WD-40 Reviews

Updated July 24, 2014

4.6

WD-40 President, CEO, and Director Garry O. Ridge
Garry O. Ridge

Great place to be and work, most conscientious bunch of folks (co-workers) I've ever encountered.

I have been working at WD-40 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Just about everyone constantly works towards seeing the Company successful, fantastic atmosphere!
    Good set of values, practiced by senior management, talk is walked.
    Flexible balance, tools to work most anywhere, but can be turned off.
    Compensation stellar with significant retirement contribution.

Cons

Small company in a big marketplace.
    Career growth is tied to Company growth in many cases, often good to be happy where you are.

Keep doing what you're doing.
    Great that people (staff) development is one of the primary drivers to success.

Great People make you feel like family.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at WD-40 full-time

Pros

WD-40 is a great place to work, the people collaborate well and are very flexible. They have excellent values and don't play politics as much as other companies. I liked the straighforward culture.

Cons

its a smaller company so there are less opportunities to move up in the organization.

A good place to start or finish your career

I have been working at WD-40 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

3:00 Fridays, work/life balance, "learning moments" and not mistakes, relaxed company culture, generous profit sharing/401k plan, all employees eligible for annual bonus payout

Cons

low turnover means less room for career advancement and an old way of thinking, not a young, fast-paced, or innovative company, outdated office space

Take the younger generations and those with less company experience seriously.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Best Company I have Worked For

I have been working at WD-40 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big brands but essentially a small company, leaders are very approachable, co-workers are great to work with, great company values that each member of the tribe lives by on a daily basis

Cons

None that I can think of

Keep up the good work

A fulfilling professional journey...still in progress.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at WD-40 full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great brands and great people drive enthusiasm and commitment to team success. Opportunities to grow and learn and thrive.

Cons

Limited opportunities to "telecommute." Lean machine that can contribute to increased stress levels in terms of workload.

Encourage more people to challenge the status quo. Enhance "formal" tactical job training or loudly promote "learn by doing."

People Driven & Opportunity Rich

Current Employee - Administrator  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at WD-40 full-time for less than a year

Pros

WD-40 Company, a gem in today's rough economy where I have been fortunate enough to obtain a wonderful position that I love. This is the first company I have been to where you can tell everyone is interested in protecting the product AND each other. I feel very valued and equally value my team.

Great things about working here:

- All are willing to teach you if you're open to learn.
    - Bright minds are a plenty.
    - TEAM is not just stated, it is practiced.
    - If you show your commitment you will be openly appreciated.

Cons

There are stress hurdles, but what new position doesn't hold some of those?

Management here is wonderful so far. I really enjoy being here. It's a great fit.

Enough wrong to give you plenty to do, but enough right to keep you there.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at WD-40 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Genuinely good people.
    The office closes at 3:00pm on Fridays to start the weekend off early
    Recognizable product makes your job easy to explain to others
    Great location - go to the beach in San Diego for your lunch break!
    Offices for most employees. Not many cubes.
    Very small company means access to anyone up the chain of command.
    Very friendly atmosphere. Drop in on the CEO whenever you want.
    No layoffs through recession.

Cons

Average age is pretty high.
    Fairly high resistance to change. IT systems need major overhauls. Marketing strategy needs redo.
    Sub-par office space. Departments are broken up into suites which hinder communication.
    Not a particularly eco friendly product.
    Outside of WD-40, other brands are generally sub-par.

Keep hiring great people to keep the friendly atmosphere.
    Invest in updated IT systems.
    Move to a new office space.
    Change marketing strategy to educate public on new uses.

Great company, wonderful people, outstanding products

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in San Diego, CA

I worked at WD-40 full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked there many years, and through the course of it saw many positive changes and adaptations as needed to grow the business. The management personnel were generally people-oriented, and yet always set a high bar for standards of performance. Compensation and benefits package was generous, as was the encouragement to grow and develop.

Cons

New blood is sometimes more valued than company experience, especially during times of evolution/change. Of course, this is not uncommon when trying to overcome sacred cows and institutionalized obstacles.

I would encourage them to continue supporting and developing their people and and to be careful not to surround themselves with too many "yes" people - I suppose not very groundbreaking as this is generally good advice to most CEOs.

WD-40 is an ideal supportive, learning environment that promotes team work and expects accountability.

I have been working at WD-40

Pros

WD-40's culture is amazing! It has a small family feel with a global presence. The people are visionaries in their field. Leaders are required to empower and support their teams to ensure success. We have a strong sense of community and are individually responsible for the company's success. It is a pleasure going to work everyday. It is a very respectful, fun and productive environment. Short day Fridays and amazing benefits and profit sharing helps too!

Cons

There are very few cons to working at WD-40. We have a very collegial environment that requires loads of meetings... which is probably a con in the eyes of most people.

No Squeaks at WD-40 Company

I have been working at WD-40

Pros

Generally, all employees at all levels are committed towards the Company's success. Most are accountable and hold others to accountability, creating a working environment that fosters more effort and teamwork than many other organizations. Corporate values are clearly articulated and flow down through the Company as its lifeblood, supported fully throughout. A "get-it-done" attitude permeates most business functional areas, adding to the unique atmosphere. There is freedom to communicate with respect for fresh ideas and review. Because of the fairly low staff count (+/- 300 employees globally), traditional hierarchical boundaries are minimized, facilitating action.

That the flagship brand has created its own sub-culture among customers, instantly bringing recognition, is an added bonus.

Cons

In some areas, traditional beliefs seem to overpower modern facts, subverting attempts to create efficiencies where they could be beneficial. Frustration results from a team of incredibly smart and focused people who are unable to accomplish the tasks and projects they see as making real difference.

Our CEO guided us recently to a book titled "What Got You Here Won't Get You There" (Marshall Goldsmith with Mark Reiter), and two concepts presented could be minimized. 1 - Stop "Winning too Much". 2 - Stop "Adding Too Much Value".

Worked for WD-40? Contribute to the Community!