W.W. Grainger

W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Pros
  • Cohesive Strategy integrated throughout the company, Great Benefits (Profit Sharing(in 115 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case(in 13 reviews)

• Middle and upper management was very disappointing(in 16 reviews)

Leaders lack leadership qualities

Financial Shared Services Supervisor (Current Employee) Lake Forest, IL

ProsPST is great. It's the best in the industry. Where else can you get up to 20% of your salary (after being fully vested at 7 years; progressive growth in percent contribution) given to you annually for your retirement? Other benefits are comparable with the industry.

ConsI've had the opportunity to work in several functional areas around the company over the 6+ years I've been there and although each department had its own culture, one thing remained the same...big corporate politics ruled. If you enjoy having meetings to discuss the next meeting, and progress moves slower than snails, then you may like it here. Nothing moves fast here and it's likely because middle management doesn't have a clue. (Managers up to Directors) I've never worked for an organization as siloed as Grainger. Getting anything done requires talking to 7 or more people. Management is consistently turning over - likely the reason why they don't know anything - and people are promoted based on popularity, not fully on performance. In Supply Chain, they've had at least 5 Directors in the last for years. Where's the continuity? It's hard to follow a vision when there isn't one. In Product Management, arrogance rules. Everyone keeps info to themselves in hopes of being the one to have the "grand idea." Look out for yourself there because your DPP won't support you. In Credit/Collections, putting unqualified people in manager roles is the true theme there. They don't understand the concept of "it's a good thing to communicate with your direct staff of supervisors and indirect reports." Overall, the senior leaders (VP level and above) seem to get it. It's their direct staff who can't carry out the basic needs of managing their functional areas. Grainger offers a lot of job opportunities, but be forewarned, these jobs are very typically focused on one or two functions and are not wholistic like you may expect from a smaller company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to you teams, truly dig in and act on those action plans focused on improving our company's Employee Engagement Survey scores. People feel like numbers here. Depending on the role, balancing work and home life is a challenge. Stop "over engineering" everything and try making things simple!

Learning experience

Service Team Lead (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood pay and benefits for hourly employees.

ConsPoor career growth for women.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the "Good Ol' Boys Club".

Low commission structure

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat profit sharing program match!

ConsGoals change 2x per year and your opportunity to make above the $24,400 are slim! Make sure the recruiter you interview with fully understands the commission structure and can quantify where she is getting her figures. Chances are if you do well in the 1st half of the year your gaol will increase the 2nd half to make it almost unattainable. An average increase can range fom 12%-30% above your LY numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your compensation packages for commission realistic and attainable so you can retain the talent you want to attract!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you want to feel unappreciated and overworked...come here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Janesville, WI

ProsGood benefits, awesome vacation time, fitness center, clinic is amazing!

ConsIt is hard to get time off when you want it, you continuously feel like you're doing a lot of work and moving nowhere, management will take credit for your work and never compensate you for it, management does not like to communicate and when they do it is cryptic and condescending.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider legitimately giving your employees a voice. The entry-level employees are the bread and butter of the business. A little respect goes a long way.

Excellent Company To Work For

Commercial Account Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPeople, processes, training and support network.

ConsNone to mention. Very good place to work and learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing whatever you're doing.

Customer Service Associate

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat Profit Sharing benefits, flexible work schedule, good industry experience,

ConsCan be challenging to advance, slow moving growth, lateral moves are much easier than vertical

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees more opportunities to succeed. Be more honest with you employees for the opportunities that they will be able to receive. Pay for performance rather than for seniority

A great learning experience, but times are changing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lake Forest, IL

ProsPST, work life balance, great co-workers

ConsOffice politics stink, favoritism shown with many employees, many not held to the same standard as others

Advice to Senior ManagementI love the motto "do more with less"... to work more efficiently, but Directors and Managers do not understand it this way, and are asking us to do more with less tools to do our job, less training to do our job, and less people to do our job. Very stressful!!

grainger

Prosgood benefits, excellent pay and good life/work balance

Consmanagers never get involved much

Great company!..Move the culture forward

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lake Forest, IL

ProsIncredible talent pool with great camaraderie!

ConsCulture can be passive aggressive and non-collaborative.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up to new ideas and concepts. Help the organization prioritize. Embrace and learn from the talent across the organization.

customer service

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

Proswage, people, learned a lot

Consnothing really, I think the people and customers were great

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!