WET Design

Updated November 22, 2014
3.9

WET Design CEO Mark Fuller
Mark Fuller

Pros
  • The best working environment I ever seen (in 4 reviews)

• Because of the creative environment, it can be exciting and interesting work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication and finger pointing when problems arise is rampant (in 2 reviews)

• Like I mentioned, there is a set time limit for projects, which is completely understandable (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Life changing company

Former Employee - Operations in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in Burbank, CA

I worked at WET Design full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team work is the only way this company operates. Lean methods with innovative ideas and designs

Cons

The culture is unique until the light goes on. Then you can not drink enough of it.

BIC talent comes from many walks of life. Flexibility will raise the bar even higher

Caveat Emptor - Beware the Lure

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Sun Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Sun Valley, CA

I worked at WET Design full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Physical Work Environment - The work environment is aesthetically pleasing and well laid out. You won't find a myriad of cubicles here. Office structure is very open and is a refreshing change to the dreary structure you'd find at most places.
    Compensation - The base salary seems to be higher than average but comes at a cost.

Cons

Benefits - Health insurance is really only geared towards yourself. If you want to add family members expect to pay a premium. There is no matched 401k or equivalent retirement. Contributions come solely from yourself. Vacation is minimal and difficult to take any days regardless due to constant pressure from unrealistic project timeframes.
    Workload - Expect long hours and weekends trying to complete projects and pick up the pieces of past failures which are never ending. Everything seems to happen last minute and is always an emergency. A big factor is high employee turnover which leaves few seasoned experts. The reinventing of the wheel is continuous and repeating past mistakes are often as a result.
    Minimal Growth - For the same reason as above, almost everyone is in the same boat experience wise. It is difficult to grow professionally when there is no heritage. Most peers have only one year experience. While there are many skilled employees it remains a challenge to grow from your peers when their talents are used on seemingly trivial tasks to rush development and implementation of products.
    Research and Development - Seemingly none. The approach generally consists of reverse engineering other products or designs to meet requirements and deadlines. This limits an engineering creativity since most products will be quickly envisioned by a designer and mocked up then dumped in your hands to create the production solution. The design and vision is sold to the customer before a solution exists and often times devoid of any input for engineering. Most companies allocate time and funds to research and development so that ideas can be advertised and implemented within before overselling oneself but not here. For engineering, the group always seems to be behind the eight ball and scrambles to make ground once a project is already promised. To make matters worse, you could be at the midnight hour with a design only to have a change directed by the owner because it isn't as he envisioned. The last minute changes will end up being required, often with little testing or qualification before they reach the field.
    Unrealistic Time Frames - Projects are sold along with set time frames to delivery. This is expected at most places but here it seems that schedules are crafted without engineering input and thought into what is realistic. The Pyramids were not built in a month. As such. you get what you pay for, whether it's time or money. Expect products to reflect that.
    High Turnover Rate - Expectations are high and you have a short time to prove yourself. Hence Caveat Emptor. You may be paid significantly more than your last job but as such you are expected make miracles happen with no room for error. Even if you inherit a poorly designed product if you fail to meet delivery schedule or have failures in the field than you better have a job lines up because you will be let go. Beware leaving a job that you liked simply because you thought you could get a higher pay and prove yourself here. Many people did the same and are now unemployed. People will disappear and won't know why except "they weren't a good fit" or some other ambiguous explanation. The business model also does not lend well to retention so even if you are exceptional, if there is a lull in revenue, expect to be let go. This is across departments which is especially challenging since you often have to interface with purchasing, production, manufacturing, etc. Expect to babysit many aspects that would normally be seamless elsewhere. It is difficult and time consuming to constantly bring production personnel up to speed when they have never worked with comparable products and they will get changed out constantly.
    Finances - The company always seems to be flirting with collapse. Paper paychecks and delays in payroll are not uncommon. Again, the business model requires a steady cash flow in with little buffer to prevent this.
    Perception Trumps Functionality - Many common engineering practices are thrown out in the name of image.

Allow the departments to run under their selected directors without interference. Generally they are skilled and capable but cannot work effectively if handed down edicts that compromise their effectiveness. Involve engineering up front on critical decisions which include project time frame.

The Worst Job of My Career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sun Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sun Valley, CA

I worked at WET Design full-time

Pros

The only reason to work here is if you absolutely cannot find a job anywhere else.

Cons

The owner is an arrogant, dishonest individual who will not even look you in the eye when he speaks to you.
    The company absolutely refuses to pay their supply base in a timely fashion (or sometimes at all). The culture reminds one of an odd cult with strange priorities (The first team anyone?.....a shop floor that had better look a certain way but is utterly not designed for function.....memos written in their own cultish language / grammar...17 people at two tables in a single room with no partitions trying to conduct business all at once......).

Truly a waste of words.

An Outstanding Opportunity

Current Employee - Illustrator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Illustrator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at WET Design full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is no other company that I know of that has such integrated and cohesive teams able to dish out quality work within a set time limit. They hire you for what you can do best, and they put these unique skills to use. Often times, they will want to here input based on your specialty and have this input planted firmly into the project. It does not seem like a job, more like an environment meant to challenge your skill and use it to create something beautiful. What you put forward has lasting effects and the results are amazing.

Cons

Like I mentioned, there is a set time limit for projects, which is completely understandable. I see this more as a helpful push than a con because it leaves less time for procrastination.

Interim Controller

Former Employee - Interim Controller in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Interim Controller in Universal City, CA

I worked at WET Design as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very creative people designing exquisite water features. Much of the mechanical features of the systems were designed in-house. Very enjoyable to work with such talented people.

Cons

Because most of the systems were very close to being one-off designs requiring many hours of development and design cash flow was a recurring issue.

With the exception of the cash flow problem I have none. I felt that accounting was at the lower end of the spectrum and design and engineering was the main event. It was the art of the design and fabrication that propelled the company.

A Troubled Village with angry citizens and poor economy

Current Employee - Engineering in Sun Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Sun Valley, CA

I have been working at WET Design full-time

Pros

The pro's are the facility on this inside is beautiful although it is in one of the nastiest communities in Los Angeles. Freedom to come and go as you please and lots of young people bringing in ideas.

Cons

The ideas of the young engineers are always the blunt of any failure since there is no guidance from the owner or top management. Lots of yelling but no guidance. We just lost one of the best people we had in management. He knew his stuff and was helping all of us engineers. He was tough too but he helped a lot.

Don't lose any more good people, stop pretending that this company is Apple or anything like Apple. We are not. Stop the revolving door of people. We fire people faster than any company I have ever seen.

Brilliant!

Current Employee - Human Resources Team in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Team in Burbank, CA

I have been working at WET Design full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The People, the Projects and the Environment!
    Taking my kids to experience our features and seeing how much they laugh, play and leave with happy memories. This always reminds me of our Goal, creating Magic!

Cons

Our Environment is unique and therefore not for everyone. Those that thrive at WET, are those people that have learned to transmute thoughts into matter. We can transform raw-steel into solid gold bars, can you?!?

There is always room for improvement, even if we are perfect! :-)

Good People

Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at WET Design full-time (less than an year)

Pros

WET is a small company where you get to know your coworkers and a hands on engineering environment. The owner of the company is involved in every product during the design process.

Cons

There are a lot of politics at WET opinions are a strong influence on the design process.

First Team Member

I worked at WET Design full-time (less than an year)

Pros

not what it makes out to be

Cons

no growth for opportunity and it's not what you would think

Sr. Project Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Sun Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Sun Valley, CA

I have been working at WET Design full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best working environment I ever seen.

Cons

It is not ISO certified company.