W.W. Grainger

W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Pros
  • Cohesive Strategy integrated throughout the company, Great Benefits (Profit Sharing(in 115 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case(in 13 reviews)

• Middle and upper management was very disappointing(in 16 reviews)

Fantastic people make a fantastic company.

ProsGreat people. Terrific leadership. Wonderful benefits. Limitless resources. Team culture.

ConsSeem to be lacking a strategy to compete with local/regional suppliers who are offering the same products/services at a considerably lower price.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow can we be more effective in capturing share of wallet at the small/mid-sized businesses where price is the overwhelming concern and the value-ads are rarely/never considered.

A great company to work for with opportunities for growth.

Senior Field Assistant Territory Sales (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsProfit Sharing Trust (PST) has been great over the years because of the company's stead growth PST continues to increase. Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth.

ConsDon't see a lot of diversity in Senior Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities for field employees to develop and grow into more advance roles.

Great Company

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsPTO, Profit Sharing, Stability, Hours

ConsHard to get rid of bad employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake is easier for local management to get rid of burned out employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great team environment

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat leadership with experienced DSM's. Terrific on boarding and training. Team members help each other out. Profit sharing! Great salary and commission. The company is financially very stable with a huge commitment to their talent.

ConsSuccessful account managers will see their goals increase, but that is typical in sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't always try to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes the basics are key!

Great company to work for!

Customer Service Associate/IMR (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsExcellent company. Started when I was in college part time, the manager was great working with my school schedule. Transferred fairly easy when I moved back home after school and finally got a full time position which then turned into another opportunity within the company. Excellent benefits, competitive pay, profit sharing, great PTO.

ConsManagement is very political. Rather than hiring someone who's been training for a position, I noticed more times than not they hired outside the company rather than promote.

Great company - Amazing profit sharing

District Sales Manager (Current Employee) Lake Forest, IL

ProsGreat company with tons of career development opportunities, pay is competitive, profit sharing is amazing.

ConsWork , work , work

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, keep Grainger profitable

Grainger

Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) Janesville, WI

ProsFriendly Support Staff
    Caring Management
    Facility is beautiful

ConsConfined to cube for long hours

Territory Sales Representative

Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsBenefits and opportunity to move up in the company

ConsHard to get something done sometimesecause its so big

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do.

A great company to work for!

Market Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities for development. Your career there is what you make of it. The people who work within the company are the best part of it. The work/life balance is good.

ConsThere are not may cons. There are a lof of development opportunities, but many of them are in Chicago area or in major metro markets.

I love my job at Grainger and it provides me with many opportunities within the company.

Transportation Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsGrainger is a wonderful employer, they have great benefits and vast opportunities within. Sales are always growing, they sell everything including the kitchen sink! They appreciate their talent and foster open communication. I'm proud to work there.

ConsInterdepartmental communication could be improved as well as middle management having the proper knowledge base.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccountability is huge amongst management. There don't seem to be any consequences for Directors.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!