W.W. Grainger

Updated December 18, 2014
3.5

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan

Pros
  • The profit sharing is very generous and it is a good reason to stay with the company (in 134 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case (in 21 reviews)

• The flat out lies people tell you especially upper management is so bad people do not believe anything (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company with a strong foundation and model for growth

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Grainger is a large company with a strong business sense of what it will take to success in the market. They have excellent benefits packages.

Cons

The company has incredibly high expectations of all employees, which is great. It is challenging to complete work in under 60+ hours a week, making a balanced life difficult

Find ways to simplify the work - remove obstacles for success in delivering to customers

Look no further, you can retire with this company!

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Niles, IL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Niles, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Grainger hires the best, enjoyed working there many years, great benefits. I worked in a distribution center which
    gives its employees the opportunity to advance if you have the desire to learn new skills.

Cons

I don't think there's a company out there that doesn't get some kind of bad rap, and that includes Grainger. You can't satisfy all the people, I think the usual complaints are pay, benefits, policies, leadership skills of the supervisors, etc.

Grainger has treated me very good and the Profit Sharing Plan is unrivaled. Sales goals can be overwhelming.

Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant
    Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company workdays consist of 8-5:00 Monday through Friday. The people you work with often have been there for 15 plus years.

Cons

There is not a lot of room to grow unless you want to move to Chicago or move into sales.

Create an atmosphere conducive to promoting growth within the company. If you do not do this you will have talent leaving the company.

Aggressive pay, hard work and many management changes

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are really great and if you are in the right circles you can move up quickly with someone on the inside pushing you forward.

Cons

Good old boy network, not female friendly, diversity is a smoke screen. Working 60 to 70 hours a week isn't healthy. Goals are not realistic for certain areas and there is no real sense of loyalty to customers anymore.

Actually listen and implement what your AM's say. They are the ones in the trenches. Stand by your teams and back them up instead of backing a bus over them to save face.

Bad Company habits

Current Employee - Web Designer/Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Web Designer/Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good PTO, PST? 5 - 15% maybe going away by 2016.

Cons

Can't trust people, You get harassed and the managers get away with it. People have been quitting, because managers are trying to save money, they belittle people. The company will be stopping their PST program soon, and people rely on PST. Company has been losing sales, company is on a slump and firing and laying people off.

Please treat your employees better.

Great company to work for

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

The total compensation package is very competitive

Cons

selling in the economy can be difficult because end users are very price sensitive

keep up the good work

CSA

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Benifits are not too bad. They are definatly getting better

Cons

Compensation does not always seems like it adds up for the work you are doing.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at W.W. Grainger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I came into the industry with virtually no experience. My boss hired me and I started out making $14/hour. As an 18 year old college kid, this was amazing. There pay is significantly hire then competitors. They treat part timers very well. Eligible for benefits. 4 weeks of vacation after a year. Great hours. No weekends. The work is very easy. Classes to improve your knowledge. Ride alongs with sales reps and managers. Profit sharing. Great place to start your career.

Cons

Not a whole lot of bad things I can say about Grainger. It'd be nice if they did tuition reimbursement for part timers. I know Id be alot more loyal if they were paying for my school. Also, there is a lot of opportunity for growth... if you're willing to move. Turn over is very low so on the local level there is not a whole lot of room for advancement.

Not a whole to say. Keep up the good work. Prices could be a little lower. It's hard to explain to customers why our drill is $75 more than the exact same one at competitors. Also, maybe rethink the RCC business model. When customers call, they want to talk to somebody locally and with a little bit of industry knowledge.

Stacking The Deck

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time

Pros

Obviously WWG understands it has a retention problem and a hostility among their work force or they wouldn't be posting "false positive" reviews here. Good! The first step is admitting there is a problem.

Cons

The people posting good reviews here are either brad new, because the talent has left and they were just recently hired, or corporate goons. There is not one person i know within the thousands of Account Managers that enjoytheir job. They are underpaid, over micro-managed, and direspected.

Get new Management.

Great Company just bad situation

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits package and for the most part building I worked at people were ok. They did give us doughnuts.

Cons

Building I worked in had huge management turnover. Three buliding directors and human resources managers in three years. No continuity. Always having to adjust to new regime.

More consistency and spend some time to get to know your people.

W.W. Grainger Photos

Outside a W.W. Grainger branch, this one located at 2915 Boardwalk Ann Arbor Michigan 48104-6765 (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Grainger Atrium
Grainger Industrial Supply (Photo thanks to Flickr user rbieber, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo