W.W. Norton

W. Drake McFeely

Good summer internship

Current Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

People are smart and approachable and willing to answer questions. Employees from all departments give weekly lectures so you learn a bit about many different aspects of trade and college publishing.

Cons

Experiences and responsibilities vary pretty widely depending on the department you're interning for; it's not going to be an extremely general publishing internship.

Generally everyone was incredibly approachable. I learned a ton.

Great experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

I worked here as an intern, and my supervisor assigned me projects as needed. The work was manageable, but if something arose, my supervisor was very understanding. The majority of my projects were self-paced -as I finished one, I would go on to the next.

The culture is also one of a kind. I've interned at four other places other than Norton, and I can say that Norton's culture is wonderful and truly unique.

Cons

I would have liked to be more involved with liaising with other people. The majority of contact I had was with my supervisor.

Like most at Norton, I love working for this independent and employee owned publisher!

Current Employee - Traveler  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Traveler in New York, NY

Pros

Norton publish high quality books and media that are both easy and a pleasure to sell. It is truly a pleasure to work with fantastic and smart colleagues in an environment that is anti-corporate.

Cons

Dollar compensation at Norton is at the lower end of the publishing market, and sometimes workload is a little overwhelming, but who anywhere is happy at how little they make for how much energy they exert?

If living in NYC is a requirement for certain positions, then salary of such positions must be more appealing - nobody wants to be live in NYC and be poor!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An employee-owned company where leadership works together and cares deeply about its culture, people, and products.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

Pros

A collaborative company with strong leadership, this is an old-style editorially driven publisher where content, authors and teachers still come first, and media complements - rather than drives - the editorial process.

Cons

Norton leaders can be conservative - this is not a company that will be on the leading edge, but rather take a more thoughtful, more cautious approach - which is really not a con at all, in my opinion.

Slow to react to market changes

Pros

Fabulous editors, marketers, and travelers. Great content and business culture. Best people in the field who work harder than any publisher's reps! Great customer loyalty.

Cons

Slow to react to market changes. Not enough support in the field on a daily basis. Territories are too large. Boys club mentality in the NYC office and mid-management.

We've doubled the list - increase the human capital on the ground and listen to the travelers. Mid-management do not speak for the travelers - they have drunk the kool-aid.

Gratifying products to work on. Poor pay for well educated employees.

Former Employee - Editorial  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

Pros

Access to a plethora of great books, which you can snag for free. Everything I worked on there was fairly interesting.

Cons

The pay is terrible. The management barely communicates with anyone at entry level. You're essentially on your own to find your place in the company.

The main issue is that Norton hires people from top colleges, mostly people who have tons of debt. They hold all these celebratory meetings, and send out emails about the huge profits they make, yet all the starting salaries are in the low 30s. It takes years to even break 40k working in the Manhattan office. You can get better money working admin at a nonprofit, or slinging knives door to door.

Pay your lower level employees a fair wage. Living in NYC requires 50k a year. You have the money. These are educated kids who are doing something they care about.

Best college publisher in the business.

Current Employee - Traveler
    Current Employee - Traveler

Pros

Excellent editorial driven team. Insightful and unique publications.

Cons

No cons as of yet.

Norton is a great place to work

Former Employee - Editorial Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Great office culture. Nice people and everyone in the company works on two floors so you get to see everyone, even people at the top. Brown-bag lunches are informative. My boss actually looked for a way to help me get experience beyond the typical intern/EA drudgery.

Cons

All intern and entry-level work in publishing is pretty boring. Lots of emails, faxing, copying, etc.

Very good product in terms of print books but very far behind in Technology

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

The company is an old fashioned editorially driven company in a market that is fast moving digital. Territories are huge and there is heavy empahasis on clsoing with one sales call. Marketing information is very good and the authors are top notch. Books are often targeted at the very best schools and are often too rigorous for Community Colleges and lower performing State Universities. Employee owned so while salaries and bonus are often below the major players some of that is made up by profit sharing and extra incentives for high profile titles. .

Cons

Wide range in management styles in Regional Manager. The only huge complaint I have is that it seemed like my manager was more interested in ordering me to do things despite the time of the sales cycle. Had a big problem with me making suggestions or explaining what my strategy was and why I wasn't doing exactly what she wanted. Couldn't understand that in order to sell product in the South you have to develop a relationship first before they are interested in your content.

Develop custom group to help drive residual sales and to make titles more flexible. Heavily invest in emerging technology not exclusive to only self-graded homework. Develop partnerships with technology firms and not just develop simplistic technology in-house.

We work hard, grow slowly, and promote from within.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

Pros

Opportunities for professional development.
    Unique corporate culture.
    Small, independent, employee-owned.
    Smart, hard working colleagues.
    Travel.
    Generous raises and bonuses for good employees, even in a tough economy.
    Job security. This company has never had layoffs. Never!

Cons

Travel can also be a con in this job.
    A small company can mean that you have to do work that your assistant does at another company.

Our corporate culture is part of what makes us special. Let's keep it that way!

Worked for W.W. Norton? Contribute to the Community!