W.W. Grainger Reviews

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Decent pay and benefits

Good work/ life balance including work from home

Cons

Very Cliquish - if you don't belong with the in crowd you'll feel like an outsider

Conservative environment - not a lot of fresh thinking

Advice to Management

Try and be a little more forward thinking and less old school

2. Business System Analyst

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is very strong and stable. There are many people that have spent 25 or more years with the company.

Cons

The company tends to very conservative in the business risks it takes. Unless you have been with the company for more than a few years, your opinion may be discounted and seen as not acceptable in Grainger's way of doing things.

Advice to Management

Be bolder in the risks and endeavors that you are willing to pursue. If our industry is going to consolidate, as you have been saying it will, lead in that consolidation.

3. very bias and unfair

Current Employee - DC Associate in Minooka, IL
    Current Employee - DC Associate in Minooka, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay, profit sharing. benefits

Cons

I still haven't grasped the concept as to why inexperienced employees are moving up the ladder so quickly. This can be a very scary situation in the near future. As a stable company it is so risky to involve employees into higher positions that have no knowledge how to run a department let alone a business. Most of our managers are not well educated in this type of industry. This is a billion dollar industry and upper and lower mgmt has been making decisions that just are mind bottling. This is not a company to feel secure when employees are promoted by their friends. This company is very bias, racist, and male chauvinistic. But if you are in it for the long haul then stay quiet and don't cause attention to yourself. If you are the type to speak up then don't bank on moving up. Because it won't happen. Anytime an employee cut himself and not have to take a drug screening says a lot. or if one employees provokes another employee to be mean and gets promoted says a lot. They are not family oriented and have no structure. I feel sorry for the babies at Grainger because they will be raised to be corrupted and not able to think for themselves... Going back to the basics is out of the question as i have read other reviews, and mainly because of technology and the new "culture".. The new college grads have not a clue how to communicate with employees. Everything that comes up, there is always some fabrication involved. Even employee children that have been hired as temps only the Afro-Americans never made it as Grainger employees. Its very ridiculous as to the setup for success bs, because this company think investors are gonna keep investing they should have another thought .

Advice to Management

For some odd reason employees should be happy to work for you and help you meet these unrealistic goals, well don't loose any sleep on it.. because majority of them are only there for the income and benefits anyway and just to meet expectations and not go over and beyond. that whole scenario alone is hurtful to the ones that really work hard, because they won't be recognized anyway. make decisions based on work performance and not association. footnote: all Afro-Americans are not bad people because at the end of the day it takes a diversified culture to take any industry to the next level. This is for those who are suited for constructive criticism.

I would say that my experience was negative

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Major corporation,Competitive Pay, Good Benefits, time-off policies

Cons

A lot of turn over and restructuring.

Advice to Management

Management does need to focus on staying on track with account manager's personal growth

6. Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - Account Relationship Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Account Relationship Manager in Northbrook, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Profit Sharing. Work hours. Employees. Large catalog to engage customers. Location

Cons

Commission structure changed frequently along with new territories every year. Made it difficult to sustain relationships.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your employee territories because the customers take note and are not happy with the frequent change of sales reps.

Amazing Experience

Former Intern - Ecommerce Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Ecommerce Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Grainger does a great job providing opportunities to its interns to interact with coworkers and upper management. They are a great example of a world class business that cares about the relationship it has with its employees.

In the eCommerce department, I was able to feel part of something much bigger than I could have ever imagined. Having the opportunity to work on projects of various scopes helped make the internship much more diverse and exciting as well.

Management is easily accessible and helpful throughout the entire program. Everyone in my office was very down-to-earth and made the internship that much more memorable.

Cons

While projects are varied, it may take some time to see changes occur due long development cycles. However, this is unavoidable and is normal in positions that have development cycles that require long development and QA/QC stages.

Advice to Management

Keep at it! The program is amazing and garners plentiful opportunities to new people.

8. Productive and fast paced

Current Employee - Collections Coordinator in Niles, IL
    Current Employee - Collections Coordinator in Niles, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Healthcare, compensation, hours and PST

Cons

Off shoring of jobs, money driven in all decisions

Good Company that general care about employees

Current Employee - Territory Sales Associate in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Associate in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits package, PST, Fortune 500 company, Very dedicated to development, large companies with many opportunities to move up.

Cons

Intro Sales positions do not have the most competitive salaries. It's more difficult to move to a position once within the company than it is to get a position from outside the company.

Love the company but they force you to hate them and the job. Government Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and Personal Time off. Lots of room to advance if you make the right connections. This place could be great if you'd get out of your own greedy way.

Cons

As an Account Manager, you grow your business but they give you two goal increases per year which makes it impossible to be 100%+ to goal consistently. One year you can make 120K followed by only salary @ 60k. I've seen it before.

Advice to Management

Understand you should be steadfast in your commitment to your sales force. There's more to success than your stockholders and all your damn sales projection reports. If you build your territory, why in the hell would you expect that person to make less? Shame on you for forcing good employees to seek employment elsewhere.

You'll either love it or hate it.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

My role at Grainger is that of a TSR. There is a ton of opportunity here both within the role and within Grainger. From the get go you go through a period of training, and before you know it, you're out calling on clients. The role is largely consultative in nature. Much less going in and selling a product than trying to solve Inventory Management issues. The job also offers extreme flexibility in your work schedule. You're out on your own 90% of the time so you can largely pick and choose your own hours. This can change dramatically based on your manager's policies, however. The position definitely offers a lot of experience. In this role you'll develop skills related to sales strategy, communication, excel, forecasting, SalesForce, organization, and time management. This is a great position for someone who typically likes to work on their own, however if you reach out people are always very willing to assist with anything. Also, this position requires that someone be very self motivated.

Cons

The training that you receive does not prepare you for all their is to know. I've been here for six months and I still feel completely lost about so many aspects of the role. Because you are never in an office or working with anyone, seeking help is a chore all on it's own, and due to how busy you can get, often falls to the bottom of your list of priorities. The job is very lonely at times and there isn't much of a work culture in my experience. I see people from my team once every other week on average. The money is okay, but that's relative to your performance and your expectations going in. I believe on average, TSRs make about $45k, which is much less than i expected. Overall, if you're someone who thrives on collaboration, places importance on work culture, and may have a harder time producing high caliber work with no one to show it to/make sure that you do, then this job probably isn't for you.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more training. It's crazy how much there is to learn in the role. Although I feel I learned a lot from training, it didn't REALLY prepare me for being out in my territory on my own.

W.W. Grainger Photos

Outside a W.W. Grainger branch, this one located at 2915 Boardwalk Ann Arbor Michigan 48104-6765 (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Grainger Atrium
Grainger Industrial Supply (Photo thanks to Flickr user rbieber, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo