W. R. Grace

Be The First To
Add Photos

W. R. Grace Chairman, President, and CEO Fred Festa

Fred Festa

Pros
  • Lots of good people to work with(in 4 reviews)

• Great people to work with and people committed to the company(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Many in middle management have been put in jobs that they are not qualified to do(in 4 reviews)

• Chapter 11 not huge problem-- but still something that you have to explain(in 3 reviews)

Excellent company to work for!

Plant Administrator (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThey care about employees, offer advancement, education reimbursement, excellent benefits.

ConsThey relocated the manufacturing operations from Milwaukee to Chicago. I understood the financial reasons, but it was disappointing to lose a job I loved.

Marketing Leadership Program is really not a leadership program

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCompensation and benefits are good. Comfortable life if you land a position since people have been working on an average over 15 years in the same company!

ConsCommon big corporation politics.
    As the only MkLP for the year I expected WR Grace to place me outside USA (when my H1B visa application was not selected in lottery) since it operates in over 40 countries. However, hiring freeze lead to no headcount for a leadership program participant worldwide!
    Leadership participants looked at as interns or people requiring another MBA program/heavy training needs, within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrong leadership & more importance to marketing.
    Communication between divisions and geographies.
    Need to look at companies such as Eastman Chemical & CIGNA who value their leadership participants & employees & treat their leadership program as a pipeline for true future leaders.

Not good.

Chemist (Former Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsBenefits including pension and 401K.

ConsMiddle management is incompetent at best. At the worst, some are unethical. I have seen a manager destroy departments because of incompetence, losing good conscientious employees because they cannot stomach watching it. Too many people advanced because upper management is unaware of their incompetence.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees feedback about middle management. Do more research. Don't buy everything middle managers tell you. Solicit long time employee feedback.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, Productivity driven and focused on Sales Growth

Global Industry Manager (Current Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsThe people at the company are great. For the most part the hours are flexible adn the work is challenging. The company is focused on alot of training and making the employee aware of safety.

ConsThere aren't too many growth opportunities to the true workers for the company. That is unfortunate. Most of the workers are rated in reviews and those reviews may not tell the true story of an employees efforts. We are very top heavy when it comes to the types of jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the peple who are working day in and out for upward management growth. Promotion opportunities need to be made to the mid line workers.

Long time employee

ProsLots of good people to work with

ConsVery slow to move on decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementHR is Grace's IRS

DROP IN 1Q EARNINGS

Paralegal (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsTo much big salaries and perks for the big boys

ConsThe profits did not drop in the 1Q, that was the big bonuses they paid out to the CEO's and all the big boys at the top merging out from bankruptcy. But also remember the small hardworking employees at the bottom did not benefit by that. The small employees barely got a bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the small employees, Pay more attention. Crack down on managers who are not doing what they are paid to do. Stop giving them all company cars, black berries and I-phones, let them pay for their own like the other overworked employees, who gets nothing. Shame on the CEO.

STOP - stay away!

IT Department (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsOnly good as a career starting place to get some experience.

ConsThe company has been making and breaking promises for years now since filling bankruptcy.
    It used to be a career for life place to work but now you always have one foot out the door due to their management changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe HONEST for a change.

Great opportunities for building your own career.

ProsSmall enough to allow movement between functions and businesses, but large enough to have ample opportunities for advancement up Vice President level. Very dynamic structures create opportunities for career advancement. Great people to work with and people committed to the company.

ConsCompany has done a great job of growing earnings and now is working to grow revenue, this can be a difficult transition.

Very Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe employee safety is very important for the company

ConsThey do not pay over time when it is needed to pay

Great experience because I worked with great people.

Sales (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOverall, it was a very positive experience. Enjoyed my time there.

ConsTypical big company issues, sometimes lose sight of details.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsitency

Worked for W. R. Grace? Contribute to the Community!