't worry about them it's your mistakes you need to worry about ( Which again shows everything is based on popularity) Once they decide you're one of the undesirables you are treated like second class citizens. You're no longer offered such things as overtime,joining any of their committees or even changing commitments.
    Management begins to talk badly to each other about you and to your fellow associates. And this always seems to get back to the person.
    Some associates work very hard while some hardly work "this also was brought to management's attention and nothing was done about it. Then you start wondering why should I work so hard.

Third mistake- As this is a buy out company most of the management came with the company.Don't believe the old company had very high standards in place for advancement within the company. I don't feel that most of them should have been kept on as management.

Parent company really needs to step in and clean house.They always say "you can't be a leader without followers" they need to see how many people would follow the management they have in place now. They also have to realize that they may act like they care if their products are of good quality but this is really not the truth. Numbers are what matters.

Manufacturing

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

The ASOP retirement plan Gore offers in addition to its 401k with no match to the associate is first class. They match your vacation upon entering the enterprise. There are highly skilled, hard working folks at this facility. Many great people.

Cons

The Jersey Shore facility wasn't a very desirable experience for me. Upon entering, everything seemed wonderful. Pay was fair and benefits were well above average. I was very excited. The work was fun. I took pride in what I did. I was very competent in my role. It didn't take long for those feelings to change. When entering Gore, you are first introduced to the Culture in which the company lives by. You are basically forced to embody the Culture. You are also repeatedly told the Gore is the best organization there is and Gore only chooses the best. When a lie is told over and over again, it becomes the truth. The truth is, it is a lie. The culture, which is a wonderful idea, does not exist. Leaders/management, do not embody the culture themselves. In fact, they trample on it and use it against the associate. I have worked for two other organizations in my lifetime. World class, Fortune 500 companies, without such a culture. I was treated better and much respected. At Gore, associate treatment is no good. Associates are subjected to consequences if they are minutes late to work and do not take exact duration breaks altogether as a team. Production numbers are strictly monitored and maximum capacity is expected at all times. There are windows overlooking the cleanrooms/work area where upper leadership watches associates work. They question you if you get up from your workspace and briefly speak with another associate other than a leader. Bathroom breaks are not restricted, but they are frowned upon if it is not on your specified break times or lunch. The entry doors and infrared camera systems are closely monitored. The badges in which you scan with upon entering and exiting the facility are watched and records are kept on associates. The Jersey Shore facility reminds me of the book written by George Orwell, 1984. Even though I was a good worker, never really took sick time, didn't engage in any trouble, I felt extremely uncomfortable. I stayed in line and did just as they wanted. I felt degraded. I felt like a robot. I felt like I was just a number. I felt discomfort when passing leadership in the hallways and cafeteria. I knew this type of environment was not suited for me. I knew of and have experienced better. I knew of other organizations that didn't preach of Freedom, Fairness, Equality and didn't tell me how wonderful they were. Other organizations didn't mandate such a culture on me. Granted, no place will ever be perfect. Every place will have its level of bureaucracy. But Gore is something I've never seen the likes of. I miss some of the people. I miss the ASOP. But I'm much happier now. I'm treated good again. I'm working hard and acknowledged for it. My days are enjoyable at work and home. I feel relaxed. I just hope one day, headquarters looks more into what's actually going on at the facility rather than the monetary value it provides them with. The facility is no doubt lean and profitable, but at what costs?

Very social workplace -- It can be fun but it's not for everybody.

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

Many associates genuinely care about each other much more than any other company I've worked for. If you're in the right team within Gore, it's a ton of fun and the business results can be amazing.

Cons

Long term personal growth seems to be tied to impressions of leadership rather than a focus on results. I've seen many people advance without really ever having a significant business contribution.

Some of the most genuine/caring people I've ever met (except a few outliers)

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

People around you genuinely care about your personal satisfaction and growth, they try to point you in the right direction, nudge you when you need it, help you when you're struggling, and try to make opportunities for you.

Cons

Decision making for high priority projects is an excruciatingly slow and messy process. Only a handful of knowledgeable people around a room full of opinions make this a dreadful process. Ownership of decisions is diluted with teams of leaders trying to make a decision - if it goes well (happens rarely) then everyone is happy, otherwise everyone points the finger at everyone else.

I've only heard stories of "the good old days" when Bill or Bob Gore roamed the halls... In my opinion, I believe the company did so well in that era is because of a leader (with his name on the front door) who could own his decisions and not have to worry about getting it wrong. Bring back the decision making ability to the people who are making the products or the processes - let these guys have the ability to change the paradigm.

Great Company for learning and development with opportunities to expand and try new things.

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Gore is great. There is flexibility in work schedule. There is no specific show up time. I work forty hours in a week and have the rest of my week to do what I want. I decide what I work on (within business needs) and have the flexibility to explore and learn. I am able to feel like what I do makes a difference and that I am accomplishing something. It is great to be able to interface with so many people on a regular basis.

Cons

Projects tend to move slowly due to the amount of people that have to buy in before moving forward with any changes. This can be frustrating if you like getting things done quickly

Great place to learn, not a place to retire

Former Employee - Business Leader in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Business Leader in Newark, DE

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible job, ease of moving to different roles in the company.
    They have a great training program for product managers.
    Base compensation was in-line with industry peers, a bit short on performance bonus

Cons

better enjoy the culture, it is everywhere, think cult. you must demonstrate you "fit" if you want to get promoted
    promotions often turn into popularity contests rather than being based on merit

Nice place to work for

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The lattice structured organization is great for people who are self-motivated and anti-micromanagement. Work-life balance is unbeatable. For young engineers, it is a nice place to start a career because Gore likes to grow the leaders internally.

Cons

Career paths for skilled/seasoned professionals are limited. People skills rather than technical skills are more appreciated.

It will be nice to have a clear rewarding system to reward people who truly contribute to the company's creative technologies.

MPD

Former Employee - Associate in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, profit share, ASOP, ranking process and facilities top my list as positives. The earlier Gore, 1990's and early 2000, was the place to work where fairness and lattice were guiding principals. Stretching the imagination and the value of associate input was appreciated and encouraged. Associates loved going to work and being associated with the name W. L. Gore. Back then, associates wanted to do even more for the company and for healthcare as a whole - not so much for themselves.

Cons

Definite hierarchy while boasting lattice structure. Leaders are royalty (some boarder on bullying) and possess way too much power. Gone are the days of pride, contribution, fairness and freedom. They've been replaced by bullying, a hierarchy structure and using the Contribution/Compensation process as a tool for leadership to lift themselves and others to the top of the list. Used to be the contributor's input was guarded - not so now. I've seen fellow associates input brought back to them by leadership and questioned. Definitely not the company it used to be. Now with the loss to Bard, this company of the 1990's and early 2000's will no doubt cease to exist.

Listen to what the average associate is saying regarding how they're treated by their superiors. Also, try to remember when "The Gore Culture" meant something and was of value. Reinstate the value of associate input during Contribution/Compensation to what it used to be. Don't forget that lattice, freedom, fairness and contribution/compensation were what built W. L. Gore & Associates to the company you have today.