WAND Corporation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Dave Perrill

1. My Favorite Place to Work by Far!

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome colleagues No politics or unnecessary drama Competitive salary Fantastic senior leadership (they walk the talk) Nothing but pure growth ahead

Cons

Medical is expensive because we're a small company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Loving working here. Absolutely fantastic culture you've built.

Help desk

Current Employee - QSR Help Desk Technician in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - QSR Help Desk Technician in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to advance in positions Work on proprietary systems Upcoming Tier change that opens multiple positions Full reimbursement for certification tests (if passed)

Cons

Low staffing for an expanding company No company sponsored training for certifications

Advice to Management

Hire more staff to fill needed positions and to cover expansion into menu board support Provide additional training on planned changes to support

High Drama and overworked

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time

Pros

Working with large name companies

Cons

The middle management is filled with drama. They will run the staff very lean requiring for long hours without assistance. There is a lack of work life balance and integrity throughout the company. They are attempting to run the culture off the book traction and so there are weekly "L10" meetings, but the management is not properly trained in how to run them, so they turn into weekly emotional feelings meetings and management takes no action on them. Because of these meetings a lot of the staff is very negative as they are already overworked and these meetings drive a lot of negativity. About 75% of the staff smokes due to high stress, so if you want a "healthy" place to work, this isn't it.

Advice to Management

You should probably remove a lot of the director positions that were hired in the last year. They are not value add to the culture and are sources of a lot of the misery and negativity. Listen to your associates as the managers (directors) are shielding a lot of the issues from the senior management. There is a big reason you were not named top company to work for and the issues are all solvable if you were to eliminate these directors and take action on what the associates need.

Great place to get experience

Former Employee - TAC Technician in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - TAC Technician in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of opportunity to develop fast (in the TAC) you are kind of thrown to the wolves which is a good thing for I.T development and the TAC supervisor is a straight shooter and very fair in dealing with employees the Cons I have listed are not his fault. , past that I have nothing.

Cons

Staffing levels are a joke, they are 50% what they should be. Pay is horrible, especially for the work load. You can find a help desk job with a 30% higher start wage on half the work load in the Twin Cities pretty easily. Training is disorganized. The person who trains new hires also trains customers and is gone for half of your two week training period and employees are to busy to train, that is not the fault of the trainer, he does his best with the limited time he gets. Working overtime is expected, if you leave at the end of your shift it is looked down upon, you are expected to stay late. If the case count gets to high 4 hours of overtime is mandatory and you have to take it on your first day off not come in that night so part of your weekend is shot. You will always hear how they want to get things so good so you the techs in the TAC will have a low case load and can spend most of the day relaxing and putting out fires because they will hire enough people etc etc. I won't happen. If you have no experience and can handle high stress and dealing with phone calls from people with below average intelligence this job is a good place to start, the company is no place to have a career at.

Advice to Management

Hire more people in the TAC. Staffing levels make it impossible to make sure the cases don't fall out of SLA. The stress level and the low pay motivates the employees to find a new job and buy time until they do.

Promise of change that never comes

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with large name companies

Cons

Lack of work life balance, poor benefits (you pay half of insurance premium), Management will not get into the trenches when work is heavy, Managment will overpromise and not step in to get expectations met and put the work on the associates, false promises (free lunches, changes coming), negative culture derived off the book Traction (management doesn't know how to lead it into a positive light).

Advice to Management

investigate why your employees aren't happy then make actionable changes (better benefits, increase hires). You are a growing company, you can say no to clients to make it so fires arent happening all the time now.

Software Developer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are very aggressive about getting clients which is good for keeping the company successful. Also not afraid to try new technology.

Cons

They do no allocate enough time for projects, the timelines they want are just not realistic which causes problems. They also tend to go through a lot of people.

Advice to Management

Train the people you hire, don't just expect them to know everything and then let them go when they don't. It lowers moral for everyone.

8. Great culture of growth

I have been working at WAND Corporation

Pros

WAND functions according to four key core values that serve as an absolute guide in hiring, team development, and a culture of: Integrity — Build a foundation of trust through honesty and integrity. Commitment — To our customers, our teams, and our company. Drive — Push ourselves and our company to get better every day. Attitude — Positivity is infectious and shows who truly wants to be here. They also have a really great game room!

Cons

The parking lot is a bit too small to accommodate all of the new employees. Hardwood floors are a bit of a distraction in the office when people are on the phone.

9. WAND has all the potential in the world; with the right leadership now in place, it's a great company to be a part of.

Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WAND's senior leadership truly cares for their employees. It's a 'work hard, play hard' mentality, which in my mind is definitely a "pro". The company vision is spot-on and the organization has the opportunity to grow exponentially these next 1-5 years.

Cons

Family owned organizations obviously bring different dynamics into play, however, the politics side of the equation has drastically changed (in a good way) in the past 12 months or so. The only two true thugs to mention here is the inability to execute on a consistent basis (which also is drastically improving by the day) and the lack of parking due to continuous growth.

Advice to Management

Having layers within the organization is extremely important - the advice would be to continue growing the middle level management while simultaneously bringing in appropriate talent for leadership.

10. Drastically improved company with the potential to become a GREAT company.

Former Employee - Digital Designer
    Former Employee - Digital Designer

I worked at WAND Corporation (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dave taking over was the best thing to happen to Wand. Senior did a great job creating the company, but his personal investment in the company became detrimental. Improvements have been made and more improvements phase in regularly. When I started, I always felt like my job was in jeopardy. I haven't felt that feeling in years. There are some incredibly dedicated individuals working very hard to make the gears turn.

Cons

Not all employees are as dedicated. There are a few cancerous individuals that, be it because of work ethic or attitude, could be eliminated all together, not even replaced, and the company would benefit. There seems to be a great divide in the hours worked: either you leave earlier than you're supposed to, or you work several hours later than expected.

Advice to Management

I believe in what you've done and what you're doing. Wand is without question an entirely different--better--company to work for than it was seven years ago. I also believe that some of the improvements are overlooked by staff because of the workload or key employees that drag the team down. You MUST address the workload issues. Overtime cannot be the norm. Find a way to minimize the overtime and compensate when the workload increases. Take the design team: still the same number of designers as four years ago yet two or three times as many sites. Their overtime alone justifies having another body, so get two and ease the pain. Only then will they be able to begin being proactive and not just reactive. I agree with your drive to have employees "want to be here, not need to be here." Help them understand that you want them to be there, too. Do that and every Wand review will be 5-stars. This is all easy for me to say as a guy who has never run a business before, so take my constructive criticism for what you will.

Come for starting work experience, leave for better pay

Former Employee - Help Desk in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Help Desk in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company does its best to try and accommodate you to find a schedule that works best for you.

Cons

Lack of promotions based on experience Low starting pay No training for new employees Mediocre benefits. Half the cost of the employee is covered, any dependents are paid 100% by employee. This means you and your spouse, health benefits would run you upwards of $500-600 a month. If you have a kid as well, you're looking closer to $900-1000. You're basically just working for benefits. Without an A+ and N+, do not expect to get promotions or get paid more while working at a company that is proprietary. In all honesty, the A+ and N+ are wasted here because you don't work on hardware and you don't do networking. Management is constantly changing the rules on how things should be done - this makes it very hard for the help desk team to do their job effectivly to assist the customers to the best of their abilities. Management is quick to punish/yell at employees instead of helping their employees do their job better.

Advice to Management

Promote experienced people. Show them you want them around because they can do the job. Increase pay for all levels on the help desk.

RSS Feed </> Embed