WCG

Updated November 9, 2014
3.1

WCG CEO Jim Weiss
Jim Weiss

Pros
  • They expect you to work 24/7 including weekends but they allow you to work from home from time to time (in 5 reviews)

• However, there is always a push for a good work-life balance in the office itself (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work-life balance can be hard, but after a few years you learn how to manage that (in 9 reviews)

• Lack of direction from senior management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Group Director

Current Employee - Group Director
    Current Employee - Group Director

I have been working at WCG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really smart people that are actually cool and fun, lots of good accounts to work on and lots of opportunity - if you take advantage of it. It is also a pretty flexible environment - no one really cares where you work from, what hours you work, etc. as long as your clients are happy, your teams are happy and you "make it happen"

Cons

Sometimes work-life balance can be hard, but after a few years you learn how to manage that. Also, I get that it sometimes can be a crazy environment, and if you need a lot of structure this place probably isn't for you - but in my eyes, the lack of structure that other people reference in their reviews leads to innovation and opportunity (think entrepreneurship). For people like me that happen to thrive in ambiguity and change (and find it exciting) you will excel in an environment like WCG/W2O (or whatever we are called this week- this is where the ambiguity part comes in). I do think when you come in as a new employee, we pay above the industry standard, but after you have been here a while, I'm not sure the pay is as competitive as raises can sometimes be lackluster. I know peers that have left to go to other agencies and are now making 20-30% more than I do, which kind of sucks.

Ok, so can you handle the truth?

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at WCG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think that the interns are having a good time by the 4-5 stars and the CEO reviews.

I think HR is having a good time spinning the feedback by finding new ways to cover up the reviews. I wonder if they throw darts to see who has to do it?

Cons

Look, not here to blow smoke--it's a small company that talks big. Talk, spin, and convince us all that we are "disrupting" things, like the analytics practice and "digital" products. Well, last time I checked every agency down the street and around the world uses analytics to some degree and pitches it as a core offering. We aren't doing anything new, but no one can really tell that to anyone...it's the worst kept secret around here. The Q3-Q4 layoffs every year get tiring as the bets are not realized and we "pivot" to the next bright shiny object. The "expansion" of offices of 1 or 2 people isn't something to get excited about...spin. Note: The "failing fast" bets that are placed, happen every single year...if anything, nothing changes around here, except the people who get cut and never really replaced with better talent only new names or as I refer to them: future cuts.

Honestly, this is just an old school PR company that is trying, struggling, to embrace new technology and new solutions, but lack talent and FEAR the CEO and upper management as the owners to all of the "thought leadership." The CEO is "...HR, Ops, Account Lead, President, CMO, Owner, King..." to paraphrase our last town hall meeting to explain the culture here. I think "judge, jury, and executioner" is more like it. This company moves on his word, we all agree he is the boss, got it, message received. I've spent my time here trying to impress him and fear him as he wants it to be--promotions to use as retention tools, billability as a measure of likability and the sole measure of performance, and he loves the cliques...as mentioned in other reviews--find one fast.

I am glad the junior folks are having a good time here--they need to give you "real" work since they won't pay for more senior talent and enjoy "free labor." Maybe it's a win-win for both parties.

HR is great for responding to each of the reviews, even if it's just plain PR spin--c'mon, whoever is responding, it's not very credible on the follow-up actions (informing leadership of feedback, etc.), you know nothing changes due to the leadership team.

If you are new, and looking at this from a job opportunity, I'd read some of the reviews of people who have more than 2 years of experience to get to know this company better.

Stop the fear.

Entrepreneurialism Taken Too Far

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at WCG full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Junior employees who make the most of the company's blatant disregard for organization and structure are able to accelerate their careers. As long as you put in the effort and make your passions known, mentors and managers will allow you to do work that you are entirely unqualified to do.

Cons

There is absolutely such a thing as too much freedom. Though my ego appreciated the absurd level of responsibility I was entrusted with, the lack of supervision made it impossible to learn the 'correct' way of doing things. Fortunately, it's possible to learn retroactively.

Middle management is catty and cliquey, living their own power trip, and pulled straight from a former sorority girl catalogue. It's possible to stay removed from the drama if you're lucky enough not to report to one of the queen bees, but good luck making friends.

Staff accounts properly: when an Account Director leaves, put another Account Director on their former teams.

Also, "mandatory fun" isn't fooling anyone.

Oct 10, 2014HR Team

We appreciate your feedback. As you stated, individuals can pave their own way here as long as they fit our high performance and entrepreneurial culture. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy ... More

Analytics Internship

Current Employee - Analytics Intern
    Current Employee - Analytics Intern

I have been working at WCG full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The environment is very open and friendly. My boss gives me constructive criticism to help further improve my work. App project was a great experience to collaborate with different team members across the country.

Cons

Work load for everyone in the office gets heavy sometimes which makes it hard to be mentored on a project.

Keep hiring diverse members who can bring different specialties to the table.

Oct 10, 2014HR Team

Thank you for your feedback. We enjoyed hearing that you found that the app project was a rewarding experience-- we appreciate our hard working interns!

Analytics Internship

Current Employee - Analytics Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at WCG as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The training is a little intensive as it feels like learning how to do everything from scratch. However, everyone gets a hang of it pretty quickly. The people are awesome and so nice and friendly. They help without complaint and have patience for you to learn all the new tools etc.

Like with everything in life, it is what you put into it. If you work hard and put in the hours, then you learn more and thrive. However, there is always a push for a good work-life balance in the office itself. People want you to rest and encourage breaks.

Cons

The only con is not fully understanding what you are doing at first. You learn so much its hard to get a grasp on everything in the first day. There is a huge learning curve- but you get the hang of everything.

Also, it's a pro-active environment. If you need hand holding this is not a place for you. You have to go out there and ask questions and seek out projects. Don't be shy- just talk and discuss things with your manager.

Aug 15, 2014HR Team

We appreciate your feedback. We know it’s about the people and we’re so glad to hear that you enjoy your team members and work environment. As you stated, we have a fast-paced, entrepreneurial ... More

What and amazing experience!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at WCG as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Before interning at WCG I assumed that an internship implied excel sheets and boring project that wouldn't see the light of day. I couldn't have been more wrong. I touched one excel sheet during my time at WCG, and took part in awesome projects. At WCG I was seen as a person, with real human emotions and opinions. I was valued for all of it. I was on projects where my opinion mattered and was important. I care not if that was them "faking it". I felt valued and important. I came in every day to kind faces and people asking me how my weekend went. My manager cared about how I was handling the workload. She checked up with me every Monday to teach me, and to ensure I was not overwhelmed. I have learned "real-life" business experiences here. I can't expect that from my pricey university. I owe that knowledge to this company. They made it a point to teach all the interns.

We were assigned a group project called "The Internship". This project placed each intern in a group with interns from all the offices around the globe. Lesson #1: Working and communicating with others about serious matters via technology. The project entailed the development of an App prototype. Lesson #2: Find a problem and find it's solution. We had to work on a marketing plan to go along with our business model. Lesson #3: How do you market something digitally? The project came with many lessons; working with people. More importantly, working with other interns. It's very obvious that we are all trying for the same goal. We all want to be offered a job at some point. With that comes tension on whose ideas work better. Lesson #4: Work alongside people, not against them.

Suffice this to say, I learned a lot with "The Internship" project. That wasn't an opportunity WCG had to give us. But they did. Because they care about the interns. They care about our future. If this hasn't been made clearly apparent, here is just another example.

"A Break to Educate" is a time current employees take out of their day to make a presentation about advances in tech, marketing, healthcare, and many more industries. i learned HTML here. I couldn't make a website right now, but I learned more HTML than in my class at my university. I was surprised to find that people would take time out of their busy day to teach employees. I learned about what WCG is going to evolve and grow with technology, and it excites me. There are amazing aspects to this company, and I could go on for awhile about man small details. Like how walls covered with whiteboards display the inner thoughts of some of the smartest people I have ever met.

Every day driving to work I was excited to get started with all the new things I had coming

Cons

It wasn't easy to start off at WCG, the projects are sometimes thrown at you with no direction. I felt that sometimes I was being "annoying". Asking questions at WCG is great, but sometimes they aren't welcome, and that can be discouraging.
    WCG is very high paced. I sometimes would look up just to catch my breath, but by doing so I would be taking a quick break,and that might hinder productivity. The people here are always going and always thinking. You feel behind if you ever want to just take a quick break.
    Distractions can occur in any workplace, but with the high intensity that WCG has there are a lot. At one point in time there can be ten conversations going on around you, and you can't focus on your work. This is mostly because what they are talking about interests you, and you want to listen.
    It was difficult at first to understand the office culture. The atmosphere is hard to decipher. It exudes a casual feel, but one must not dwell in that realm for too long. There are people here that will make it very apparent that you are being too casual. I was surprised to find that office politics play a role here. Sometimes people don't get along, and you never find out. But at WCG, you find out. It adds to the casual atmosphere, but it also makes you fearful that people might be talking poorly about you behind your back. There were people at WCG that had small problems with the interns, and they decided to run to HR about such small matters. We all decided we would have rather the bothered individuals to come us about the problem. It upset us that people were not informing us on what we did wrong, so that we could never do it again.

I wish that on my first day someone took the time to tell me how the technology works within the company. I would also advise teaching interns who does what in each setting. Some people have positions that I would want to have one day, and I would like to see what that fully entails. I think it would also be beneficial if policies were made clear to interns on their first day, so we know what is okay, and what is not.

Aug 15, 2014HR Team

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you feel like your internship was a meaningful experience and provided value for your career, specifically with the Internship app project, W2O ... More

Great internship experience

Current Employee - Analytics Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at WCG part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I can confidently say that in just two months I've gained more skills and knowledge than I did in my last year of college. Everyone on the analytics team is smart, capable, and ready to answer any question you have. You can tell that WCG invests heavily in their intern program. The time and care they put into training us and fostering leadership opportunities goes unmatched by any other job I've had. Overall it's been a wonderful experience and I feel lucky to work with such a smart and skilled team.

Cons

Can't really think of any, except that they always run out of fresh fruit.

Aug 15, 2014HR Team

Thank you for your comments. We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed your internship and working with your team members. To your point, we have focused on enhancing our internship program through ... More

Review

I have been working at WCG full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment, but easy to adapt.

Cons

There are no cons associated with this company

Opportunity to thrive and accelerate your career at WCG for those who want it...

Current Employee - Client Relationship Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WCG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There were 3 reasons why I came to WCG and why I've remained here for half a decade:

1. Independence Has Its Perks: I knew that I wanted to be part of an independent agency that had the agility to hire ahead of the curve and make investments in technologies and people that could give the business a competitive advantage.
    2. Work with Brilliant, Strategic People: I was blown away in my interview by all of the strategic and experienced folks I was meeting with – I thought that I could learn something from my future colleagues. Five years later and I'm still learning from them every day.
    3. Career Trajectory Driven by the Employee: It became clear to me in the interview process that this was a very entrepreneurial environment and your career would be whatever you desired at WCG - I couldn't imagine where I am today and look forward to where I'll be 5 years from now.

Other pros are: great access to the CEO, ability to get introduced to/work in other communication specialties and help introduce the future of the communications industry.

Cons

If change, accountability, ambiguity or a fast-paced working environment frighten you, then this isn't your place. I want colleagues who want to take an opportunity by the horns, own it and get results.

Staff training/education and internal communications should be a more of a priority than it is at present.

Aug 15, 2014HR Team

Thank you for your feedback. To your point, our entrepreneurial, fast- paced environment emables those who are driven to by limitless career opportunities and are passionate about their work. We ... More

Evolving but Great

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at WCG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like working at WCG because I am provided opportunities to create my own career path. If you want to do something here, you do it. You're not limited because of age, title, etc. I also think the people here are the smartest in the business and my colleagues are people that I genuinely enjoy spending time with every day.

Cons

WCG has been on an evolving path the last few years as we figured out who we were, who we are, and who we want to be. It's been a bit of a roller coaster but I can say with confidence I trust and believe in where we are going.

The last six months have been a great testament to our future-keep on keeping on.

Aug 15, 2014HR Team

We appreciate your feedback. To your point, we have an entrepreneurial culture with a high caliber of talent which presents many opportunities to create your own career. We have experienced rapid ... More