WCIRB Reviews

2.8
Bill Mudge

1. Good work / life balance

I have been working at WCIRB

Pros

Great new offices - very modern and open atmosphere
    The vibe is good relaxed management style - focused on modernizing systems and new delivery channels. Technology has made good progress. But despite being primarily a data services company - it's not on the leading edge. Some interesting IT projects around a new Analytic Portal and some good dot.net engineering projects.

Cons

There are two populations - new hires are younger, more technical who can but heads with the longer tenured staff (who average around 15 years of service). That said, the company is definitely changing - customer satisfaction is very high for this kind of business

Advice to Management

Don't spend as much energy on non-value added control process, There is a lot of busy work here.

2. Management

Former Employee - Data Entry Operator in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Data Entry Operator in Oakland, CA

I worked at WCIRB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are awesome. H. R.department are the best at what they do, the best.

Cons

President he's all about that money. Doesn't care about the old timers. As long as you have that degree, it doesn't matter to him how long you have work there he'll replace you.

Advice to Management

It's not always about the degree but it's about the dedication and hard work.

3. We're getting there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at WCIRB full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As odd as it may sound, this company has a big heart. We do have a CEO who comes from the insurance industry and who is driving this company to modernize and put customers first, but he is also compassionate and able to put himself into employee's shoes. It is true that we are trying to change really quickly and that is hard, but we are getting there. The industry - our customers - are incredibly impressed with what they are seeing. That means everyone who works here understands what the CEO is trying to accomplish and, as far as I can tell, agrees with his vision. I think decisions are made with the best interest of the people in mind to the extent that is possible.

Cons

Unquestionably, we are moving fast and it can be really exhausting. We did move to Oakland and for about half of the employees, this is a hardship. We have taken away some benefits that many people here liked. And yes, we have had to lay some people off which is very unfortunate and difficult, but these decisions are not made lightly (the last 7 words are a pro, not a con).

Advice to Management

Some people in leadership roles would benefit by getting to know their people better.

5. Love/Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WCIRB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits; stable company; mostly good people I work with.

Cons

Management is trying to turn the entire place upside down very quickly. Morale is at an all time low because of the move to Oakland in March 2015 and the layoffs that will precede the move. Human Resources has been the same staff for over ten years; they need some new blood in there.

Advice to Management

You are trying to do way too much too fast. Slow down a bit.

6. When you can't find anything else, work here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WCIRB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The location in downtown San Francisco. That won't even be a pro in April of 2015 when the company is packing up and moving to Oakland.

Cons

Management. The CEO really wants to change the culture and the company, but it is never going to happen with the management that is in place. They are still and will always be the "but we've always done it this way" types. No meaningful change is going to happen with any of them still in place. For being in such an innovative city, this place is seriously behind the times. It's like working in the late 90s.

Advice to Management

Stop doing work just for the sake of doing work and start

7. Good place for college grad to get a start in workers' comp.

Former Employee - Underwriter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at WCIRB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compressed schedule (every other Friday off) was great. Easy commute location and insurance jobs were stable/secure. The IT and clerical jobs did not seem secure.

Cons

Company was very slow to change. Opportunity for advancement took years. Lots of beaurocracy and process. Innovation not encouraged.

8. company on a downward spiral

I have been working at WCIRB

Pros

Flexible Work Hours, Compressed work schedule if desired (every other Friday off)

Cons

Upper Management has gotten out of touch with the common employee. Core Values such as Integrity, Collaboration and Innovative are preached but very little action associated with those words are ever taken. When new ideas are brought up, they are shot down without any explanation.

Individuals whom tow the company line and agree with upper management get promotions / new job titles created without the job ever being posted to the public (against company policy) while the individuals whom speak out against upper management is scolded and frowned upon.

Annual salary raises are low (2-3%) and barely covers the inflation in the bay area.

Advice to Management

Company Morale is at a all time low. Please stop thinking that sitting in on our meetings or giving pre-scripted speeches will help you get in "touch" with the common employee.

Instead of looking outward and improving the WCIRB's outlook to the outside world, it is time to look internally and try to fix the issues that has this company on a downward spiral.

Great Place to Grow Your Software Engineer Career

Former Employee - Senior Applications Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at WCIRB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well funded (semi-public agency) so company has the time and resources to do things right. Recently implemented new system based on .NET stack and now building it out. Lots of enhancements but also opportunity to build new components. Rarely go into crunch mode but instead work load is challenging but doable.

Cons

You will have to learn some of their business which is based on sophisticated actuarial analysis of lots of job related data - not the most common application around or easy to explain to your friends. Also you will spend some time doing what would be called maintenance programming.

Advice to Management

Provide some longer term career development paths within the company when someone signs on so they at least know where they might be heading.

10. A stable, friendly, repetitive environment

Former Employee - Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at WCIRB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very stable place to work, with job security and friendly managers and co-workers. My position had no surprises; a steady stream of work and the independence needed to accomplish goals with little stress.

Cons

Seemingly little room to move up the ladder as people hold on to their positions. Pay rate left something to be desired.

Advice to Management

Paint the walls in the office something other than institutional yellow. It's depressing. Also, contract workers are used but not given the opportunity to be hired on in an fair time frame.

Very satisfied and happy with the WCIRB on the whole.

Current Employee - Senior Applications Develeloper in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Develeloper in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WCIRB full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

WCIRB offers retirement pension to its employees.

Cons

Technical advancement limited somewhat limited.

RSS Feed </> Embed