WANdisco

David Richards

It's been emotional…………..

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I worked at WANdisco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I recently left the company having worked in Sales for almost 2 years, having read the reviews on here I felt compelled to write my own.

I leapt at the opportunity to join WANdisco having previously worked for another Big Data startup, I knew how disruptive the space was becoming

I joined initially in Inside Sales with a view to advance into field sales. Sales of our Big Data products were slow for the first 12 months, we were very early to market and most companies were playing with Hadoop in a sandbox or still trying to figure out what Hadoop was. Fortunately WANdisco’s ALM business has seen significant growth year or year and so I was able to meet quota and make money selling those products to the Silicon Valley Top 100 whilst developing a pipeline of Big Data opportunities.

Nobody can deny WANdisco has pretty cool technology; they solve a problem that computer scientists still say is impossible. The company has real patents around the way in which you manage failures of entire datacenters, applied to Hadoop their driving enterprise adoption as all of the fortune 1,000 augment or replace their legacy 3 tier client server architecture to data rich architectures like Hadoop.

Cons

As with the other reviews you read on here I saw a lot of sales people come and go during my tenure with the company. Whilst I enjoyed beers with many of them they simply didn’t have the pace required of a startup and were averse to change – hardly ingredients for a high growth tech start up, never mind one that was public.

All in all my experience has been a good one, there have been highs and lows – it’s been emotional as they say. I enjoyed the opportunity to travel and sell overseas, helping to open our APAC office and train the sales team. I’ve learned a lot and look forward to applying this in my next role. The company seems ready to pivot as enterprises across all industries plan their production deployments of Hadoop

My only advice to sales management would be hire wisely and continue to improve on recruitment practices and attract the sales talent you have hired in recent months. Keep developing your Inside Sales Team, they should be the lifeline of the business and will continue to help you scale. Finally, don’t be distracted by the noise on here, you have a business to run.

Can wandisco make it?

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at WANdisco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very smart engineers and cool technology which everyone agrees on.

Cons

I am leaving because companies are not buying our product and I don't see this changing soon. We've only sold a couple of big data customers. I feel like I am building something that no one wants to buy.

I continue to see great turnover in the sales ranks and our stock price is so low that most employees are under water. If we don't start selling our big data product, I believe morale on the engineering team will suffer and people will leave. I hope our CEO can turn things around because I know my friends want to stay.

Great place to work

I have been working at WANdisco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am in the Engineering group at WANdisco. I have worked in several silicon valley start ups before and have seen all of the highs and lows but with the people and technology this company can go very far.

Cons

Like all early stage company's things can swing like a pendulum but you must expect that surely.

Wandisco Stock down 1000+ points from high.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at WANdisco as a contractor

Pros

Not many pros to talk about but would say that Wandisco does have quite a few Smart Engineers.

Cons

Stock Dropping like a rock.

Stock Dropping like a rock. Stock holders need to replace current management with new management.

Pumped on Hot Air

I worked at WANdisco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good smoke and mirrors marketing. Good engineering on the ALM products.

Cons

The big data product is nothing more than demoware. The product is hacked together and has no real world experience in any production environment. They have a long history of telling people misleading information and claiming things that are just not true. The CEO is a self centered, arrogant manipulator and is surrounded by yes people. It is easy to check the information in press releases against the facts. They claim a bunch of customers and make you want to believe they are big data users when in reality they are all ALM customers. The CEO wants nothing more than to pump up the stock with misleading information and cash out.

Nothing

Great people, amazing opportunities, and they take care of the team.

I have been working at WANdisco full-time

Pros

You work with some amazingly talented people. Management knows everyone by name, and you never have to worry about talking to anyone, from the CEO down. The technology works, and is amazing. Good strategic vision, and they are executing.

Cons

Still growing, so you end up wearing multiple hats.

Fine place if you're not in Sales

Current Employee - Sales Organization in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Organization in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at WANdisco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are some really bright people in engineering that are doing cutting-edge work. The company has nice group functions and they provide nice equipment, such as laptops, to their employees. A friendly group of people, with an entrepreneurial spirit; everyone seems willing to help others.

The company does have patented technology that can bring tremendous value to their customers.

Cons

The biggest problem this company has is sales leadership. "Immature" best describes the sales leadership. They are constantly changing direction; moral is very low, but on the surface everyone puts on a smile. As you get under the veneer, you find unhappy players, unless they are in the right clique.
    Don't be fooled, the negative reviews are not from ex-sales people who were weeded out. In fact, at least two salespeople had closed significant opportunities and believed they were getting a "congratulations" call when it was in fact a "you're no longer needed call." I know first hand of one, and have heard of another sales person engaged in legal action with the company in an effort to collect commission on legitimately closed business.
    The sales organization routinely falls well short of sales goals, and the company is sustained on investor money. Take a look at their financial reports and decide for yourself.

Another big concern is that Hadoop is starting to add the capabilities that WANdisco provides into native Hadoop. If you talk with Couldera or Hortonworks most of their field reps believe Hadoop can now natively do what WANdisco does. That's partially true, but WANdisco does bring a better high availability, replication functionality. However, WANdisco is quickly being necessary only at companies that have highly critical applications. Will native Hadoop eventually cover this use case as well? I don't know. WD has patent protections for their implementation, but there's always more than one way to skin a cat (and achieve high avability)

How long are you willing to accept substandard sales performance before putting a leader in charge.

Engineering Work Here is Super Interesting

Current Employee - Developer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at WANdisco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is solving problems that are pretty fundamental in computer science. In order to do that you need some of the greatest minds in technology that's what we have. There are dozens of PhD's everywhere you look in the San Ramon office. I feel privileged to work with them. I worked at a famous silicon valley tech business before I came to WANdisco but none of them are even close to this.

Cons

I normally feel really smart but here I don't - there are so many super intelligent guys.

Never lose sight of your goal to create amazing technology

This place is just fine!

Current Employee - Tech Sales
    Current Employee - Tech Sales

I have been working at WANdisco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Almost all of the -ve stuff on here must be from ex employees. I hate these things but we do need a more balanced viewpoint. I have been with the company for 6+ months. The three founders are still here and own a big stake. So guess what the REALLY care about the goings on. Yes sales guys come and go (well the bad ones do) but turnover in engineering is ZERO and I mean ZERO. happy employees very rarely post but I can absolutely assure you we have many

Cons

Look this is a very fast growing, still early stage business. You would expect there to be a dynamic ever changing environment.

Try to ignore websites like this!

Great technology, great people

I have been working at WANdisco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company for 12+ months and I don't think I have ever worked in a cauldron of intellect like this anywhere before. This company really cares about solving impossible problems with really smart people. What we are doing in big data (Hadoop) has never been done before like active/active data centers for one. Here you get a chance to work with people who initially invested Hadoop

Cons

In the US I think it could be difficult if you are not super smart there are other technologies and places that would suit you better.

Keep your commitment to the tech.