WCG Reviews

Reset
2.8
WCG CEO Jim Weiss
Jim Weiss

Pros
  • option to work from home at times (in 5 reviews)

• However, there is always a push for a good work-life balance in the office itself (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • always have to be on call, no work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management gets rid of people almost as fast as they hire them (in 4 reviews)

1. Good place to learn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at WCG (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO has a great vision for the future of communications

Cons

They are still figuring out how to do it all

2. Associate Director

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at WCG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

WCG offers a very good benefit package. The company allows the employees great autonomy to manage their job responsibilities, meaning not a lot of micro managing from the top.

Cons

Poor communication of business process throughout the company which causes inefficiencies and confusion. For senior level positions, work/life balance is hard to maintain due to high volume of workload.

Advice to Management

Focus more on building a cohesive infrastructure to support rapid growth and break down the "silo" mentality that exists between the internal entities.

3. Analytics

Former Employee - Analytics Associate
    Former Employee - Analytics Associate

I worked at WCG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting projects, innovative ways to think about analytics, training/mentorship.

Cons

CEO cult of personality (think North Korea). Terribly compensation. Duplicitous company culture. Escaping was the best decision I made.

Advice to Management

Advice goes unheeded. They really don't care.

Use to be innovative

I have been working at WCG full-time

Pros

I will try to be as fair as I can in my feedback. There are a lot of hyperbolic reviews here and WCG is not a 1-star place (it's not going to fail), but it is also definitely not a 4/5 star company. First, the pros: WCG can be an easy way to get agency experience if you are new to the industry. Barrier to entry is fairly low for entry-level positions. Some parts of the company is better run than others so you might luck out. A few good products and exciting clients.

Cons

Junior staff do not review direct managers (no 360 reviews) so bad people managers can stay on for a long time. Very high turnover rate. People here are either unmotivated by the work or disgruntled from the low pay. This issue was brought up to senior management multiple times and the reply is that lots of other agencies also have a high turnover rate. Even if that's true, shouldn't we try to do better? Have to push hard for a raise every year even when reviews are all positive. People who don't speak up will be severely underpaid and managers will not advocate for you. If you are a junior level employee starting out, you will be insulted by the initial offer. Just ask for at least $10K more. The company talks a lot about innovation, but there's little incentive to actually be innovative. You are expected to bootstrap any new ideas because you will receive very little support. In return, there are no stock/equity options and bonuses (if you even get them) do not appear to be tied to performance. Every year, WCG goes through a restructuring, rebranding, hiring, and firing cycle in Q4. Indicative of a company that cannot accurately project its costs/revenue and has no solid direction.

Advice to Management

Bad managers and poor performers demoralize the whole team. The review process every year is completely pointless. Spend more time recruiting and less time on training.

6. Thriving in chaos is a need-to-have

Former Employee - Analytics in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analytics in New York, NY

I worked at WCG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced work. Opportunities to problem solve, and to work with incredible interesting clients and wonderful colleagues. Chances to bond over and learn through mutual challenges. Fun, social environment. Access to senior executives. Close relationships with direct managers who frequently do their best to get you heard/seen. "Learn on the job" mentality gives you incredible opportunities to become an expert.

Cons

LOTS of problem solving that doesn't extend into operationalizing methodologies to make those fixes long-term- you spend a lot of your time reinventing the wheel. Very little communication about why things are changing/happening. Instability at the executive level. Some extremely difficult and demanding colleagues. Lots of late nights fulfilling last minute requests. Very little structure or training- pro/con: interns work like associates and associates have to sink or swim, but you learn a lot.

Advice to Management

Improve review processes so that people feel like they see a future at WCG.

The Grass is Not Always Greener

Current Employee - Group Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Group Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

What pulled me back to WCG was Jim Weiss, the founder and CEO of W2O Group (WCG, a W20 Group company) whom over the last 14 years has developed a culture based on the same core values that I live by everyday, professionally. Jim is authentic. His approach is transparent. The result is an award-winning set of companies with jaw-dropping talent, who make an impact in the healthcare, technology and consumer global brands’ industries everyday. As Jim says, “ultimately, we are in the business to partner with our clients to enhance their businesses.” I’d even take that a step further and say that we don’t just enhance businesses, we enhance lives -- the result is growth -- personal and professional, inside and out. I’m happy to get to work with such amazing people so that we can enhance our clients’ businesses, enhance their lives, our lives, our world.

Cons

Because I have children, I have to drive and parking is a challenge/costly. The benefits do offset this one con. If you're coming from the city or the South Bay, there's plenty of transportation options.

Group Director

Current Employee - Group Director
    Current Employee - Group Director

I have been working at WCG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really smart people that are actually cool and fun, lots of good accounts to work on and lots of opportunity - if you take advantage of it. It is also a pretty flexible environment - no one really cares where you work from, what hours you work, etc. as long as your clients are happy, your teams are happy and you "make it happen"

Cons

Sometimes work-life balance can be hard, but after a few years you learn how to manage that. Also, I get that it sometimes can be a crazy environment, and if you need a lot of structure this place probably isn't for you - but in my eyes, the lack of structure that other people reference in their reviews leads to innovation and opportunity (think entrepreneurship). For people like me that happen to thrive in ambiguity and change (and find it exciting) you will excel in an environment like WCG/W2O (or whatever we are called this week- this is where the ambiguity part comes in). I do think when you come in as a new employee, we pay above the industry standard, but after you have been here a while, I'm not sure the pay is as competitive as raises can sometimes be lackluster. I know peers that have left to go to other agencies and are now making 20-30% more than I do, which kind of sucks.

Ok, so can you handle the truth?

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at WCG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think that the interns are having a good time by the 4-5 stars and the CEO reviews. I think HR is having a good time spinning the feedback by finding new ways to cover up the reviews. I wonder if they throw darts to see who has to do it?

Cons

Look, not here to blow smoke--it's a small company that talks big. Talk, spin, and convince us all that we are "disrupting" things, like the analytics practice and "digital" products. Well, last time I checked every agency down the street and around the world uses analytics to some degree and pitches it as a core offering. We aren't doing anything new, but no one can really tell that to anyone...it's the worst kept secret around here. The Q3-Q4 layoffs every year get tiring as the bets are not realized and we "pivot" to the next bright shiny object. The "expansion" of offices of 1 or 2 people isn't something to get excited about...spin. Note: The "failing fast" bets that are placed, happen every single year...if anything, nothing changes around here, except the people who get cut and never really replaced with better talent only new names or as I refer to them: future cuts. Honestly, this is just an old school PR company that is trying, struggling, to embrace new technology and new solutions, but lack talent and FEAR the CEO and upper management as the owners to all of the "thought leadership." The CEO is "...HR, Ops, Account Lead, President, CMO, Owner, King..." to paraphrase our last town hall meeting to explain the culture here. I think "judge, jury, and executioner" is more like it. This company moves on his word, we all agree he is the boss, got it, message received. I've spent my time here trying to impress him and fear him as he wants it to be--promotions to use as retention tools, billability as a measure of likability and the sole measure of performance, and he loves the cliques...as mentioned in other reviews--find one fast. I am glad the junior folks are having a good time here--they need to give you "real" work since they won't pay for more senior talent and enjoy "free labor." Maybe it's a win-win for both parties. HR is great for responding to each of the reviews, even if it's just plain PR spin--c'mon, whoever is responding, it's not very credible on the follow-up actions (informing leadership of feedback, etc.), you know nothing changes due to the leadership team. If you are new, and looking at this from a job opportunity, I'd read some of the reviews of people who have more than 2 years of experience to get to know this company better.

Advice to Management

Stop the fear.

Entrepreneurialism Taken Too Far

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at WCG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Junior employees who make the most of the company's blatant disregard for organization and structure are able to accelerate their careers. As long as you put in the effort and make your passions known, mentors and managers will allow you to do work that you are entirely unqualified to do.

Cons

There is absolutely such a thing as too much freedom. Though my ego appreciated the absurd level of responsibility I was entrusted with, the lack of supervision made it impossible to learn the 'correct' way of doing things. Fortunately, it's possible to learn retroactively. Middle management is catty and cliquey, living their own power trip, and pulled straight from a former sorority girl catalogue. It's possible to stay removed from the drama if you're lucky enough not to report to one of the queen bees, but good luck making friends.

Advice to Management

Staff accounts properly: when an Account Director leaves, put another Account Director on their former teams. Also, "mandatory fun" isn't fooling anyone.

WCG Response

Oct 10, 2014 – HR Team

We appreciate your feedback. As you stated, individuals can pave their own way here as long as they fit our high performance and entrepreneurial culture. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy ... More

11. Analytics Internship

Current Employee - Analytics Intern
    Current Employee - Analytics Intern

I have been working at WCG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is very open and friendly. My boss gives me constructive criticism to help further improve my work. App project was a great experience to collaborate with different team members across the country.

Cons

Work load for everyone in the office gets heavy sometimes which makes it hard to be mentored on a project.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring diverse members who can bring different specialties to the table.

WCG Response

Oct 10, 2014 – HR Team

Thank you for your feedback. We enjoyed hearing that you found that the app project was a rewarding experience-- we appreciate our hard working interns!

RSS Feed </> Embed