WA Department of Commerce

Profile Unclaimed

WA Department of Commerce Reviews

3.7

CEO

Probably the best Washington state agency out of all of them

Current Employee - Administrative Support in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Support in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WA Department of Commerce full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have some of the most hard working dedicated people in one of the least bureaucratic state agencies in existence. Helping companies grow to generate job creation is currently under laser beam focus and has always been a very admirable mission in the agency.

Cons

Continual budget cutbacks make it difficult to carry out duties and serve clients. A lot of time is spent trying to justify our existence and re-educating the legislature over and over with varying methods and benchmarks rather than helping the clients.

Draconian management and techniques from earlier years have been pretty well weeded out. The quality of HR has improved. Keep up the good work and thanks.

Positioning Washington State to business globally

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at WA Department of Commerce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An ability to make a difference in one of the most influential areas of your life, where you live. Alignment between your personal values and your work life. A connection with like-minded ethically oriented and passionate professionals seeking to develop our most precious resources in a sustainable manner.

Cons

The current state of the budget has made travel and effective outreach challenging, although this seems to be changing recently. Working within government takes a certain degree of persistence and willingness to understand and negotiate systems.

Working in government is a lifelong career path for many employees. Providing resources, career development opportunities and mentoring is so important to the staff you manage. I found the personal connections and friendships I developed while at Commerce the best in my career.

Effecting incremental change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WA Department of Commerce

Pros

Job satisfaction
    Stakeholders
    Giving back to society

Cons

Salary, scope for advancement, procedures, meetings

It's a bureaucratic jungle, but the people are nice.

I have been working at WA Department of Commerce

Pros

Some very intelligent and committed people, and the rest are at least competant and generally friendly.
    You can make a difference in the State's regional economic development.

Cons

There is way too much bureaucracy here- too many rules, at times it feels like there is no trust in human judgment. It is more a state government problem than an agency problem, though.

The name changed. but not the incompetent management

I worked at WA Department of Commerce

Pros

Really great staff across all Divisions, very motivated to serve the public and solve problems. Generous during food drives and times of crisis.

Cons

Over-politicized management who kowtowed to the Democratic leadership in the Legislature.

Most upper management is competent enough to keep the place afloat, but not very capable of rapid change, always reactive, never proactive.

Listen more to your staff and CARE. Stop rewarding only the lackeys.