WDS UK

David Ffoulkes-Jones

Call Center Experience

Agent (Former Employee)
Wichita Falls, TX

I worked at WDS UK full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly people, lot's of encouragement and straightforward rules. If you apply and have a fairly clean record, you will most likely get hired.

ConsTraining emphasized how to talk to customers more than how to solve their problems. Result was that you find yourself speaking to customers with little to no idea on how to resolve their issues. The goal for all employees appears to be to become a supervisor or roamer as fast as you can so you can get away from the phones.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide balanced training. Analyze calls/use data to determine what agents will be faced with most (i.e. ordering replacement phones, submitting tickets, providing upgrades, etc.) then train/evaluate this before students hit the floor. High turnover is most likely due to the "fake it 'til you make it" mentality. People leave because they become discouraged from repeatedly failing the customer and feeling incompetent. Remind supervisors and roamers to not assume agent is "not trying" just because they ask for help. Ensure agents have at least 6 months phone time before they are eligible to become supervisors. Also, make lunches 45 minutes since most agents get stuck on phones beyond shift changes.

Total Chaos

I have been working at WDS UK full-time for less than a year

ProsYou get benefits, but not very good ones. You get a paycheck but it does not go far. You work indoors, but be willing to work whenever they decide to change your shift with no notice.

ConsNo advancement. Extreme schedule shifts. Sudden firings and shutdowns. Unhappy staff. Poor equipment with lots of failure. General bad reputation. Coworkers may or may not have been screened by recruiters. Managers may or may not bully their teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house from the top down. Oversight from the top with people who actually have soft skills along with some basic math skills if you are going to base performance on metrics.

Job review

Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at WDS UK full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery relaxed atmosphere overall. Good open door policy

ConsNo significant cons for this company, job or the environment. You get what you put in to it.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad environment, Bad HR, Bad Supervisors.

Agent- Postpaid (Former Employee)

I worked at WDS UK full-time for more than a year

ProsI had an amazing supervisor at the very end. The previous sups- I seriously I could have done their job for them. Frustrating as heck.

ConsSave yourself some headaches later.This is the WORST employer I have worked for

Advice to Senior ManagementRevist some policies and actually talk to the people taking phone calls.

Fun place to work most of the time

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at WDS UK full-time for more than a year

ProsLaid back dress code, fun people to work with even the managers for the most part.

Conscan be stressful it is customer service over the phone afterall pay was low also though the bonuses helped

No complaints from me thus far

I have been working at WDS UK full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people to work with, friendly supervisors.

ConsTroubleshooting can be repetitive, but so can most jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication about expectations.

Makes the Bills

I have been working at WDS UK full-time for more than a year

ProsStarting pay is great at $9 a hour, indoors, great people you meet with and work with so there is the times of when there is jokes to be had.

ConsYelling customers, to much worrying about your stats and always having to worry about pushing to keep a customer on the line and make them understand company policy

Advice to Senior ManagementForget the numbers and just let us do the job.

tech

I have been working at WDS UK full-time for more than a year

Prosflexible schedule if your in school

Conssurveys, nothing is ever good enough, if your not dating your sup you will not move up!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making people feel like they are worthless....

Current Employee

I have been working at WDS UK full-time for more than a year

ProsRoom for growth. Good training for the Agents on the floor. Meetings held to get feedback from team to improve processes. HR staff is always there when needed and friendly. Spririt/moral building activities to bring the team together.

ConsNewer contract-still working out some communication kinks. Newer Supervisors-need more training and growth to better serve their Agents.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore positive feedback to employees to encourage them in their positions. Annual reviews on time. Expectations laid out clear to employees for them to hit the floor running. Everything is a team effort, we must become a strong bonded team and we will do amazing things.

Alice Threw the Looking Glass

Senior Technical Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at WDS UK full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was a steady paycheck with the opportunity for some overtime and bonuses. They were willing to train and employ people without technical backgrounds, including individuals from the State Prison, who otherwise would not have a job. You were able to build vaction and sick pay after 90 days of continues employment.

ConsThe LACK of A TRUE "Open Door" policy to communicate with HR regarding any grievances...and that would be (at least at the time of my employment) because the "head" of HR was the Company's President's son! They also tended to "short" the workers paycheck; logging a representative out of the queue even though they were still on a call; sometimes for an additional hour. The time clock was not representative of the hours worked; only the time logged in, and out of, the queue.

The other MAJOR problem with the company was the LACK OF TRAINING! I truly felt like "Alice" dropping into another world...at the time of my employment WDS had a "wireless provider" as their contract. I am an "older" individual who never grew up with cell phones or wireless technology, and after 3 weeks of training I was "thrown threw" the "looking glass" to resolve different issues.

There are exams given on the various technologies involved in the business, however, everything was "open book" and you were allowed to have your fellow students help you; there also wasn't any "time frame" to finish...and if all else failed...the instructor gave you the answers.

It's hard enough to hit the phones with the lack of training...but after a couple of weeks, you were not suppose to ask anyone else (including your manager) for help or advice. I was told to "fake it till you make it." Several people quit within the first week on the phones because of the stress; by week 2, most of the people I went through training with were looking for another job or already working somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a "clue" from "ZEPPO'S" online store. I read in the news recently where one of their customer service representatives had the LONGEST recorded customer call; 10-1/2 hours I do believe. The customer's issue obviously couldn't be resolved in the 'normal' 12-1/2 minutes allowed...

You need to keep in mind that "sometimes" the CUSTOMER needs to be 'fixed' before their issue can be RESOLVED.

Worked for WDS UK? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WDS UK reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WDS UK CEO David Ffoulkes-Jones. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by WDS UK employees.