W.W. Grainger

W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Pros
  • Cohesive Strategy integrated throughout the company, Great Benefits (Profit Sharing(in 115 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case(in 13 reviews)

• Middle and upper management was very disappointing(in 16 reviews)

Great place to work

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsProgressive, Dynamic, Aggressive, Strong, Innovative

ConsDistributor, Pricing Structure, Commodity, Competition

Good

ProsFair Hours for the job

ConsPoor Training/ I had no manager

Typical large company politics, but a company working to constantly improve itself

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits, resources, many opportunities for career growth including branching into other departments

ConsCOmpensation structure for sales, employee development from management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, great benefits

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsAbove average pay, amazing benefits, PST, stock purchases, discounts. PTO is generous and normally easy to schedule. Short term disability benefits are way better than most companies.

ConsIt's very hard to advance in the company if you are not looking for a sales job. Management does not always handle office conflict well or in a timely matter. Nor do they know how to accurately staff a department based on workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit looking at the numbers and start actually listening to the employees doing the work. You do yearly surveys for a reason. Now start acting on the results!

Working as a TSR for W.W. Grainger, Inc.

Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsOne of the best training programs in sales, great experience, wonderful benefits (apart from salary), and excellent corporate culture.

ConsSalary is pretty low, no real short-term compensatory benefits, and salary is non-negotiable. Company gears its payout to its employees towards the future and only benefits employees who spend their careers there. Not much room for advancement, moving up is almost too hard and happens very slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees raises and turnover rates will decrease. Also, make income adjustments for those living in high cost areas (there is no adjustment and salary is not negotiable).

Great Company

Outbound Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsAs a member of the leadership team you are given the control to over your area. The retirement that is offered is really good.

ConsThe pay sometimes did not match what was required.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude all levels of leadership more often.

The pay is above average for the industry

On Site Service Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe job security was great, we did not lay anyone off during the '07-'09 economy crisis. Profit sharing is amazing too.

ConsThere is not a lot of places to move up unless you want to move to Chicago and work in the corporate offices.

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Team, easy to get along with management

ConsBeing understaffed could use extra people

Advice to Senior ManagementMore raises

Great company to work for!

CAM (Current Employee)

ProsGreat, work-life balence, no micro-managing, amazing retirement package

ConsSlow to advance, not nimble

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch pricing become more nimble

Grainger is a great company to start your sales career

Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsReally solid company, with great benefits and company culture. Grainger does an excellent job of supporting their employees. Everyone is nice and friendly and easy going. There is tons of training and a high focus on career-pathing and development.

ConsBase salary is really low and there are no salary increase. the longer you are in role the harder it is to make goes as they go up every year. If you do well, you will be punished the next year by having a higher sales goal, which makes it very difficult to grow your income year over year.

The job also requires a TON of work outside of work hours if you plan on coming close to meeting goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the sales team TSR a competitive base salary, that way when sales goal increase year over year, they can afford to stay with the company.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!