WESCO International Reviews

88 reviews filtered by
2.7
WESCO International CEO John J. Engel
John J. Engel

Pros
  • Company offers good benefits and PTO options with holidays (in 4 reviews)

• Deep pockets, branches located everywhere, good hard working "low level" employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • In the list of employee attributes (hard working, resourceful, etc (in 3 reviews)

• No one knows how to run a project (in 3 reviews)

1. Cannot recommend enough

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at WESCO International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

During the time that I have been with them, WESCO has been absolutely fantastic to me speaking both from a veteran's perspective as well as that of a husband and father. This has been a challenging time in my life as I have had a lot to learn on multiple fronts, but WESCO has worked with me the entire time and I am proud to call myself a member of this organization.

Cons

I can't think of anything major in terms of a negative experience that I have had at this company.

Maintain focus on employees and diversified growth, and you will continue to have motivated and dedicated employees.

2. Sales Manger

I worked at WESCO International

Pros

Company does provide good benefits and supports several different segments of other service providers. The ability to drive inventory if needed can be a plus.

Cons

Company structure is not aligned to support local market and pricing is not consistent. Sales growth is seldom mentioned as an initiative.

3. Confusing! False job advertisement

I have been working at WESCO International

Pros

I have Nothing good to say about this company!

Cons

Not doing anything near my job description. No explanation of benefits or company policies. Poor management. Management not interested in any suggestion. You are to say ok and nothing else. No breaks .

Honesty, listen to your employees, maybe a half an hour break. Keep closer to schedules

5. Uncertainty

Current Employee - Expeditor in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Expeditor in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at WESCO International

Pros

Good 401k, medical benefits are ok, educational reimbursement

Cons

Uncertainty with company development and career development if you are in a branch that is not corporate

Managerial issues as far as using fear instead of positive reinforcement for employee growth.

6. Stable company, very limited promotional opportunities

I worked at WESCO International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice people to work with. In some cases, mentorship is available from the direct supervisor. Reasonable workload.

Cons

Very limited promotional opportunities, favoritism, not the most generous benefits package available among Fortune 500 companies.

Focus on succession planning and keeping your top talent. Offer competitive salaries.

7. Sales driven. Company has no sense in core business.

Former Employee - Financial Services Analyst
    Former Employee - Financial Services Analyst

I worked at WESCO International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to say except that branches are closed on weekends.

Cons

Subsidiaries do not work together. Sales driven and financial services department suffers because of lack of sales leadership to better the company's balance sheet. Branches compete against one another and do not care about financial services. Everyone is overworked because WESCO is too LEAN.

Hire more people to manage a better workload. Centralize billing of customer accounts instead of having branches bill the customer. Revamp internal systems. Reward and compensate individuals that are succeeding and not those that have been with the company for x number of years. Stop letting subsidiaries operate under their company names before they were acquired by WESCO because the customers are confused. Make customers play by WESCO's rules instead of trying to meet their every need. More support needed from executive management for financial services department.

Learn to listen and act on what you hear, and leverage the talent your have.

Current Employee - "worker Bee" in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - "worker Bee" in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at WESCO International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Throughout the company you find highly motivated and talented colleagues. Some work for managers who encourage creativity and risk taking. The potential to do great work exists. The company's emphasis on Sustainability and LEAN Value Creation should be applauded. Compensation is average.

Cons

The telling statistic is the % of people who would recommend WESCO to a friend. This is not trending in the right direction and it comes from three areas:
    1. The company has moved from a Sales & Oper. focus to a Financial focus. Quarterly results aer important, we don't support our core business and then wonder why it is down.
    2. We demonstrate limited success in leveraging our existing talent and encouraging creativity and risk taking. Colleagues are afraid to make a mistake - bad consequences?
    3. We know how to attract talent, but do we know how to nurture and keep that talent? Too many losses.

Talk to the people who do the work. Balance the power. HR is a division along side the other divisions, not over them. Be bold..Reward initiative, creativity and risk-taking. Make a statement and then back it up with action that communicates to the "worker bees" that you mean what you say.

Unless you are in sales....

I worked at WESCO International

Pros

Very sales focused, lack teamwork as a core value.

Cons

Personal growth is difficult if you are not in the sales department. Top brass have NO idea what it is like at the field level. The company has 'hands in so many pots' that they can't successfully focus on an area of business to truly succeed.

10. Account Manager

I worked at WESCO International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, large company with lots to offer

Cons

Management thinks company is greater than it really is.

11. An ok job with limited promotion opportunities

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at WESCO International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere
    Fairly easy work load
    Quarterly bonus
    Yearly raise
    Ability to leave work at work

Cons

No clear path to promotion
    monotonous work

Management needs to work on a clear path to advance your career within the company. WESCO loses a lot of great employee's because there is no clear path to advancing within especially with Inside Sales being a horizontal move.

WESCO International Photos