WESCO International Reviews

Updated August 14, 2014

2.9

WESCO International CEO John J. Engel
John J. Engel

Pros
  • Solid company; great remote warehouses; good benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Deep pockets, branches located everywhere, good hard working "low level" employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • In the list of employee attributes (hard working, resourceful, etc (in 3 reviews)

• Wesco has no training, no mentoring, no support (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Career! Enjoy the customer side of my business

I have been working at WESCO International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pretty much left alone as long as I'm growing my business

Cons

Sometimes work to get customer request passed through if they are small opps.

Great learning oppurtunity

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst

I have been working at WESCO International full-time

Pros

salary
    number of office around the country could live anywhere

Cons

not all departments interat well

share more

Could be better!

I have been working at WESCO International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Being able to work close to home.

Cons

Working with some people that seem to get away with what ever they want to do and nothing gets done about it!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The boss is everything...beware

Current Employee - Bus Dev Manager
    Current Employee - Bus Dev Manager

I have been working at WESCO International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company..... theoretically promotions available

Cons

Don't present ideas above your pay grade....very political

Create an environment that allows sales

Micromanaged and unfulfilled

I have been working at WESCO International

Pros

Pay is average/above average. They improved the number of PTO days a few years ago. Executive management has a great vision for the future and the company is extremely financially healthy.

Cons

Poor employee morale, negative environment. The micromanagement will drive you crazy.

Decent place to work but not one of the best.

I have been working at WESCO International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company culture is to leave at 5 every day which is fairly unusual for large companies. I assume this is because the company used to be mostly focused on branches which had no reason to stay late. Pay and benefits are decent. Nobody ever thinks they are paid enough but I have no complaints. And there is nobody cracking the whip like I have experienced at previous jobs. In general, the atmosphere is laid back as long as you're getting your work done. As one of the few local Fortune 500 companies, WESCO looks good on your resume.

Cons

In the list of employee attributes (hard working, resourceful, etc.), length of service is #1 by a mile. They will take a long-time mediocre employee over a newly hired superstar every day of the week. This obviously has caused retention issues since superstars are used to being rewarded and know they are in demand at other companies. 2% annual raises aren't helping retention but it's not like other companies are throwing around 10% raises either. While I think the many acquisitions have helped keep us afloat financially, we do a poor job of integrating them into the company. Managers are quick to throw each other under the bus which I think points to poor senior management.

I would suggest hiring more management from outside because things will never get better the way they are currently. There do seem to be some attempts by HR to change the culture and I've heard managers discuss retention being a focus but there are just too many long-timers in charge.

So many opportunities and wonderfully supportive management.

I have been working at WESCO International

Pros

Wesco is still growing. It is a blank slate full of hope and opportunity at all levels. The company and management care about the progression and interests of the employees.

Cons

Some business units are challenging to work with and are not fully integrated into core business and culture.

Bottom of the barrel employer

Former Employee - Inside Sales, Driver, Warehouseman  in  Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales, Driver, Warehouseman in Livermore, CA

I worked at WESCO International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Deep pockets, branches located everywhere, good hard working "low level" employees!

Cons

Micromanagement, no local inventory, good ol boy club, hidden agendas, internal strife, bad benefits package, WESNET ZD operating system (ZD stands for zero defects) is a joke! Bad customer reputation, especially on the West Coast, inability to firm alliances with key manufacturers, stuck in old mentality of doing business, think they are a bigger player than they are and tries to throw their weight around, almost zero training. Management doesn't listen to nor respect anyone below them. In fact my manager ran around one particular day quoting the movie Damn breakers in which they use the "n" word an exorbitant amount of times in reference to a blsck dog that that they have named "n" word! I am a black employee and this REGIONAL MANAGER IS THROWING THE WORD AROUND LIKE ITS FREE MONEY! Speaking of money, if you get s job with WESCO, negotiate for the highest salary you can, because if you don't get it when you start, you will probably never see it, seeing as how raisesare insulting unless you are in upper management.High turnover because they refuse to hire more people, and make you cover 3-4 positions WITHOUT PROPPER COMPENSATION, so they burn you out! I personally worked inside sales, drove a delivery truck, and worked will call, warehousing, and some outside sales all at once for almost 2 years! If you can get into the good ol boy club at WESCO you are set, peruse, get product knowledge if you can, make contacts, get your name out in the industry, and hop on the first train out of the station. Too big to even realize the internal problems.

Fix the broken culture that is known as one WESCO, and work on the aforementioned cons listed above. Stop burning out your good employees

From outside: great. Internally: terrible micro-management with attitudes that affect growth and talent retention.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at WESCO International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is financially strong. Acquisitions have been smart and generally increase the market share and deliver consistent results. Almost always across the company's middle positions, you will find amazing kind, hard-working folks to work with. They have the ability to attract talented people.

Cons

But then, they can't keep that talent.

At the corporate level, there is an internal culture of keeping employees, even valuable ones held back in terms of compensation and positions.

Micro-managers: When one is versed in the field, you realize have NO idea what they are doing and will focus on the most unimportant things while the castle burns.

Professional growth is stagnant except for the connected higher ups: branch managers, district and regional managers and top level execs. I see hard working Branch Operations people struggle with the tough day to day work making a third of the salary some Branch Managers make. These roles are the heart of the company and they are stuck in these roles, for bad pay, for a long, long time.

Good Ol' boy's club is evident in treatment of female counterparts (and I'm a man).

In mid level positions, wage increases are a joke, 3% is the yearly average if you qualify (whatever that means). The acquisitions that are integrated to the company hold grudges against other acquisitions or the parent company itself.

Training of any sort is absent from most professional positions, even entry level in the company, specially IT, Operations and Branches. Different "little big bosses" fighting over each other are incapable of following a standard. Consistently defective internal software that sets back sales and ops. Confusing, contradictory instructions from the managers that clash in emails, calls and even initiatives, only hurt the hard working middle position folks that *actually* get the job done.

People in the mid level corporate positions allow your company to work and progress. The large scale initiatives are great on paper, but you have micro-managers managing them. This is true of the technology folks, the branch ops managers and your hard working administrative folks. You need to provide better leadership for these groups and this level. *You need to pay better.* You need to train and you need to sponsor the professional growth of your base employees, provide a path to move up. Some people are able to get away with minimal work, some are putting in unending hours to get the job done and there is no compensation, recognition or assistance.

*That is called bad management.*

These managers have no clue who's leading what and the people doing good work are crushed with a small paycheck. This is the sort of company one would like to stay with, but can't if you are in these folk's shoes. Their top level leadership has great vision and plans, but internally have no idea, no connection or relation to the people getting it done for them. And that's a true shame.

Great company

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at WESCO International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong outlook, focused on growth, excellent career advancement opportunities, freedom to manage yourself, training opportunities are great, top down push for a lean culture.

Cons

Weak spots in mid-level management that allows employees to lose focus and adopt an "it's not my job attitude". When an employee leaves, the company also tends to increase workload of remaining employees instead of providing a replacement even when they should.

Worked for WESCO International? Contribute to the Community!