WAND Corporation

www.wandcorp.com

WAND Corporation Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014
WAND Corporation – “New Employee Lounge - opened September 2013”

Dave Perrill

Great company to grow, learn and build expertise

Sales (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsCutting edge technology. Lot of opportunity to learn new tech and explore new technologies.

ConsThere is always a time-crunch and urgency.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to people and their skills. There are many good people.

Loads of unrecognized potential

Account Manager (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsRelaxed work environment, great people that work hard and enjoy working together. If our product did what was advertised this company would be amazing! President is in the trenches and really believes in his people.

ConsMassive divide between upper level management and working staff and rare opportunities to advance or get a raise. Really poor health insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your good people what they are worth and they will bleed for you.

Good place to grow in your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpenness, fun, employee growth, cool building, interesting products, fun people to work with

ConsParking is an issue and benefits are good but not perfect. Work hours are reasonable but work often comes home.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst company I've ever worked for.

Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsMy co-workers were the most dedicated and intelligent people I have ever worked with. I'd hire a former Wand employee in a heart beat. I also would like all to know that Chad was one of the best bosses I've ever had.

ConsI literally had PTSD from working at Wand after I walked out. I vomited as soon as I got home and then spent several weeks in a confused paranoid haze. I am still affected now. I don't think I will ever be normal again.

My schedule was: wake up at 2:30am, work until 4:00am. Arrive at the office at 6:00am. Drive home at 6-6:30pm. Set my alarm for 11pm. Start an overnight procedure and then try to sleep for a few hours. Repeat. I was on call 24/7 and would receive calls from the overnight staff at 1am frequently.

This was my life before I completely lost it. I quit after my daughter said "Stop yelling at me." I hadn't even realized I was doing it and she had done nothing wrong.

Wand will bleed you dry and destroy your sanity. Please, for the love of your family, do not work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would seem that one can dress more casually now and Dave is now running the company which is a plus but please, please, please make the software work and hire additional staff when your middle managers ask for them. I probably would have stayed if I could have hired to my needs.

Awesome place to work and your instantly part of the team!

ProsGreat group of co-workers. Small enough company that you can know everyone in the building, Open to ideas and discussions. Plenty of room for advancement. The building is great, There is a lounge with couches and video games to enjoy on your breaks. Everyone is a rock-star and we all work together to make a great work environment. This is definitely a great place to work and I am new to the company, but I am extremely happy about where I am heading and how I feel working for the company.

ConsI have enjoyed working for this company a lot thus far and I don't really have any con's. If I had to pick one thing, it would be the parking. With the company growing so rapidly, we need to acquire more parking spots.

Much improved - need to judge for yourself

ProsThe culture has changed a lot since I first started here 3 years ago. With the changes to the leadership team (Dave is President - not John Perrill), this is a good place to work. Owners are not the only members of the leadership team and don't make all the decisions. I like my job here. I read the negative postings and don't believe they are from current employees - it doesn't match what I experience. We have jeans day every day now; arcade games in the lounge.

ConsThe building is full and parking is a pain. Break room is really small but there is a new employee lounge and can eat lunch there too. Temp is an issue some days - too warm or too cold. Could use more TAC Associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter health benefits for families.

You can do better than this place - Help desk/Customer Service Rep.

Service Desk (Tier I, Second Shift) (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

Pros- You work with some pretty nice people on the help desk.
    -They have an 'OK' pay scale, not that great in comparison with other help desks I've worked at.
    -Exterior of building is appealing
    -CEO is a cool dude.
    - 50 cents for pop. Greatest idea ever.
    -HQ is close to some good restaurants.
    -You work the schedule you choose. four 10 hour days.
    -Employee lounge is actually pretty nice.
    -If you like multiple monitors setups, you'll like this IT department.

Cons-Those who are in a position of power will abuse that power and you (in some cases).
    -Scratched Interior floors and some walls have holes in them.
    -For any chance at a promotion, the minimum required employment is Two years, making career advancement a long term endeavor at Wand.
    -Benefits are just awful.
    - Some of the upper management are busy bodies and will stare at you while you work.
    - Many employees expressed a feeling of being imprisoned or stuck where they worked. When someone left it was always immediately or within a two days notice.
    - Documentation of procedures is almost nonexistent.
    -Training is rushed and pretty bad.
    -Trainer is a harsh personality at best.
    - Attendance is harshly scrutinized. 10 minutes late is grounds for suspension without pay, even with prior notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at who you have running your departments. These are the people who are controlling the moral and are managing the employees who directly effect your customers. Without good leadership, you can expect abysmal attitude those on your help desk eventually adopted. The biggest issue you have is the management 'harassing' your employees.

Getting better, but room to improve still

Undisclosed (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsCurrently there's a big push to build a better employee culture - new video game lounge, more recreational activities, etc.

Company is finally stabilizing software thanks to building up employee base. This makes life a little easier on everyone.

New executive structure is proving beneficial, even if changes are slow. (Note - John Perrill Jr. is not the CEO. WAND does not have a CEO - it has a President; Dave Perrill).

Sales no longer driving development - company is selling features they actually have vs. selling vapor ware and being forced to build based on customer whims.

ConsLow pay, and doesn't look like this will change any time soon. Company is regularly 15%-20% below glassdoor average pay rates.

High expectations - salaried employees regularly expected to work overtime with no compensation or benefits.

Old guard. There is an 'old boys' club at WAND which is refusing to let go of old structure and ways which have continually proved problematic. They're slowly being forced into new structure, but this is a painful process.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't be an innovative company without debt. Pay your employees what they're worth if you want to demand innovation and excellence. If you pay Super America wages, you will get Super America quality.

Small company with big dreams. Help desk is a good place for a newcomer to IT field. They allow you to make mistakes.

Help Desk (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsGood place to learn basics of IT.
    Company pays half of health insurance.

ConsPromotions from outside the company.
    Nepotism.
    Lunchroom
    High expecations for little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within.

Dont do it - this place is bad

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsNone, moldy old building. No room for growth,

ConsSick management and even sicker middle management

Advice to Senior ManagementGo away

Worked for WAND Corporation? Contribute to the Community!