WANdisco
www.wandisco.com San Ramon, CA 150 to 499 Employees

WANdisco Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

David Richards

This place is just fine!

Tech Sales (Current Employee)

ProsAlmost all of the -ve stuff on here must be from ex employees. I hate these things but we do need a more balanced viewpoint. I have been with the company for 6+ months. The three founders are still here and own a big stake. So guess what the REALLY care about the goings on. Yes sales guys come and go (well the bad ones do) but turnover in engineering is ZERO and I mean ZERO. happy employees very rarely post but I can absolutely assure you we have many

ConsLook this is a very fast growing, still early stage business. You would expect there to be a dynamic ever changing environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to ignore websites like this!

Engineering Work Here is Super Interesting

Developer (Current Employee)
    San Ramon, CA

ProsThe company is solving problems that are pretty fundamental in computer science. In order to do that you need some of the greatest minds in technology that's what we have. There are dozens of PhD's everywhere you look in the San Ramon office. I feel privileged to work with them. I worked at a famous silicon valley tech business before I came to WANdisco but none of them are even close to this.

ConsI normally feel really smart but here I don't - there are so many super intelligent guys.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever lose sight of your goal to create amazing technology

Great technology, great people

ProsI have been with the company for 12+ months and I don't think I have ever worked in a cauldron of intellect like this anywhere before. This company really cares about solving impossible problems with really smart people. What we are doing in big data (Hadoop) has never been done before like active/active data centers for one. Here you get a chance to work with people who initially invested Hadoop

ConsIn the US I think it could be difficult if you are not super smart there are other technologies and places that would suit you better.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your commitment to the tech.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity for A players

San Ramon, CA

ProsThey have real technology, something that no one else is doing with some insanely intelligent people working there. Still small enough for individuals to make a real impact. The CEO still walks around and interacts with everyone in the office.

The big data space that these guys are working in is extremely exciting and the amount of potential here is incredible.

ConsIt can be quite cut throat when it comes to performance and commitment. People who are just looking to slip under the radar and fill a chair 9-5 should look else where. These types are quickly weeded out and seem surprised when that happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove close to a BART station.

Outstanding Sales Opp, if you are hungry, talented and motivated, otherwise look to a tier 2 company that doesn't care.

Regional Sales Director (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsExecutive sponsorship throughout the organization, access to a plethora of resources in order to execute well, highly skilled and talented engineering group that are the most intelligent and humble group of people I have ever worked with. Outstanding Sales and Business leadership that is accessible, motivated, passionate, and enables personal and professional growth while offering an opportunity to make a difference in the future of the company. Big targets with Big payoffs, you won't be the smartest person in the room, ever...nor will you be bored or un-inspired.

ConsI have yet to find a con to working here, it's by far the most ambitious company with the best people in any organization I have been involved in so far in my Career. WANdisco is a nimble, responsive, team environment and a company that I believe will be around 10 years from now, and will be one of those amazing tech stories that people will still be talking about, it is a team that I am very proud to be a part of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pressing on the peddle to solve our customers most pressing issues with innovative products and the people to back them up, keep the new people knowing they are important and as always continue to deliver results to our customers quickly as we are doing today. Keep up the Great work!!!

Happy Employee

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsUnbelievably good tech
    Unbelievably smart people
    Long list of big customers

ConsSome of the sales guys leave a bit to be desired (they get rid of the bad ones quickly though)
    Fast growth like this comes with its problems

Advice to Senior ManagementHire young enthusiastic sales guys they are much less likely to waste time posting on this site and focus on selling our technology. I only posted to give a balanced view.

Great culture at the forefront of next big thing

Solutions Architect (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe greatest thing about working here is the ability to learn and grow. There is so much great work to be done that you can dig right in and define your vision. There are no walls between groups and it feels like everyone is rowing in the same direction.

ConsThe benefits are a little light, such as no company match on the 401K and the fund choices are expensive, unless you choose the index funds.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing the right things to position us for the future. Keep hiring talented folks and communicate, communicate, communicate, which you already do, but too much is never a bad thing.

This is going to be HUGE

Sales (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsUnique Patented Technology
    Hyper-Growth
    Self funded, successful IPO, good stock package, lot's of upside ......
    Smart people, prior success, lot's of experience - IBM, Yahoo, BT,Sage, Riverbed, SAP, EMC, Oracle etc
    Fast paced, high energy, 80-90% growth past 2 years
    Shared vision
    Sales focussed, direct, fair, make decisions quickly
    Earning potential high, 50 Billion dollar market, we're the only company that can guarantee 100% uptime of mission critical apps as the data centre moves to Hadoop.
    Work hard, play hard - collaborative team culture.

ConsTough environment, not for everyone.
    T/O been a little high, some bad hires in S & M, fairly typical of high growth company
    MKTG completely understaffed, needs to be addressed quickly.
    Inside Sales lacked leadership until recently.
    Usual growing pains, leadership seem focussed on fixing

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain passion and agility.
    Maintain high energy, it's infectious.
    Maintain 'start up' feel
    Continue to focus on recruitment + enablement, we're attracting top talent
    Better communication, give recognition more often, growing at this pace requires great people.

Worst company I ever worked for

Sales (Former Employee)
    San Ramon, CA

ProsThe pay was decent, I guess, until they came back repeately to say they overpaid me. I would have left sooner, but the accounting guy was only willing to have me pay back a very small amount over several months, even though I preferred to pay back all at once

Conssales management is unethical at best, with some of the strategies they use to "make their number" . Additionally, they are WAY too hands on. They need to leave people alone to do their jobs, not call them 10 times a day to find out whats going on. Look in the CRM tool! Also, at a national sales meeting, a sales manager took his team to a strip club. REALLY???? And management scheduling conference calls at midnight? No work life balance AT ALL.

HR Writing its own reviews -- that is how bad things have gotten

ProsWandisco used to be fun. We used to focus on customers and doing big things. I never wrote a review earlier because I was focused on my work. Now there is so much distraction it appears everyone is writing reviews.

ConsNew leadership in HR is horrible. It appears they have taken to writing reviews to prop up company. Its really sad but shows how bad things have gotten. When you have a review that gives a list of the companies new leadership came and talks about things like turn over and staffing you don't think anyone can see through that review?

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen HR walks around bragging about their dinners and 1:1s and unfettered access they have to the CEO everyone knows why leadership is so distracted. When HR tells people they should be running other departments like marketing. Leadership needs to get rid of this poison in the company. Lets get back to the way we used to be. Yes you need to bring in new leadership but get people focused on technology and our customers not on old school politics and covering up their own cluelessness.

Worked for WANdisco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WANdisco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WANdisco CEO David Richards . All 26 reviews posted anonymously by WANdisco employees.