W.W. Grainger

W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, reputable company, The profit sharing plan is very strong"
    in 99 reviews
  • "Very professional environmnet and great benefits"
    in 43 reviews
Cons:
  • "work/life balance is a challenge at times"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Upper management all the same---and that's not a complement"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hard company to work for.

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time

ProsGood experience/ resume filler. Great stepping stone to enter the Grainger parent company.

ConsUpper Management "Director of Sustainability" runs company with iron fist and is single handedly driving company into the ground. Does not know how to run this type if business but is not open to improvement suggestions. Retribution will follow! High attrition rate and extremely low moral.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be relieved of his position by parent company to allow repairs to company that will generate a profit. Was a great company once and could be again!

So so

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at W.W. Grainger part-time for more than 5 years

ProsProfit sharing is the only perk , and for several part time employees isn't even worth it . More beneficial to full time tenured employees .

ConsNo room for lateral growth, since the company has become a corporation I see unfair merit increases, and budget cuts to the peons who bring in the bulk of business, benefits only reflect on the corporate managers BIG BOSSES , hiring temp phone reps before offering more hours to the part time tenured employees who actually know there job, and doing things for show on the branch and corporate level ie recognitions when higher up reps come into the office , congratulating and acknowledging workers only when your boss is there to impress....things like this are way too common .

Graingers way of business is trial and error....they're business plans suck and forecasting of business volume is never accurate . They need to do better

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate room for growth, there's discrimination, several a employees are over worked and under paid ,

Unhappy Grainger Ranger

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProfit sharing, competitive salary. Good benefits.

ConsNo life balance due to cumbersome paperwork. Management that doesn't care about employees. Coworkers that are unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees fair. Realistic expectations. Remember where this company came from.

Grainger Discriminates Against Women, Minorities

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDecent Benefits, Average pay, Great customers.

ConsThis company discriminates against women. It is an old boy network who hires women in support positions but never promotes them and doesn't support them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop humiliating and mistreating your female employees before you get a law suit!

People are great but management isn't.

Packer (Former Employee)
Macedonia, OH

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgreat people who really care about their jobs

ConsManagement doesn't care about their older employees.The older employees are treated very unkindly

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember where the company came from

Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Lake Forest, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Pay, Great stock options.
good retirement

ConsIf you like to suck up and work harder than people who get paid more and don't mind being a corporate puppet, then this is the place for you.
Nepotism is very obvioius. Call center in lincolshire, not conducive to healthy work environment. Management unresponsive to complaints. Childish and abusive enviroment.
HR is all powerfull entity with no checks and balances.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts not enough to say eployee safety and well being is important. Please train management to be very responsive to complaints. Long time management seem to be to comfortable n there positions. also management to busy to care about lower level employees.
implement checks and balances for your HR people.

"Good Ol Boys Club"

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation is above average, however you will work 60-70 hours per week.

ConsVery little training, coaching or support offered. If you dont fit into the Good Ol Boys Club - you are gone! Making goal does not guarantee employment. I was let go and was consistently over 100% for 8 of my 12 months of employment. Management has their vision of what good looks like. There are over a million products offered as well as 100's of solutions. Most days I felt like I was babysitting the internal and external resources to ensure my accounts were being taken care of.

Stuck in another business era. Lost moral compass,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits but not outstanding.

ConsPoor employee moral due to poor mid and upper level management.

Miserable

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWas once a great company going downhill fast. At one time it was career and skill expanding. Opportunities for income were good as long as you had a good work ethic.

ConsAccount Managers are required to work all hours to keep up with demands of recording all sales activities, preventing sales activities. Jeff Collier has no idea what he as doing and micromanages each sales person to the point of um-productive status. I can't get out of here fast enough as there is no reward for success or professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new Management

What is the definition of insanity? - Grainger's Internal Audit Department.

Internal Audit (Current Employee)
Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

ProsThe HQs in Lake Forest has a nice building. They're good at bringing talent in - but can't keep anyone past 2 years. (it's amazing anyone stays that long if they come into the company through internal audit). The parking lot is always salted.

ConsThe Internal Audit department is comprised layer upon layer of managers, directors, and executives with little to no audit experience. They have no idea what they’re doing, talking about, reviewing, etc. The IA Department has the worst reputation throughout Grainger, and it’s more than deserved. All the talent lies at the senior level – from which they draw a great deal out of Big 4 and other large public accounting firms. However, the seniors spend so much time “dumbing down” audit information to the managers and directors that there is little time for anything else and most seniors do not last more than 2 years.

This is a department that loves anything classified as no-value added: countless status update meetings, no decisions are ever made, project trackers, moving the same information from Excel to Word to our IA software (which no one knows how to use) – the list goes on forever.

In short, if you’d like to spend your career with a smile plastered on your face as your brain slowly turns to mush – this is the position for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the management in Internal Audit: please grow a spine. My manager couldn't make a decision if her life depended on it. I'm not interested in wasting my time and our business partners' time because my manager has no idea what's going on.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at W.W. Grainger reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for W.W. Grainger CEO Jim Ryan. All 417 reviews posted anonymously by W.W. Grainger employees.