W.W. Grainger

Updated November 18, 2014
3.5

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan

Pros
  • The profit sharing is very generous and it is a good reason to stay with the company (in 135 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case (in 19 reviews)

• No room for advancement if you do not have your Bachelors's degree (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Look no further, you can retire with this company!

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Niles, IL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Niles, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Grainger hires the best, enjoyed working there many years, great benefits. I worked in a distribution center which
    gives its employees the opportunity to advance if you have the desire to learn new skills.

Cons

I don't think there's a company out there that doesn't get some kind of bad rap, and that includes Grainger. You can't satisfy all the people, I think the usual complaints are pay, benefits, policies, leadership skills of the supervisors, etc.

Great company to work for

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

The total compensation package is very competitive

Cons

selling in the economy can be difficult because end users are very price sensitive

keep up the good work

CSA

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Benifits are not too bad. They are definatly getting better

Cons

Compensation does not always seems like it adds up for the work you are doing.

Great Company just bad situation

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits package and for the most part building I worked at people were ok. They did give us doughnuts.

Cons

Building I worked in had huge management turnover. Three buliding directors and human resources managers in three years. No continuity. Always having to adjust to new regime.

More consistency and spend some time to get to know your people.

Not so great experience, leadership flaws

Current Employee - TSR in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - TSR in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great products to sale, fun sales team.

Cons

work life balance is tough

Find out how to motivate sales $$$

A lot of work not so much pay or growth

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in City of Industry, CA

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team atmosphere, trip to sales conference in Feb, get to use vehicle for personal use

Cons

wage was terrible, people doing the same job making 2X more money, no advancement, no real career path, numbers are insanely difficult to reach (20% growth year over year every month) the benefits are also garbage, no coaching when you need it most

raise the base pay make it so people can actually move up

Overcooked

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty good pay & benefits

Cons

Overcooked, and over managed.... micromanagement.

Stop being managers and start being leaders, coaches, and motivators.

Solid Company to work for

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, great pay for entry level work

Cons

bad working conditions in the summer time

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at W.W. Grainger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I came into the industry with virtually no experience. My boss hired me and I started out making $14/hour. As an 18 year old college kid, this was amazing. There pay is significantly hire then competitors. They treat part timers very well. Eligible for benefits. 4 weeks of vacation after a year. Great hours. No weekends. The work is very easy. Classes to improve your knowledge. Ride alongs with sales reps and managers. Profit sharing. Great place to start your career.

Cons

Not a whole lot of bad things I can say about Grainger. It'd be nice if they did tuition reimbursement for part timers. I know Id be alot more loyal if they were paying for my school. Also, there is a lot of opportunity for growth... if you're willing to move. Turn over is very low so on the local level there is not a whole lot of room for advancement.

Not a whole to say. Keep up the good work. Prices could be a little lower. It's hard to explain to customers why our drill is $75 more than the exact same one at competitors. Also, maybe rethink the RCC business model. When customers call, they want to talk to somebody locally and with a little bit of industry knowledge.

One bad leader can ruin a flawless 5+ year career of consistent top level performance...

Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is one of the best companies I have had the pleasure of working for, It provided an excellent opportunity to develop and grow professionally and personally. I can honestly say that the people and especially those on my team and in support, are the most talented individuals in the business.

Cons

Inconsistent Leadership/Lack of Leadership can dramatically impair your ability to do your job to the best of your ability. You very well at some point in time may receive a new leader. Possibly one without any experience leading a strategic sales team. They may be below average at strategic selling themselves. Beware of leaders who are non supportive, and especially those who may display dishonesty. That being said, In the 5 years I had been at this company I have around 5 different leaders as I advanced my career. Granted a couple were bad, but overall I experienced and developed under 2 of the best leaders I have been blessed enough to work for and learn from. These were not just managers.....These were truly inspiring, motivating, enabling, leaders who spent time to coach and develop you to your next level of success. I would not trade that experience for anything in the world.

Bad Leadership is not the reason talent is leaving. My experience and belief is that the root cause is actually organizationally related. Current structure does not support talent retention. However, there is a simple solution that can be test marketed and the direct impact of which is easily measurable......

W.W. Grainger Photos

Outside a W.W. Grainger branch, this one located at 2915 Boardwalk Ann Arbor Michigan 48104-6765 (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Grainger Atrium
Grainger Industrial Supply (Photo thanks to Flickr user rbieber, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo