W.W. Grainger Reviews

686 reviews filtered by
3.4
W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan

Pros
  • The profit sharing is very generous and it is a good reason to stay with the company (in 134 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case (in 21 reviews)

• The flat out lies people tell you especially upper management is so bad people do not believe anything (in 20 reviews)

1. Run far away.....don't even consider.

Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Nice people most of them

Cons

Goals are not reasonable. Never enough.....the favorites get small goals....and make big money! NO work/Life/Balance....if your not working 24/7 and calling in on your vacations....your not a team player.

Advice to Management

Hire educated people who don't have chips on their shoulders with powers.

2. Worst company I have every worked for. There is favoritism that is consistently shown. Lack of professionalism!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Fresno, CA

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Fellow employees were very helpful and friendly

Cons

Management is terrible and lack the drive to manage and coach people. It is a sink or swim environment.

Advice to Management

Give Account Managers the opportunity to be successful with proper COACHING.

3. If you're a corporate robot this jobs for you!

Current Employee - TSR in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - TSR in Detroit, MI

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Company car and PTO accrues quickly. Make own schedule

Cons

Zero leadership. Terrible base pay of 32k a year and you're expected to work unconventional hours

Advice to Management

Hire leaders, current managers just micromanage and show favoritism.

5. Bring back the real company!!

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

In the past...The company cared. Pay was good, management cared.. Now. Good luck

Cons

Management changed the culture 5 or so years ago to treat employees like second class citizens. I had a manager tell me "I can get a trained monkey to do your job". Management has totally lost any respect for their employees.

Advice to Management

Remember how this company got it's start,and go back to basics. While the company is still around.

Disillusioned and Disgruntled.

Current Employee - Sales and Customer Relations in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Sales and Customer Relations in Janesville, WI

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Lots of vacation time...not much else

Cons

Terrible communication between departments. No company wide standard operating procedures. HR told me the position paid $2 an hour more than it actually did and I only took the job at the lower pay because they promised me I would get promoted quickly. they encourage you to submit continuous improvement ideas, but I am consistently ignored on simple basic things that would improve the flow and ease of work. I applied for a promotion and they told me I should volunteer to help the department without getting the raise for the extra work. They used to do company Christmas parties and summer family picnics...now those are only for the senior management.

Advice to Management

Get some consistency in operating procedures. I hear a lot of excuses as to why each department does the same thing differently.

7. Good Old Boy Network

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Base pay was great until a new management decided that they could get cheap labor.

Cons

Leadership is not what you know but who you know. Good old boy network and if you are not in the club it doesn't matter if your a shinning star they will not promote you. Company was humming right along until about 4 years ago and then the bottom fell out by hiring "disposable" people that would do the job for less. Very political here and NO balance because you literally are on call 24/7 as an account manager.

Advice to Management

Hire substance instead of empty shells. Just because someone knows someone does not make them the best candidate. And stop hiring FAMILY. That's just crazy insane wrong.

Turn and Burn

Former Employee - Account Manager in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and pay is decent if you perform

Cons

Most Unethical company in the world. HR department is a JOKE..... Micro Management was invented here. All about numbers. Cheat if you have to managers. You better learn to drink the Kool-Aid if you plan on staying more than two years.

Advice to Management

Have the balls to do what is right....

account manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Wilmington, DE

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great support from branch staff & sales team, profit sharing was great if you planned on being there long enough to benefit from. Challenging but fun when you start establishing relationships with your accounts.

Cons

coaching from sales manager was non existent, too much time spent documenting activity (by the hour). This is not an effective way to coach, will not make you a better sales consultant. Work / Life balance was a major challenge, expect to work 60+ hrs per week with all of the reports needed.

Advice to Management

coach your team, there is a huge difference in coaching vs. micro-managing. When someone asks for help, respond & help them so that they can find success. Sales managers here don't always come with prior sales management experience...

10. Great Company just needs to review it's leadership team!

Former Employee - HRG in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - HRG in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong Brand with a solid value proposition. The Sales leadership team is very talented and would exceed more if the corporate office could change it ways on how it handles its process.

Cons

The corporate office is very much removed from the field.
    The HR leadership team lacks leadership and the ability to show up for the business. They really do not share the pains within the business. You have leaders who are currently in leadership role who have no line of sight to the business or its people in the workforce.
    Work life balance - Leaders expect their staff to response to emails when they on PTO or on their off days.

Advice to Management

I would advise the executive leadership team to take a very strong look at your HR leadership team. There is a significant amount of waste within that function that is hurting the overall business.

11. Front End Developer

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some managers are nice and so are some people

Cons

People with no experience, who are wannabes try to get a job which I have 10yrs experience on.

Advice to Management

Stop firing top notch employees

W.W. Grainger Photos

Outside a W.W. Grainger branch, this one located at 2915 Boardwalk Ann Arbor Michigan 48104-6765 (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Grainger Atrium
Grainger Industrial Supply (Photo thanks to Flickr user rbieber, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo