W. R. Berkley Reviews

W. R. Berkley CEO and Chairman William R. Berkley
William R. Berkley

1. Great company with few cons

I have been working at W. R. Berkley

Pros

I work as an underwriter for this company. Here is a snap shot of the good things: Above average industry pay; flexible work hours; room for growth; management considers ideas you have to improve the workflow/company

Cons

A fair amount of "dead weight" in the company--this is mainly because the company offers good perks so no one leaves. Most, if not all, managers are males; corporate culture & vision some times differ from managers

Advice to Management

Offer bonuses to reward the hard workers

2. examiner

I have been working at W. R. Berkley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

profit sharing; flex time; casual dress

Cons

no growth potential; no salary increases; no job satisfaction; top heavy; not enough trench workers; 19th century technology inefficient work flow; micro managing management; very limited authority/no; no cross training; inefficient use of resources.

Advice to Management

improvement needed

3. Not a typical insurance company.

I have been working at W. R. Berkley

Pros

Laid back yet professional atmosphere. Good benefits and vacation time. The people are great and most of the managers are in tune with the employees.

Cons

Poor pay. No bonuses: ever. Limited upward mobility and room for growth. They claim to hire from within but a lot of the positions go to outside individuals.

Advice to Management

When you push for growth development, please make sure there are opportunities for advancement within the company. And please reward your employees with bonuses on occasion.

5. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Underwriter in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at W. R. Berkley

Pros

A lot of opportunity and growth, fair compensation, education rebate is reasonable and very helpful.

Cons

Corporate communication not always great.

6. A great place to make a difference.

I have been working at W. R. Berkley full-time

Pros

Definitely not your grandfather's insurance company. This organization has plenty of opportunity, excellent people and vision. If you want to make a difference - get on board!

Cons

Be ready to think, innovate and put it into overdrive. Not a place for the rest and vest crowd.

Advice to Management

Consider company-wide career postings for those on the move or looking to move.

7. Highly recommend

I have been working at W. R. Berkley full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Flexible - whether you need time off or want to change your work schedule
    - Compensation & benefits - good - annual bonus into 401k if you contribute to one & a good number of days off out of the gate
    - Hardworking but fun environment
    - Casual dress code (jeans)
    - A lot of promotions from within - management does their best to retain top talent
    - Fun events throughout the year
    - Free gym
    - Exceptional co-workers

Cons

- They can be a little set in their ways and antiquated with some things (i.e. telecommuting, time off, etc.)
    - The rules/policies are created in HR but each manager can do as they see fit with their employees and this tends to create animosity (it's the "not fair" game)
    - We seem to pull the trigger on things before we have them fully baked which in turn causes problems and wastes time

8. Not somewhere that cares about your well being

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at W. R. Berkley as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't say any except the pay rate was high as a contractor.

Cons

The environment was losing employees. The one coworker I worked with (I was on overnight) seemed to dedicate a lot of his time to warning people away from the company. He stated he had recently gone out sick due to overworking and the only response from the company was he needed to take better care of himself.

He also spent a lot of his time and energy yelling and talking about how he had invaluable experience since he had worked for a fortune 500 company before going there.

I was hired for a particular shift and that quickly changed. When I contacted management that working 13 hours overnight on my first week, and not getting the 2 weeks training they had initially stated I would receive (and getting yelled at on my second day that I should be an expert at that point and working solo) was creating a safety concern for me they responded with what amounted to "If you can't do it, we'll get someone who can."

I left as at this point in my life I consider my own safety and sense of respect important. If you do too, I'd keep that in mind when you are considering your options.

Advice to Management

Consider the life on an employee important.

Whether it is a contractor who raised concerns about the length of a shift and the working environment or a FTE who goes out sick from what they say is from overworking.

Not everyone can endure or wants the life you lead.

9. good company

I have been working at W. R. Berkley full-time

Pros

good benefit package, easy-going colleagues

Cons

limited vacation time, need a long tenure to have 15 days

AVP, UNDERWRITER

Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at W. R. Berkley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is Growth focused and has above average compensation... Good work environment overall and each specialty company

Cons

Overwhelming work load with a lack of commitment from unit president to get additional resources... Different tele commute policy for each employee

Worst working experience I have ever had - terrible company due to management and employees.

I worked at W. R. Berkley full-time

Pros

There are nice perks at the holidays.

Cons

There is a lot of backstabbing and competetiveness amongst employees. There is not a team atmosphere or mentality. The people who work there are not trustworthy.

Advice to Management

Do what you promise to your employees and don't talk behind their backs to subordinates.