W.L. Gore Reviews

Reset
3.5
W.L. Gore CEO Terri Kelly
Terri Kelly

Pros
  • Company promotes healthy work / life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Great people and diverse product portfolio (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Lackluster vacation time benefits for new hires or those who negotiate poorly with HR (in 7 reviews)

• Change is not welcome - older employees tend to fear new ideas that are being brought onto the table (in 7 reviews)

1. Rising senior summer intern

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

Gore prides itself on promoting individual freedom and responsibility. People work in teams and even as an intern, I was expected to drive my project and thus contribute to the company's success almost as if I were a regular associate. My sponsors and everyone else I worked with were extremely helpful and provided guidance when necessary. They never gave me answers, but they helped at the critical times, whether it was analyzing an academic problem or networking within the company to find someone who would be helpful to talk to. At Gore, I not only did a lot of things, but I learned a lot of things; sometimes you will teach your fellow employees, sometimes they will teach you. This fluidity is central to the company.

Cons

The transfer of knowledge can be slow and although talking with individuals is always a positive experience, it isn't always an efficient one. People take vacations, go to meetings, get sick, etc., which can sometimes hinder your own work. On the other hand, people are normally good about trying to stay updated on emails even while away, and it also isn't uncommon for associates to share their phone numbers.

Advice to Management

Gore's business model has been criticized almost since its inception as unsustainable. Gore has spent the time since then proving that they can indeed grow with a small teams-focused business, but it must also be noted that there is a lot of room for improvement. Primarily, this is in the way that information is transferred. It would be ideal if there were a way to map the network of knowledge so it would be easier to know who to contact for certain information.

2. Assembly

Former Employee - Quality Control in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Quality Control in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, hours, pay, overtime and training

Cons

Culture, little chance of advancement, comrodery

3. warehouse

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore (More than 5 years)

Pros

really a great culture company

Cons

very hard to advance in this company

5. Worth it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

Great work, mostly great people

Cons

some coworkers are overpaid and over-entitled

6. Great place

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

They truly care about people and invest in career and personal growth of associates. For the most part, they hire extremely talented people that are smart and genuine.

Cons

The no title thing gets old and adds confusion around role clarity. I still think the lattice would work despite better defining roles and titles.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus more on diversity in leadership and the culture. It is what makes Gore a unique place to work and it is what retains talent.

It's okay

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great..depending on what business you work for. GORE does allow you to get all training necessary to do your job

Cons

The hidden pay scale is a joke. your associate that does the same job can make almost twice what you do. They have an anonymous review every year, but they ask questions, like your age, race, salary, business...not very anonymous

Advice to Management

Go back to basics. Keep manufacturing jobs in the US. If you claim to be a lattice structure than truly be that. The foundation is there for this company to be great again

8. Finance Manager

Current Employee - Director of Finance in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Director of Finance in Newark, DE

I have been working at W.L. Gore (More than 8 years)

Pros

fairness, flat organization, direct communication, culture

Cons

political system, not very direct communication, organization style

9. Great place to work (product development engineer)

Current Employee - Project Manager in Elkton, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Elkton, MD

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse opportunities for career paths. Good work/life balance. Actual focus by leadership on values and their employees

Cons

Lots of meetings - but that's the price to pay for inclusiveness of input

A failed culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are lots of good, capable folks who have a lot to offer the future growth of this company. Most of the workers are certainly open to helping each other out. The products are what has historically lead to the company's success.

Cons

The leadership operate an archaic 'jobs for the boys' basis with no possibility of real career progression unless you 'suck up' and 'put up' for a very long time. If you are truly talented or want to be the best of the best you will NOT succeed in this company unless you find out who the 'in crowd' are and become a sicafantic yes person to all of them. Truly talented young folks have to leave to progress their careers and truly talented experienced hires get crushed after being told over and over "we don't do it that way", "you don't understand our culture", "I'll get back to you". Tried and tested best market practice, market standards and experience gained outside this company carry zero weight inside. Those starting out of school run the risk of learning too many bad habits never being able to work elsewhere and those who are experienced run the risk of becoming unmarketable as they fall behind market practice.

Advice to Management

Listen to those who want to invade, listen to those who have experience and knowledge. Replace your management team with one that is appropriate for leading a company of this size in the 21st century. Hire people who will inspire, inovate and attract followers, this is not grade school.

Leader

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

Company very focused on Lean Manufacturing and Continuous Improvement. Company strives to promote and practice the Culture. Always thinking and operating with the Long term view in mind.

Cons

Do not address poor performance in a timely manner. Also, not a lot of promoting within the organization.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing but take more time to grow within the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed