W.L. Gore

Updated January 15, 2015
3.6

W.L. Gore CEO Terri Kelly
Terri Kelly

Pros
  • work-life balance is (or was) excellent - better than any other company I've worked for (in 38 reviews)

• Great people and diverse product portfolio (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation lower than expected, especially for a city with such a high cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of new hires with little experience (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Engineer in Elkton, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Elkton, MD

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of emphasis given on personal development and growth. Lot of freedom to move around within company and how your job can be done. Lot of trust given on the employees.

Cons

Sometimes within few groups there can be politics. This is typical for any organization and is not unique to Gore.

Best place to work

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are very open to new ideas. It is easy to reach out and engage other functions. I really enjoy most of the people I work with. Most of the time, I am having fun at work while working. Most of the time I feel valued for what I do by those I work with. I feel supported by leadership.

Cons

It is at times, difficult to figure out how to move a project or idea to fruition. It can be difficult to motivate people who are unwilling to motivate themselves. At times, group initiatives are not clearly articulated.

At times group initiatives and directions or goals are not clearly articulated.

A Company with a culture all of it's own

Former Employee - Global Leader
    Former Employee - Global Leader

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Well funded research programs that allow Gore to make products that really do meet the claimed performance. This approach ensures scientists and technologists are really valued at Gore.
    Small teams that offer individuals freedom to perform well and be recognized for that performance.
    Diverse divisions and locations allows flexibility and many opportunities to change and be promoted to different roles.
    Great ASOP and benefits packages.

Cons

The Gore flat lattice structure falls apart with ineffective leaders and this can cause non-productive teams and projects.
    An acute "Gore culture" makes it difficult for new employees because of the "not invented here" default of long time Gore employees
    For individuals who prefer a clearly identified leadership structure and open corporate politics the invisible hierarchy and Gore culture may become a barrier to feeling comfortable and performing at an optimum level. This is referred to the as hitting the wall at Gore and means many new employees leave around the 2 year mark when they cannot or chose not to push through this wall

The Worst place to work

Former Employee - Direct Labor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Direct Labor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The manufacturing staff are hard working. Good benefits.

Cons

The company lacks the ability to fire the leadership in its Phoenix cluster. During the down turn in the economy W L Gore started building in the northern Phoenix area. They hired a huge amount of new people to run the new plants. The hiring team were more worried about hiring people that talked the talk instead of hiring Gore type people that would fit in to the company. The people they hired were used to playing dirty and corporate games. These people came from failed or failing companies. Gore lacks the ability to deal with people with bad intentions since they are a company founded on trust. The founders of the company would be very sad to see the dream they worked so hard for turn in to such a awful place.

The company talks about profit sharing but it never happens. The culture is used has a tool to harm fellow associates and to keep people down. The culture was once used to build a great company that is now a toxic turn over machine. The Phoenix cluster is well known for being the worst place in all of Gore to work. It is joked about in fact from the people from the northern cluster in Flagstaff and California. The associate turn over and the hiring of workers who do not mind starting in the very low teens for pay has truly harmed the companies long term view.

The bosses or "leaders" fight for power and lack basic knowledge of the staff and product. The focus of leadership is now to meet numbers and quantity instead of quality. You might notice the lack of diversity in the Phoenix management. Most of the people are to afraid to speak up because of the bullying and payback.

Clean house in Phoenix. Follow though on things. The high turn over is resulting from poor leadership and the people who keep those leaders in those roles. Stop letting the people that stand up for the company and culture be bullied and attacked.

Ok place, but Low pay

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

Great work life balance. Great People (mostly)

Cons

Pay is quite a bit lower than average

Review pay vs experience for experienced folks.

Extremely motivating company to work for

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

They really focus on each and every associate to become self-motivation

Cons

The laid back culture sometimes means projects become delayed

Great place to work and to be recognized for your contribution and hard work.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

You make your own commitments
    Work life balance is understood and valued
    Great people
    Technology is amazing
    Continuously innovating and brining new meaningful products to the market place.
    I'm proud of the work I do, the good our products do for the world and that we are recognized as a company that cares
    Gore is one of the "Best Companues To Work For" for a reason - our products, our associates and our culture
    The culture is not a "cult" its a "guide" - a guide on how to make money for the company and function within a team oriented environment
    The people are great - it's very common for any associate to be able to walk through their home plant and know almost everyone they see by name.
    You know what they do and how they can help get things done
    Most of the people you work with are consider friends, to the point that many associates do things together outside of work.
    There are many activities and company based sports where plants compete against each other - Vollyball, Soccer and Softball to name a few.
    The company has a very diverse portfolio and is very profitable.
    Valueable products area supported, less valuable products are not and eventually discontinued
    There is a substantial investment in R&D with new products being launched on a regular basis
    Leaders emerge from the team and earn followership.
    In the rare event that leaders are put into a position, they still need to earn followership. Leaders that do not earn follower ship are not leaders for too long.
    Terry Kelly - our president - is a true story of success. She started in the company as a fresh out engineer and through proven result oriented successes over many years earn the respect and followership to allow for promotion to lead opt he enterprise.

Cons

Gore is not petfect - what company is - but Gore as a whole is a pretty amazing place to work
    Anyone at Gore could leave and make a little more money someplace else
    The overall Compensation package is very fair
    Your salary is most likely average as compared to external benchmarks but the ASOP and Benefits help to close any gap.
    Retirement benefits could be strengthened
    If your only driven by the money you may be at Gore for more than few years
    The biggest con I see is that the company is not for everyone
    If you are self motivated, can work within a team environment and strive for success then you will do great.
    If you are the type of person that needs a lot of directing or told what to do you will not like the Gore work environment.

Continue to promote from within
    Continue to embrace the roots that made the company a success - teamwork, innovation and personal accountability to doing a great job every day.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opinions of all associates on a team matter. Leadership is working hard to move the company forward by creating more organized approaches and sharing best practices and ideas across the company.

Cons

Teams are not consistent in how associates are treated. Some associates feel a sense of entitlement.

One of the best companies I have ever worked for!

Former Employee - Field Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Field Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The culture and working conditions are great. Compensation is fair. Benefits are world class with many opportunities for growth. Vacation and leave are excellent.

Cons

Sometimes new product development is slow due to lack of qualified personnel in a given division. Mature product lines grow stale with customers, resulting in loss of business to competition. Leadership sometimes is out of touch with the "feet on the street".

Listen more closely to associates that are with customers on a daily basis.

Gore itself is probably a nice company to work for, but the Jersey Shore plant is not one of them.

Former Employee - Associate in Wall, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate in Wall, NJ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is not bad. They have great benefits. Some people are great to work with and for. They make some cutting edge products.

Cons

This really is a good place to work, This really is a good place to work. Thought maybe if I said it a couple of times I might start to believe it. Didn't work

I enjoyed going to work and I felt like maybe I was making a difference in someones life, until I realized they didn't really care if they were making quality products or not, as long as they can justify keeping their jobs and the numbers are met. There's a lot of fall guys before they get to them

First problem is -Management shoves the culture down your throat , when most of them have no idea what the culture really is all about. (I don't think any of them even practice it.)

Second problem-Raises are based on popularity not on merit. Some associates are reprimanded for their mistakes while others are overlooked for doing the same things. If you bring it to anyones attention you're told don't worry about them it's your mistakes you need to worry about ( Which again shows everything is based on popularity) Once they decide you're one of the undesirables you are treated like second class citizens. You're no longer offered such things as overtime,joining any of their committees or even changing commitments.
    Management begins to talk badly to each other about you and to your fellow associates. And this always seems to get back to the person.
    Some associates work very hard while some hardly work "this also was brought to management's attention and nothing was done about it. Then you start wondering why should I work so hard.

Third mistake- As this is a buy out company most of the management came with the company.Don't believe the old company had very high standards in place for advancement within the company. I don't feel that most of them should have been kept on as management.

Parent company really needs to step in and clean house.They always say "you can't be a leader without followers" they need to see how many people would follow the management they have in place now. They also have to realize that they may act like they care if their products are of good quality but this is really not the truth. Numbers are what matters.