WAND Corporation

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
2.9

Dave Perrill

WAND has all the potential in the world; with the right leadership now in place, it's a great company to be a part of.

Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

WAND's senior leadership truly cares for their employees. It's a 'work hard, play hard' mentality, which in my mind is definitely a "pro". The company vision is spot-on and the organization has the opportunity to grow exponentially these next 1-5 years.

Cons

Family owned organizations obviously bring different dynamics into play, however, the politics side of the equation has drastically changed (in a good way) in the past 12 months or so. The only two true thugs to mention here is the inability to execute on a consistent basis (which also is drastically improving by the day) and the lack of parking due to continuous growth.

Having layers within the organization is extremely important - the advice would be to continue growing the middle level management while simultaneously bringing in appropriate talent for leadership.

Come for starting work experience, leave for better pay

Former Employee - Help Desk in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Help Desk in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company does its best to try and accommodate you to find a schedule that works best for you.

Cons

Lack of promotions based on experience
    Low starting pay
    No training for new employees
    Mediocre benefits. Half the cost of the employee is covered, any dependents are paid 100% by employee. This means you and your spouse, health benefits would run you upwards of $500-600 a month. If you have a kid as well, you're looking closer to $900-1000. You're basically just working for benefits.
    Without an A+ and N+, do not expect to get promotions or get paid more while working at a company that is proprietary. In all honesty, the A+ and N+ are wasted here because you don't work on hardware and you don't do networking.
    Management is constantly changing the rules on how things should be done - this makes it very hard for the help desk team to do their job effectivly to assist the customers to the best of their abilities.
    Management is quick to punish/yell at employees instead of helping their employees do their job better.

Promote experienced people. Show them you want them around because they can do the job.
    Increase pay for all levels on the help desk.

Drastically improved company with the potential to become a GREAT company.

Former Employee - Digital Designer
    Former Employee - Digital Designer

I worked at WAND Corporation (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dave taking over was the best thing to happen to Wand. Senior did a great job creating the company, but his personal investment in the company became detrimental. Improvements have been made and more improvements phase in regularly. When I started, I always felt like my job was in jeopardy. I haven't felt that feeling in years. There are some incredibly dedicated individuals working very hard to make the gears turn.

Cons

Not all employees are as dedicated. There are a few cancerous individuals that, be it because of work ethic or attitude, could be eliminated all together, not even replaced, and the company would benefit. There seems to be a great divide in the hours worked: either you leave earlier than you're supposed to, or you work several hours later than expected.

I believe in what you've done and what you're doing. Wand is without question an entirely different--better--company to work for than it was seven years ago. I also believe that some of the improvements are overlooked by staff because of the workload or key employees that drag the team down. You MUST address the workload issues. Overtime cannot be the norm. Find a way to minimize the overtime and compensate when the workload increases. Take the design team: still the same number of designers as four years ago yet two or three times as many sites. Their overtime alone justifies having another body, so get two and ease the pain. Only then will they be able to begin being proactive and not just reactive. I agree with your drive to have employees "want to be here, not need to be here." Help them understand that you want them to be there, too. Do that and every Wand review will be 5-stars. This is all easy for me to say as a guy who has never run a business before, so take my constructive criticism for what you will.

Detrimental

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My co-workers were the best part about this company. I'm still good friends with many of them today years after my exit.

Cons

The management and owners we're terrible. Poor moral. No plan to succeed. No to mention taking the wrong path to creating new product. Don't take untested product to your best customer and expect them to stick around.

Letting me go was the best day of my life.

Friendly on the surface - Toxic behind the smiles

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dave is a better manager than the old group. So that's a positive.

Cons

Loyalty is short for anyone who expects to move up. Filling the owners pockets is priority #1. Constantly under-staffed.

Give up already.

Great company to grow, learn and build expertise

Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Lot of opportunity to learn new tech and explore new technologies.

Cons

There is always a time-crunch and urgency.

Pay attention to people and their skills. There are many good people.

Loads of unrecognized potential

Current Employee - Account Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, great people that work hard and enjoy working together. If our product did what was advertised this company would be amazing! President is in the trenches and really believes in his people.

Cons

Massive divide between upper level management and working staff and rare opportunities to advance or get a raise. Really poor health insurance.

Pay your good people what they are worth and they will bleed for you.

Good place to grow in your career

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time

Pros

Openness, fun, employee growth, cool building, interesting products, fun people to work with

Cons

Parking is an issue and benefits are good but not perfect. Work hours are reasonable but work often comes home.

Worst company I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Supervisor/Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Supervisor/Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My co-workers were the most dedicated and intelligent people I have ever worked with. I'd hire a former Wand employee in a heart beat. I also would like all to know that Chad was one of the best bosses I've ever had.

Cons

I literally had PTSD from working at Wand after I walked out. I vomited as soon as I got home and then spent several weeks in a confused paranoid haze. I am still affected now. I don't think I will ever be normal again.

My schedule was: wake up at 2:30am, work until 4:00am. Arrive at the office at 6:00am. Drive home at 6-6:30pm. Set my alarm for 11pm. Start an overnight procedure and then try to sleep for a few hours. Repeat. I was on call 24/7 and would receive calls from the overnight staff at 1am frequently.

This was my life before I completely lost it. I quit after my daughter said "Stop yelling at me." I hadn't even realized I was doing it and she had done nothing wrong.

Wand will bleed you dry and destroy your sanity. Please, for the love of your family, do not work there.

It would seem that one can dress more casually now and Dave is now running the company which is a plus but please, please, please make the software work and hire additional staff when your middle managers ask for them. I probably would have stayed if I could have hired to my needs.

You can do better than this place - Help desk/Customer Service Rep.

Former Employee - Service Desk (Tier I, Second Shift) in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Service Desk (Tier I, Second Shift) in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- You work with some pretty nice people on the help desk.
    -They have an 'OK' pay scale, not that great in comparison with other help desks I've worked at.
    -Exterior of building is appealing
    -CEO is a cool dude.
    - 50 cents for pop. Greatest idea ever.
    -HQ is close to some good restaurants.
    -You work the schedule you choose. four 10 hour days.
    -Employee lounge is actually pretty nice.
    -If you like multiple monitors setups, you'll like this IT department.

Cons

-Those who are in a position of power will abuse that power and you (in some cases).
    -Scratched Interior floors and some walls have holes in them.
    -For any chance at a promotion, the minimum required employment is Two years, making career advancement a long term endeavor at Wand.
    -Benefits are just awful.
    - Some of the upper management are busy bodies and will stare at you while you work.
    - Many employees expressed a feeling of being imprisoned or stuck where they worked. When someone left it was always immediately or within a two days notice.
    - Documentation of procedures is almost nonexistent.
    -Training is rushed and pretty bad.
    -Trainer is a harsh personality at best.
    - Attendance is harshly scrutinized. 10 minutes late is grounds for suspension without pay, even with prior notice.

Take a good look at who you have running your departments. These are the people who are controlling the moral and are managing the employees who directly effect your customers. Without good leadership, you can expect abysmal attitude those on your help desk eventually adopted. The biggest issue you have is the management 'harassing' your employees.

WAND Corporation Photos