WDS Reviews

David Ffoulkes-Jones

1. Trainig

Current Employee - Training in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Training in Boise, ID

I have been working at WDS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good People, Environment, Great Training, Good Benefits, Nice Lunch Room

Cons

Hours, Low Pay, Rude Younger People, Schedule options, ect.

Advice to Management

To look carefully at all my qualifications and my 25 years of Customer Sales (Onthe phone as well as in person.), Service, Collections, Account Consultations and my vast Electronic Back ground in the Computer Industry as well as many other electronic multi-media devices. And not only do I know and understand high end electronics, I also know how to build, assemble, service and troubleshoot them.

2. Dead End Job with minimal pay

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at WDS (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn to communicate with end users because that is what you do all day.
    The job is not very complex.

Cons

Upper management cares about numbers, not you.
    Lowest paying center given the job and requirements.
    Job is repetitive and stressful.
    Nearly no room ability to rise within the company.
    General Bureaucracy and corporate culture.

3. Customer care agent good people to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID

I have been working at WDS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are always willing to help

Cons

the work hours could be better

Advice to Management

I like working there

5. The struggle.

Former Employee - Customer Service - Technical in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Customer Service - Technical in Boise, ID

I worked at WDS

Pros

Everything is scheduled, the training is decent and gives you plenty of time to learn how to do your job. Friendly people. Clean spaces with a good break rooms. Great overtime pay.

Cons

Stressful environment, supervisors and management aren't supportive. Always working, often stay after work for hours. not enough training.

Advice to Management

Give more pay and training.

6. Good entry-level type job if you like tech.

Former Employee - Technical Support in Boise, ID

I worked at WDS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy interview and hiring process. Paid training. Chance for advancement from CSR to more supervisory role.

Cons

Large learning curve. Escalating calls to more experienced agents or management was almost impossible, they expected you to handle the customer no matter what their issue. Every single minute was managed for example, If you took too long on a call, didn't take your break within a few minutes too soon or too late of scheduled time you had a discussion with a manager.

Advice to Management

More time during training to take various types of calls. Help someone when they have a difficult customer instead of making them feel abandoned or unable to get help from another agent.

Not a good long-term career

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at WDS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid training and continuing education were a positive experience. The company has a variety of shifts available, and is generally willing to work with employees to find a shift that works for the employee. The company offers referral bonuses at my (now former) location. Some of the supervisors are very knowledgeable and helpful. The company offers insurance, paid vacation, and a 401(k). Attendance policies are easier to work with than they have been at some companies I have worked for in the past.

Cons

I worked at WDS for more than three years. After the company was purchased by Xerox, the conditions went downhill fast. The facility (especially carpets and workstations) is filthy, computer and telephony equipment is frequently malfunctioning, HVAC is a joke with some areas very cold and other areas too hot (during any season), most of the outdoor break area is designated for smokers which leaves non-smokers with the front or side parking area, or staying indoors. Lunch breaks are for only 30 min which is OK for employees when they bring a lunch, but leaves precious little time for going anyplace else. These things were manageable.

During the time that I worked at WDS (later known as WDS-Xerox or WDS, a Xerox Company) I received several awards and other recognition from the client for my skills with customers, but I was fired less than three months after being moved to a new supervisor and new contract (for the same client) because my stats were not good enough for WDS/Xerox. One of the most important stats to WDS is called "AHT" which means Average Handle Time, and reflects the time (in seconds) that an agent spends on the phone with each customer. In my opinion, WDS/Xerox has demonstrated that they would prefer that agents meet AHT goals, even if the quality of the service is sub-par.

Until recently, the Boise location provided both customer care and tech support to a single client (a well-known cell phone company). Although the customer care contract has been terminated in favor of expanding the tech support contract, it is worth mentioning that agents taking customer care calls were penalized if the customers were calling to disconnect one or more lines of service. While it is reasonable to ask agents to ensure customers are aware of options they have other than disconnecting a line, WDS/Xerox penalized any agent who processed more than 13 disconnects per 1000 calls each month, by making the agent ineligible for any bonus. This led to some agents lying to customers and stating that a line would be disconnected when it had in fact been suspended instead, or giving customers other excuses for not disconnecting the line or lines. This, in turn, led to some agents getting a disproportionate share of disconnect calls, and not getting any bonus as a result. (This practice continues at other contract call centers operated for this same client, including centers operated by Xerox in other states.)

Supervisor promotions seem to be based on who is in favor with management rather than on competency -- some of the supervisors are very competent at what they do, but others don't seem to know basic information about the client or the job, and they lack the people skills needed to cover this lapse.

In my opinion, supervisors have too much authority when it comes to deciding who to keep and who to fire: This leaves supervisors free to base a firing decision of factors that are not appropriate, and then say anything they want to management about the reason for the termination, if they are even asked.

Advice to Management

This advice is for someone at the corporate (not local) level: Have someone you trust come to Boise and work in this location for awhile, as an agent. Do not let anyone local know who they are. This will be a long-term assignment as the training takes weeks, but you need to understand what is really going on here, and why the turnover rate is higher here than at other call centers in the local area.

8. Okay Job in a Tough Labor Market

Former Employee - Technical Support in Boise, ID

I worked at WDS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Support was often available
    - Training was paid at full rate
    - Had a very supportive boss
    - Co-workers were pleasant
    - Managers were usually willing to help
    - Patient while agents learned the job
    - Unlimited overtime available with extra bonus wages
    - Bonus pay if metrics are high enough

Cons

- Terribly low paying due to there not being good jobs in the area
    - The bar for bonusing was moved too high so almost no one can make a fair wage
    - The place is very dirty and contagious conditions spread quickly
    - Being open 365 days a year means that you are required to work holidays
    - Promotions seemed not based on merit but on favoritism
    - Your experience is highly dependent on your supervisor, some will offer no assistance whatsoever
    - Minuscule raises mean that after five years you could be making only 1.50 more
    - Customers often have unrealistic expectations and request data that you legally cannot disclose like call records, etc.
    - Health insurance with high co pays and too low a wage to pay them

Advice to Management

Raise the base pay or lower the bar for bonuses and you'll have more productive agents and better results. Emphasize your core values of offering support enthusiastically to your front line agents since they are actually generating profits.

9. Tech Support Agent

Former Employee - Tech Support III in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Tech Support III in Boise, ID

I worked at WDS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a generally friendly environment. The people you will work with will help you get through the day. Most of the time the customers are nice and easy to take care of.

Cons

You will get a lot of angry people yelling at you. So You have to be able to brush that off. Lately the management have been getting stricter and stricter, which makes it difficult to know what to do. They've been letting go of a lot of people because of it.

10. Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at WDS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment
    They will work with you to help you improve rather than firing you right away
    They reward you for good performance with improved pay and giveaways
    they offer decent healthcare and time off

Cons

its a call center so it takes a certain type of person and can be stressful also most positions available are for nights till midnight

11. The worst job I ever had!

Former Employee - Technical Support in Boise, ID

I worked at WDS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will hire anybody. If you are desperate for a job, this is the place to go.

Cons

Horrible pay. Horrible benefits. The actual center, itself, is FILTHY!

Advice to Management

Have a wage that is competitive with other call centers in the area. Look into a better benefits package for your employees. Clean up the place!