W.L. Gore Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
3.5

W.L. Gore CEO Terri Kelly
Terri Kelly

Pros
  • Unbeatable work/life balance; best coworkers you'll ever work with (in 34 reviews)

• Great people and diverse product portfolio (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation lower than expected, especially for a city with such a high cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, politics, arrogant leadership, hypocrisy (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice Place to Work

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

The company culture is strange, frustrating, and exciting. While there are challenges, you always have the ability to impact the company in a positive way. Leaders are typically grown organically, although there are politics as in every company.

Cons

Many associates don't have much experience outside of Gore. It can be a challenge to discuss or suggest industry best practices due to belief that Gore's practices are better.

Good experience, but tinged with negativity

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relaxed work environment, no dress code, loosely choose working schedule, freedom to do pretty much whatever floats your boat.

Cons

Lots of cliques, politics, good old boy's club, localism, and the pay sucks. Due to lack of heirarchy there are no promotions, and thus no way to make stepwise changes to your salary. After 5 years I was still making $69k as a mechanical engineer, whereas my peers working at other companies quickly surpassed me. When I finally decided to leave I immediately got a $20k salary increase while still staying in Flagstaff. New ideas are quashed by the old timers who want to retire comfortably without having to gain any new knowledge. This kind of environment is a killer for young talent wanting to stay current with industry standards. New talent is better off staying for a few years to get it on the resume, and then leaving before they stagnate and become useless elsewhere.

Pay more competitively, promote new ideas, try to be a little more up with the times by promoting the ideas of the next generation of engineers.

W.L. Gore & Associates is a great place to work, it truly is an innovating company.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Operator  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Sponsorship is a strong attribute of this company. The want to see others succeed, grow and develop is apparent. The lattice is a great way for associates to have the freedom to approach any level of management and discuss any subject of concern or ideas.

Cons

People skills are a must for this company and also having the ability to receive and give positive and negative feedback. sometimes this is not always done in "best practice", such as direct one-to-one communication.

Compensation does not always have to be a monetary gain. A "thank you" or a pat on the back, no matter what the job title can go a very long way. Take the time to know who is working towards the same goal as you are for the enterprise.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great but very long process

Current Employee - Sourcing  in  Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Sourcing in Newark, DE

I have been working at W.L. Gore as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom is exception for me

Cons

technology issues plague me all the time.

less meetings

Still a great culture - they care about their people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Elkton, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkton, MD

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Culture, Work - Life Balance, Technology

Cons

If you have weak leaders the culture really suffers

Get out on the production floor more!

One of the best companies to work for in this area.

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

Great culture, associates, work place and ethics.

Cons

Slow to receive compensation based on contribution.

Great learning environment for intern

Current Employee - R&D Intern  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - R&D Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at W.L. Gore as an intern for less than a year

Pros

During my internship, I was exposed to many different facets of the company, even getting to travel to the corporate headquarters in Flagstaff, AZ for a country-wide internship meeting.

Great collaborative culture where work/life balance is respected. Hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Bigger-company feel where things move somewhat slowly. Not as fast-paced an environment as a startup might be, but to be fair, it's probably faster than the giant companies.

No longer the company Bill Gore started.

Former Employee - Clinical Specialist
    Former Employee - Clinical Specialist

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good salary and benefits ,company car. Company credit card for expenses. Vacation. Started out as a company that had open lines of communication. Latticework mentality

Cons

Latticework of communication is gone. Micro management. Good ole boy system in place.
    No work life balance in the field at all. Management will grind you down and replace you with some one else. No job security.

Be aware of how people are being treated in the field. Things are not the same in the field as they are in the home office.

Interesting place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time for more than a year

Pros

It depends on the individual, if you can work effectively without direction, and with ambiguous goals, you might really like it here. The culture is interesting, and can be an asset, but it is not utilized by every department, and varies quite a bit from plant to plant.

Cons

Something of a popularity contest at times, the feedback you receive can be quite inaccurate and harsh. The culture is both an asset and a hindrance. I really don't know how to rate it. I have noticed a number of people complain that Gore says one thing and does another...frequently.

Need to bring in some experienced persons and start running like a normal company.

Full time

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are very good.

Cons

Below average compensation with no increases.

Worked for W.L. Gore? Contribute to the Community!