WANdisco
www.wandisco.com San Ramon, CA 50 to 149 Employees

WANdisco Reviews

Updated Mar 10, 2014

David Richards

Great place to work, wonderful people

Inside Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at WANdisco full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to experience a lot. Experiences, working in a company with offices on 3 continents, well capitalized with millions in the bank - this is a very secure company

ConsAs someone else said - you've got to work hard. This company is packed full with super-talented people.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can keep this going this company could end up being a Silicon Valley legend!

Good Working Environment

I have been working at WANdisco

ProsYou will be working with a group of very experienced talented people, 90 % engineering team is made up of open source contributors and supporters

You will be working are on the leading edge of technology using the latest open source tools to get the job done.

If you live in the East bay your commute is 10 - 20 minutes to work.

ConsIf you don't live on the east bay it is quite a commute.

IF you are interested in IT position within the company most of the IT staff and management is in England. Makes it hard to get tasks done and communication/emails can sometimes take days to get answered.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on making employees fell a part of the company.

What a wonderful company!!

Inside Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at WANdisco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to work. Regular social events. great office environment. young and enthusiastic management. Just take a look at the stock price since flotation - UP 40% in the first 2 months!!!!

ConsWe all work hard - that makes it an intense environment. If you are lazy - this is not the place for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sucking-up... honest... just keep going guys

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best company I have every worked for

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at WANdisco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with some of the best guys in the industry
Innovative, can-do place to work
The company IPO'd without any venture capital... AMAZING!

ConsYou have to be good / at the top of your game

Advice to Senior ManagementJust carry on!

Current leadership will have difficulty developing a solid team and subsequently new products or a strong company.

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at WANdisco full-time for less than a year

ProsThey will pay you money to work at WANdisco. they pay reall US Dollars if you work in the USA and Pounds if you work in the UK. They also pay for the utilities you use whist working at WANdisco. They have internet and phone service that can help you at WANdisco.

ConsLeaderships lacks experience. Very light product selections to offer the public. On the surface this group of people seem to be a legitimate company but when you do your research you will find the CEO David Richards and you will find a past that can only be characterized as that of a huckster. This unethical approach permeates the leadership of this minuscule company so they tend to be trying to remember which lie they told you which leads to an over all lack of confidence in the very young people in senior management positions. There are no original ideas coming from the leadership. Instead they are obsessed in copying their competition and gleaning management protocols form sycophantic older employees whom are too afraid for leaving WANdisco due to finding a new employer at their advanced age.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be honest with your prospective about what is happening to the company and in your dealings with other companies. Do not belittle those that work for you and keep in mind your reputation will follow you. A bullying communication style that may have worked for you as a high school student will not inspire people to grow your company as an adult. See the value your people bring and let them do their job.

It's a refreshing change to work for a company that values people over processes

I have been working at WANdisco full-time for less than a year

Pros- Having a voice throughout the company
- Feeling like your contribution is valued and needed, whatever your role
- Flexible attitude to working hours and environment
- Unlimited vacation policy (more effective than you'd think!)
- Great co-workers who work toward the common goals
- No 'office politics'

ConsPeople working all over the world sometimes makes it difficult to communicate (nothing that can't be overcome with a little more effort though)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

A forward-thinking, progressive company

I have been working at WANdisco full-time

ProsWANdisco is a forward thinking place to work with an informal atmosphere. It's easy to communicate at all levels, and it's not a hierarchical management structure. There are some great opportunities for progression and a real willingness to recognize talent. The focus is on delivery which means every individual has the opportunity to prove what they are capable of. There are also some really great employee benefit schemes in place.

ConsWANdisco grants its employees a lot of autonomy, which means that if they do make a mistake, it is down to the individual.

A fast-paced, exciting place to work with great opportunities for people wanting to aim high!

Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at WANdisco full-time for more than a year

ProsWANdisco is a friendly, young, vibrant environment to work in, and encourages development by giving new challenges and responsibility to people who are willing to take the bull by the horns and step up to the mark. Being a relatively new company means there’s a lot of change, and refreshing new opportunities, no danger of resting on your laurels and doing something repetitive and dull here – really keeps you on your toes!

Unlike many companies, there’s not the usual clock watching mentality and you’re treated like an adult and trusted to get the job done rather than judged on what time you clock in and out. As a result there’s a relaxed vibe in the office, and everyone pitches in when the going gets tough. Everyone in the office works hard, and the unlimited vacation policy and the mature use of this amongst everyone proves that everyone is here to do a good job rather than do the minimum to get by!

If you’ve got the skills, initiative, gumption and the drive, you’ll definitely go far in this place!

Also, how many people can say they have regular interaction and can get some air-time with their CEO?

ConsHours can be long and irregular, but that’s to be expected as HQ is based in California and just means you need to have be fairly flexible and willingness to hop on calls out of hours if required!

Being a new company, there’s no solid/fixed structure process for every single aspect of the business, nor a tried and tested induction program for new starters – however this can sometimes be a good thing as gives people the chance to mold things and try new ways of getting things done and there’s nothing like jumping in at the deep end and finding your feet!

Glad I joined WANdisco

Java Dev (Current Employee)

ProsInteresting technology set.
Nice people to work with.
Face paced environment.
Company growing year on year.
People are not micro-managed and are trusted to get the job done.

ConsNeed more man-power to get all the work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Fast moving, passionate and fun environment

Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at WANdisco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWANdisco is on a good journey, following a successful IPO the business is still growing fast and the future looks very bright. The strategy of joint head quarters in Sheffield and California makes for an interesting environment with lots of opportunities for passionate people.

ConsWANdisco isn't an environment that suits everyone. A start-up mentality is still pervasive and that means the jobs aren't 9-5 and there's not a lot of the corporate infrastructure that some people need to feel protected. People must be able to drive themselves and 'manage up' all of the time - Those who can't adapt to that way of working are unlikely to succeed at WANdisco.

Worked for WANdisco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WANdisco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WANdisco CEO David Richards . All 12 reviews posted anonymously by WANdisco employees.