W.W. Grainger Reviews

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Decent pay and benefits

Good work/ life balance including work from home

Cons

Very Cliquish - if you don't belong with the in crowd you'll feel like an outsider

Conservative environment - not a lot of fresh thinking

Try and be a little more forward thinking and less old school

I would say that my experience was negative

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Major corporation,Competitive Pay, Good Benefits, time-off policies

Cons

A lot of turn over and restructuring.

Management does need to focus on staying on track with account manager's personal growth

Amazing Experience

Former Intern - Ecommerce Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Ecommerce Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Grainger does a great job providing opportunities to its interns to interact with coworkers and upper management. They are a great example of a world class business that cares about the relationship it has with its employees.

In the eCommerce department, I was able to feel part of something much bigger than I could have ever imagined. Having the opportunity to work on projects of various scopes helped make the internship much more diverse and exciting as well.

Management is easily accessible and helpful throughout the entire program. Everyone in my office was very down-to-earth and made the internship that much more memorable.

Cons

While projects are varied, it may take some time to see changes occur due long development cycles. However, this is unavoidable and is normal in positions that have development cycles that require long development and QA/QC stages.

Keep at it! The program is amazing and garners plentiful opportunities to new people.

5. Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - Account Relationship Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Account Relationship Manager in Northbrook, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Profit Sharing. Work hours. Employees. Large catalog to engage customers. Location

Cons

Commission structure changed frequently along with new territories every year. Made it difficult to sustain relationships.

Stay true to your employee territories because the customers take note and are not happy with the frequent change of sales reps.

6. Productive and fast paced

Current Employee - Collections Coordinator in Niles, IL
    Current Employee - Collections Coordinator in Niles, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Healthcare, compensation, hours and PST

Cons

Off shoring of jobs, money driven in all decisions

Good Company that general care about employees

Current Employee - Territory Sales Associate in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Associate in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits package, PST, Fortune 500 company, Very dedicated to development, large companies with many opportunities to move up.

Cons

Intro Sales positions do not have the most competitive salaries. It's more difficult to move to a position once within the company than it is to get a position from outside the company.

Love the company but they force you to hate them and the job. Government Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and Personal Time off. Lots of room to advance if you make the right connections. This place could be great if you'd get out of your own greedy way.

Cons

As an Account Manager, you grow your business but they give you two goal increases per year which makes it impossible to be 100%+ to goal consistently. One year you can make 120K followed by only salary @ 60k. I've seen it before.

Understand you should be steadfast in your commitment to your sales force. There's more to success than your stockholders and all your damn sales projection reports. If you build your territory, why in the hell would you expect that person to make less? Shame on you for forcing good employees to seek employment elsewhere.

You'll either love it or hate it.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

My role at Grainger is that of a TSR. There is a ton of opportunity here both within the role and within Grainger. From the get go you go through a period of training, and before you know it, you're out calling on clients. The role is largely consultative in nature. Much less going in and selling a product than trying to solve Inventory Management issues. The job also offers extreme flexibility in your work schedule. You're out on your own 90% of the time so you can largely pick and choose your own hours. This can change dramatically based on your manager's policies, however. The position definitely offers a lot of experience. In this role you'll develop skills related to sales strategy, communication, excel, forecasting, SalesForce, organization, and time management. This is a great position for someone who typically likes to work on their own, however if you reach out people are always very willing to assist with anything. Also, this position requires that someone be very self motivated.

Cons

The training that you receive does not prepare you for all their is to know. I've been here for six months and I still feel completely lost about so many aspects of the role. Because you are never in an office or working with anyone, seeking help is a chore all on it's own, and due to how busy you can get, often falls to the bottom of your list of priorities. The job is very lonely at times and there isn't much of a work culture in my experience. I see people from my team once every other week on average. The money is okay, but that's relative to your performance and your expectations going in. I believe on average, TSRs make about $45k, which is much less than i expected. Overall, if you're someone who thrives on collaboration, places importance on work culture, and may have a harder time producing high caliber work with no one to show it to/make sure that you do, then this job probably isn't for you.

There needs to be more training. It's crazy how much there is to learn in the role. Although I feel I learned a lot from training, it didn't REALLY prepare me for being out in my territory on my own.

10. Best company i ever worked for

Former Employee - TPS in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - TPS in Chicago, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

They treat you with respect and if you show interest in your own growth the company will show interest back in and help you grow

Cons

There is a handfull of negative people in different departmentys

Keep empowering your TMs like you are

11. Gave a lot and received a lot over the years.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Profit Sharing and vacation time.

Cons

Can be about who you know for advancement opportunities. Benefits can be better.

Continue to work on not just taking employee input surveys but more implementation of their ideas.

W.W. Grainger Photos

Outside a W.W. Grainger branch, this one located at 2915 Boardwalk Ann Arbor Michigan 48104-6765 (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Grainger Atrium
Grainger Industrial Supply (Photo thanks to Flickr user rbieber, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo